Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

qirex posted:

middle aged white dudes shut the gently caress up about human reproduction challenge
that's going to be a tough one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

the implied period of time where women have stopped reproducing but men haven't is kind of interesting
I think he's just being a bit fuzzy and conflating the incel idea of the alpha males hogging all the sex with women with the usual fascist unhappiness that women are allowed to work rather than just constantly bear children

mystes
May 31, 2006

Beeftweeter posted:

really i'm pretty sure he just didn't actually think through what he was saying
I mean sure but there's a difference between posting your random shower thought about sandwiches that doesn't quite make sense and posting your random shower thought that magically happens to be a nazi talking point and doesn't quite make sense

mystes
May 31, 2006

Cat Face Joe posted:

a guy who who's entire job is making up words in front of people: we need to return to an age where men were men
Well when you put it like that maybe he should be pretty worried about chatgpt

mystes
May 31, 2006

Second waifu

mystes
May 31, 2006

I'm pretty sure that "secular calvinism" is just a rebranding of "social darwinism"

mystes
May 31, 2006

BMan posted:

jfc this couple
I don't have any issue with them being the way they are around each other and I don't even really care if they post weird eugenicists screeds online or whatever, but I'm a little concerned for their children especially if their stated goal is to have as many children as possible

mystes
May 31, 2006

I used one of those faucets before and I think I wouldn't mind turning it on/off via touch if that was the only way to turn it on/off and the knob just controlled temperature or something, but having two ways it has to be turned on is really confusing/infuriating

mystes
May 31, 2006

"Quicker in-car updates and longer vehicle lifecycles are coming, Mercedes says. "

(replaces everything with touchscreens that are going to be obsolete in 5 minutes)

mystes
May 31, 2006

Beeftweeter posted:

i don't like it
It's like it's in the process of falling apart so maybe a good logo?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

SA continues to have this amazing capacity to not recognize that other social networks are neither small nor uniform blocs, which is ironic given that SA, small as it is, is not a uniform bloc. same poo poo where we were like "EVERYONE ON REDDIT IS THERE FOR /r/jailbait (and we deny any history that may even suggest a thread of connection between us, 4chan, and that subreddit!)"!

oddly enough, the japanese art and central asia academia twitter spheres never interact with scott adams or anyone in his replies! it's as if large enough social networks often develop disparate and largely separate communities or something

the analogy isn't that we're all at the nazi bar, it's that the nazi bar and the other bars all take cash, and sometimes people exchange cash and interact outside the bars because we all use the same currency
People here still seem to not understand that it's possible to use reddit in a way other than just reading the default subreddits and therefore attribute viewpoints people express on those to all of reddit

mystes
May 31, 2006

infernal machines posted:

i do not post in that thread
actually all the yospos threads are that thread

mystes
May 31, 2006

Jabor posted:

it's okay, they'll make it up in volume
Thankfully I don't think it makes any noise this time

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think Cortana was also just a pretty good name for a voice assistant in terms of sounding good and being fairly unique (ignoring the fact that adding a voice assistant to windows was dumb)

mystes
May 31, 2006

Jabor posted:

i use a washing machine instead of doing it by hand, makes it a lot easier
It's probably the taking them off and putting them on part

Otherwise the sagebrush approach would work

mystes
May 31, 2006

Gnossiennes posted:

is a duvet cover a replacement for the flat sheet or do you use both?

we use a weird combo of flat sheet + weighted blanket + heated blanket on top. no duvet, although i have thought about getting one. i kinda miss having a big fluffy comforter, but a duvet cover would be easier to launder.
You don't have a cover on the weighted blanket?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

weighted cover for the cover for the weighted blanket

just 127 pounds of buckwheat smothering u in bed
the covers aren't weighted, they're just so you can wash them, like pillowcases, because weighted blankets generally aren't easily washable

mystes
May 31, 2006

Carthag Tuek posted:

wtf you sleep with a sheet between you and the duvet??

americans are completely insane
It's common to always use a top sheet in the us, I guess originally because traditionally a lot of comforters weren't that comfortable against the skin in texture or easy to wash. Admittedly maybe it makes more sense not to use a top sheet if your comforter or duvet cover is washable though.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I hadn't even thought of that but I guess it has the potential to be pretty obnoxious.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Internet Janitor posted:

of all the takes i've read on LLM ethics, "they're dangerous outside the hands of responsible corporations like facebook" is a pretty weird one
I mean I guess like nuclear weapons the people who have them are bad but it's still bad for more other people to get them

Also, if only a few companies have them and they're ridiculously expensive to train, theoretically it would be possible to regulate them out of existence, but once everyone on the internet has them that's totally impossible

mystes
May 31, 2006

Why would you name an ML model site after facehuggers?

Beeftweeter posted:

apropos i was just given access to "the new bing" lol
I got it a day or two ago :smug:

mystes
May 31, 2006

Beeftweeter posted:

i can't even use it i guess? the "CHAT" tab is gone for me, even using edge on ios
It showed me that I got into it on my phone but I just tried to use it on my desktop and bing keeps showing me as not logged in even when I log in so I give up and don't care enough to try from another browser or something I guess

mystes
May 31, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

how are these fucks still in business, who buys this crap?
I think the problem is their whole business model is just trying to sell infinite funko pops to a relatively small number obsessive collectors or people who think they'll be able to sell them on ebay for more money later, so they just have to keep churning them out

mystes
May 31, 2006

fart simpson posted:

sounds like the monkey nfts
I guess at least the monkey nfts are just causing co2 emissions or whatever and not zillions of tons of plastic waste

edit: I guess I'm not factoring in GPUs

mystes
May 31, 2006

Elder Postsman posted:

wait wait if 54 CAD/40USD is "surprisingly cheap" how much do these stupid things normally sell for?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Is there a Mark Zuckerberg funko pop?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Beeftweeter posted:

i think people must've bought them hoping to ride a speculative bubble, then found out everyone they were going to fleece had the same idea, so they couldn't sell them

i hope, anyway. nobody actually likes those things, right? right??
Looking at r/funkopop, it looks like virtually everyone (like 95-99%) keeps them in the boxes which I think is a pretty clear sign that they are hoping to eventually make money off of them, although they also seem to like displaying their collections in fancy ways so they're getting some enjoyment out of collecting them I guess

There seem to be a very small number of people who actually take them out of the boxes which seems to indicate that they actually enjoy them as toys

mystes
May 31, 2006

if only bad plastic toy was cool like good plastic toy

mystes
May 31, 2006

exe cummings posted:

collecting collectables is as legitimate of a hobby as any, but the pic of the funko pop collector wearing the Avengers+Funko shirt perfectly captures my feelings perfectly: they’re banal mass-market kidult cash-in “investments” destined for the ocean. at least actual children loved beanie babies
Unfortunately I think beanie babies kind of created this idea that it's more lucrative to try to turn the toys into a dumb collectible thing, so why bother making toys for kids who will actually like them

The modern equivalent is probably squishmallows which are like an even more extreme version where they are fine as toys but the company seems to do everything it can to try to encourage people to collect zillions of them including more gross stuff like selling the small ones in blind boxes to make them some sort of loot box thing when people try to collect them

mystes fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Mar 6, 2023

mystes
May 31, 2006

I don't get buying stuff like funko pops just to keep them in the boxes as collectibles but to be fair I never really understood the idea of collecting baseball cards or stuff like that either and I guess people have been doing that for a long time, so it must just be some impulse that some people have

Having 500 funko pops in their boxes just seems way more inconvenient/wasteful than having a binder of baseball cards too though

Also I tend to accumulate enough crap as it is so the idea of having a zillion funko pops or gundam models or something lying around just kind of freaks me out

mystes fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Mar 6, 2023

mystes
May 31, 2006

tom yum my soup

mystes
May 31, 2006

Chris Knight posted:

lol I was joking to my boss a couple weeks ago about how we could point ChatGPT at our sites and have it do chatbot answers instead of regular search, and welp
Can't you not actually "point chatgpt" at your site though?

mystes
May 31, 2006

is that actually possible? Or do you just mean you identify a single article that seems relevant first and then feed it to chatgpt or something?

mystes
May 31, 2006

The Fool posted:

they used a library to load an index, then used gpt-3 to answer questions on that index

e: https://gpt-index.readthedocs.io/en/latest/index.html
huh neat

mystes
May 31, 2006

sounds like your bitfield is a bit of a minefield

mystes
May 31, 2006

Beeftweeter posted:

an impossible whopper is $7.29
VCs pay far more for impossible whoppers every day

mystes
May 31, 2006

AnimeIsTrash posted:

https://twitter.com/jsrailton/status/1634600754848702465

i somehow missed thiel started all this, stanford bros stay winning
I hadn't heard how it started and all I can say is lol

mystes
May 31, 2006

git apologist posted:

i appreciated it, i genuinely didn't know who they were
Same but I've never read the apple thread so I guess that explains why

mystes
May 31, 2006

rotor posted:

haven't stopped by the 'pos for a while, reckon I'll pop in and talk up Peter Thiel for a minute, see how everyone is doing, reconnect with old friends.
Maybe they're peter thiel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

post hole digger posted:

anyways you dont gotta hand it to them but i will definitely laugh at the vcs spending the last several years just outright supporting republican party ideals, the bank itself successfully lobbying the trump admin to lower liquidity stress requirements, and then this happens and the olive branch the Trumps extend is "your bank failed because it's TOO GAY buh bye sweetheart"

https://mobile.twitter.com/DonaldJTrumpJr/status/1634921788068204544
I mean I think you're overthinking it kind of? It's as simple as "bad thing happened? oh, okay it's because of [insert current bogeyman/talking point]"

Trump was also constantly accusing silicon valley as being too liberal during his presidency as a way to pressure tech companies into letting him say whatever he wanted

Even people sucking up to him would be unlikely to not expect this to happen I think

mystes fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Mar 12, 2023