Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Improbable Lobster posted:

i mean it seems ro be describing something completely unrelated or non existent
I mean I don't know but when I looked into it last time it was posted I thought that university had actually done something with cellulose like that, it was just completely unrelated, but I can't remember.

Also, if you use ChatGPT it does a better job and doesn't make that mistake:

quote:

write a news article for a news site based on the following tweet:

Scientists create Liquid Trees; a tank full of water and micro-algae that could be an alternative to trees in urban areas.

quote:

In a groundbreaking new development, scientists have created what they call "Liquid Trees" - a tank filled with water and micro-algae that could be a substitute for actual trees in urban areas.

The idea behind Liquid Trees is to provide a sustainable alternative to traditional trees, which can be difficult to maintain and may not survive in certain environments. With Liquid Trees, the algae are able to grow and photosynthesize, producing oxygen and absorbing carbon dioxide, just like real trees.

According to the scientists involved in the project, Liquid Trees can be installed in a variety of locations, including sidewalks, plazas, and parks. The tanks are relatively small and can be easily transported, making them a versatile option for urban areas.

The benefits of Liquid Trees are numerous. Not only do they produce oxygen and absorb carbon dioxide, but they also filter out pollutants and help to regulate temperature and humidity. Additionally, the micro-algae used in the tanks can be harvested and used for a variety of purposes, such as biofuels, animal feed, and even food for humans.

The creation of Liquid Trees is a major step forward in the field of urban sustainability. With more and more people living in cities, it is important to find ways to create green spaces and promote a healthy environment. Liquid Trees offer a promising solution, providing all the benefits of trees in a more manageable and sustainable form.

The project is still in its early stages, but the scientists involved are optimistic about its potential. They hope to work with city planners and urban developers to introduce Liquid Trees to cities around the world, creating a greener and more sustainable future for all.

but of course even if they used chatgpt who knows what prompt they gave it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

quiggy posted:

fun fact weight goes up as a factor of the cube of your height but bmi uses the square instead so you're penalized for being tall :eng101:
Write a complaint to your cardiovascular system

mystes
May 31, 2006

You say that like it's a bad thing

mystes
May 31, 2006

I want to taste a real truffle at some point because I loving hate truffle oil and I'm curious if I would hate real truffles too

mystes
May 31, 2006

AnoHito posted:

i like truffle cheese a lot, and that’s not too hard to get
That seems like a fairly convenient/affordable way to get a taste so maybe I'll try that, thanks

I fear that after tasting truffle oil that chemical has become something I just can't stand like the fake popcorn butter chemical so if it's at all detectable in real truffles I might still be grossed out though

mystes
May 31, 2006

bob dobbs is dead posted:

theres like 5 kinds of truffles varying 100x in rarity and a fair bit by taste
These loot box games are getting out of hand

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think the truffle oil I tried wasn't synthetic and it was still the worst thing I've ever tasted in my life

I just added a tiny, tiny bit to mushroom risotto or something and it was so gross I nearly vomited and I had to throw it out

mystes
May 31, 2006

post hole digger posted:

if you sit down at a restaurant with a menu that has the word 'elevated' on it and a $32 burger on a brioche bun its fuckin over for you.
The burger on the last page was $37. That makes $32 seem almost reasonable

mystes
May 31, 2006

nudgenudgetilt posted:

remember when a $6 burger was considered high end
That was before a basic burger was $15 at even the cheapest sit-down restaurant

mystes
May 31, 2006

post hole digger posted:

im here in yospos to barge into threads where i only vaguely know what people are talking about, if that, and start making annoying, unoriginal observations, not to read threads.
I honestly thought you might just need new glasses

mystes
May 31, 2006

Casual Encountess posted:

theres still gold out there
Yes but it's on top of the food

mystes
May 31, 2006

FMguru posted:

so that tech ceo that got murdered last week, that everyone leapt to assume was stabbed by some mentally ill homeless crackhead? a senseless random crime that was emblematic of san franciscos seemingly unstoppable slide into lawlessness? well it turns out that it was probably a fellow techie that did the slicing and the dicing
Wow how terribly surprising

mystes
May 31, 2006

Expo70 posted:

unrelated: I just learned of 火車HOLYSHITPISS and my face hurts from laughing. what even is the current events computer toucher equivalent of this i must know
He's probably saying badass btw

mystes
May 31, 2006

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

this is a nonsense scale argument. there's no point paying for the resources to pay for the video uploads and reencodes and everything if the *expected* view count is <1. youtube is primarily for public videos, expect thousands of views and act accordingly.
So how would this work? If a parent uploads a video of their kid's piano recital and it gets 5 views you automatically permaban them from youtube?

Or more practically, I guess, you have a human check every video that gets 10,000 views?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Expo70 posted:

its making me realize if or when youtube inevitably dies, we're losing so much stuff
It's pretty much unimaginable how much stuff will be lost if that happens. Youtube just has an absolutely insane amount of content.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mega Comrade posted:

The main problem with android is every brand has to try and put their spin and identity on it. So If you go from say a Samsung to a Motorola you have to figure out all the different icons and names for basic apps.
Haven't the interfaces have gotten way more consistent over time? I feel like now as long as you don't use the default launcher you won't even notice the difference (I use KISS because I absolutely hate organizing icons).

mystes
May 31, 2006

The one thing I can't get my head around about Samsung is why, if you were determined to spend as much money on a phone as possible, you wouldn't get an iphone

I hope this doesn't result in a lot of angry android users yelling "but we deserve expensive things too" at me like when I occasionally make the mistake of posting in the Chromebook thread

mystes
May 31, 2006

bob dobbs is dead posted:

hugely popular in gulf arab countries who hate america for deec reasons
yeah actually if you're in another country and don't want to use US products that actually seems like a legit reason

I will admit that I was thinking more about people in US like one coworker I had who was always had to have the latest samsung phone inexplicably

mystes
May 31, 2006

The idea of folding phones at least appeals to me even if their actual state does not

If it wasn't expensive and worked perfectly I would love something that was pocket sized but then could open up to have a bigger screen

mystes
May 31, 2006

Eeyo posted:

so given that chatgpt has ingested all of stackoverflow at this point, is it the best programmer or the worst?
It's the programmeriest programmer so probably both

mystes
May 31, 2006

Argh

mystes
May 31, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

i mean thats a good point actually. there are undoubtedly people out there who really want to slap they dong to VR femboy shrek. but the thing is theyve already had a vr fap setup for five to seven years now. you're not gonna suddenly convince people outside of that small group that this is the new cool way to jerk off
I guess not everyone is an early adopter like yospos posters

mystes
May 31, 2006

raminasi posted:

maybe this is atypical but neither i nor anyone i know has had worse experiences or outcomes with nps or even pas than mds so i really don’t mind the rising frequency of them. the lack of a residency-like requirement for them is lame though
nps seem to have plenty of practical knowledge and it feels like actual mds just google your symptoms nowadays anyway

mystes
May 31, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

in medicine there is a concept called “a zebra” from a now very old expression that’s something like “when you hear hoofs behind you don’t expect a zebra”

the thing is in medicine on very rare occasion it is a zebra. the ridiculous depth and hours of medical school followed by the illegally long hours of residency had their basis in actually seeing some crazy off the wall stuff and diagnosing it accurately (also cocaine abuse and eating your young as a profession but I digress).

RNs get no experience with any of this and get as little as a single 3 semester hour course in each of anatomy, pharmacology and pathology in the conversion from BSN to DNP which should be terrifying.

but some NPs have restricted scopes of practice and have significant training you may say. yup, however when you see NP after the name you have no idea if they actually have it and those with the minimum of training are allowed to run ERs by themselves.
In theory this makes sense but in reality it kind of seems like a lot of times what doctors learn during residency is basically the opposite, namely to disregard the possibility of uncommon stuff, and then patients who have rare conditions have extreme difficulty getting experienced doctors to correctly diagnose them?

mystes
May 31, 2006

ADINSX posted:

I crossed a street in Canada once and a lady on the side walk was real mad I didn’t thank the near by car for letting me cross. Some people are just cranky
gently caress that cars have to let you cross, I hope you punched that lady

mystes
May 31, 2006

OldAlias posted:

I hate that fuckin neurotypical script bullshit. it took me quite a long time before I understood that it was a nicety and people weren’t expecting a real response. it just feels wrong to ask a question or be asked a question and not respond
You mean when you're asked "how are you"? I always just say "fine" but sometimes people get annoyed at that too

mystes
May 31, 2006

Internet Janitor posted:

i usually go with "surviving"
I guess that's fine if you're talking to a coworker you can commiserate with or something but the thing I find obnoxious is when people seem to feel like they're being insulted if they just receive a perfunctory response, but they also clearly don't want the answer to be that I'm not doing great or to be given actual detailed information about how I'm doing so I'm honestly not sure what type of answer they want.

I guess maybe they just want me to say "fantastic" and sound like I mean it but, yeah, that's not happening

mystes fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Apr 20, 2023

mystes
May 31, 2006

lmao

ngl, I would probably take it for that price if it was somewhere I wanted to live.

mystes
May 31, 2006

carry on then posted:

aren't 3 bedroom houses minimum 7 figures anywhere anyone actually wants to live?
there's probably a graveyard discount but yeah it's probably not a 90% discount so it's probably not a desirable city in the first place

mystes
May 31, 2006

fart simpson posted:

i really want to live in the 3rd world op
well then do? I imagine there's nothing stopping you from moving back to the US

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shaggar posted:

amazon's shipping is so fuckin bad now. its like 5 days instead of 2 days so they've lost any advantage over other retails beyond pure inertia
It depends on where you are. It's mostly 1-2 days where I am.

mystes
May 31, 2006

mediaphage posted:

i've had this thought before. like, for the vast majority of things having a once-per-two-weeks delivery day would be fine, and even good? you expect to get things delivered say every other friday and in the meantime you just add various things to carts and then they all show up on that day
This isn't that different from amazon's amazon day feature although i guess that's once per week

mystes
May 31, 2006

hailthefish posted:

when I schedule things to be delivered on amazon day they still show up 1 item a day all week long anyway
Really? I've only used it a few times, but it seemed like while items could sometimes arrive one day early, if I order a lot of stuff it does tend to all come together in 1-2 boxes on the scheduled day

mystes
May 31, 2006

nudgenudgetilt posted:

jfc.

i live in alone in the boonies, why hasn't the world optimized for me yet
To be fair, amazon delivering packages at unexpected times can be annoying, but mainly only if you live in an apartment where someone's going to steal it or something, and not so much in the middle of nowhere

mystes
May 31, 2006

infernal machines posted:

but the first hit is always free
Given the context, I'm not sure if "hit" means dose of a drug or assassination here, but I guess either way

mystes
May 31, 2006

Chris Knight posted:

lol no one is doing hitman work on spec
How about for exposure?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Achmed Jones posted:

im so mad at google rn
were there more layoffs or is this just in response to the stock buyback thing?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Juul-Whip posted:

guy has like 50 million dollars and is eating expired Amazon Happy Belly string cheese
https://twitter.com/id_aa_carmack/status/1651047840624377864
Maybe he's just been trying to get it open for 21 days

mystes
May 31, 2006

Chris Knight posted:

it's an analogy, dummy
Plato's allegorical dollar menu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Khorne posted:

got told I had to use chatgpt and in a few weeks share all the ways I used it to increase my productivity at work today

time to refresh the ol resume
If only there was a convenient way to generate a made up list of dumb ways ways chatgpt supposedly increased your productivity...