Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Are you in Canada, OP? Because they seem to be obsessed with battle rap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Rap battles are bad slam poetry is bad

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Ya bitch look like Forrest Whitaker

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

A guy I knew did battle raps and they'd know their opponent a week before the event. The whole thing was promoted like a boxing match so who's facing off against who was critical to promoting the events.

Afaik they never just let some random hop on stage and pretend to rap. There are different leagues/circuits though.

Its sounds like you were doing a bit that didn't go well for you, OP.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

BigBadSteve posted:

:piss: I'm starting to think you're having a lend of us.

A probable trouble with you being 'authentic' is that hiphop has conventions. A whole lot of the lyrics are, I believe, about living in, and trying to escape from, the ghetto.

A lot of Gangster Rap is storytelling and fantasy, also. It's like pro wrestling. All the Cossa Nostra NYC mid-90s stuff was role play, no different than Action Bronson talking about doing a triple front flip.

There's all manner of hip hop about all sorts of things it's truly a global art form, but there's also a ton of really quite bad hip hop.

The "backpack" era produced a lot of very, very lovely music that was more focused on pushing the genre and abandoned listenability.

(Looking at Sage Francis fans)

There's a whole paragraph about this in the liner notes of O.ST by People Under the Stairs (RIP DOUBLE K).

At the end of the day, you might look silly as a suburban white guy rocking to Gucci Mane. But, who gives a poo poo. Appreciate the music for what it is. It's totally fine to appreciate music made by people with different backgrounds and upbringings. Just don't internalise it and believe you've got insight into the life because you own 36 Chambers on vinyl.

If you want to contribute to the genre as a boring suburbanite, it's entirely possible, but you run the risk of looking like a biter because most are just going to assume it's being done in bad faith.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

In conclusion rap music is a land of contrasts. I can't really disagree with any of that as you've named like 20 extremely prevalent and influential rappers who were involved in very serious crime and violence.

However, for every one of those guys there are 4000 unheard of gun rappers who are doing it for the aesthetic. Or dudes like Machine Gun Kelly who are from nice suburbs who will play up a checkered past.

I for one prefer a bit of honesty like John Lajoie, who is pretty much what I expect OP was aspiring to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98fBHokcsnY

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

FirstnameLastname posted:

raps history is cool as gently caress and i won't tolerate a god drat goon saying that it's all faked right before suggesting a buncha rappers that someone whose favorite rapper is Aesop Rock would lol
Disgusting

Aesop Rock. How. Dare. You.

My favorite rapper is Big L.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

FirstnameLastname posted:

the violence and drug deaths are the most depressing part of the genre definitely

since about 2019 I had to stop following the scene as closely because it just burned me out and since then, the violence has only gotten worse than it's ever been. so many new up-&-coming artists would be dead by the time i heard of them, or within a year of them making waves

makes it hard to really get into new artists, like if i see an under 20yo drill or trap artist with a hot song, especially? i automatically assume they're more likely to be murdered than they are to have another successful release, it's that bad now, wasn't ever like that until the last 5 years or so

Internet hip hop nerds starting boosting like literal 16 year old gang bangers from Chicago housing projects.

You could just not listen to this stuff and still have thousands and thousands of new rap tracks at your fingertips, which it sounds like you have.

There's plenty of rap and hip hop that isn't exclusively about murdering people in your housing project.

Im not disparaging the literal children making this music but I've got moral qualms gaining entertainment value from listening to nihilistic gang beefs playing out in real time. Seems icky.

I guess my point is you can engage with the genre in a way that isn't bringing you as up close and personal with actual murdering.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Mulaney Power Move posted:

I remember this girl I was talking to ended up hooking up with this slam poetry guy and when she saw him at his club he and all his other slam poet friends or whatever just belittled her the whole night. Like new kid in class goes home from junior high crying bad. I can't explain why this is hilarious to me.

Cmon and slam

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

OP do an MC Ride style freestyle to a Naked City backing track people will appreciate it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

One fish two fish your moms a fat slut