Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

James Ellroy is my favourite author who admits to wanting to shag his mum, and who also became obsessed with true crime after the mum he lusted after was murdered. This combination of issues led him to eventually write the L.A. Quartet, which are the following 4 books:

- Black Dahlia
- The Big Nowehere
- L.A Confidential
- White Jazz

All of these are pretty much noir detective novels that blend in real life characters and events from the 1940s to 1960s into a fictional overarching story (usually involving brutal and gross murders, again usually of women for some reason). These are my go to books to read when I don't want to read something new and just want to enjoy a good complicated story. It has one of the best book villains of all time, and also is the basis for the Oscar winning movie L.A. Confidential (which is what got me wanting to read the books in the first place).

He also wrote the Underworld USA triology of books, which kindof follow on from the L.A. Quartet but are less noir detective and more mob/criminal conspiracy books set in the 1960s onwards. The way they are written is quite difficult to follow in places and, although I've read these a couple of times, I'm too dumb to understand everything that's happening in them. I partially blame that but usually straight after re-reading the L.A. Quartet and am already burnt out after reading hundreds of thousands of words about crimes in the USA.

Anyone else like to talk about the L.A Quartet/Underworld USA trilogy? We can also talk about how James Ellroy is either a full right-wing nut job, or just pretends to be to wind people up. I also wanted to ask if anyone had any recomenndations for similar modern authors who write complicated crime books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
An English teacher in my HS managed to get Ellroy to speak to his class and I sat in on it. At some point he was asked about the feud he had with [some other crime writer] and the response was:
"That's like getting my led-humped by a half-blind syphilitic Chihuahua"

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I used to be big into Ellroy and while I haven't read his stuff for probably 7 years at this point I still think quite highly of the Underworld USA trilogy and the LA Quartet. He's definitely a writer with a lot of hangups and obsessions and a kind of inscrutable political outlook but it shakes out into really compelling fiction, even when he's doing experimental 'no-sentence-longer-than-seven-words' stuff in The Cold Six Thousand. I am not convinced at all that he's some kind of right-wing nutjob (anymore, anyway; he may well have been a nazi in his youth as he says, although I remember thinking that he was mostly saying that stuff to troll interviewers). Granted, my main evidence to the contrary is that the Underworld USA trilogy resolves with every surviving character who's been a cop or a spy or an assassin or a bagman for the mob finding some measure of redemption by either becoming a communist or aligning with black rights, although also by finding A Good Woman, because his hangups are in evidence to the end. Although that trilogy also has quite a lot of contempt for the Black Panthers, so as I said, inscrutable.

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.
I've read the two books from his prequel quartet that have come out. The storylines seem intricate and twisty while in the moment, but a lot of them suffer from the prequel problem of having to end up going nowhere because of the status quo from the rest of the series that has to be set up. Still the quality of writing is really strong and I want to see where he's going with the reveal that Elizabeth Short is Dudley Smith's daughter.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

FilthyImp posted:

An English teacher in my HS managed to get Ellroy to speak to his class and I sat in on it. At some point he was asked about the feud he had with [some other crime writer] and the response was:
"That's like getting my led-humped by a half-blind syphilitic Chihuahua"

That owns.

John Charity Spring posted:

I used to be big into Ellroy and while I haven't read his stuff for probably 7 years at this point I still think quite highly of the Underworld USA trilogy and the LA Quartet. He's definitely a writer with a lot of hangups and obsessions and a kind of inscrutable political outlook but it shakes out into really compelling fiction, even when he's doing experimental 'no-sentence-longer-than-seven-words' stuff in The Cold Six Thousand. I am not convinced at all that he's some kind of right-wing nutjob (anymore, anyway; he may well have been a nazi in his youth as he says, although I remember thinking that he was mostly saying that stuff to troll interviewers). Granted, my main evidence to the contrary is that the Underworld USA trilogy resolves with every surviving character who's been a cop or a spy or an assassin or a bagman for the mob finding some measure of redemption by either becoming a communist or aligning with black rights, although also by finding A Good Woman, because his hangups are in evidence to the end. Although that trilogy also has quite a lot of contempt for the Black Panthers, so as I said, inscrutable.

Yeah, it seems weird to me if he was a nut-job that he would write an LA police force who are thoroughly corrupt and successfully solve zero crimes without railroading at some innocent people along the way. Glad that it's not clear for anyone else though.

The Lobotomy Kid posted:

I've read the two books from his prequel quartet that have come out. The storylines seem intricate and twisty while in the moment, but a lot of them suffer from the prequel problem of having to end up going nowhere because of the status quo from the rest of the series that has to be set up. Still the quality of writing is really strong and I want to see where he's going with the reveal that Elizabeth Short is Dudley Smith's daughter.

I haven't read the prequals yet because I thought Perfidia got middling reviews. I hovered over that spoiler like a moron though, so reading that has made me want to get up to speed :monocle:

BrownPepper
Dec 30, 2017
American Tabloid is one of my favorite books. I love it as much as Pete Boundarant loves snapping handcuffs bare handed. I don't know if calling Ellroy if right wing is the best way to describe him, but he is definitely reactionary and has just kind of a baseline cynicism of people in general. I do think he tends to right lefties, commies, etc as sympathetic, and he has an absolutely genuine hatred for American power structures. I think White Jazz is his stylistic high point.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I kind of enjoyed the middle part of My Dark Places where it's just Ellroy talking about all the various ways to get hosed up on a budget.
Lots of unexamined pain and grief being processed by chewing on inhalers and poo poo.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
I want to see the actual size of LA Confidential if it exists in a world where the publisher didn't make him take out every other word in a sentence.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Posting in this thread and reading the cool replies has made me decide to finally get around to reading everything Ellroy has put out. I've bought Confidential, and I'm going to read that after finishing White Jazz. Then I'll go through the L.A. Quarter II books for the first time, then Underworld USA, then his biography. I need to know how to get hosed up cheaply due to inflation.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

I bought the hardcover reissued special editions of the Underworld USA trilogy and they are dope as hell. I spend a lot of time thinking about how badly Hollywood would gently caress up casting Pete Bondurant in a movie version.

Also, "He used to pimp and pull shakedowns. Now he rode shotgun to history." is one of my favorite lines ever from any book.

I remember being completely blown away the first time I read American Tabloid. It was so....I dunno, visceral is the word that comes to mind. I also had fun looking up the historical events mentioned in the book and finding out that a lot of that poo poo actually happened.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Apr 14, 2023

BrownPepper
Dec 30, 2017
it's insanely heightened and obviously plays fast and loose with actual events, but it is spiritually nonfictional

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

BrownPepper posted:

it's insanely heightened and obviously plays fast and loose with actual events, but it is spiritually nonfictional

Oh yeah he takes a lot of liberties at times but I specifically remember the part about the French police straight up beating a shitload of Algerians to death and that 100% happened

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_massacre_of_1961

BrownPepper
Dec 30, 2017
it blew my mind when I realized that Chuck Rodgers was a real guy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Rogers_(murder_suspect)

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

BrownPepper posted:

it blew my mind when I realized that Chuck Rodgers was a real guy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Rogers_(murder_suspect)

And he really was a petroleum geologist lol

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.

BrownPepper posted:

The mass chainsaw execution during the bay of pigs or Jack Ruby loving dogs are inspired.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Another exchange from American Tabloid that I really, really love for some reason

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

The Lobotomy Kid posted:

The mass chainsaw execution during the bay of pigs or Jack Ruby loving dogs are inspired.

Jack Ruby, Dog-Fucker is one of those things that I refuse to believe isn't real.

also the KKK training the Bay of Pigs invaders isn't real but it feels like it should be

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

John Charity Spring posted:

Jack Ruby, Dog-Fucker is one of those things that I refuse to believe isn't real.

also the KKK training the Bay of Pigs invaders isn't real but it feels like it should be

I also like to believe that Jimmy Hoffa went fishing for sharks and used a baseball bat with barbed wire wrapped around it to whack 'em.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Oh, not only did I forget that the sequel to Perfidia exists but I bought it and didn’t read it yet. And a new book too.

I loved, LOVED, everything he did but started losing interest after American Tabloid wrapped up. A lot of this I suspect my own interest in noir, and horror waining. Something about the world now giving the kind of chills I used to get from fiction, and being a lot less fun.

Also watching that show he did with the animated dog definitely had an effect. I think it removed the scumbag mystique from his writing and made me revisit my wife’s opinion that he’s trying a little too hard.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Never picked up any Ellroy, but I loved the movie LA Confidential, and the excerpts I've read as a result of this thread make me think I should change that.

Remulak posted:

that show he did with the animated dog

...but I really want to know more about this.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I’m reading White Jazz right now but I’m really thrown off by the writing style. I don’t remember his other books being written like this but it has been a while since I’ve read his other books.

BrownPepper
Dec 30, 2017

AFewBricksShy posted:

I’m reading White Jazz right now but I’m really thrown off by the writing style. I don’t remember his other books being written like this but it has been a while since I’ve read his other books.

It is definitely more striped down and stylized than the preceding books. I think White Jazz is basically the platonic ideal of Ellroy's style. But I think it works because it's a focused narrative with just one point of view character. Cold Six-thousand brings back that same brutally sparse prose, which I don't think works well in a decade spanning epic with multiple point of view characters.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
One of the fascinating things about Ellroy is that at age 44, and having been successfully writing crime novels in a fairly conventional prose style for over a decade, with White Jazz he suddenly goes full modernist.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Ellroy just announced a new novel:

quote:

A new novel from James Ellroy is coming this September

In THE ENCHANTERS, James Ellroy—Demon Dog of American Letters—goes straight to the tragic heart of 1962 Hollywood with a wild riff on the Marilyn Monroe death myth in an astonishing, behind-the-headlines crime epic.

Pre-order your copy here: https://bit.ly/3O3ytx6

(Posted by the author's publisher)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
The Enchanters came out this week. I'm picking up my reserved copy from the library this weekend.