Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

there’s a lot of youtubers who are independently rediscovering weird old tricks like that in various fields and the comments always have one greybeard dude who knew about it and references an obscure paper or book from decades ago describing the process

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Shame Boy posted:

one weird trick to save money on laundry, keep your thermostat set real high so you don't need sheets at all

when my ex and i had newborns she didn’t want to risk them suffocating in blankets at night so we did this. i got used to sleeping without anything at all on the bed and when i went back to use sheets and blankets, I couldn’t stand it

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

lmao

too bad it didn’t throw in a “no respect” line

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

dc3k posted:

zune software was also significantly better than itunes in every way. not that that is a difficult task or anything though.

the zune software wouldn't recognize disc number tags for some reason and would always sort multi disc albums like

disc 1 track 1
disc 2 track 1
disc 1 track 2
disc 2 track 2
etc

it drove me bonkers.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

i am officially an old dad because i refuse to pay what it costs to eat at a restaurant these days (it's ridiculous!!) and constantly bring up how much cheaper everything used to be

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

you don't need an original idea to make software. ask yourself how many times you've said to yourself "this app is ok but i wish it did x, too" or "this app used to be good but now it's full of bullshit x". so you only need to copy something that already exists, except make it not lovely. motivation is the only real great limiting factor.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

EricBauman posted:

this is someone standing up and shouting for hamburgers because they want to skip the commercials, you cant fool me

immediately my first thought as well

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

my parents bought us a NES but refused to buy games so we only had mario/duck hunt and just rented games on weekends.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

i wonder what the public perception of chat gpt would be if the creators discouraged it from being anthropomorphized through use of the word "I".

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

https://twitter.com/drewtoothpaste/status/662048338137649152

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

nothing uses human readable class names anymore it's all obfuscated at build time now

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I’ve shoplifted small toiletries from walmart years ago when poo poo was real bad a few times. I left it in my cart and at self checkout i just put my bags of groceries I could afford right on top. the staff watching didn’t notice or care and said thanks as I walked right on by.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

a place near me puts bamboo shoots in their thai chicken soup and it’s a+++

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

if a prostitute decides she doesn't want to service a particular customer, she can just say "no thanks" and the man legally has to leave without causing any problems. i don't see how that's any different than camming and being able to simply turn off your stream

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

polyester concept posted:

if a prostitute decides she doesn't want to service a particular customer, she can just say "no thanks" and the man legally has to leave without causing any problems. i don't see how that's any different than camming and being able to simply turn off your stream

i am being extremely sarcastic here if it wasn't obvious

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

my ex and i did the subscribe and save thing on amazon when we first had kids and it was really useful. this was around the time prime launched in canada and they were throwing everything at it to get subscribers. it was super handy to get diapers and wipes and all that kinda stuff delivered on a schedule without having to worry about making trips to the store when we were both exhausted. it was actually cheaper than costco too at the time

free shipping was basically unheard of in canada back then

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jun 22, 2023

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

code:
<center>text</center>
is bad but
code:
<div class=“text-center”>text</div>
is good

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I used to work for a company that did seo work and in order to check our clients rankings I built a thing that would scrape google. we had a whole bunch of proxies to get around captchas and a system to automatically cycle them and put them in a rest period after a captcha was detected. it was a lot of fun solving problems like that plus it was cool to violate google’s tos as my job

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

hobbesmaster posted:

aquarium screen saver supremacy

seriously, my 2 year old loves it

im his 2 year old

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

infernal machines posted:

as someone who was a teenager in the 90s/early 2000s it's almost impossible to overstate the number of slurs used in causal conversation at the time. popular media was just as bad and fed the whole thing

it was horrific, and i cannot imagine being homosexual, trans, or sexually questioning at that time. like, i have no idea how you would survive high school, and i guess a lot of people didn't.

there was only 1 openly gay guy in my entire high school. I’m guessing most just didn’t tell anyone.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

jesus WEP posted:

i knew i was bi by the time i was 13/14 and you just joined in with dropping f-slurs and using gay as an insult because what else were you gonna do

my childhood best friend was gay and yep he did this too. i never knew he was gay until years later when facebook was a thing and one day updated his relationship status

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

to me it sounds like the equivalent of "you sweet summer child"

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

i am p sure the bitrate setting on vbr lame is an average target not a hard cap. so 128 vbr is allowed to go above 128 kbps a little bit, as a treat.

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jul 5, 2023

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Beeftweeter posted:

i hate this so much

this happens 10000 more times to canadians, except it’s a “switch to the canadian site?” prompt and then a redirect to the home page

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

youtube made it so that community engagement boosts your channel’s visibility so now some good channels I follow will begrudgingly post polls and other nonsense just for the algorithm and so they have a chance of growing their followers

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

i enable restore session at work but turn it off at home

i never have more than 2 or 3 tabs open at home anyway

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

lmao at some of the other articles too

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

im trying lsd for the first time next weekend with a friend on vancouver island surrounded by nature and i got a ton of poo poo on my mental backlog so we’ll see how it goes. kinda nervous kinda excited

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

ty - I’ve done mushrooms with the same people before though years ago. I’ve know them forever, feel comfortable, trusting, all that. they’re also very experienced psychedelic enjoyers

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

i try to avoid buying things from the supermarket that come from other countries if the same product can be easily made here. pickles is a big one - almost all of the cheap store brands come from india for some reason when it’s perfectly easy to grow and pickle cucumbers here. i risk sounding like a FUD-chud when i say this but I would just rather support local produce.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

it is annoying that the article headline is intentionally vague - linus himself was not accused of sexual harassment. somebody that works for him was. and hiring an outside company to investigate why HR didn't step in seems reasonable

not defending linus, i have never watched any of his content. just pointing out bad kneejerk reaction baiting headlines

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

infernal machines posted:

it's people watching tool time because they think tim is an expert handyman

tool time had a goofus and gallant formula at least. the problem is when it's only goofus and there is no gallant to set things straight

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

my uncle works at sony and says the ai game builder is just around the corner

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I’m not defending landlords, but there have been times I have been grateful that I was renting because I was able to nope the gently caress out of a lovely situation without having to worry about finding a buyer for my place. also it is nice to avoid situations where you cant afford a house so you buy a condo, and oops! the condo board mismanged funds and now you suddenly owe thousands of dollars for some maintenance thing. i think there is a place in the world for property rentals, but of course like most things, the current system has many broken parts.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

you can also buy a townhouse with a yard, but still share walls with other units and you still pay “condo” fees for maintenance of common areas, shingles, and siding. but you are responsible for everything inside and sometimes windows and doors. i think the only upside to owning an apartment style condo would be that you get to decide on your own interior renos, light fixtures, and all that.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

i usually just throw my large trash items up on fb marketplace and inevitably some hoarder comes and picks it up for free

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Truman Peyote posted:

if you charge like 10 bucks for it you get a way better crowd. can always say "nah take it for free" when they show up

this is a good idea

i will usually refuse any hold requests and say in the ad that you have to arrange to come get it now or it’s going to the next person. not that anyone reads the ad anyway

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

post hole digger posted:

but those times when youre troubleshooting something hard and then you finish and you have 100 different tabs of official documentation/stackoverflow questions/reddit posts/listserv arguments/bugtracker pages open and you get to close them all at once? great feeling. one of the best in this job.

god yes

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I been watching a lot of gameing videos lately and the content creators are nice enough to put the series into a playlist, organized nicely. but no matter how many times I click the playlist to resume, it always starts over on the first video. So I gotta go to their channel, click playlists, find the playlist, make sure to click "view all videos in playlist" and not click the thumbnail because that will play the first video, scroll down to the last watched video and manually click the next in the list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Jabor posted:

the only thing keeping a lot of suicidally depressed people alive is that they lack the motivation to actually go through with it.

this has actually saved my life more than once in the past. most of the times I felt like I could do it, it was a highly impulsive feeling. by the time I could have actually done something about it, the intensity had worn off and I was just like "ah gently caress it, I am going home". haven't felt that way in a long time thankfully.