Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Cabbages and Kings posted:

It sounds like pinkerton's just knocked and said "give us the boxes" and he just gave them the boxes

“[The Pinkerton agents] cited several statutes about copyright infringement and some other things threatening 1-10 years in jail and up to $200,000 in fines if I failed to cooperate,” Dan Cannon told Kotaku over an email. “They also said if I didn’t hand over the product, they would call the county sheriff and detain us until they arrived to arrest us and search my house for the product and that they would most likely force us to show receipts for every magic card in the house (which is literally over a million cards).”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
If you are out of the loop and want to see the current pathetic cash grab state of MTG, this was a real card you could buy

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Magic the gathering is boring as gently caress and the most interesting part about it is the speculators market

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Dick Fontaine posted:

“[The Pinkerton agents] cited several statutes about copyright infringement and some other things threatening 1-10 years in jail and up to $200,000 in fines if I failed to cooperate,” Dan Cannon told Kotaku over an email. “They also said if I didn’t hand over the product, they would call the county sheriff and detain us until they arrived to arrest us and search my house for the product and that they would most likely force us to show receipts for every magic card in the house (which is literally over a million cards).”

hmm yes very interesting *KA-KLACK* you can go now

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Wizard Bastard

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Cabbages and Kings posted:

It sounds like pinkerton's just knocked and said "give us the boxes" and he just gave them the boxes

If someone was knocking on my door looking like buisness and not showing a badge or saying WE ARE THE POLICE, I think I would just say YOU SHOULD LEAVE, PRIVATE PROPERTY. They're not going to loving break the door, dude.

It does sound like probably ultimately WoTC might be able to legally reclaim the boxes, but, don't loving open your door for fake cops it's even dumber than opening your door for real cops.

and if they're really stupid and try to bust the door down then it's killcount +1 baby :911:

i'm so loving mad that this guy didn't pull out his piece and tell the rent-a-pig to piss off. just encouraging corpos to do it again.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

syntaxfunction posted:

Altho that has me thinking, if you area big business, someone has your product they shouldn't somehow, you chat and they go "yeah, pick em up, I don't wanna deal with this" who do you actually get to grab them? No way in hell you'd trust UPS or something, and sending actual employees seems like a bad idea, so I guess would you use a debt collection agency or what?

I have never had pieces of cardboard stolen from me so I don't know how it works.

Tbh that's what I most wanna know out of this whole situation.

Or like, the legality of possessing pre-release stuff. Does it count as stolen since per the distributor's contract it wasn't supposed to be sold?
Either way I imagine it ends in the corp's favor because 'we will sue you for fifty mil' will get just about anyone to cave, but I'd like to know if there's any actual like legally binding component to it vs nebulous talk of damages done and impact on future income and etc.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

ishikabibble posted:

Tbh that's what I most wanna know out of this whole situation.

Or like, the legality of possessing pre-release stuff. Does it count as stolen since per the distributor's contract it wasn't supposed to be sold?
Either way I imagine it ends in the corp's favor because 'we will sue you for fifty mil' will get just about anyone to cave, but I'd like to know if there's any actual like legally binding component to it vs nebulous talk of damages done and impact on future income and etc.

it probs ends in the corp's favor eventually because lol murka

it also (unless you're a spineless nerd like this chump) does not end in the rental pig's favor because lol murka

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

You have the patriotic right to shoot that fucker dead without warning.

E: I am informed you don't actually have that right because they're "not poor enough"

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Strategic Tea posted:

You have the patriotic right to shoot that fucker dead without warning.

E: I am informed you don't actually have that right because they're "not poor enough"

I took a CPL course where I learned that you are indeed expected to give warning. Having a security bar on your door is also good. If they break in after that then it's p much open season

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
Surely nerds, stalwarts of justice, renowned for banding together in the face of wizard-adjacent tyranny in 2023 will boycott the...lol sorry

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

mizard waster

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Wilkins Micawber posted:

Surely nerds, stalwarts of justice, renowned for banding together in the face of wizard-adjacent tyranny in 2023 will boycott the...lol sorry

lol most magic dweebs are too busy spending $100 a month on cards and listening to steam powered giraffe to worry about boycotting the people who refill their hamster bottles

... i miss friday night magic

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

It’s easy to talk about keeping the product and sticking it to the multi billion dollar corporation, who is owned in large part by some very ruthless investment firms, but in reality they could gently caress up your life really badly and bankrupt you in legal fees trying to defend yourself.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Sophy Wackles posted:

It’s easy to talk about keeping the product and sticking it to the multi billion dollar corporation, who is owned in large part by some very ruthless investment firms, but in reality they could gently caress up your life really badly and bankrupt you in legal fees trying to defend yourself.

literally all they'd have to do is send a paid fedex box or label or whatever to my house and politely ask me to send it back to them and i would

sending a loving mercenary oinker to my house to try and intimidate me is a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea (for them)

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
Apparently, Critical Role, nerd royalty and DnD's biggest hype machine in the last decade, just announced that they are going to make a competing product, instead. As in, just announced it, a few days ago. I guess it's over that gaming license dust-up people mentioned already.

Not a direct connection to the Magic cards side of thing, but, lol, great time to get your fan base all steamed up, Wizards.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

Not a direct connection to the Magic cards side of thing, but, lol, great time to get your fan base all steamed up, Wizards.

From what I understand, the reason Wizards is doing stuff like this is because it's owned by Hasbro, and Hasbro is losing lots of money, which means that shareholders are demanding that CEO Chris Cocks make number stand up, or Cocks will be made flaccid. Wizards of the Coast is pretty much the only brand of theirs that makes money reliably, and so the order has come down that it's "under monetized" and they need to "fix" this.

im_sorry fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Apr 26, 2023

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

im_sorry posted:

From what I understand, the reason Wizards is doing stuff like this is because it's owned by Hasbro, and Hasbro is losing lots of money, which means that shareholders are demanding that CEO Chris Cocks make number stand up, or Cocks will be made flaccid. Wizards of the Coast is pretty much the only brand of theirs that makes money reliably, and so the order has come down that it's "under monetized" and they need to "fix" this.

It's great to see them shooting the golden goose over and over. "This is the only brand making money, let's gently caress with it!"

For those that haven't been following, Paizo makes Pathfinder, basically another version of D&D. A little more complicated, some say better and more balanced. It is a small adjustment to switch from D&D to Pathfinder, but inertia keeps most people with whichever one they try first. The last time WotC hosed up with their awful new game license a bunch of people canceled their D&D Beyond subscriptions, and Paizo sold an 8 month supply of books in 2 weeks. The core rulebook is sold out everywhere on earth.

So Paizo is out of books and WotC rolled back the new license, fell on their swords and switched to a CC license for the core rules to stop the bleeding and regain the trust of the community. A couple months later they send the motherfucking Pinkertons after a fan. LOL. LMAO. Hasbro is gonna kill WotC.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Facebook Aunt posted:

It's great to see them shooting the golden goose over and over. "This is the only brand making money, let's gently caress with it!"

For those that haven't been following, Paizo makes Pathfinder, basically another version of D&D. A little more complicated, some say better and more balanced. It is a small adjustment to switch from D&D to Pathfinder, but inertia keeps most people with whichever one they try first. The last time WotC hosed up with their awful new game license a bunch of people canceled their D&D Beyond subscriptions, and Paizo sold an 8 month supply of books in 2 weeks. The core rulebook is sold out everywhere on earth.

So Paizo is out of books and WotC rolled back the new license, fell on their swords and switched to a CC license for the core rules to stop the bleeding and regain the trust of the community. A couple months later they send the motherfucking Pinkertons after a fan. LOL. LMAO. Hasbro is gonna kill WotC.

:yeah:

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
Question is how many YouTube subs did he gain. Pinkerton can’t take them away.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

Extra Large Marge posted:

Nintendo is setting up a contract with Blackwater to raid the houses of gamers who don't delete their ROMs after 24 hours.

Someone else should link an article or w/e, but Nintendo does have a PI stalking some leaker rn (or did recently), I think?

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Quotey posted:

Question is how many YouTube subs did he gain. Pinkerton can’t take them away.

hopefully none. "waaaah i let a corpo thug with zero right to be there bully me in my own home and i pooped myself"

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

olives black posted:

it probs ends in the corp's favor eventually because lol murka

it also (unless you're a spineless nerd like this chump) does not end in the rental pig's favor because lol murka

Please stop fantasizing killing another human being to protect your magic the gathering cards.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

lonelylikezoidberg posted:

Please stop fantasizing killing another human being to protect your magic the gathering cards.

mtg sucks, gave away the handful of cards that i had years ago

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

lonelylikezoidberg posted:

also pinkertons aren't human beings

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
i cast fireball.

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
wow @ the pinkertons still existing, i had no idea

anyway i found a tidal kraken in my drawer that i don't need anymore if anyone wants it. it has a crease in it but it's unblockable

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Consider the much more insane option of Wizardos sending someone to pick up the cards, they get shot, and then we get headlines about "magic player murders Employee because they touched the cards the player stole".

Or it becomes a siege situation. Seven days, four dead, thousands of rounds of ammunition. Sadly the bullets have reduced the general value of his collection.

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast

olives black posted:

they've got to us, scatter

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

:lol: at adults collecting and playing with stupid cards made for kiddies.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

BigBadSteve posted:

:lol: at adults collecting and playing with stupid cards made for kiddies.

Please don't encourage children to spend their money on Magic cards.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Konar posted:

If you are out of the loop and want to see the current pathetic cash grab state of MTG, this was a real card you could buy

thats cool as hell actually

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

olives black posted:

Being a human being is the worst being you can be. Hth

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
I would have done exactly what olives black would have done in this situation, but instead of resorting to firearms I would have neutralized the Pinkertons using my elite tae kwon do do skills

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

thats cool as hell actually
the alt art is cooler, but unfortunately is from shattered glass, which is fail

anyways hasbro delenda est

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Facebook Aunt posted:

Pathfinder was created because WotC required anyone doing 4e content to stop supporting 3e. Paizo (who did the official tie-in Dungeon and Dragon magazines for WotC) would have had to drop their full existing product line if they moved to 4e (which eas financial suicide), so they created their own 3e compatible spinoff instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Captain Invictus posted:

the alt art is cooler, but unfortunately is from shattered glass, which is fail

anyways hasbro delenda est

sick