Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

credit unions ftw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Bank of America is a sworn enemy. My parents had to sue them in 09. I trashed their Rutgers ATM vestibule back in 06.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Does Zelle attract the sketchiest and skeeviest of individuals like CashApp?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

BofA deez nutz!!!

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I left Bank of America when they charged me an overdraft fee on a fraudulent charge that overdrafted me, then charged me an overdraft fee on the fraudulent charge overdraft fee after the fraudulent charge was reversed.

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

BofA deez nutz!!!

:hmmyes:

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

lol @ doing business with BoA or Wells knowing everything you know about them that is out in the public sphere

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i closed my account years ago, and it was a pain in the rear end because the branch insisted that i had to bring my mom with me to sign something in person because i had opened the account before i was 18. her name was nowhere on the account, but she had co-signed for it back in the late 90s (with a different bank that later merged). no problem taking all the money out by myself, that was perfectly cool with them, but actually closing it to avoid a monthly minimum balance fine for the rest of time required in person signatures from bofa us simultaneously.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

also wondering this as well, and will contiunue to wonder + speculate as op is sure to abandon this thread as well as is his wont

Maybe OP is on the couch not just because of a bad dinner, but also because his wife found out about his camgirl subscriptions (these Zelle charges)?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

istewart posted:

Maybe OP is on the couch not just because of a bad dinner, but also because his wife found out about his camgirl subscriptions (these Zelle charges)?

OP has to subscribe to his own wife’s onlyfans

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
In last days of collapsing USA, we have good joke:

You want bank? You have many choice. Bank of America... and US Bank!

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
CREDIT UNION SUPREMACY

BIVTCH!!!!!!!!

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Chinatown posted:

CREDIT UNION SUPREMACY

BIVTCH!!!!!!!!

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

can someone credit union pill me

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
Credit unions are cool. I love getting a receipt on a dot matrix printer and constant junk mail to buy their life insurance

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Credit unions are great, they're member owned!

I don't know what this means but I always tell people I co-own a credit union for a living

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

cumpantry posted:

can someone credit union pill me

depends on the cu for benefits but basically they're a bank with no profit motive. so there is no incentive to gouge the customers (members in the case of a cu) for financial services. generally no or very low fees for things, high savings interest rates, low loan rates, profit sharing. because they only charge what is required to run the organization, with no intent to generate profits for shareholders. they're also usually smaller and regional so you get a more intimate experience when seeking financial services that a bank would just flatly deny you for. here in canada they're part of a larger national organization that pools resources so that cu's are still competitive too so they don't get rolled by banks. dunno how it is in america but essenrtially they're better in every single way unless i guess you own a non-insignificant % of the bank

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
With my credit union I get free withdrawals at every 7-Eleven ATM which means there's usually an ATM within 50 feet of me at all times :grin:

Also I can get money from any other CU's ATMs no problem.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Credit unions were a very good alternative back in the days before Dodd–Frank and the CFPB, where banks were just gouging people left and right and people had basically no recourse. Doing simple things like waiving overdraft fees or giving free ATM withdrawals made them miles better than most traditional banks.

Today, though, most of the benefits they offer are also offered by big traditional banks. You can really tell someone who has been with a credit union for over a decade because most of the things they brag about are just regular features for every bank user now. Also, when you are with a credit union they're likely to be using really shoddy and/or antiquated tech, have seriously understaffed customer support departments, and be constantly shilling various insurance products at you. If you want to use a bank with a buggy app that hasn't been updated in 2 years, where you can't use their online banking services from 1:00-3:00am because of the nightly DB refresh, then a credit union might be for you!

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

LanceHunter posted:

Credit unions were a very good alternative back in the days before Dodd–Frank and the CFPB, where banks were just gouging people left and right and people had basically no recourse. Doing simple things like waiving overdraft fees or giving free ATM withdrawals made them miles better than most traditional banks.

Today, though, most of the benefits they offer are also offered by big traditional banks. You can really tell someone who has been with a credit union for over a decade because most of the things they brag about are just regular features for every bank user now. Also, when you are with a credit union they're likely to be using really shoddy and/or antiquated tech, have seriously understaffed customer support departments, and be constantly shilling various insurance products at you. If you want to use a bank with a buggy app that hasn't been updated in 2 years, where you can't use their online banking services from 1:00-3:00am because of the nightly DB refresh, then a credit union might be for you!

i assume you're talking about america because that's not true in the slightest here lol

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
if you bank at one of the big US banks im literally inches from your face, laughing at you, my spittle landing on your nose and forehead

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Chinatown posted:

if you bank at one of the big US banks im literally inches from your face, laughing at you, my spittle landing on your nose and forehead

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Love the benefit of traditional banks opening up service accounts in my name without my knowledge

Rascallion
Feb 10, 2014
Cash apps are dumb, stop kvetching pizza money from your friends.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

LanceHunter posted:

:laffo:

I've gladly made the trade of occasional maintenance outages in exchange for being able to quickly reach a reasonable human when I have a problem. Not sure where you're getting the understaffed customer support claim from - maybe your CU just sucks? The two that I've done business with have been pretty rad.

olives black fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Feb 24, 2023

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

:guillotine:

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LanceHunter posted:

lol

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

*extremely fat cartoonish bankster wearing rtop hat + monocle w/ a 3 piece suit clearly bursting at the seams waddles into teh thread smoking a cigar and leaning on his ivory + ebony walking cane*

credit unions are no better than banks, in fact they are worse,

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

LanceHunter posted:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

lol. this

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

LanceHunter posted:

Lol if you give your money to a bank

I'd rather wait an extra day for my check to clear than to do business with such fine and totally not criminal institutions like BofA or wells fargo.

Credit unions are by and large not for profit and when you bank with them you technically have a stake in the business. That business exists to serve the credit union customer. Thats it. Otoh If you give your money to a bank youre just making some rich rear end in a top hat even more rich.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Never had a bank account only credit unions gang

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

You guys don't use a bank for your savings account? Or are we just strictly talking checking accounts

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

You guys don't use a bank for your savings account? Or are we just strictly talking checking accounts

my savings account is with my cu as well as they pay me hella interest and the bank is still like fractions of a percent. also my investments are with an independent discount brokerage. gently caress banks

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
chase gave me a couple hundred bucks to move my checking account over there so now i'm BIG BANK

plus I think you're never more than 2 blocks from a Chase ATM no matter where you are in the US so that's better than trying to track down the 2 ATMs per city that my old CU didn't charge for withdrawals from

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
money market account ftw

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

my savings account is with my cu as well as they pay me hella interest and the bank is still like fractions of a percent. also my investments are with an independent discount brokerage. gently caress banks

Ah. Yeah, if there was a credit union near me that would give decent rates for savings then I'd switch, but the rates all kinda suck so I'm stuck using Ally for now for savings/cd

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

wyoak posted:

chase gave me a couple hundred bucks to move my checking account over there so now i'm BIG BANK

plus I think you're never more than 2 blocks from a Chase ATM no matter where you are in the US so that's better than trying to track down the 2 ATMs per city that my old CU didn't charge for withdrawals from

Cash is only useful for buying drugs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Smugworth posted:

Cash is only useful for buying drugs
well yeah