Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

It's gonna be Gilbert, a strip about an office worker that wants to organize a union.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

it looks like someone's grafana dashboard for a home weatherstation

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

there was someone in GBS using chatgpt to answer their estranged mother’s unwelcome long rambling emails which seemed like the most wholesome use of the tech.

"since it's been so long, you should come visit. please stay at my house"

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

FAANGs that overhired:layoffs::VCs that overinvested:intentional bank run

It’s like laying off companies.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

drat so the end result is similar to the bank being closed an extra couple of days? I’ve seen worse fates for banks that switched mobile apps.

bdid must be devastated that people will be fine.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Yeah, assuming they couldn’t go through the accounts and only insure the ones that add value to society, this is probably a best case scenario.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Brrrmph posted:

it’s a bailout and it’s hilarious to see the logistical hoops people jump through to say otherwise

It’s absolutely a bailout, but who cares? It’s not bailing out the bank (it no longer exists), it’s bailing out their (now former) customers. The government has selectively assisted bank customers instead of shareholders. People that have no say in which bank their employer chooses can continue to be paid. Have we forgotten who to hate around here? The most sympathetic group involved was assisted and the least sympathetic wasn’t.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Regular-rear end people work there though. People work bullshit jobs all the time, and they should get paid. SV is a transfer of wealth from billionaire vampires to people with relatively little education compared to most highly paid occupations. Feel free to hate the companies but I can’t get behind “sacrifice the workers”.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

mila kunis posted:

let's not pretend this is being done for the workers, and even if it is - it is still something to get angry about, because these One Weird Tricks somehow aren't available when the neoliberal regimes we all live under wreck and underfund basic public services, do nothing for anyone else in society who've seen their wages and quality of life decline and funnel wealth towards the already wealthy - which seems to be exactly what happened here? this is the state deciding there's an upper caste of people who deserve to made whole when things go wrong, and everyone else can go hang.

“We should increase funding of social services” is both something I agree with and something completely irrelevant to this situation. What is your position? People shouldn’t get paid because rich people defund welfare? You’ve lost the plot. It’s ok to be wrong, you don’t have to double down.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

mila kunis posted:

what are you even arguing? it's nice that you, personally, believe funding of social services is something that ought to be done and a real public commons should exist - the state doesn't! they do believe that rich people's assets shouldn't suffer though, this poo poo only goes in one direction!

try to form opinions too complex for a bumper sticker please.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

poo poo is more nuanced than just “rich people bad” or “government hates the poor”, however true those statements may be. They don’t represent an actual informed opinion on the matter.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

mila kunis posted:

what nuance? a bunch of connected rich people wailed to the government that the fart app companies they'd invested in were in trouble and their friends in high positions made sure money was available for them. ordinary people don't have leverage when it comes to a whole host of poo poo that matters to them, their family, their community and a good quality of life. is that an 'uninformed' view? what the gently caress are you talking about?

I’m sorry for failing to realize this wasn’t a productive conversation earlier. You are speculating that the government would not step in to secure depositors if it helped ordinary people, but that is exactly what happened. You cannot seem to comprehend that the impact goes further than the names on the bank accounts. If you wish to remain ignorant, I will no longer stand in your way.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

when I first moved to seattle I knew weed was legal but I didn't know all the little details around it, so when I went to the store and they said they accepted visa, I didn't think twice. as soon as I got back to my apartment, chase was calling asking if I just bought an amount of bitcoin that was suspiciously close to the amount of money the vape pen cost. I said "no I didn't buy any bitcoin" and they reversed the transaction. Now we just get cash back at the grocery store.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

mystes posted:

Oh I've always kept location history disabled despite google passively aggressively disabling unrelated features in retaliation, not that it disabling it probably actually does anything

This is the most bullshit thing. IIRC you have to enable it to use gmaps via carplay. You have to enable siri for carplay as well. The bundling of privacy settings with features should be regulated.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

"oh another article about Tesla loving u.....wait"

doesn't sound that bad really though? except this bit which, lol

I read that more as "we will not allow unmonitored additions to what can and can't be made available in a car" which seems entirely reasonable. I could see a lawsuit if VW allowed anyone to make in car apps available that were incredibly distracting. I'm not sure if it's still the case, but I know at one point you needed approval to make apps that support android auto, and approval hinged on usability requirements like # of taps to perform an action and tap target sizes.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

haveblue posted:

the thing that will hopefully deter both of them is the vast number of buyers asking “does this car work with my phone”

They'll be asking the dealers that, not the manufacturers.

And the dealer will just say "yes, of course, it does all the things you want it to, but only if you sign here."

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I've been hitting the bowling alley every week for a couple years now. My bowler body is really starting to come in.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I don't play games on my phone. It's ok to not stare at your phone for periods of time.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Elder Postsman posted:

????

what do you do while watching tv then?

sleep!

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

brainwashing isn't just some sci-fi poo poo, hgtv made millions of people think that style doesn't look like total rear end.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

nah, this is a step further. they normalized the view that the only valid styles are the ones that they have products for, cobranded with their on screen personalities. If it doesn't look like this it's "dated". They have wrecked some gorgeous homes on that godforsaken channel because they didn't conform to their identity.

bring back wood paneling you cowards!!

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I work in tech in the hopes that I can someday make enough money to not have to use tech. Current society subjects you to an unhealthy frequency of updates and phones (and especially smart watches, which seem extremely harmful imo) normalize having to constantly monitor for changes (so you can see ads as you do so). Yes you can disable notifications, but the fact that they are not disabled by default makes them actively harmful to end users. This is like when people say twitter isn't bad because you can just use it differently to make it less bad. Things should be judged based on the default outcome, since that's all 99% of people will experience.

If I could have a personalized "morning edition" and "afternoon edition" PDF roundup sent to my remarkable that included emails, news, etc. I would use computers far less.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

that new zelda's coming out and I don't know how I'm gonna find the time for it.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I always went console over pc because if the game didn't perform well I knew it wasn't my problem, but on pc it might be and I'd always wonder.

That and computers cost way more.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Can waymo/cruise/zoox/etc. be issued tickets or have the cars towed? Not asking if that happens, because I'm sure it doesn't, just wondering if that is something that could happen if the cops/city/state had the will to enforce traffic laws. I have no idea what the agreement looks like that allows these things to operate, but there has to be some kind of special arrangement, right?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Mandatory drivers tests every y = -.055x +5 years where x is the driver's age.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

The sound of the electric motor in my old spark ev was awesome. That was the most hilariously fun car I've ever driven.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I wish we had TUV-style inspections in the US. Instead you just have to hope that the 15 year old car doing 90 towards you doesn't have their wheel break off at the wrong moment.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I saw someone using a foldable phone and it had a very distracting crease.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

FMguru posted:

lol the verge had a yospos reference:

https://www.theverge.com/2023/5/8/23713128/something-awful-imgur-download-caper-digital-preservation-photo-hosting

(as part of the site owners name but still: yospos bhtic!)

quote:

“We’re rock-solid,” Jeffrey told The Verge via forum direct message.

lmao the verge paid :10bux:

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Shaggar posted:

i hope everyone involved with the digital board ads in hockey dies a slow and excruciating death

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

They should make the T&C such that everyone violates it and charge everyone an obscene amount for such a lovely tv. Now that’s a business plan.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

one dude/ette babysitting the four self checkouts is still reducing the number of people they have to pay by 75%.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

The death of retail sucks. We're having a hell of a time right now finding some poo poo we need but don't know much about because Motherhood and Buy Buy Baby all shuttered. You can find stuff online but in-person comparative shopping is real important for us, who are complete dumbasses when it comes to this category of goods. Not to mention the need to try poo poo on now that you're a size and shape that you've never been before.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Beeftweeter posted:

people that drink a glass of milk by itself, for refreshment, are deranged

Sometimes I just want a cold-rear end glass of milk.

Don't even get me started on ovaltine.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

fart simpson posted:

classical chess

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

EricBauman posted:

happen because of the received wisdom that the sight of fresh fruits and vegs and the smell of fresh bread is what draws people into the store

I think it's "fresh stuff is the first thing you see so you feel good about shopping" because if they put the frozen dinners as the first thing you see you won't be excited about food, which drives down sales.

Also, milk and eggs in the back because if you're just dropping in for staples they're gonna make you walk past everything to get there in case they can catch your attention on something else.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

tech isn't so bad if it works well, but most of the time it doesn't, and I'm kinda done with being subjected to all the times it doesn't, especially when the goal of the tech is to devalue/eliminate labor.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i like this example because it is both a real example of a bad outcome, but *also* automatic translation being vastly improved is one of the outcomes we can already see, and it is hard to argue that translation isn't a fundamentally good thing.

something can have positive impacts and still be a net negative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

much like your posting

there are no positive impacts to my posting