Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

The Bible is literally The Book. Talk about the Old Testament, New Testament, Christian apocrypha, or hell any religious text you like: the Quran, the Mahabharata, the U.S. Constitution, etc.

I like the bit in Mark where Jesus curses a fig tree 'cause it ain't got no fruit:

Mark 11:12-14 posted:

12 And on the morrow, when they were come from Bethany, he was hungry:

13 And seeing a fig tree afar off having leaves, he came, if haply he might find any thing thereon: and when he came to it, he found nothing but leaves; for the time of figs was not yet.

14 And Jesus answered and said unto it, No man eat fruit of thee hereafter for ever. And his disciples heard it.

Also the King James Version is the only version I'll read

The long- (and still partially) lost Gospel of Peter features a talking cross at Jesus' resurrection:

Gospel of Peter 35-42 posted:

[35] But in the night in which the Lord's day dawned, when the soldiers were safeguarding it two by two in every watch, there was a loud voice in heaven; [36] and they saw that the heavens were opened and that two males who had much radiance had come down from there and come near the sepulcher. [37] But that stone which had been thrust against the door, having rolled by itself, went a distance off the side; and the sepulcher opened, and both the young men entered. [38] And so those soldiers, having seen, awakened the centurion and the elders (for they too were present, safeguarding). [39] And while they were relating what they had seen, again they see three males who have come out from they sepulcher, with the two supporting the other one, and a cross following them, [40] and the head of the two reaching unto heaven, but that of the one being led out by a hand by them going beyond the heavens. [41] And they were hearing a voice from the heavens saying, 'Have you made proclamation to the fallen-asleep?' [42] And an obeisance was heard from the cross, 'Yes.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

i have been slowly working my way through the bible and i just got to the new testament and wow i love reading the same book 4 times

sube
Nov 7, 2022

Killingyouguy! posted:

i have been slowly working my way through the bible and i just got to the new testament and wow i love reading the same book 4 times

it gets better every time. but everything else in the new testatement is far better

sube fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Apr 1, 2023

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
How come no one talks about the gross evil giants that spawned when angels and humans made babies together.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

I read Ursula K. Le Guin's rendition of the Tao Te Ching recently. A pretty interesting version. Not the best translation but as a book of poetry it's a winner.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Killingyouguy! posted:

They are the same but aren't. You start with Matthew, there's a genealogy going back to Abraham and King David, followed by a virgin birth narrative. Then Mark is next, and neither of those are in there? Luke is the same as Matthew but then you get to John and it's "Jesus is literally God made flesh." Seems like people are missing important details!

Paul instructing the Corinthians to not use the Lord's Supper as an opportunity to get blitzed:

1 Corinthians 11:20-22 posted:

20 When ye come together therefore into one place, this is not to eat the Lord's supper.

21 For in eating every one taketh before other his own supper: and one is hungry, and another is drunken.

22 What? have ye not houses to eat and to drink in? or despise ye the church of God, and shame them that have not? what shall I say to you? shall I praise you in this? I praise you not.

Judgy Fucker fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Apr 1, 2023

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
i read Luke the other day. im going to read Matthew at some point soon. taking a bunch of notes in the process. i feel like ill understand the whole Jesus thing at that point

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

i think the good book is missing some pages
gonna lay down

postfixincrement
Jun 15, 2013

doubleplusgood
I think my favorite bit was Job, because there's a bit of real emotion in there that translates over the millennia, and also because some of the verses sound like they could be death metal lyrics.

Job 17 posted:

13 If the only home I hope for is the grave,
if I spread out my bed in the realm of darkness,
14 if I say to corruption, ‘You are my father,’
and to the worm, ‘My mother’ or ‘My sister,’
15 where then is my hope—
who can see any hope for me?
16 Will it go down to the gates of death?
Will we descend together into the dust?

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
I really like the poo poo talking Jesus does. In John we get

John Chapter 8 posted:

42 Jesus said to them, “If God were your Father, you would love me, for I have come here from God. I have not come on my own; God sent me. 43 Why is my language not clear to you? Because you are unable to hear what I say. 44 You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father’s desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies. 45 Yet because I tell the truth, you do not believe me! 46 Can any of you prove me guilty of sin? If I am telling the truth, why don’t you believe me? 47 Whoever belongs to God hears what God says. The reason you do not hear is that you do not belong to God.”

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
I grew up on the KJV and it's still my favorite but I keep a few versions around, you're supposed to engage with it as a multi-meaning text imo.

I think about this pair of verses a lot, it's a scandalously modern view of gender to my eye:

Matthew 19:11-12, King James Version posted:

11 But he said unto them, All men cannot receive this saying, save they to whom it is given.

12 For there are some eunuchs, which were so born from their mother's womb: and there are some eunuchs, which were made eunuchs of men: and there be eunuchs, which have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven's sake. He that is able to receive it, let him receive it.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I am interested in hearing how that's a view on gender bc to me that just reads like 'cut off your balls for God if you feel called to'

sube
Nov 7, 2022

Killingyouguy! posted:

I am interested in hearing how that's a view on gender bc to me that just reads like 'cut off your balls for God if you feel called to'

two easy ways it relates: (1) marriage is not the end of being male / female (and other passages state asceticism to be superior, as marriage is a temporary institution) and (2) "becoming" an eunuch can be read to be applying to trans people. gender is related to sexuality, so saying that it is unnecessary and even inferior to living sexless is challenging (and why now churches instead promote marriage solely as pre-ordained arrangement etc).

sube fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Apr 3, 2023

sube
Nov 7, 2022

it's really understated how critical early christianity was of sexuality, in my view. St. Augustine for example said:"But I am aware of some that murmur: What, say they, if all men should abstain from all sexual intercourse, whence will the human race exist? Would that all would this, only in "charity out of a pure heart, and good conscience, and faith unfeigned;" much more speedily would the City of God be filled, and the end of the world hastened". St. Jerome viewed marriage as non-Christian outright, though permissible (he called it Jewish)

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
One thing I find really interesting is the difference between the Christian idea of Satan compared to the Jewish view of the Satan, which asserts that the Satan was more or less under the direct employ of God as a tempter of man vs the source of all evil, who spoils america's soil with fetid things like pokemon cards and TASs.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Plant MONSTER. posted:

How come no one talks about the gross evil giants that spawned when angels and humans made babies together.

God's in his heaven

All's right with the world

:nsa:

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
My second favorite blogger, the game designer Andrew Rilstone, wrote a long rambling erudite essay on Mark on his blog a couple years ago, which is the most I've read from the Gospels.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Killingyouguy! posted:

To interpret it adequately, the passage should be read in a bit more context:

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+19%3A1-15&version=KJV posted:

And it came to pass, that when Jesus had finished these sayings, he departed from Galilee, and came into the coasts of Judaea beyond Jordan;

And great multitudes followed him; and he healed them there.

The Pharisees also came unto him, tempting him, and saying unto him, Is it lawful for a man to put away his wife for every cause?

And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female,

And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?

Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

They say unto him, Why did Moses then command to give a writing of divorcement, and to put her away?

He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so.

And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.

His disciples say unto him, If the case of the man be so with his wife, it is not good to marry.

But he said unto them, All men cannot receive this saying, save they to whom it is given.

For there are some eunuchs, which were so born from their mother's womb: and there are some eunuchs, which were made eunuchs of men: and there be eunuchs, which have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven's sake. He that is able to receive it, let him receive it.

Then were there brought unto him little children, that he should put his hands on them, and pray: and the disciples rebuked them.

But Jesus said, Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven.

And he laid his hands on them, and departed thence.

What follows is opinion.

This is a (probably stitched-together and summarized) record of the teachings on gender, sexuality, marriage, and age given by Jesus.

He begins by criticizing the legalistic and unfair process of divorce that existed in the Judaean society of the day, where a woman could be left destitute by a man who decided he was done with her. In that society, the only just thing to do is for a man to treat marriage as a lifelong commitment to take care of the woman, barring extreme circumstances. Traditional interpretations go further and say that marriage is [e: lifelong], etc.

That sets the scene for my favorite passage, where Jesus says that there are people who exist outside this world of lifelong commitment and normative sexuality. He breaks them down into three categories, using 'eunuch' as the term familiar to his contemporaries as a third gender. The first category is what we would call today an intersex person; someone born outside the binary of biological sex. The second category is someone who has undergone body modification; because Jesus was speaking to late antique Judaeans, the only body modification that would come to mind is the surgery that makes a eunuch. The third category, generally interpreted as being metaphor, refers to anyone who becomes like a literal eunuch for moral, religious, or conscientious reasons.

The most mainstream interpretation of this third category would be the ordained celibate priesthood, like the Catholic priesthood. Since many denominations allow priests to marry, a better example would be the monastic tradition of taking a celibate vow: doing celibacy as a religious practice. This mainstream interpretation is also quite cold on the idea that anyone should literally become an anatomical eunuch.

I don't really like this as an all-encompassing reading, because it hinges on a very specific interpretation of a deliberately loose metaphor. Certainly, people can be religiously called to a life of celibacy, and I think it can be a really good thing. But becoming a metaphorical eunuch for the sake of doing what's right could also mean a person who experiences gender dysphoria living outside binary gender so that they can lead a happier, more productive life, doing the Lord's work.

The very literal interpretation isn't really excluded from the way I read it, because the general idea of 'becoming a eunuch' as stepping outside normative gender and sexuality is of course inclusive of body modification as needed. In fact, I am a trans Christian who has undergone relevant body modification and lives outside normative gender and sexuality. So to wrap up, I think one should not confine Jesus, a famously enigmatic and metaphorical teacher, to cut and dry interpretation.

Ohtori Akio fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Apr 4, 2023

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
you dont have to read that, jesus ftw. also some translations break out the bit about kids into its own little heading

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Killingyouguy! posted:

Each one gets better. They are pretty much in order of good reading, so it's not as punishing as it seems. Luke is my favorite overall, but I love near the end of John where Jesus actually says that he's going to stop talking in parables and really break poo poo down.

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Apr 4, 2023

sube
Nov 7, 2022

quote:

Traditional interpretations go further and say that marriage is eternal, etc.

Good post, but this is inaccurate. Only Mormons really say this, as Jesus explicitly denounces that view (us being angels in heaven instead). Ofc popular education doesn’t really emphasise it so a lot of people have wrong views but it’s not the traditional interpretation really

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

sube posted:

it's really understated how critical early christianity was of sexuality, in my view. St. Augustine for example said:"But I am aware of some that murmur: What, say they, if all men should abstain from all sexual intercourse, whence will the human race exist? Would that all would this, only in "charity out of a pure heart, and good conscience, and faith unfeigned;" much more speedily would the City of God be filled, and the end of the world hastened".

Augustine was such a fuckin’ loser lol. Spent his youth fuckin’ anything that moved and oh wow he had a crisis of the spirit and found Jesus, hey guess what everyone sex is actually bad don’t do it.

Tail for me, but not for thee

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

sube posted:

Good post, but this is inaccurate. Only Mormons really say this, as Jesus explicitly denounces that view (us being angels in heaven instead). Ofc popular education doesn’t really emphasise it so a lot of people have wrong views but it’s not the traditional interpretation really

You're right, the traditional interpretation is that it's nominally lifelong. I'll edit.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

There is to be no editing of posts in this thread. All posts are the revealed words of the divine. To put words on God’s (or gods’) lips is blasphemy.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
I'm just retranslating from the Greek my posts were originally written in.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Judgy Fucker posted:

All posts are the revealed words of the divine.

pee pee poo poo

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Killingyouguy! posted:

pee pee poo poo

1 Corinthians 14:2 posted:

For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

sube
Nov 7, 2022

Ohtori Akio posted:

You're right, the traditional interpretation is that it's nominally lifelong. I'll edit.

just error on your part but marriage being eternal i‘ve heard a lot and annoys me since beyond unduly worshipping marriage also gives heaven a really anthropomorphic form, which is imo really wrong. like church fathers were right when they wrote how heaven doesn’t have a form of time like we do, we won’t be sexed, our bodies won’t necessarily be like we are now (a church sect even argued we‘d be spheres due to platonism seeing it as most perfect form lol, which a church council anathematised)

sube fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Apr 4, 2023

sube
Nov 7, 2022

Judgy Fucker posted:

Augustine was such a fuckin’ loser lol. Spent his youth fuckin’ anything that moved and oh wow he had a crisis of the spirit and found Jesus, hey guess what everyone sex is actually bad don’t do it.

Tail for me, but not for thee

at least he doesn‘t call you a Jew for having sex/ children like st. jerome :D

sube
Nov 7, 2022

i still love his confessions though. even if he idealises himself in a way lol

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

sube posted:

I read him for a graduate seminar on ancient political philosophy and I found him fascinating insofar as contextualizing his ideas--just war, the City of God, etc.--within the rapidly-decaying Roman State in the West, but everything he had to say just seemed so dumb and bad. On occasion I found myself actually getting mad reading him. Not that every "bad" thing (scare quotes here doing a lot of lifting) about Christian theology is because of him as you mention but a shitload of it does come from this fart-huffer living in northern Africa 16 centuries ago.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

sube posted:

just error on your part but marriage being eternal i‘ve heard a lot and annoys me since beyond unduly worshipping marriage also gives heaven a really anthropomorphic form, which is imo really wrong. like church fathers were right when they wrote how heaven doesn’t have a form of time like we do, we won’t be sexed, our bodies won’t necessarily be like we are now (a church sect even argued we‘d be spheres due to platonism seeing it as most perfect form lol, which a church council anathematised)

Yeah I think the teaching regarding marriage should be seen as practical far moreso than symbolic or holy. It is literally just good advice we ought to stick with if at all possible.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Just finished John. Going to read Acts for the first time in my adult life. I hear this is when stuff gets good.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

sube posted:

the opening of Wittgenstein's philosophical investigations, one of the most important works of 20th century philosophy, is a quote from the confessions about what words are (which he then spends ages disagreeing with in detail). they were pretty influential!

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

The Human Crouton posted:

Just finished John. Going to read Acts for the first time in my adult life. I hear this is when stuff gets good.

Don't feel obligated to go back and re-read Luke but there's a solid consensus amongst scholars that not only are Luke and Acts written by the same person, but they were originally part of the same work; at some point they were split into the gospel and history halves. "Luke-Acts" is a term that's not uncommon in academia.

Acts is interesting because 2/3 of it is about Paul, but then when you read Paul's letters it's clear the person who wrote Luke really didn't know Paul all that well.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Judgy Fucker posted:

Don't feel obligated to go back and re-read Luke but there's a solid consensus amongst scholars that not only are Luke and Acts written by the same person, but they were originally part of the same work; at some point they were split into the gospel and history halves. "Luke-Acts" is a term that's not uncommon in academia.

Acts is interesting because 2/3 of it is about Paul, but then when you read Paul's letters it's clear the person who wrote Luke really didn't know Paul all that well.

That sounds good to me. Luke is my favorite gospel overall. I found it to be the most concise while also including the most content.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Judgy Fucker posted:

well there's also a good chance that "paul" didn't write all of his letters

eta from the New Oxford Annotated Bible with Apocrypha: New Revised Standard Version:

webcams for christ fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Apr 15, 2023

sube
Nov 7, 2022

distortion park posted:

the opening of Wittgenstein's philosophical investigations, one of the most important works of 20th century philosophy, is a quote from the confessions about what words are (which he then spends ages disagreeing with in detail). they were pretty influential!
Okay I'm curious, what is Wittgenstein's disagreement with Augustine there? If you can summarise it

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

We love that bible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

sube posted:

Okay I'm curious, what is Wittgenstein's disagreement with Augustine there? If you can summarise it

a summary won't do it justice and it'll get mangled, i implore that no one else attempt it. read Philosophical Investigations, get it from the man himself