Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE WHATABOUTIST

Palestinian genocide this, American complicity that... but have you considered the myriad crimes of the barbarous Celestial?

bird food bathtub posted:

If things shake out that he goes third party I am looking forward to another round of "....but dogs can't play basketball!" when he ignores all the sore loser laws and just goes ahead and does it anyway. "But technically according to subsection 13, paragraph 8, Trump is not presenting himself as a legally distinct third party candidate he is merely telling his cult followers to write his name in the ballot as is their right to do bing bong so simple laws mean nothing"

gently caress it let him, if he runs as a write-in there is no way the Republicans are winning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

THE WHATABOUTIST

Palestinian genocide this, American complicity that... but have you considered the myriad crimes of the barbarous Celestial?

the_steve posted:

The "competent fascist" thing is just cope by people who are still desperate to convince themselves that Trump was some sort of wild outlier and fluke that could totally never happen again.

No, it's not this doesn't make any sense. The reason people call him a competent fascist is because people are worried he's Trump but less likely to get in his own way to enact his agenda.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

THE WHATABOUTIST

Killer robot posted:

When courts rule against Republicans, typically they do indeed accept it. They come back for a new approach rather than giving up forever, but that's different. And they especially don't just ignore the courts when following procedure gets the same result.

Yeah anyone who is saying this ignored the dozens of times Trump's nonsense got stopped by the courts.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

THE WHATABOUTIST

Kith posted:

That's a pretty heavy punishment. :dadjoke:

Don't worry, it's just a ban but no probe so it'll go by pretty fast.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

THE WHATABOUTIST

Disney needs to be taken down a peg sure as do all big corps, but not like this, this is just stupid and will give them more power.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

THE WHATABOUTIST

Comstar posted:

What ended up stopping them? They broke in, got into some offices… and milled around and walked out.

They didn’t seem any more organized once they smashed a window and climbed in.

Did you miss all the evacuations? You seem to not understand much of what happened that day or what their goals were.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

THE WHATABOUTIST

There's a weird pattern I see in far left arguments, where failure to accomplish goals means those people never intended to do it in the first place. You see it here with the "Jan 6 people never meant to hurt anyone because they didn't kill any politicians"(that were just barely evacuated) or more often "all the Dems never wanted to pass this bill" (because 1-2 of them didn't vote for it). It seems so divorced from the reality of intent and an almost childlike "I could do X if I really wanted to that it almost feels pointless to try to counteract with facts.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

THE WHATABOUTIST

Yeah I follow this political poo poo way more than your average Brandon and I still don't give a poo poo/barely pay attention to the debates beyond the juicy bits that come out in threads like this.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

THE WHATABOUTIST

cat botherer posted:

Yeah, we really need to care enough about libs to tell them to stop posting pictures of Putin making out with Trump.

Where are you even seeing this kind of stuff? Do you have some sort of lib twitter group you follow?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

THE WHATABOUTIST

Mooseontheloose posted:

MA has passed a bunch of laws protecting LGBTQ rights, ROE codification, and voted for a free lunch program this year. What are you looking for specifically?

Also, we finally passed a millionaires tax, have legal weed, legal gambling, and there maybe a chance at sex work getting decriminalized.

People were posting the dems doing good things so they need to divert the conversation back to dems bad at all costs.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

THE WHATABOUTIST

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

One with an easy way out such as minting a coin or evoking the 14th amendment? Yes, at work, constantly. And I always take the metaphorical minting of the minting of the coin route personally because I don’t find it worth anyone’s time to reason with unreasonable people. But then again I don’t think like alleged rapist Biden nor his supporters.

Sure super easy process that has never been done before and will certainly go in front of a republican supreme court.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

THE WHATABOUTIST

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Better not doing anything than because of some mythical robed wizards who have zero legal authority to enforce their rulings under the constitution might do moves that benefit republicans. Instead let’s preempt them and gently caress over the most vulnerable.

Like I said, I don’t think like alleged rapist Biden nor his supporters.

Exactly. Anyone claiming that “Dems blinked” or some poo poo are either naive or actively callous. Dems didn’t blink. They nodded gleefully along while loving over the most vulnerable. Liberals are polite conservatives and nothing more.

Nevermind, It seems you care less about reality then having some "libs" to yell at.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

THE WHATABOUTIST

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

The best thing about originalism is the Supreme Court should have absolutely no power, given both the text of the constitution and intent of many of the founding fathers.

You've argued this before and it didn't make sense then and it doesn't now, you think the Founding Fathers meant to create a supreme court with absolutely no power? What would even be the point?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

THE WHATABOUTIST

Pobrecito posted:

To settle disputes and controversies in certain types of cases in which they are vested original jurisdiction (such as cases between states) and to serve as the ultimate court of appeal. There's plenty for the Supreme Court to do that is specifically authorized by the Constitution beyond reviewing constitutionality via their self-granted authority.

How does one settle disputes and controversies with "absolutely no power"

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

THE WHATABOUTIST

the_steve posted:

Probably because most people look at the usage of the word "power" and apply the context of "power to make laws like the legislators do", which the courts should not be able to do instead of trying to play verbal gotcha.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

“Per se” seems like it’s doing a lot of work here to me.

The constitution grants the Supreme Court zero powers to enforce their ruling. The whole thing is built on a gentlemen’s agreement (excuse the gendered language).

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

To be honest the argument that any of the judges, let alone the Supreme Court as a concept, is legitimate is hilariously foolish without needing to get into the Bush v Gore nonsense. The Supreme Court is granted zero power in the constitution to enforce and rulings and thus can be ignored.

Only those who support the anti-human rights agenda uphold the Supreme Court as anything of worth.

Anyone in power with morals would outright ignore the useless rulings of the Supreme Court and decommission the whole apparatus.

Then most people would be wrong, because this argument has been made by this poster before.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

THE WHATABOUTIST

James Garfield posted:

It turns out that some bad things happen when voters elect Republicans :(

Not as many bad things as when they elected Republicans to the house, senate, and presidency though :)

This hyperbolic nonsense is pointless, could we get a different thread so people can inflate everything to rage against the dems so I can read about actual things that actually happen?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

THE WHATABOUTIST

I would say the only ever "extreme left" rhetoric I've seen mediaish wise that was troublesome is several DSA chapters coming out in support of and repeating the propaganda lies of Russia during the start of the war.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

THE WHATABOUTIST

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'm not sure incarceration stops a trump candidacy. I'm not sure conviction does.

Eugene Debs ran from jail.

I predict a number of extra people would vote for him because of the "persecution". I also predict an exact same number of people would not vote for him because getting caught makes him a loser.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

THE WHATABOUTIST

selec posted:

If you have a defensive force what’s it there for? You have a defensive alliance to defend against something, and create or encourage an atmosphere of military competition by its very existence.

It’s like Ring cameras and Nextdoor. That guy they post about used to just be a guy walking in your neighborhood. But now that they have footage to post, it’s a suspicious individual, casing their neighborhood. What changed? Nothing, except the creation of a system that makes them paranoid by its very existence.

The terror level color code scheme the Bush administration was always wailing about was the same concept. You have a tool, you will feel compelled to use it.

This is insane victim blaming and frankly disgusting.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

THE WHATABOUTIST

Papercut posted:

Not to speak for anyone else, but my read is that people are not arguing from the basis that the US is good, they're arguing that the premise that joining a defensive alliance is an act of aggression is absurd

I feel the need to just change my forums name to AMERICA BAD(one could argue socialsecurity is an example of how America half asses everything) just so everytime I attempt to talk about anything else someone goes "but what about America it did bad thing" Like I can think the poo poo America does is evil while also think the poo poo Russia is currently doing is evil.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

THE WHATABOUTIST

Lib and let die posted:

The issue I have with Leon's statement is that it ascribes the mandate of union membership to the company - the fact that politically conservatives states have employment conditions that allow companies to have mixed membership workforces simply goes to show that companies don't want unions and will seek to disempower and minimize the % of unionized workers wherever possible.

Leon is painting a picture - intentionally or not - of compassionate capitalists wanting union membership - such a concept is absurd, and should be rejected on principle.

Really feels like you are trying real hard to read into things that aren't there in order to rage at your enemies.

Yeah Union joining isn't mandated in some states due to states trying to force unions to die in those places but that is not the norm.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

THE WHATABOUTIST

I learned to read and read a bunch at like 4-5, purely because a kid who was horribly mean to me was a good reader and liked to throw it in peoples faces. What I'm saying here is we should introduce spite/rivalry based learning.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

THE WHATABOUTIST

I live in a very small town, looked up the last mayoral election and the person won with 168ish votes total. So I thought hell I could probably beat that, I've been trying to navigate the requirements and everything to get on the ballot but I've been getting roadblocked every single step of the way. It's amazing how entrenched small town politicians can be and how much power they have to stop anyone from challenging them.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

THE WHATABOUTIST

Gumball Gumption posted:

The Pentagon now says that the Chinese spy balloons did not collect or transmit any intelligence information while over the US. There are also recent reports the equipment was off the shelf commercially available american parts but the Pentagon will not confirm that.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-66062562
From your own article

quote:

He said the efforts the US took to mitigate any intelligence gathering "contributed" to the balloon's failure to gather sensitive information.
So it seems like it was trying to gathering information but it was stopped which is not what you are implying here.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

THE WHATABOUTIST

zoux posted:

There's a lot of conspiratorial thinking on the left as regards the process of politics and government, where people assume that vast Machiavellian conspiracies like Rotating Villain Theory are primary movers where it's all just institutional inertia, cross-pressuring, and the ebb and flow of politics. Remember it's Veep not West Wing.

Kinda like how I wish the Democrats were as left wing and counter-culture as the right pretends they are, I wish the Democrats were as coordinated and unified as the left pretends they are.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

THE WHATABOUTIST

Harold Fjord posted:

:thunk: these don't seem to describe the same things. Maybe you should try being objective

Or squinting

What's "objective" about a conspiracy theory with no real evidence?

"Democrats don't all agree on the same things publicly but they do in secret and just decide which of them takes the blame, they could easily have Manchin vote any way they wanted but just don't"

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

THE WHATABOUTIST

Willa Rogers posted:

I provided plenty of proof that it was executive-branch agencies pressuring companies to censor speech, not just Nadler & Schiff being assholes.

Again, I'll let Koos decide whether I've provided the proof he's demanded, because this gish galloping is exhausting.

I've stated both my beliefs on the matter to the extent I can without getting circular or (more) repetitive, and supported my contentions to the best of my ability.

eta: Koos, maybe if you tell me which specific rules my fan club has reported me for violating I can clear up any misunderstandings that arose as a consequence.

But you haven't though, your own posted evidence states kind of the opposite of what you are saying? Like where is this secret tribunal? You posted about a congressman publicly saying they don't like a thing Facebook was doing and a org that was shut down after a few months that did nothing but ask Facebook to flag a few posts about anti-vax stuff.

Willa Rogers posted:

eta: This entire crap came to light with the government intelligence agencies telling social media to censor information about Hunter's laptop, and that's leaving aside their corralling 51 intelligence officials to intimate that it was fake news when it wasn't.

Not it didn't, it came from agencies NOT saying anything about Hunter's laptop after Facebook decided to flag it on it's own, from the link you yourself posted. Are you reading your own sources?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

THE WHATABOUTIST

I imagine the boycott got several lifelong bud drinkers to expand their horizons and try anything else and realize how much better it is.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

THE WHATABOUTIST

Sure its not great someone snuck in with drugs into the white house, it is not a "scandal" though. It's not like it was Bidens coke or anything. Hell I wish he would do some coke maybe it would put more fight in him.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

THE WHATABOUTIST

Mellow Seas posted:

This does not describe the life of a majority of Trump voters. Stop making excuses for people who support inequality, bigotry and hatred.

It's weird how that keeps getting rolled out despite the hundreds of polls etc showing the average Trump voter to be quite middle class.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

THE WHATABOUTIST

Main Paineframe posted:

Usually it's that the company already has office space and is tired of seeing the space empty. They're already paying rent on that space, and for one reason or another they can't just end the leases entirely and give up their physical presence altogether, so they want to see that space used. Besides, in-person work is easier for managers to manage.

There doesn't seem to be any real consensus on the productivity impact of remote work. Some studies say it increases productivity, some say it decreases it. It's hardly clear-cut. What does seem to be the consensus is that workers tend to think WFH increases their efficiency, while managers tend to think WFH decreases productivity.

My company bought our building(no bonuses for us that year) late 2019, they very very much hate WFH.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

THE WHATABOUTIST

selec posted:

I dunno what I’m supposed to feel about Taiwan but I know I don’t care much one way or the other. I do know I’d prefer not to go to war, regardless of what China does.

Is this just you don't care about imperialism or the human lives that will be lost or because it's China doing it?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

THE WHATABOUTIST

Jesus III posted:

They want to return Social Security to it's roots and make it only for white women

Hey now Social Security does not discriminate when it comes to women.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

THE WHATABOUTIST

Shrecknet posted:

Malls are dying because people don't have any time (to shop) or money (to shop with). Back in the 90s you could wander the mall because your one job gave you enough money to buy some stupid poo poo. Now you gotta have two jobs plus drive Uber to survive, not enough time to go shopping, plus poo poo's expensive now so you have to just buy the cheapest version of whatever you need off Wish and hope you didn't accidentally buy the dollhouse furniture size of what you needed.

I don't disagree that people have less time/money but only like 5% of Americans work 2 jobs. Let alone 2 + a gig. I'm pretty sure the rise of online shopping explains that much better.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

THE WHATABOUTIST

Fine whatever let them investigate they never find anything, better they do this then sit around and come up with new ways to punish the poor.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

THE WHATABOUTIST

fizzy posted:

CNN, ABC News and NBC News have each reported that upon hearing about McConnell's latest freezing incident, President Joe Biden called Mitch a "friend" and a "good friend" and that he (Joe Biden) would "try to get in touch with him later (McConnell) this afternoon".

There is a also a video of Joe Biden making those remarks posted on the Youtube channel of WFAA (a television station licensed to Dallas, Texas, United States, serving the Dallas–Fort Worth metroplex as an affiliate of ABC) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKNYcYYvfv4

Assuming that Joe Biden did in fact make the remarks that he was reported to have made, the newsworthiness of those remarks arise from the following:

(a) If Joe Biden was sincere in making those remarks and does indeed view Mitch McConnell as a good friend of his, one would have to re-evaluate either one's assessment of McConnell's character, or re-evaluate one's assessment of Joe Biden's character and suitability to be the President of the United States.

(b) Alternatively, if Joe Biden was insincere in making those remarks, one would have to re-evaluate the sincerity of Joe Biden's other public-facing remarks, including his campaign promises and policy pledges, and accordingly his character and suitability to be the President of the United States.

or
(c) Not waste time and energy trying to overevaulate some random remarks to the press in order to own my enemies.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

THE WHATABOUTIST

celadon posted:

The idea that western institutions don't set conditions on loans is also inaccurate. From an article on Zambia and Chinese funding:

Sure it's an inaccurate idea, did anyone here actually say that though? I really don't like this general trend amongst leftist that imperialism is good or better as long as it's not American brand imperialism. We see it whenever China does anything in Africa, we see it with people bending over backwards to justify what Russia is doing even though someone doing the same for America in the same scenario would be rightfully shouted down.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

THE WHATABOUTIST

Whenever I talk to a pro-lifer I bring up Republicans anti-free school lunches https://newrepublic.com/post/173668/republicans-declare-banning-universal-free-school-meals-2024-priority

If the person is also on board with starving children(which they usually always are :() I just walk away.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

THE WHATABOUTIST

plainswalker75 posted:

Frankly I'd rather listen to someone ramble on about astrology and star charts than loving Myers-Briggs types

The number of qualified applicants I've had to turn away because their personality profile didn't match whatever specific one they wanted for some position, the whole thing is nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

THE WHATABOUTIST

Christ, I don't even know what's real anymore, wtf is this crap.