Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Just finished this series. Great books. Who read them???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
I did, I liked the part with the nanowires, I liked the part with the droplet, and I liked the 2D-ifier bit.

Basically if people were dying in horrific and imaginative ways that is the part of the sci-fi book that usually gets my dick the hardest. Metaphorically, of course.

My brain dick, that's what I was getting at.

I like violent sci-fi deaths and I am done being ashamed.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The bit in the 2nd book where they can use the 4th dimension to reach inside people and rip out their heart is cool 🤙

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Probably my favourite sci-fi series, goddamn is it brilliant

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

These never clicked for me, didn't care about any of the characters and the sci fi bits felt like Calvinball

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I adored a lot of the sci-fi aspects, but found the characters and a lot of the assumptions about human behavior to be ridiculous. It felt like trauma-sci-fi which I can't blame the author for, but it got it the way of a lot of the premises. The ending scene really lanced my heart, though.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the last book in particular is just endless misery and bad things happening lol but the ideas are so good. i lvoed them

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
haven't read it but the bit about harvesting power all the mind upload/computer simulated heavens after the heat death of the universe rocks

Ass-penny
Jan 18, 2008

I read them in the mid to late 10s and remember liking them, but the specifics really allude me. I kind of vaguely remember the things people have been posting about. I feel like every page was something completely different and crazy, but I have a vague sense that when it did explain how they were related it always made me :pusheen:
A friend read it and said that the rapid and diverging elements all could have been their own books, and the lack of further explanation made them like it less. I remember liking them and recommending them :shrug:

the ant crawling on the gravestone might be my most concrete memory of the series, besides the game/actual planet in the tri-solar system.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
cringe books that everyone insisted they were good because they were translated from chinese which was weird and vaguely patronizing/gaslighting. the dark forest is an entire that'd be done to death years before and i don't know why these books got any kind of attention.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Horizon Burning posted:

cringe books that everyone insisted they were good because they were translated from chinese which was weird and vaguely patronizing/gaslighting. the dark forest is an entire that'd be done to death years before and i don't know why these books got any kind of attention.

lol

anyway, the audiobook for the first book was so good, honestly the only audiobook I've liked

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Horizon Burning posted:

extremely cringe post

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

liking books is gaslighting

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Horizon Burning posted:

cringe books that everyone insisted they were good because they were translated from chinese which was weird and vaguely patronizing/gaslighting.

uh

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
The hard sci-fi was neat but I also remember the author being really obviously misogynistic and homophobic in several places so

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Syenite posted:

The hard sci-fi was neat but I also remember the author being really obviously misogynistic and homophobic in several places so

brilliant superhero scientist thinking real hard about a meek shy subservient girl he'd like to have and she becomes real and his girlfriend instantly -- lmao

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

the future society was cool and I liked the ending but dude writes women like an incel.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
I require the perfect wife in order to save the world. No you cannot know why.

Ass-penny
Jan 18, 2008

gently caress I had kind of forgotten about all that with the women.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Yeah the imaginary wife bit was... probably the worst part of the books lol

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

A lot of the scenes felt like the author’s fetishes bleeding through, but it was so sexless overall I just glossed it and moved on to the cool nightmare concepts like lightspeed deadzones

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
The woman who dooms humanity because she is a woman, who are all, as we know, weak and prone to feelings.

Also the future where all the men are soft and feminine and unable to do what must be done like real men.

lol at this author

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010
Lolllll

What is it about fantasy & sci-fi that always has the authors showing their whole psychosexual asses?

yugioh mishima
Oct 22, 2020

i read the first book and while it was cool to read, i had no desire to read another two books’ worth of it. the ideas are cool but it’s very dry

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Chicken Butt posted:

Lolllll

What is it about fantasy & sci-fi that always has the authors showing their whole psychosexual asses?

Hard sci-fi/urban fantasy = :biotruths: I guess. I remember checking out some of Jim Butcher's stuff and just immediately checking out because he was real creepy about women.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I remember everything being very depressing and essentially saying "even if you mind your business a bigger, unexpected entity will push your poo poo in" and its ultimately kind of nihilistic.

Chicken Butt posted:

When you have the freedom to create a world a lot of your own biases bleed I to it, is my guess.

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

When you have the freedom to create a world a lot of your own biases bleed I to it, is my guess.

So what you’re saying is, when my hard-SF trilogy, “The Adventures of a Bookish Nerd Who Saves The Universe” finally gets published, people will assume that because it features several scenes of the hero getting deep-tissue massages from genetically-enhanced Aubrey Plaza clones, that that’s the world I want to live in? Because it totally isn’t! I’m just really good at extrapolating from current social and technology trends.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
The part with the anime tulpa wife was bad but the droplet and the nanowire and the dimensional fold stuff was great. Basically all the cool set pieces. What I am saying is it would make a good Halo game. Less of a Netflix show like I think they are doing. Make the game, Cixin Liu. (I haven't read the third book)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Chicken Butt posted:

So what you’re saying is, when my hard-SF trilogy, “The Adventures of a Bookish Nerd Who Saves The Universe” finally gets published, people will assume that because it features several scenes of the hero getting deep-tissue massages from genetically-enhanced Aubrey Plaza clones, that that’s the world I want to live in? Because it totally isn’t! I’m just really good at extrapolating from current social and technology trends.

please don’t post like this

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
There is a great adaptation of the series done entirely in Minecraft, although later season switch to original Minecraft-style animation.

Season 1
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCzzDQIop9Ax4AUETSFQNQEb3LObUOCg7

Season 2
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJ1-YFDG-WNqa3YQBK1m3PGzqok6m2LZV

Season 3
https://www.youtube.com/@hiroyamashoto235

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Wilkins Micawber posted:

The part with the anime tulpa wife was bad but the droplet and the nanowire and the dimensional fold stuff was great. Basically all the cool set pieces. What I am saying is it would make a good Halo game. Less of a Netflix show like I think they are doing. Make the game, Cixin Liu. (I haven't read the third book)

The Netflix show is finished. Third book is really good

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Hoooo boy, op, where should I even start? First of all, they are very autistic books. The characters are bland and lifeless and most of the books is just exposition. The waifu poo poo was bizarre and would not fly coming from a western author and every protagonist in the three books is the same underachieving loner incel character just with a different name. Overall, I liked the books.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

seeing now people get weird about it being a chinese author huh

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

GABA ghoul posted:

Hoooo boy, op, where should I even start? First of all, they are very autistic books. The characters are bland and lifeless and most of the books is just exposition. The waifu poo poo was bizarre and would not fly coming from a western author and every protagonist in the three books is the same underachieving loner incel character just with a different name. Overall, I liked the books.

agreed. I don't think you really miss out on anything if you just read the wikipedia summary

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Famethrowa posted:

seeing now people get weird about it being a chinese author huh

Hooo boy, a racism accusation. Western sci-fi is of course full of sexism and misogynism, but I don't think you can pull off a mega bestseller with such weird women issues nowadays anymore. The market has become too sensitive to this poo poo. I mean, the incel hero protagonist has this submissive fantasy anime wife that has no soul or inner life of her own and exists only to adore and compliment him and then the government hires a woman to play that anime waifu in real life to motivate him to work because only the incel loser can save the planet from destruction. And all of it is played absolutely 100% straight as a romantic love story, without any hint of self-awareness, irony or criticism. The woman lacks an inner life and is just extremely happy to serve and to save humanity by being an anime waifu. She of course falls in love with him and they have children.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

GABA ghoul posted:

Hooo boy, a racism accusation. Western sci-fi is of course full of sexism and misogynism, but I don't think you can pull off a mega bestseller with such weird women issues nowadays anymore. The market has become too sensitive to this poo poo. I mean, the incel hero protagonist has this submissive fantasy anime wife that has no soul or inner life of her own and exists only to adore and compliment him and then the government hires a woman to play that anime waifu in real life to motivate him to work because only the incel loser can save the planet from destruction. And all of it is played absolutely 100% straight as a romantic love story, without any hint of self-awareness, irony or criticism. The woman lacks an inner life and is just extremely happy to serve and to save humanity by being an anime waifu. She of course falls in love with him and they have children.

so you didn't read the books then because you don't know what happened after that, do you

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

those curious easterners really have a weird relationship with women, compared to us, the noble west who simply do not tolerate it.

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
The first book gets so dumb so fast around 60% of the way through.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Black August posted:

so you didn't read the books then because you don't know what happened after that, do you

I can't read

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sheriff Jake
May 8, 2006
There was a conversation I believe at the beginning of the third book that was about our understanding of elementary particles and how we are close to full understanding of the “basement” of the universe and how these elementary particles cannot be broken down further and how this would infer the the idea of a “ceiling” somewhere in the universe. That one got me.

Dark forest theory reveal was great.

Loved these books.