Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
there's a place in ottawa i've had the luxury of dining at a couple of times called atelier. it's one of the best restaurants in the country. super creative chef, does a lot of innovative and modern tasting menus.

we did the nye menu one year which was insane and at one course the chef (the unfortunately named marc lepine) came out and just sort of made it rain black truffle onto everyone's plates with a fancy hand grater

thats my truffle story thank you for coming to my ted talk

also was well past buzzed that night even though i ordered the half portion alcohol pairing because the sommelier was a cool dude who just decided to keep filling 'er all the way up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

BMan posted:

"it's the same amount of medicine I was supposed to take, shifting it around a few days won't cause any problems", he thought

that brings us to the emergency room, where we are now

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

rotor posted:

hmm maybe it IS a threat display

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Nybble posted:

one time at work I had dropped something below the sink (no cabinet) and found that someone had stashed a smirnoff liquor bottle there, right in the crevice between the plumbing and bowl.

i get that the computer toucher open office situation often doesn’t have drawers to store stuff in, but man there’s got to be a better way. airplane bottles perhaps

my sister worked at a music venue in high school and a pregnant lady snuck a bunch of booze in in airplane bottles

because she wasn't actually pregnant, she just took the weights out of a sympathy suit and filled it with booze bottles

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Sweevo posted:

many years ago i had to go to the US on a work trip and the looks you get when you order a beer at lunchtime...

highly variable ime

like obviously lots of the us is puritannical but i personally have never gotten shade for having a beer (though i stick to low abvs) in a lunch sitch before.

i don't make a huge habit of it though, i personally don't really like boozy work environments - not because i care if someone has a beer now and then but because it almost inevitably ends up getting someone sloshed that really shouldnt be

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

in a well actually posted:

gonna keep reposting this

just completely insane

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

maybe the real torment nexus was the posters we met along the way

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Elder Postsman posted:

5 day shipping should be normal imo. no one really needs a thing in 2 days. and if you do well just go to the store and get it.

i've had this thought before. like, for the vast majority of things having a once-per-two-weeks delivery day would be fine, and even good? you expect to get things delivered say every other friday and in the meantime you just add various things to carts and then they all show up on that day

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

mystes posted:

This isn't that different from amazon's amazon day feature although i guess that's once per week

ah they don't do that here; i hadn't heard it before.

honestly though i'd have no real problem with even pushing it out to once a month. if i could get reasonable healthcare i'd be fine living in some distant part of canada with everything shipped in every couple of months lol

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

infernal machines posted:

but the first hit is always free

just don't do the same drug twice, i guess.

up against the wall for crimes against coffee

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

FCKGW posted:

best buy is great, they do 1hr delivery here as well. just some dude in an Uber goes to the store and picks it up and bring it to my door.

they price match Amazon and microcenter and in general have been very flexible on open box stuff I buy so I get good discounts. got my wife’s Apple Watch for half price and it still had apple care on it from the person who returned it and forgot to cancel it :awesomelon:

ya i don't think best buy here does the 1 hour delivery but apple does, which was a weird but fun way to order a mini earlier in the pandemic lol

staples started doing free next-day delivery during covid (originally no min which is rad, now min $35) which yeah is just some staffer in a panel truck

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

lol corps shouldn't be allowed to do stock buybacks

obviously i'm ignorant of all these financial tools but i don't care, it never seems to be used in any decent way

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

yuck, all yuck

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

none of this should exist i will not be taking any questions thank you for your time

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

lol home trends aren’t new. just easier to spread these days.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Wayne Knight posted:

nah, this is a step further. they normalized the view that the only valid styles are the ones that they have products for, cobranded with their on screen personalities. If it doesn't look like this it's "dated". They have wrecked some gorgeous homes on that godforsaken channel because they didn't conform to their identity.

bring back wood paneling you cowards!!

yes my point is that magazines did this first

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

idk, it’s hard to suggest that x won’t work when all the big examples of x by some of those companies have just been priced really high and also not good enough to work. imo that doesn’t mean that the fundamental idea is fatally flawed so much as no one’s figured it out yet (this doesn’t mean that apple will be the one to do it, but i think they have a better chance than most)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

ADINSX posted:

I’ve been posting about this for awhile now and think we’re at that point. For 40 years the gains we made were based around: computer gets smaller, computer gets cheaper, computer gets faster, computers talk to each other. Now we’ve hit peak small/fast/cheap/chatty and where do we go from here?

AR/VR/wearables seem like a bust. Even the Apple Watch and Fitbit and stuff felt more like fads compared to the ubiquity of the smartphone. Crypto is a big decade long scam. Self driving cars are a lot harder than we thought… etc etc

Maybe there is something to the chatgpt stuff and that’s the hot new thing, who knows, but one thing I have noticed is that these new frontiers are a lot more technically challenging than the past and aren’t gonna pay off as quickly as we’re used to

i think there's a discussion worth having here but it's hard to suggest that the apple watch is a fad simply because more people have smartphones. i mean they've sold like 200 million of the things

i think there's a lot of room for sort of background connectivity / intelligence in the home that we haven't really touched yet

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Apr 27, 2023

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

ADINSX posted:

That’s more than I expected, but will it continue? Will we be wearing smartwatches in 10 years? My wife and I both bought one but no longer wear them (mine gave me anxiety)

like a lot of this sort of thing it all comes down to how you use it. perhaps i'm reaching but was the anxiety from the notifications? i hate notifications and explicitly block them from everything except like imessage, the health app, and one or two other things. definitely no email. it's one reason i haven't gotten an apple watch, though the health features are robust enough it's got me thinking about it.

i think smartwatches generally will probably be more ubiquitous in ten years simply because the features of today will probably be available on any $50 junkband

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

speaking of silly tech though did y'all see the "sony reality display"

someone at sony built a product that incorporates that 3d wiimote demo from 16 years ago and put it into a 16-inch, $4000 monitor

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

ADINSX posted:

Yep, the notifications. It was like this final straw for me. I could turn them all off but then what’s the point, I’ll just pull out my phone if I want to check something

well yeah then maybe you're just not a good fit for a smartwatch, which is fine. like i said i like the idea of the health tracking, and being able to control content while exercising, say, could be handy. i'm sure there's a few other dinky little watch apps id prolly use. apple pay would be super handy on my wrist since i still mask in stores.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

haveblue posted:

I only just discovered that when using airpods with your phone it will spontaneously read new messages to you without prompting

I don't receive a lot of messages so I'll see if this is annoying or not. if I did receive a lot I'd probably turn it off immediately

yeah that's a setting, when i set siri to french for practice i discovered it. esp because it reads out my so's english texts in a hilarious french accent

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

ADINSX posted:

I’m probably not. But even still: the smart watch is part of that smaller/cheaper/faster trajectory. Like you said, smart watches will be a commodity when the hardware is ubiquitous. How much smaller cheaper and faster can things get?

Home automation is cool and we’ll obviously continue to see all sorts of new products but my response was to qirex’s question “what if there is no next big thing”. Home automation has been around for decades… since the 60s if you count that cool demo from the Seattle worlds fair (they automated a home via telephone commands). If it was going to be the next big thing why hasn’t it taken off yet?

that goes back to what i said earlier. just because something has been around doesn't mean it's been any good during that time. until very recently home automation has been (from a normie pov) stupidly complicated and expensive and hard to understand. each generation of products has made it easier and more useful.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Achmed Jones posted:

power consumption/storage are the areas where gains need to be made for stuff like watches to really take off imo. if an apple watch lasted a week it'd be a lot more tempting, even if it does have a stupid screen that should be removed

95% of customers wouldn't buy one without a screen. just buy a whoop or something

i agree though that battery gains need to be made but i expect those will happen over time

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Internet Janitor posted:

it's possible it just isn't useful in as many contexts as i'd like to imagine, but i feel like epaper technology could enable a huge range of novel and handy devices if the screens weren't extremely patent-encumbered and only available in a small range of sizes

there are e-ink displays in all sorts of sizes these days - my local grocery has replaced all of their price tags in the entire store with three colour (white/black/red) e-ink displays. you can also get them in phone screen sizes, tablet sizes, monitor sizes, and they recently came out with like a wall poster sized version

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

bob dobbs is dead posted:

early 2000s, iirc?

there's no way there were common e-ink price tags in the early 2000s, surely? it wasn't even invented as a technology until 1997

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Achmed Jones posted:

tell me what fitness tracker satisfies the following and i'll buy it:

1. integrates with apple healthy without obnoxious sync apps (fitbit is out)
2. no screen
3. no monthly fee (the rings and it looks like whoop are out)

this is a legit request btw, not me being sassy

don't the misfit trackers work with the apple health stuff? i've never used one but they've been around for a few years now (their gimmick has always been a screenless design)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

bob dobbs is dead posted:

im talking prototypes yeah. first commercial b2c displays was late 2000s but b2b can do shittier deals and be more expensive

the first real shipping products with e-ink were things like the sony reader in 2004 i think? the earlier shelf label stuff used lcd, not e-ink, those are newer than that

nobody means prototypes when they ask about when something became a thing imo

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

4lokos basilisk posted:

i found that my iphone does a fairly good job of tracking step count per day just on its own
it is inaccurate for bicycle stuff and i dont really do jogging or other kind of exercise that is easy to track

sassy me would say that it is perfectly possible to exercise without a smart device, but i do understand that being able to see kpis helps to motivate people sometimes

i would also like for phones and smart watches to have a battery life measured in weeks once again, and that we as a civilization would stop accepting that it is ok when wireless headphones degrade to uselessness due to battery wear over the course of 1-2 years

getting a phone with long battery life is easy: stop using it. old phones called and occasionally played snake on a 12-pixel display. you too can get longer battery life if you just make phone calls occasionally and never turn on the screen of your phone to look at anything

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

4lokos basilisk posted:

my old iphone se that i only use for some radio in the morning lasts barely 1 day if i forget to close the radio app after stopping play
i literally do not use it and it is still consuming battery - this seems purely a software issue
by setting it to conserve battery and turning on flight mode i can stretch one week though

well, a well-used, several-year old battery is definitely going to last a shorter time, i guess

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Wayne Knight posted:

I work in tech in the hopes that I can someday make enough money to not have to use tech. Current society subjects you to an unhealthy frequency of updates and phones (and especially smart watches, which seem extremely harmful imo) normalize having to constantly monitor for changes (so you can see ads as you do so). Yes you can disable notifications, but the fact that they are not disabled by default makes them actively harmful to end users. This is like when people say twitter isn't bad because you can just use it differently to make it less bad. Things should be judged based on the default outcome, since that's all 99% of people will experience.

If I could have a personalized "morning edition" and "afternoon edition" PDF roundup sent to my remarkable that included emails, news, etc. I would use computers far less.

you could choose to avoid doing a lot of that now, i expect

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

4lokos basilisk posted:

my point was that in order to prolong battery life you have to micromanage and close running apps because ios is not doing it on its own when you are not using the device

i wish this was more automatic somehow

maybe. i guess i just find it a little hard to get upset about a seven year old phone with an old battery not giving you a weeks worth of battery life. like sure it would be nice but

this perhaps sounds snottier than i mean it to be. do you have notifications and. background data disabled? apps in and of themselves shouldn’t be doing much with your phone off if so.

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Apr 27, 2023

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Cold on a Cob posted:

i think more people want it than ar/vr but even the homekit stuff is still a bit of a clusterfuck and more trouble than it's worth for most people

i got some smart bulbs and wall plugs from a few different brands. i've kept up to date on firmware*, i upgraded homekit after they recalled and re-released the home upgrade thing, and the reliability in my tiny apartment still sucks

*the fact this isn't automatic and handled by homekit is part of the reason this poo poo still suuuuucks

this is how i feel. like the idea of home automation is actually pretty cool, we just aren’t there yet. i think we’re getting closer, though.

also i don’t see how you can say nobody wants it when people go nuts for things like smart thermostats and those employ small amounts of home automation (determining when you’re away and setting hvac automatically etc).

PIZZA.BAT posted:

the fundamental problem is that when you're apple's size, for better or worse, any new initiative is going to be compared to your size. a startup launching the apple watch would be an outstanding success. with apple it's a footnote. this can cause them to pass on moves that would be really good for the customer / to any other business would be a no brainer because the risk to the brand image isn't worth making a fraction of a fraction of increased profit

perhaps but that’s not really what i was talking about. having said that, though, you can easily turn it around to say that apples size allows them to funnel money at dumb poo poo stuff until it’s good enough to take off (also relevant to the watch)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Agile Vector posted:

edit: whoa, way behind on this thread

nice! i think this one is the 'headquarters' store, so it got a remodel and rearranged layout (looks the same, but broke my mental model)

the front had recording gear and smart home stuff the last few times I was in, but was automation and security before. it's always a hot trend, mixed with some small run stuff like successful kickstarters and little companies

amazon keeps offering 'delivery day' combined shipping, but it results in three packages instead of one anyways, which is exactly not what I want. use the same box, save material :sigh:

yeah this is separate i guess from when you combine shipping in the cart here, which will reduce boxes as long as shits arriving from the same depot

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

recent surveys show that 30% of us households have more than five of what the respondent would consider to be a “smart bulb” so yeah i think this stuff is popular among normals

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

mystes posted:

I would consider smart bulbs for the overhead light in my bedroom if they weren't too much of a pita just so that I could have a remote switch by my bed since the actual switch is really far away

not sure how they’re much of a pita these days. you can buy a hue bulb and a wireless hue remote and not use an app, really, tho the app is helpful for customization.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

we recently installed home assistant on an old pc to try it out and it’s been kinda fun

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

lol meanwhile all my neighbours know an unlock code for my shed so they can borrow poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

mystes posted:

This sounds like something out of a murder mystery

yeah. or a lifetime movie