Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Anachronist posted:

I enjoyed lathe of heaven. Read it on a backpacking trip and tbh gave myself the heebie jeebies. I can see why one wouldn’t put it in their top top tier though. It’s the only one I’ve read besides omelas I guess. Sounds like I need to check out some other books of hers.

Having read The Lathe of Heaven in one sitting, and coming off re-reading the rest of her back catalogue - I think it's a great allegory for how we all influence and change the world, which fits well with the Earthsea books and The Dispossessed.

We start off with a world wrecked by mankind collectively, afflicted by climate change and war. Haber uses Orr's ability to try and change the world to fit his own ideals, but each time has to grapple with the unintended consequences of that utopia. it's clear that Orr's Taoist ideals of living in peace with the consequences of your actions is for the best from Le Guin's perspective. I'm glad I left this as the last book as I think on its own it's not quite as strong, but it resonates a lot with her other works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

I'm not joking that reading her rendition of the Tao Te Ching makes The Lathe of Heaven a lot more enjoyable, especially with the theme of "uncut wood"

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

A Strange Aeon posted:

I just finished the Dispossessed a week or so ago and loved it. It does something subversive which most speculative fiction pretends to do by presenting ideas that can't exist outside the framework of the fiction, whereas the Dispossessed seems like an actual honest exploration of real world philosophy and presents a plausible depiction that's far from utopian.

It made me pick up her first short story collection which has a story set in the same setting related to the Dispossessed that I'm excited to read. Two of the testimonials or whatever are people comparing her to Borges which I'd never heard before but makes me even more excited since he's one of my favorites.

I tried Left Hand when I was very young, like junior high or late elementary school and don't remember a thing about it. Definitely on my list to read again.

slightly annoyingly her short stories have been published in a million different overlapping groupings. I think the easiest way to read them are in the two volumes of The Unreal and the Real, as that's the most complete.

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

distortion park posted:

slightly annoyingly her short stories have been published in a million different overlapping groupings. I think the easiest way to read them are in the two volumes of The Unreal and the Real, as that's the most complete.

:sickos:
Sounds good! I just ordered the Unreal and the Real the other week, on a whim.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

BeastOfTheEdelwood posted:

For what it's worth, I don't think Le Guin would appreciate Rowling.

Ursula Le Guin posted:

I have no great opinion of it. When so many adult critics were carrying on about the ‘incredible originality’ of the first Harry Potter book, I read it to find out what the fuss was about, and remained somewhat puzzled; it seemed a lively kid’s fantasy crossed with a ‘school novel’, good fare for its age group, but stylistically ordinary, imaginatively derivative, and ethically rather mean-spirited.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
I haven't read any of her work, but she's been on my to-read list for a long time. But I have some Lem to finish first before I get started on another author.

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
The Lathe of Heaven still has some lovely imagery and exploration of consciousness and being, but it has a slightly leaden quality as an actual novel imo. I felt like I was being beaten over the head with how bad Haber’s utilitarian proto-Yudkowsky philosophy is even though I completely agree that it’s bad. For such a short novel on such a huge concept it manages to go a bit aimless and draggy for thirty pages near the end as well. I did really like the revelation about April 1998 and the questions it poses about the story’s reality.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Just finished The Word for World is Forest. A lot more ‘simple’ than a lot of her work and definitely a lot more on the nose, but I don’t think that’s necessarily a bad thing. Sometimes it’s nice to read a short story with obvious good guys and bad guys. Definitely worth a read, and easily doable on one long journey.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
E: oops

Jakabite fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Apr 12, 2023

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Okay, I've read two short stories that I think are set in the Earthsea setting and dug them. Same with a story that seemed set on the world of Left Hand of Darkness judging from her introduction.

And my wife remembered reading the Lathe of Heaven in her book club a few years ago and liking it.

So I guess my question is, is Left Hand good to read on its own if I've only read the Dispossessed and Winter's King?

And is Earthsea just 3 books set in the fantasy world depicted in the Rule of Names and the Word of Unbinding?

And Lathe is stand alone, right?

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

1. The Hain novels share a continuity, but every novel is completely standalone. You don't need to know anything about any other Hain book to enjoy any one of them.

2. Earthsea is six books divided into two trilogies, and yes, The Rule of Names and The Word of Unbinding are both part of it.

3. Lathe is completely standalone and connected to nothing else.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Youremother posted:

1. The Hain novels share a continuity, but every novel is completely standalone. You don't need to know anything about any other Hain book to enjoy any one of them.

2. Earthsea is six books divided into two trilogies, and yes, The Rule of Names and The Word of Unbinding are both part of it.

3. Lathe is completely standalone and connected to nothing else.

And I guess unspoken is that they are all worth reading if I think I'd enjoy them?

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Well, I'd tell you what I honestly think, which is that she is the singular absolute greatest science fiction and fantasy writer of the 20th century, perhaps ever, but that might be selling her a bit hard.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I'm getting there and I've barely read any of her stuff yet!

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
i read Left Hand first and had no issues. really beautiful book, especially in the 2nd half

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

Youremother posted:

I'm not joking that reading her rendition of the Tao Te Ching makes The Lathe of Heaven a lot more enjoyable, especially with the theme of "uncut wood"

Her rendition of the Tao Te Ching? Where can I check that out

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

MNIMWA posted:

Her rendition of the Tao Te Ching? Where can I check that out

Unfortunately I don't think it's anywhere online legally, but why not consider asking Your Local Library?

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

Youremother posted:

Unfortunately I don't think it's anywhere online legally, but why not consider asking Your Local Library?

I'll give that a shot, though my library is rural and tiny they do interlibrary loans

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

Been blasting through Earthsea books on the thread’s recommendation and I would say they’re good. Fun also seeing how more recent books that I’ve read are really just aping Le Guin.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Anachronist posted:

Been blasting through Earthsea books on the thread’s recommendation and I would say they’re good. Fun also seeing how more recent books that I’ve read are really just aping Le Guin.

Her influence over both genres is so huge. Even at a explicit reference level, the first sequence in Ancillary Justice is a long ode to The Left Hand of Darkness, and I've read multiple books which use the word "ansible".

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I recently picked up the large Books of Earthsea and read Lathe of Heaven due to discussions in this thread in part. The current Book of the Month in the other book forum is Rocannon's World and I was able to pick up Worlds of Exile and Illusion (of which Rocannon's is the first) for cheap on Kindle. Am now reading it, just read the prologue short story The Necklace, and wow is it ever good, if a sad, short story.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
How timely for this thread to pop up again! I've just been playing an rpg called Colony Ship and it reminded me of Paradises Lost from her Birthday of the World collection.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

I should read more of her stuff, more to add to my ever-growing list. I didn't realize that she was the author of Catwings, I remember reading and enjoying some of those as a child.

I have never read The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas, and that is a failing of mine because I know all about it and the concept of it, and it's one of those concepts I can't help but keep coming back to as I live my life. Really need to fix that and read it soon, never enough time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Mind over Matter posted:

I should read more of her stuff, more to add to my ever-growing list. I didn't realize that she was the author of Catwings, I remember reading and enjoying some of those as a child.

I have never read The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas, and that is a failing of mine because I know all about it and the concept of it, and it's one of those concepts I can't help but keep coming back to as I live my life. Really need to fix that and read it soon, never enough time.

It's a good story but really even she admits that the core is borrowed from others. In fact, the central premise of the Brothers Karamazov explores the idea thoroughly, though it's a much bigger commitment of course.