Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

The US only gave up three runs but I wouldn't say they pitched particularly well tonight. Both offenses left runs on the table for sure though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

In a single 9 inning game where the teams are reasonably matched like tonight there is basically no takeaway other than "baseball". DeGrom/Scherzer/Verlander could have been on the mound and it might have been the same result.

But the small sample of games is what makes it fun. Otherwise the huge talent gap would be made even wider.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Don't let Japan's championship and Ohtani's MVP disguise the fact that Ohtani struck out on a 71mph changeup from a Czech electrician. :smug:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Super Jay Mann posted:

Don't let Japan's championship and Ohtani's MVP disguise the fact that Ohtani struck out on a 71mph changeup from a Czech electrician. :smug:

Baseball is a beautiful sport.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Super Jay Mann posted:

the world baseball classic owns so much

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

mikeycp posted:

it's always fun to see a bunch of countries with fans who are loud and super into it

and then america whose fans are deader than a butcher counter

You might get more passion from fans if the U.S. was broken up into subregions by player birth state. The U.S. player pool is absurdly deep.

CA, FL, TX, "Great Lakes", "SEC", "Eastern Seaboard" - all of those states/regions would field championship-caliber teams (especially the first few I listed), and maybe that garners more local pride than monoculture red-white-blue MURICA. It does dilute the thin pitching further but I'm assuming in this hypothetical that we figure that out for 2026.

Plus we'd get some sweet unis out of it.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

just fwiw I wasn’t talking down on the WBC or anything I absolutely love it

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Lord Of Texas posted:

You might get more passion from fans if the U.S. was broken up into subregions by player birth state. The U.S. player pool is absurdly deep.

CA, FL, TX, "Great Lakes", "SEC", "Eastern Seaboard" - all of those states/regions would field championship-caliber teams (especially the first few I listed), and maybe that garners more local pride than monoculture red-white-blue MURICA. It does dilute the thin pitching further but I'm assuming in this hypothetical that we figure that out for 2026.

this would be cool

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Lord Of Texas posted:

It does sound cool in a vacuum, but all that really accomplishes is pushing out even more of the international talent pool.

You could always do it like Little League, where the US team is just the winner of a qualifying tournament, just in this case comprised of teams separated by region, but obviously the logistics of that type of thing is untenable for MLB.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Ohtani really is the coolest player I’ve ever seen

he's cooler than any player your grandparents have ever seen. it is pretty much impossible to describe how cool it is that we are alive when shohei ohtani is playing baseball because there has literally never been anyone who did it like this. babe ruth was fine as a pitcher and became an amazing position player. shohei is an amazing pitcher and an amazing hitter at the same time. it's just literally never been done. gently caress anyone trying to pull rank saying they saw willie mays at Ebbets field, I got to watch shohei loving ohtani call game

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

haha he struck out mike trout, literally the only other possible contender for best baseball player of all time. holy poo poo that happened and I watched it and I was an hour late for a work dinner and it was worth it

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

My wife watched the first 6ish innings with me and then she had to go meet her brother for dinner and I also had to go to a work thing, but this was me already 20 minutes late

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

mike trout is gonna go into the hall in an angels hat with 3 postseason games to his name and that sucks poo poo

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Pretty cool that he was just about independently tournament MVP as both pitcher and batter.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Last night might have been the best baseball game I've watched in a long time. Single elimination just hits different, especially with all the national pride going on.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Noot it and boot it

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

more falafel please posted:

he's cooler than any player your grandparents have ever seen. it is pretty much impossible to describe how cool it is that we are alive when shohei ohtani is playing baseball because there has literally never been anyone who did it like this. babe ruth was fine as a pitcher and became an amazing position player. shohei is an amazing pitcher and an amazing hitter at the same time. it's just literally never been done. gently caress anyone trying to pull rank saying they saw willie mays at Ebbets field, I got to watch shohei loving ohtani call game
hmm, I think you're underselling Babe's pitching. He was arguably the best pitcher in baseball in 1916 (more likely second best behind Walter Johnson) and was in the conversation in 1917. He just gave it up to focus on hitting.
https://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/AL/1916-pitching-leaders.shtml

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Fast Luck posted:

hmm, I think you're underselling Babe's pitching. He was arguably the best pitcher in baseball in 1916 (more likely second best behind Walter Johnson) and was in the conversation in 1917. He just gave it up to focus on hitting.

Also overselling Ohtani as a hitter. His wRC+ was lower than Jeff McNeil's last year.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

mike trout is gonna go into the hall in an angels hat with 3 postseason games to his name and that sucks poo poo

Ernie Banks sends his regards.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

If Babe Ruth was any good he would’ve played when I was alive.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Lord Of Texas posted:

In a single 9 inning game where the teams are reasonably matched like tonight there is basically no takeaway other than "baseball". DeGrom/Scherzer/Verlander could have been on the mound and it might have been the same result.

But the small sample of games is what makes it fun. Otherwise the huge talent gap would be made even wider.

Just look at Kershaw's playoff history and you can see that anything's possible in one game with reasonably matched teams.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

live with fruit posted:

Also overselling Ohtani as a hitter. His wRC+ was lower than Jeff McNeil's last year.

Ohtani has been the 8th best hitter in baseball over the last two years by your chosen measurement. That's an elite hitter.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Did any other Cubs fans do the Leonardo DiCaprio meme when they held up Seiya Suzuki's jersey at the end of the game?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

What tier of MLB pitcher is Ohtani during the season? His stuff looked pretty nice last night, at least the tiny sample I got to see.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Felix Hernandez has a case for a spot in the Hall and has 0 postseason games.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Zwabu posted:

What tier of MLB pitcher is Ohtani during the season? His stuff looked pretty nice last night, at least the tiny sample I got to see.

This is from his Wikipedia page on his 2022 season

quote:

Among AL pitchers, Ohtani finished the year first in SO/9 innings rate (11.87), third in strikeouts (219), fourth in ERA (2.33) and tied for fourth in wins (15), while amongst AL hitters, Ohtani ranked fourth in homers (34), fifth in OPS (.875), fifth in total bases (304), third in intentional walks (14), tied for third in extra-base hits (70), fifth in slugging (.519), tied for fourth in triples (6), seventh in RBIs (95), seventh in walks (72), and tied for eighth in runs (90).[4] Ohtani also led the majors with a home-to-first average time of 4.09 seconds, and was the only player in the majors to tally at least six triples and 34 home runs in 2022 (making him the only player to do so in a second consecutive year).[141] He hit a ball with the highest exit velocity in major league baseball for the season, at 119.1 mph.[155] He also had the fastest speed running from home plate to first base, at 4.09 seconds.

I dunno, I think this guy might be pretty good.

The main thing that strikes me when I look at him though is just how loving huge that dude is. He looks like hes about to rip through his uniform when he moves. It's kind of like seeing LeBron, and how even when amongst a bunch elite athletes and his peers he still stands out as visibly the biggest, strongest, fastest dude out there.

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

Zwabu posted:

In that one inning last night his stuff was as good as anyone in baseball. I didn't even know he could throw it that fast.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Pedro once again cooler than Smoltz/Arod/etc

https://twitter.com/PitchingNinja/status/1638529688590069761

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Fast Luck posted:

All stats in the segregated leagues are fake.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

habeasdorkus posted:

Ohtani has been the 8th best hitter in baseball over the last two years by your chosen measurement. That's an elite hitter.

And Ruth is still the best hitter of the past 150 years. Ohtani might be a better pitcher than Ruth but a lot of nuance is lost just saying that they’re both amazing hitters.

Bip Roberts posted:

All stats in the segregated leagues are fake.

Including Negro League stats?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/StoolBaseball/status/1638535131706138627?s=20

For comparison: 94% of US TV watchers were tuned to the moon landing in 1969.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

https://twitter.com/StoolBaseball/status/1638535131706138627?s=20

That is out-loving-landish

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

loving hell that's crazy

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Of all TVs? Factoring in homes with more than one TV?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

live with fruit posted:

Of all TVs? Factoring in homes with more than one TV?

Quite likely the 2.6% of TVs not watching the game were playing to empty rooms

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

mdemone posted:

Quite likely the 2.6% of TVs not watching the game were playing to empty rooms

That's 97.4% of all TVs actively in use at that time, not total TVs period.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

That's 97.4% of all TVs actively in use at that time, not total TVs period.

That makes more sense seeing that it happened about 11 am on a workday.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Bip Roberts posted:

That makes more sense seeing that it happened about 11 am on a workday.

A lot of places cancelled work yesterday

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Man, I can’t stop thinking about that final at bat. What an amazing moment. It was everything you look for in sports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Kilometers Davis posted:

Man, I can’t stop thinking about that final at bat. What an amazing moment. It was everything you look for in sports.

If you would have written that ending for a movie it would have been called hokey and unrealistic.

Truth really is stranger than fiction. Babe Ruth struck out Lou Gehrig to end the game.