Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Thank You For Playing

KAIZO MAFIO

A mafia-ish game for 21 players and one terrible mod.

ROLES
Mafia
1 x Ascetic Juggernaut (can only be night-targeted by kills, when performing faction kill cannot be stopped by a doctor or bulletproof protection
1 x Labrador Poisoner (dies if votes out a teammate, NK is delayed 1 night
1 x White Mage (protects a player, cannot move that protection unless target dies)
1 x Forensic Linguist (can rolecop, frame, block or redirect players who use a word or phrase from the auspol mafia memelist

quote:

BURGER / BURG
PINEAPPLE
BEETROOT
SAUCE
BIN
BICYCLE / BIKE
HELMET
DOG
XMAS / CHRISTMAS
DECORATIONS
ILLEGAL
UNLAWFUL
VOICE
FRIEND
VIDGE
SWOOP
MELTDOWN
BAZINGA
PARKING
CARTOON
GRID
MORNING
LOCKDOWN
BIRB
WORD CLOUD

1 x Saulus (initially told scum traitor with no recruitment mechanism; converts to town instead of dying on the first occasion)

Town
2 x Vanilla Town
1 x Neapolitan (result is whether player has a role; no indication of alignment)
1 x Judas (originally told VT; converts to scum instead of dying on first occasion)
1 x Mimic (can copy and use other players powers at night without being told what the power is)
1 x Stormtrooper (vig where chance of action working is night number / alive players)
1 x compulsive visitor (visits a player each night, action has no effect, dies if visit fails.
1 x POSTLORD (gets a stack of bulletproof for each post they make in a day)
1 x Voteproof Fragile (cannot die by vote. dies if successfully targeted by any night action)
1 x Naive Amnesiac Cop (not told of sanity. all results town unless target framed that night. other player received the result)
1 x Eavesdropper (received cop investigation result but did not know the target or who the cop was)
1 x Governor (one shot, could cancel execution by vote)
1 x Catholic (would die if voted out three town players)
1 x Scapegoat (dies if a player is not executed by vote)
1 x Bus Driver (picks two targets, actions targeting one redirected to the other and vice versa)

NIGHT ACTIONS
N1
  • BT has 19 layers of BP
  • MMG bus drives Bif and Toal
  • TOML fails to protect Beet (after not reading about the Ascetic role?)
  • Plastic investigates Anidav, not vanilla
  • Neg Ent cops TBT, FHog gets the result
  • Milky copies Gaspy’s poison power
  • Anidav fails to shoot TBT
  • Gaspy poisons milky

N2
  • BT has 25 layers of bulletproof
  • MMG bus drives Neg Ent and Toal
  • TOML self protects
  • Plastic investigates tithin, vanilla
  • Neg Ent investigates themselves after targeting Toal
  • Milky poisons Bif
  • Gaspy poisons Neg Ent (targeting Toal)
  • Anidav tries to shoot BT but fails the roll (and wasn’t getting through the bulletproof anyway)
  • Milky dies from poison

N3
  • MMG bus drives TOML and Hal
  • Neg Ent cops MMG
  • Plastic investigates MMG, not vanilla
  • Gaspy poisons the already-poisoned Bif
  • Neg Ent and Bif die

N4
  • Plastic investigated Gaspy, not vanilla
  • Gaspy poisons fuckhog
  • Nobody died

N5
  • beet juggernaut-NKs black tangled
  • Plastic investigates Toal, Vanilla
  • Fuckhog and BT die
  • tithin is modkilled

N6
  • beet kills Tammy
  • Plastic investigates Sandwolf, Not Vanilla
  • Tammy dies

N7
  • TOML no-kills
  • Plastic investigates TOML, not vanilla
  • Nobody dies

N8
  • TOML no-kills
  • Plastic investigates
  • Nobody dies

N9
  • Plastic investigates SK, killing them, for Not Vanilla
  • TOML nk’s Plastic
  • Plastic and Small Keating die
  • Scum control the vote!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Plastic is scum mvp

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

unbelievable

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.
A+ game, thank you so so much Birdo

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

for real, absolute top tier modwork

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Amazing

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Those On My Left posted:

for real, absolute top tier modwork

Amazing

black_tangled
Aug 2, 2004

Thanks Birdstrike, I had fun :)

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
Thanks Birdstrike, I had drugs :)

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

I think I had fun.

I tried to rolecop fuckhog while dead. They got a spooky dream.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
will post some thoughts and open up discorb soon (so if there’s anything you want to edit feel free - looking at you moat!)

thanks again for indulging me in this dumb game

and I doubt I’ll do this again haha

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

:lmao:

black_tangled
Aug 2, 2004

Best moment

Small Keating
Dec 24, 2012

That you, Jim? Paul Keating here. Just because you swallowed a fucking dictionary when you were about 15 doesn't give you the right to pour a bucket of shit over the rest of us.
I hosed up, birb did good work, gg no re, congratulations to scum, well played

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Anidav posted:

Plastic is scum mvp

Man that's an unwarranted diss on Gaspy, the team was doing great before he died

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

black_tangled posted:

Thanks Birdstrike, I had fun :)

You were on point this game. You had me pinned. Top marks!

Bif on gaspy and Toml so early too!

black_tangled
Aug 2, 2004

hambeet posted:

You were on point this game. You had me pinned. Top marks!

Bif on gaspy and Toml so early too!

Haha much good it did me

Thanks Beet!

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Background
I’ve basically stopped playing (unless I get pinged to replace in normally) and modding but I’ve thought a lot about setups. For this I took Toml’s and Small Keating’s excellent setups and tried to stretch them within the bounds of the game in an almost hostile setup (hence the different voting rules each day).

Role Interactions and design
As I said probably too early in obschat, the central idea with this setup was being actively hostile to the players by pushing the boundaries within limits (e.g. no janitors because I hate janitors). The furthest was probably Neg Ent’s role being unreliable and not told about it, but I dislike cop roles so I’m not that sorry.

• Scum needed a juggernaut and poisoner to have a backup to be able to NK b_t’s POSTLORD
    Governor, Voteproof, Judas, Saulus and heck even a no vote were designed to kill mith’s Scapegoat
    Compulsive visitor could kill the Fragile but Voteproof role
  • Compulsive visitor could die by being blocked by forensic linguist or targeting the ascetic.
    Neapolitan was a weak rolecop that would pick up essentially false positives from Nurse, Catholic, probably others.
  • It was interesting to see how the Catholic and Labrador modifiers made the players think about how they voted.
  • I thought the Eavesdropper could mention messsges and in some way coordinate with the cop around D3 or so to try and figure out some (ultimately pointless) results. By the time this started Neg Ent was dead iirc.
  • Saulus as a traitor meant scumteam couldn’t be told of their existence, and there was no recruit function because if saulus dies they turn town which you don’t want them to know who is on scumteam.
  • The “forensic linguist” role essentially takes a bunch of auspol meme phrases (and “voice friend”) to let scum mess with anyone who said them in an OP manner that never eventuated. Some of the earlier Mario games had roles with similar word triggers and I just maximised it.
  • Because a lot of the roles affected posts or voted or were functionally pointless (Nurse), the number of night actions dropped off more than I expected around Night 4. More of an observation than comment.
  • Saulus hurt a lot of people’s brains in Mario 1 so including that plus a Judas was a throwback plus when have you ever really seen these roles?
  • Anidav’s probability vig was designed to be weak at the start and get stronger as the game progressed (so at night 6 the odds would be 67% night 7 would be 100% iirc). In hindsight in a big role heavy game you probably want to reverse the formula so the vig has a bigger impact with more players and smaller impact towards the endgame.

Voting methods
  • Lights Out voting can be really useful for an organised town to purge lurkers and/or scum. Using it for multiple pointless SK votes was appropriate for this game.
  • When I’ve seen plurality votes before it was generally two candidates near hammer and the tension of whether someone reaches hammer or if someone makes a deadline move to secure two executions. Having people way, way under hammer wasn’t really what I had in mind and look at least we’ve seen what can happen.
  • I thought the autoscroll with everyone getting votes was a lot better for creating that kind of tension and would work on a D1 for 20+ players to generate participation. It worked I think because players would be viable votes without necessarily thread consensus in a large field and maybe people complain less about D1 then. The challenge is balancing this with player agency, and I think the max auto vote you want is about 30-40% of hammer.
    In my original design the “speed run” day was going to be 90 minutes so getting 6 or so hours was generous.
  • I also just wanted to see what would happen if there was a day where everyone started at -1. I think it livened up the game in this case.

Other observations
  • I tried to have some sort of balance with the roles (Judas v Saulus etc) and it was interesting after tithin’s flip seeing town consider the existence of a Saulus without quite getting there.
  • I think the big turning point for the game was MMG getting dunked over hambeet; at that stage I thought town would need MMG to bus scum into a kill action to have a shot. Then Plastic voted Gaspy and momentum swung to town after the beet vote, and it was absolutely anyone’s game until the end which was good to see.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

birdstrike posted:

will post some thoughts and open up discorb soon (so if there’s anything you want to edit feel free - looking at you moat!)

thanks again for indulging me in this dumb game

and I doubt I’ll do this again haha
that means you did it right

black_tangled
Aug 2, 2004

Did anyone notice my breadcrumbs about being postlord? I wondered if that’s why I eventually got targeted directly by beet

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Gggg

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

birdstrike posted:

Role Interactions and design
As I said probably too early in obschat, the central idea with this setup was being actively hostile to the players by pushing the boundaries within limits (e.g. no janitors because I hate janitors). The furthest was probably Neg Ent’s role being unreliable and not told about it, but I dislike cop roles so I’m not that sorry.

this is very funny

quote:

It was interesting to see how the Catholic and Labrador modifiers made the players think about how they voted.
yeah those roles are good I think!

quote:

[*]Saulus hurt a lot of people’s brains in Mario 1 so including that plus a Judas was a throwback plus when have you ever really seen these roles?
I think saulus and judas are extremely interesting and i'm glad you got them in there!

quote:

[*] I thought the autoscroll with everyone getting votes was a lot better for creating that kind of tension and would work on a D1 for 20+ players to generate participation.
great idea

quote:

[*]I think the big turning point for the game was MMG getting dunked over hambeet; at that stage I thought town would need MMG to bus scum into a kill action to have a shot. Then Plastic voted Gaspy and momentum swung to town after the beet vote, and it was absolutely anyone’s game until the end which was good to see.
[/list]

yup hard agree. MMG getting dunked made me think we had it in the bag, gaspy getting immediately killed made me think we were totally hosed.

just great work birdo

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Did plastic lie about investigating moat as vanilla?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
one thing I would probably change is the name of the Catholic role because uhhh

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I could run a mafia game, maybe.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Toalpaz posted:

Did plastic lie about investigating moat as vanilla?

no I treated moat as vanilla scum (he didn’t have access to the nk, if the other scum all died I would have given it to moat and have him be vanilla goon)

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

birdstrike posted:

one thing I would probably change is the name of the Catholic role because uhhh

it was a riff on catholic guilt

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Scumdocs existing is why I keep getting lunched as doctor. :Pensive:

I assumed it was moat and sand. But moat was probably a safer bet.

I probably wouldn't let scum withhold indefinitely also with a scum doc. Also I'm done being sour.

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.
Great game Birb thanks for hitting me up to play

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Those On My Left posted:

it was a riff on catholic guilt

I know but lol

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Thanks for the game Birb, the setup was spectacular and it was cool that you got the old crowd back together

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Bifauxnen posted:

Thanks for the game Birb, the setup was spectacular and it was cool that you got the old crowd back together

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

moat has the most entertaining posts this game AND the most entertaining confessional.

10/10

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

loving taking a punt at the pokies at night and i wake up to some fucko lying about visits and i just want to have a punt mate what the gently caress you can't stop me from visiting crown gently caress you mario

I'm just one spin away from jackpot i swear i have my addiction under control just one more spin

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.
Loved it, thank you so much. Fun using the confessional as an actual confessional, thank you also to plas for taking me out before I could reveal the worst bits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

see you all in another ten years