Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

If you would have written that ending for a movie it would have been called hokey and unrealistic.

Truth really is stranger than fiction. Babe Ruth struck out Lou Gehrig to end the game.

It’s the perfect memorable ending of a treasured baseball film from your youth where two all time great teammates who never got the chance in the playoffs end up against each other in a world tournament. Just, drat, it’s so good! It’s got everything. There’s something about how things can line up in baseball that is so special.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
It was very A League of Their Own.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

live with fruit posted:

It was very A League of Their Own.

I'm loving the idea of Trouty smacking a long liner off the fence, and Shohei having to cover home plate for the throw to get him.

But my Shohei would never drop the ball like that rear end in a top hat Geena Davis. She did it on purpose too.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Not sure what the hell I’m supposed to watch tonight, gonna be hard tough to watch spring training after that.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I wonder who would win, Shohei Ohtani pitching too Shohei Ohtani.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Popete posted:

I made two teams full of Ohtani in MLB The Show. Usually the games were high-scoring but that's because his relief pitching stat is pinned too low and the defensive play in the infield wasn't great. In the first three innings, he struck himself out a lot.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Popete posted:

That's when the universe implodes

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Baseball Reference has his top comps as Nomo and Alonso and I feel like Alonso ultimately wins that matchup.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

https://twitter.com/JomboyMedia/status/1638552751104827394?s=20

LongTimeFirstTime
Sep 29, 2021

Popete posted:

That's basically the plot of Everything Everywhere All at Once.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Zwabu posted:

What tier of MLB pitcher is Ohtani during the season? His stuff looked pretty nice last night, at least the tiny sample I got to see.

He's 6th in ERA (and FIP) for pitchers who've thrown more than 250 innings in the last two seasons. So basically a top 10 hitter and top 10 pitcher at the same time for the past two years.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

habeasdorkus posted:

He's 6th in ERA (and FIP) for pitchers who've thrown more than 250 innings in the last two seasons. So basically a top 10 hitter and top 10 pitcher at the same time for the past two years.

Two All-Star starters in the same body

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Ruth was only a two way play for about two seasons, his final two in Boston. And he never qualified for for the ERA title and batting title in the same season. His "two way" seasons were really just the transition between full time pitcher and full time hitter.

Ruth IP (ERA+) and PA(OPS+) by year:

1917 - 326.1 IP (128) - 142 PA (162)
1918 - 166.1 IP (122) - 382 PA (192)
1919 - 133.1 IP (102) - 543 PA (217)
1920 - 4 IP (94) - 617 PA (255)

meanwhile last year Ohtani had a 172 ERA+ in 166 IP and 145 OPS+ in 666 PA

Every additional year he does this is uncharted territory

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

mdemone posted:

Two All-Star starters in the same body

You could comp him to Verlander and Abreu and those two guys are making $63M combined this year. Getting Ohtani for $50M would be a steal, which is a crazy thing to think about.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

bawfuls posted:

Ruth was only a two way play for about two seasons, his final two in Boston. And he never qualified for for the ERA title and batting title in the same season. His "two way" seasons were really just the transition between full time pitcher and full time hitter.

Ruth IP (ERA+) and PA(OPS+) by year:

1917 - 326.1 IP (128) - 142 PA (162)
1918 - 166.1 IP (122) - 382 PA (192)
1919 - 133.1 IP (102) - 543 PA (217)
1920 - 4 IP (94) - 617 PA (255)

meanwhile last year Ohtani had a 172 ERA+ in 166 IP and 145 OPS+ in 666 PA

Every additional year he does this is uncharted territory

Ruth is still the GOAT for me. Ohtani might surpass him though. Ruth would have made the HOF as a pitcher or a hitter, IMO. If he'd been a hitter from the start he'd probably still have the home run record.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Ruth wasn't the only two way player in his era though. On last night's broadcast they talked about an interview with Lars Nootbar and his impression meeting Ohtani and being around him and he talked about how in a single day Ohtani threw a bullpen, took batting practice and then went into the gym and squatted 500 lbs. I don't think Ruth was doing all that.

For Ohtani to perform at the level he is on both sides is just ridiculous, it takes such discipline and work to pull it off and really nobody else has come close. The only other recent two way player was Michael Lorenzen who is a decent pitcher and meh hitter who finally gave up hitting to focus on just pitching.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I think that's overstating Ruth's pitching. He was a very good pitcher but it's hard to say he would have been a HoF pitcher if he'd stuck with it.

His best season was a 158 ERA+, otherwise he had seasons of 114, 128, 122, and 102. His career ERA+ was 122, which sure, you can make the HoF as a pitcher with that career mark but you need longevity (no guarantees) and some elite seasons in there too. Is he able to maintain that level of pitching into the liveball era? Who knows.

In the limited sample we have, Ruth was not as good a pitcher for his time as Kershaw/Verlander/Scherzer. Could he have put together a Greinke-level career? Possibly but there's no guarantee.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Popete posted:

For Ohtani to perform at the level he is on both sides is just ridiculous, it takes such discipline and work to pull it off and really nobody else has come close.

While you're right, he's clearly an enormous outlier in terms of his physical gifts.

Same thing with LeBron James. He spends all his downtime working on his body and his health, and the results have shown in his relative longevity. But random genetic chance made him bigger/stronger/faster/quicker than everyone else, just like Ohtani.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Bip Roberts posted:

That makes more sense seeing that it happened about 11 am on a workday.

Even so, don't US sports top out in the teens for historic sporting events like the '99 women's world cup final?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Lord Of Texas posted:

You might get more passion from fans if the U.S. was broken up into subregions by player birth state. The U.S. player pool is absurdly deep.

CA, FL, TX, "Great Lakes", "SEC", "Eastern Seaboard" - all of those states/regions would field championship-caliber teams (especially the first few I listed), and maybe that garners more local pride than monoculture red-white-blue MURICA. It does dilute the thin pitching further but I'm assuming in this hypothetical that we figure that out for 2026.

Plus we'd get some sweet unis out of it.

state level tourney would be fun probably. i'm in favor.

alternatively make high school ball a gigantic thing like koshien.

e: also insane that otani is doing all he is on top of taking a pay cut to do it here.

mikeycp fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Mar 22, 2023

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

If the Angels let him get away then I'm done with the franchise. 20+ years of fandom down the drain

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

He's already as good as gone. He wants to win and he's seen how the sausage is made now. Maybe everything breaks right and they can squeak into the postseason this year.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

mikeycp posted:

state level tourney would be fun probably. i'm in favor.

alternatively make high school ball a gigantic thing like koshien.

e: also insane that otani is doing all he is on top of taking a pay cut to do it here.

State, scmate, give me the NoCal vs SoCal all-stars

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

tylertfb posted:

State, scmate, give me the NoCal vs SoCal all-stars

i'm listening

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It would just end in Texas vs Florida in a cruel ironic reverse of everything good about the WBC.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

wedgie deliverer posted:

This is from his Wikipedia page on his 2022 season

I dunno, I think this guy might be pretty good.

The main thing that strikes me when I look at him though is just how loving huge that dude is. He looks like hes about to rip through his uniform when he moves. It's kind of like seeing LeBron, and how even when amongst a bunch elite athletes and his peers he still stands out as visibly the biggest, strongest, fastest dude out there.

He was already an elite pitcher and hitter as a lanky boi and then one summer he decided to just hulk out and add 20 pounds of muscle. Lots of athletes add mass in the offseason but I've never seen anyone add so much and use it so effectively. He's a freak even beyond the baseball skill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

live with fruit posted:

You could comp him to Verlander and Abreu and those two guys are making $63M combined this year. Getting Ohtani for $50M would be a steal, which is a crazy thing to think about.

How much is the opportunity cost of the extra roster spot worth for the team to get the extra reliever or infielder or whoever would be the 26th player?