Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Better angle

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1633647787983400961

needs boingoingoing noise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Mavs are 6-7 after the Kyrie Trade
Durant played 3 games with the Suns

Midseason trades for stars is does not really work out (for that season)

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

nikosoft posted:

I don't think my take on this is particularly wild or anything, but I think the reason they are doing reasonably well is because Ant is actually their best player??

By most metrics KAT last year was better than ANT this year (same scoring but KAT was more efficient, better 3pt shooting, better rebounding, higher WS). They play very differently and there's an argument to be made there's a opportunity cost on a big vs someone like Ant realistically playing both wing and lead guard.

Either way you lost a guy who had 10WS and made the All-NBA team you're going to have an impact.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Veryslightlymad posted:

It's why X-Com's RNG is notorious, even though, near as I can tell, it's one of the most fair and least oppressive RNGs that I am aware of.

There's a kind of obtuse system they use where the % shown isn't always the real %, but there's a simple mod that fixes it. It's usually not far off except in situations where you might literally ONLY be able to get a miss or crit.

Regarding Kyrie:

The second thing about gambling is pretty spot on and I imagine having people blast you on twitter because they lost their house and family because you didn't cover the spread must be awful even if you realistically know you had nothing to do with it.

The first thing he posted is true but it's also "Freshman taking Philosophy 101 and thinking he's special" energy. Its not bad to post but the "I am the only one who knows whats going on, you're all sheep" tone gets super tiring.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Veryslightlymad posted:

It's why God invented Blood Bowl.

Yeah, that's where even the most rational, logic based person will break down and weep.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Reporter standing in the cold with sage smoke blowing on his face waiting 2 hours for Kyrie to finally get around to answering "What about NOLA's Pick and Roll defense was so tough last night?"

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Red Rox posted:

I think betting on games can definitely make the highs higher but man the lows would be wayyyyy lower.

Bet against the team you root for so you just feel mildly depressed all the time.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Bip Roberts posted:

Kevin Durant rolled a 1 on a GFI yesterday.

followed by a 10 on the injury roll then what looks to be a 54 on the casualty table. That's rough.

woulda been more hosed if he tripped and died during warmups, but nurgle would be happy.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

havelock posted:

Intro to philosophy 101 etc etc but it's stuff like that that makes me think Kyrie is reachable. At some level it seems like he cares about oppression and also has a few correct ideas about what leads to and reinforces it, but clearly the whole picture he's developed is deeply flawed. Maybe it's a distinction without a difference, but falling victim to (or whatever willfully engaging with) ideas and movements that are at least nominally about liberation feels easier to correct than something based on hate or an implied desire to just invert the oppressor / oppressed relationship like a lot of the common paths to the right. It seems like he got to the goofy poo poo he did via trying to understand (and find a path forward from) Black oppression, rather than starting with anti-semitism and finding what else could be built on that, but who knows.

You got that all in just 3 hours?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I was about to say everyone knows about that but its actually a DIFFERENT story about Ja and 10 of his friends threatening to beat up teenagers.

I guess they were yelling at his sister in a volleyball game so I feel thats a little more defensible but still man. Stop fighting children.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Just because ja is the size of a child doesn’t mean it’s ok for him to fight other children. In my opinion

I'm petrified of Bismack's land filled with 6'3, 180lb children.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Paracaidas posted:

As more has come out about DLo's final months and his on/off court interactions with Rudy, a lot of the prolonged adjustment period began making more sense. Given KAT's injury, the rotation turnover, and the (expected) deliberate development of Moore and Minott, I'm pretty content with this season. Last year proving that KAT/Ant/Jaden is a playoff caliber core and this year establishing the same for Rudy/Ant/Jaden should make the Wolves challenging to counter moving forward in a way that was never true of the KAT Wolves or Rudy Jazz.

DLo was super important last season, moreso than Jaden, but yeah Ant/Rudy/Jaden + our actually decentish rotation guys is good enough to be in the mix.

I also think the NBA in general is better this season than last season, but it's a zero-sum game so its not like everyone can get better records. I think if we had the exact same team as last year we'd have a record more like the Trail Blazers.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

It's basically everything Dwight always wanted and it's kinda sweet that he gets to live out his make-a-wish in Taiwan like this.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

thumper57 posted:

Isn't the Kyrie smudging thing cause he's got Lakota heritage and not a new age crystals guy activity?

(e: I mean I guess I could have just googled this, but my point being of all the things to bust on the guy for this maybe isn't a fair one)

I don't think its clowning on him for burning sage, just his hole schtick. Sitting on a vlbog burning sage saying your being treated differently by being called out for videoing yourself with a gun in a strip club is, on the whole, pretty corny.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

ouch

quote:

However, since then it’s been pretty much all downhill. The Leopards lost their next 10 games after Howard’s debut, although they did recently win back-to-back games to push their record to 3–11 on the season.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

kingcobweb posted:

the box score is wild. the starters had 15 combined, with three of them posting 0 https://www.nba.com/game/bkn-vs-mil-0022200995/box-score#box-score

The starters also played less minutes that 6 of the bench players. It was basically letting the bench guys have a start as they are playing B2B today.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Someone immediately page Jimmy, Rondo and DWade

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

maruhkati posted:

Tough loss, especially considering Gobert did exactly what you want him to do against a team like Brooklyn. They need to have more scoring options late than just hero ball with Ant.

On the bright side, NAZ REID.

Wolves play up to teams and down to teams. It's so frustrating.

They're just too easy to defend right now. A decent defense can hold them under 50 pts in a half if they're willing to hustle for it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

1. Thinking the Celtics had no chance after they made the finals last year is done galaxy brain poo poo.

2. The Cs will win and his hedged bets won't come particularly close so he'll be 30,000 in the hole instead.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Arpanets posted:

I might take LeBron James in there.

It's gotta be Laker Lebron though, which is still probably worth having in there.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

big boi posted:

Is there a ban on NYPost links or something? Why all the views and no news after two pages? The photo they obtained is going to live forever

https://nypost.com/2023/03/11/inside-ja-morants-50k-gun-toting-booty-bender-at-strip-club

The Russian(probably) guys watching quietly is my favorite aspect.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

i am a moron posted:

Which really is only meaningfully going to impact the contract milestones people are getting, and I kinda get it I guess but seems like a pointless L for the players unless they’re having the league make some other concessions

Why is it a L for players? They are still getting the same number of awards, it's just going to the players who play instead of the ones who don't (in theory, in practice I don't think it'll actually mean anything, who gets all-NBA when playing 40 games?)

Latest scuttle from a lot of players is load management is coming from coaching staff as much or more than its coming from players. I think thats why both sides are alligned at wanting to set something up. Players as they'd like to be able to push back if they want against being told to sit, and from the ownership it's a tragedy of the commons kind of thing.

Lockback fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 13, 2023

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

i am a moron posted:

If the people who have ‘get x amount of money for being all nba’ in their contract go from having no conditions on their eligibility to some conditions, even if they’re totally reasonable, it seems like an L to me. :shrug:

But the awards are still being given out. You can just as easily have a situation where someone MISSES the award because someone got it without playing the # of games, this rule would then benefit them. It's not like they'll say "No 3rd team all-nba this year because so and so didn't play enough games".

Additionally, the money pool is shared. So someone getting a higher bump in their contract comes out of everyone else's contract.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

morestuff posted:

Just sounds like an easy change to make so they can say they “did something” about load management without affecting anything

It's mostly this. It's the path of least resistance for everybody.

Dejan Bimble posted:

Please let me get hurt and ruin our playoff chances for the love of the game

More like "Please let me put up numbers since I am up for a contract next year". Load management hasn't really correlated with reduced injuries (If you are able to just go harder when you're on the floor it takes away any advantage), but it can create an imbalance if you have a team that's pushing it vs a team that's letting guys go out there and put up big numbers.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

I don’t think it’s an L for anybody but it does have a real affect on supermaxes unless those get changed.

In reality the only things that matters in the CBA negotiations are: what gets counted as BRI? And, what’s the split between players and owners? Everything else is just there to try to get concessions on those numbers.

first part: Sure, but it's as likely to cause more super-max eligible players as less.

second part: Mostly agree, though players have prioritized some of their choices on freedom of contracts lately, and in general theres a lot of competition-type issues that can only be addressed by the CBA. So I don't think the other stuff is just window dressing.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Man, things must have been pretty bad for Ja. I thought for sure this was going to be a couple games and then he'd be giving some "I learned my lesson" platitudes and we'd move on. Seems like he is really going through it though.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Blind Pineapple posted:

Couldn’t that minimum game rule backfire on players horribly? I’m thinking 4th year player that looks good for all-nba, but the coach keeps him under the games threshold so he’s not eligible for the rookie max.

I mean that kinda thing can ruin someone's all-nba chances anyway. If its blatant its a problem and even if it's not it's not the look you want for an NBA franchise.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

look, its not like it's anyone's job to win basketball games.

*I do think it's tough to revamp your team like that and expect everything to work right away but they probably should fire Kidd anyway.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Tae posted:

(please don't look up how much money they gave him)

I mean, it's a bad contact but he's getting just 2x the vet minimum. That's not really going to hurt them in any way.

Bertans making over $4m per point per game is way worse.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

If the Mavericks don't sign Kyrie then they are basically giving up on Luka.

If Kyrie decides to walk then, lol. I guess play stupid games, etc

Kyrie has been playing great and now the things the Mavericks need can actually be found in the off season. The kind of move they made never results in same season contention.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Dutchy posted:

I agree and think I'd be more relaxed about this if it didn't all hinge on Mark Cuban successfully team-building instead of endlessly shuffling furniture around his superstar and hoping it'll all work out

A fair worry though they actually have two actual stars now, and it's not a matter of expecting someone to randomly become one because you have them a big contract.

That need what, some bench playmaking and some size on the wing (which is actually hard to find) and a coherent system to play these guys. If they don't like Wood, then maybe some how for a sign and trade for a rotation piece or two? Though I don't know that Wood has a ton of value.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Everybody on Atlanta kinda gave up in the first half when the 3s weren't falling. Though they did make a nice run when the end of bench guys for the Wolves were out there, which I hope helps answer the question "Why don't they play Garza/Minot/Knight more?" (Though Nate Knight rules).

Agree that there's lots they can do with KAT and the team is just so starved for offensive production it won't take much to be a net benefit.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

So I'm starting to look at matchups because I always get so excited by the first couple rounds of the NBA playoffs.

For the West I think the top-3 are probably the top-3, though I think the Kings will overtake the Grizz for the 2 spot. I'd still put money on the Suns at #3 as the Warriors have 8 of the last 13 away.

Watching the Wolves the most, I'm assuming they'll be somewhere in the 6-8 group(shot at #5 but a lot has to go right) and I am kinda assuming they get through the play-in regardless. I'd like to avoid Denver completely (that might be a sweep), I feel like Sac is a really good team but the Wolves match up well against them, so if the Wolves end up #7 that might be ok. Grizzlies I feel like I'd like to avoid but last year's series was amazing and no JJJ will be huge if KAT is actually on the floor. I don't want to play the Suns but wouldn't mind at all facing the Warriors.

At the East I don't see how the top 4 don't all get to the 2nd round, with the POSSIBLE exception of a Knicks/Cavs 4-5 round but I think the Cavs are just the better team overall, even if the Knicks are heating up. I think the first round for the West is going to be great and the East might be a little boring.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Bip Roberts posted:

I'd say Luca, Steph, Donovan, Devin, Ja

The gun stuff/not playing could put Shae, Jalen or even Kyrie above him

I'd put Shae above him regardless. Kyrie has a really good argument too. Ja started the season red hot but cooled a lot down the stretch.

Jack's Flow posted:

I know his team is going nowhere, but Dame has to be in there somewhere.

Yeah Dame too, again even without Ja ending his season Dame is playing better. Portland isn't even that bad of a team, there's just a glut of teams that are a little bit better.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Both those teams have 13-14 games left

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

33-36 also isn't putrid. I think people were expecting too much out of them even with Zion, but its extra tough without your main engine. I also think the NBA is just tougher this season vs last.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm not saying the injury is fake or anything but it's wild to me that it took getting rear ended by a semi on an icy highway for KAT to even miss the first game of his career and now he's missing like 50 games with something as mild sounding as "calf strain"

"Strain" means tear and KAT said it was a Grade 3 which probably means a almost complete tear.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I also think with KAT it was unclear at first how bad it was, and then my guess is he didn't want the team to do a big gloomy "KAT is out for months" so they just kinda left it. A bunch of people are upset they didn't give better updates but I kinda get someone not really wanting a bunch of media and people up in his business.

He's been on the sideline for almost every game so it's not like he's somewhere pouting or anything. It's a legit injury.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

A 2-day intensive in-patient followed by a more typical program for someone who has a traveling job isn't that unusual. The "Spend weeks in a live in facility" is way more rare in real life than it is in movies. So there's nothing so far that screams it's just a PR stunt or anything.

I also think 8 games is a little harsh though the string of events is probably a big factor. And it's probably nice to have a firm date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

I feel like I'm being questioned as if I doubt the validity and seriousness of the injury when my t-shirtpost clearly stated that I trust the team and KAT about the seriousness of the injury

Oh sorry, that wasn't aimed at you at all. There's been a bunch of people including media members who are all "It Seems Fishy" but I think a lot to do with media folks who don't like to be shut out of injury/health news (and I'd always side with a player wanting to keep that private if they want to).