Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Have you heard the news? The fine folk over at Wizards of the Coast have leveled up their wizbiz and earned themselves a new spell, SUMMON PINKERTONS.

It may be true that collectible consumerism is a curse and anyone who takes that on willingly deserves everything they get—but, does anyone really deserve the pinkertons?

Just goes to show that everyone is right when they say, “Never trust a wizard.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Dick Fountain is a pretty good user name.

Henry Lee Mucus
Dec 11, 2003

It’d be fun to travel back in time and tell the old timey Pinkertons about this and watch them become so confused they blow their brains out

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

https://www.somethingawful.com/news/wizard-neighborhood-association/1/

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

No matter what company, no matter what product they sell, no matter their target demographic, there will always be some coked out c-level dipshit in their ranks just waiting for the day they can use corporate funds to hire thugs to shake people down.

For them it's like, the reason they get up in the morning. For some it may never happen, they may never get the chance to pull that trigger. But still they go in and do the job, every day, because stories like these about just one of them getting to do it is what keeps them going for years.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADdpLv3RDhA

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020
yea this is what happens when you comtemplate your orb too much

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

No Wizards Allowed

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Wizard Bastard

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Wizard Bastard

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
It would be hilarious if someone hired a bounty hunter/ hitman to track down a stolen black lotus.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Wizard Bastard

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Shadow Wizard Money Gang (we love casting spells)

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Jillian poo poo posted:

It’d be fun to travel back in time and tell the old timey Pinkertons about this and watch them become so confused they blow their brains out

It would be more fun to go back in time and do it for them

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I've gotten annoyed at people playing Mana Leak on my cards before but I've never called the cops on them.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Wizards of the Coast are physically unable to resist stomping on their own balls, PR-wise

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
what mana color do pinkertons use?

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?

Colonel Cancer posted:

what mana color do pinkertons use?

phyrexian

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Wizards of the Cost am i rite

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?
It sounds like pinkerton's just knocked and said "give us the boxes" and he just gave them the boxes

If someone was knocking on my door looking like buisness and not showing a badge or saying WE ARE THE POLICE, I think I would just say YOU SHOULD LEAVE, PRIVATE PROPERTY. They're not going to loving break the door, dude.

It does sound like probably ultimately WoTC might be able to legally reclaim the boxes, but, don't loving open your door for fake cops it's even dumber than opening your door for real cops.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

$hadow Wizard Money Gang (we love ca$ting $pell$)

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
IDK the details, but a lot of nerds seem to be pretty mad at Wizards of the Coast for a while now. And it's starting to look like it's legitimate 'bad business practices and weird legal posturing' troubles, and not (just) the usual 'THEY'VE GONE WOKE! THEY MADE THE ELVES WOKE!' nonsense.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

this is why whatever the hell FASA is now constantly selling their companies then repurchasing their IP is a good thing overall, at least nothing stagnates to WotC-levels

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Do they still sell cards or is it all nfts now

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
gang tag idea: Wizards of the Post

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

IDK the details, but a lot of nerds seem to be pretty mad at Wizards of the Coast for a while now. And it's starting to look like it's legitimate 'bad business practices and weird legal posturing' troubles, and not (just) the usual 'THEY'VE GONE WOKE! THEY MADE THE ELVES WOKE!' nonsense.

They pissed in the cheerios of the d&d world, got called out on it, tried to back out and save face but the damage was already done.

The d&d movie was fun, but they can't even celebrate that since they hired literal Pinkertons in 2023 to salvage a separate fuckup.

Just a dumb loving company.

Shinjobi fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Apr 25, 2023

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
It Stinkserton

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

WotC wanted to change their open gaming license to completely gently caress any company producing d&d products as well as d&d content creators. The people who had been keeping the game popular for decades. It was done under the guise of “protecting the community”.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

My little brothers friends are all around 25 and wanted to start a DnD podcast because they're young and dumb. The new policy was so bad they all PM'd me asking me to teach them all the dumb old weird games I know because at least they'll own whatever they produce in the unlikely event of their success lol

I don't really give a poo poo about WotC but I finally have a captive audience for my Twilight 2000 games so I'm quite pleased

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Belt Onion

Artifact
You may delay ending your turn indefinitely as long as you spend the entire time talking about a pointless story.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Wizards are really good at stepping on every possible rake they can find, and lmao at hiring Pinkertons.

Like, normally if you're a company and a "professional" ruins an embargo or leaks stuff you just blacklist the poo poo out of them. An individual? Sue em I guess, it's happened before and lol at the value of the set dropping like a brick because of this leak.

But now I'm wondering how they got to "hire the private detective/collection agency/bouncers/hired goons"? Like, even for the idiocy that is The Coast Wizzes they surely would have sent emails and stuff? Leaks happen a bunch, and they either make content orders or shoot an email going "hey don't" and people pretty much just remove it. And the leaks apparently happened over a period of time, so I don't see why they wouldn't be sending "OMG ME AM MAD I WILL CAST A HEX" emails and poo poo. And from the story told they rocked up and he gave them the stuff so was he like, expecting it already because it was already discussed?

Don't get me wrong, it's loving dumb and bad PR, and also it's just cardboard so who gives a gently caress, but it also sounds like there was no altercation, the Coasters just got their lawyers to get whatever agency they got recommended to grab them and that was it?

Altho that has me thinking, if you area big business, someone has your product they shouldn't somehow, you chat and they go "yeah, pick em up, I don't wanna deal with this" who do you actually get to grab them? No way in hell you'd trust UPS or something, and sending actual employees seems like a bad idea, so I guess would you use a debt collection agency or what?

I have never had pieces of cardboard stolen from me so I don't know how it works.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
So...how many times has WotC hired Professional Thugs and what will be the next one. Because either the CEO or C level someone did this and they have done it before and will do it again.

All of this for a guy with 4K subs on youtube that I can only presume has come out of this with a lot more people
seeing the cards now.

Well done WotC. You played yourself. AGAIN.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
"We Never Sleep"

No wonder they're so grumpy

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

SUMMON...

W I Z A R D

M
A
S
T
E
R

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

Jillian poo poo posted:

why do you think they'd blow THEIR brains out? dont let this guy get a time machine please

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
mtg feels like it's gonna be a lot of fun when you're shuffling the cards around and reading the neat flavor text and looking at the cool art

then you actually try to play it and :lol:

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
also i would have racked my shotgun at that pinkerton. castle law, bitch

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Nintendo is setting up a contract with Blackwater to raid the houses of gamers who don't delete their ROMs after 24 hours.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
americans are so loving bitchmade. did this nerd not have a gun he could have pointed at that pig's face

if ever there's a time to sate your american bloodlust it's when a corpo sends a loving rent-a-cop to your door over some goddamn trading cards, holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Mystery of the wizard