Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?

Dick Fontaine posted:

“[The Pinkerton agents] cited several statutes about copyright infringement and some other things threatening 1-10 years in jail and up to $200,000 in fines if I failed to cooperate,” Dan Cannon told Kotaku over an email. “They also said if I didn’t hand over the product, they would call the county sheriff and detain us until they arrived to arrest us and search my house for the product and that they would most likely force us to show receipts for every magic card in the house (which is literally over a million cards).”

If someone said that I would definitely tell them to get hosed, then lock all the doors after leaving the premises, and take any effort at preventing me from doing so as an attempt at kidnapping or murder. If the literal cops had shown up in the first place with a warrent, sure, I would absolutely just turn all the cards over instantly. The fact this didn't happen means WoTC didn't think they had the legal authority to make this happen. If the literal cops showed up without a warrant I'd be more skeptical, but generally much more polite than I would be to a couple of (trespassing!). Pinkerton goons.

This isn't about being a hardass or a tough guy, it's about not getting absolutely steamrolled for no good reason by corporate punks. WoTC prolly knew they would have a hard long time legally getting the cards back but also that oldschoolmtg didn't seem like someone who would jeopardize his brand or cards over this, so they fuckin punked him, because they suck and when they gently caress up their own inventory apparently they hire stormtroopers now.

olives black posted:

i'm so loving mad that this guy didn't pull out his piece and tell the rent-a-pig to piss off. just encouraging corpos to do it again.

ffs lol no wtf is wrong with you the solution to a dumbly violent nation isn't "start shooting at anyone the second you think you might have a legal justification", that thinking is the bullshit that got us to the current state. Well, that plus years of lobbying etc.

Extra Large Marge posted:

I would have done exactly what olives black would have done in this situation, but instead of resorting to firearms I would have neutralized the Pinkertons using my elite tae kwon do do skills

should have just cast a Teferi's Protection and been gone before the next upkeep, IMO

Cabbages and Kings fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i would have simply challenged the pinkertons to a shadow game

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Call scheherazade up, make them take the cards twice if they can!!

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PStUUIHT1Rw

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I would simply not own any MTG cards to begin with. Root cause solutions.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Outrail posted:

I would simply not own any MTG cards to begin with. Root cause solutions.

Both of these seem like pretty good ideas.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I would have made like I was giving them the boxes and then “accidentally” tripped and all the cards would go everywhere and the pinkertons would have to pick them all up

BigBeefCity
Oct 26, 2022

~*Special Delivery*~
~*For Anime Fans*~

OVERSIZE
PACKAGE
Lizard
B
A
S
T
A
R
D

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I would have made like I was giving them the boxes and then “accidentally” tripped and all the cards would go everywhere and the pinkertons would have to pick them all up

Okay okay hold on I'll box them up

*Hands over a case random trash cards*

How likely is it the Pinkerton goons would know which cards they're looking for?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Their head bounty hunter was the top MTG player for half a decade. Beavis the Eviscerator they called him...

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I bring you gifts from the distant and exotic TG thread.

https://twitter.com/funtasticFunman/status/1651409619728646144

Lamuella posted:

Bundle of Holding are doing a "pinkerton free" bundle. https://bundleofholding.com/presents/Solidarity

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Facebook Aunt posted:

I bring you gifts from the distant and exotic TG thread.

:hmmyes:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Excuse me! Dear OP,
As an actual wizard, I must speak up for my community of fellow magicians and categorically state that we are NOT… well, most maybe, but… uh actually never mind, carry on.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

lmao at all the people acting as though they would stand up to pinkerton agents over some cards that accidentally got sent to you and not just immediately folding. Truly this is something worth fighting for.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
We don't take kindly to pinkertons.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

*smashes together jumper cable clamps to create sparks*

TELL ME WHERE THE MAGIC CARDS ARE OR THESE GO ON YOUR BALLS JARED!!!

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Nelson Mandingo posted:

*smashes together jumper cable clamps to create sparks*

TELL ME WHERE THE MAGIC CARDS ARE OR THESE GO ON YOUR BALLS JARED!!!

Zapthrozia, the Ball Destroyer

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

my dogs name is merlin

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

lmao at all the people acting as though they would stand up to pinkerton agents over some cards that accidentally got sent to you and not just immediately folding. Truly this is something worth fighting for.

Man I would just growl and just, y know, hulk out, beast mode, all out, these guys are dead meat. Messed up their initiative and I’m going straight to combat, gently caress turn order. Cascade of pain, I’m going Banned and Restricted uknow ? Best not mess with the Comf, keyword Rampage

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Dirty Devs: Wizards of the Coast use PINKERTON to intimidate Youtuber over Magic The Gathering https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDMFV75nURs

Covers what happens up to now.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Dick Fontaine posted:

Have you heard the news? The fine folk over at Wizards of the Coast have leveled up their wizbiz and earned themselves a new spell, SUMMON PINKERTONS.

It may be true that collectible consumerism is a curse and anyone who takes that on willingly deserves everything they get—but, does anyone really deserve the pinkertons?

Just goes to show that everyone is right when they say, “Never trust a wizard.”

MTG is something I love to do and a new set just came out...I mean they are money grubbing bastages so a new set is always coming out...gently caress I guess its time to delete the arena launcher again.

Hey any commander players?

This is Prof! and Vince aka Pleasnat Kenobi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqmnwycnBhA

ManBoyChef fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Apr 28, 2023

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

olives black posted:

also pinkertons aren't human beings

Objectively true

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

IShallRiseAgain posted:

U know ur allowed to just not open the door yea?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

IShallRiseAgain posted:

"Nothing personal, you pig" I growl as I decide whether to reach for the full size model Frostmourne or a batleth, my body fatly shaking with adrenaline, a fistful of cards still held in iron grip.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Colonel Cancer posted:

"Nothing personal, you pig" I growl as I decide whether to reach for the full size model Frostmourne or a batleth, my body fatly shaking with adrenaline, a fistful of cards still held in iron grip.

I know what both those are... :sigh:

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Outrail posted:

Okay okay hold on I'll box them up

*Hands over a case random trash cards*

How likely is it the Pinkerton goons would know which cards they're looking for?

they probably had a printout of the cards they needed to collect

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Smugworth posted:

I know what both those are... :sigh:

It is a good day to succeed your father.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

It is a good day to succeed your father.

Father... I am die

Vakal
May 11, 2008
So I'll be the one to ask, what is the machine marching for anyway?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

The gathering of magic duh

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Colonel Cancer posted:

The gathering of magic duh

Is that like the gathering of the Juggalos?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Vakal posted:

Is that like the gathering of the Juggalos?

Closer than you might think

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

A wizard stole my innocence :(

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Ever since The Realm of Magic banned abortions, I've found it for more profitable (and ethical!) to provide back ally abortions "Wizard Style".

Cast Locate Object to find the fetus, but you need to have either seen it before or something really similar, but they all look the same, so be sure to keep one on hand.

Once located, cast Teleport Object and magic that sucker right out and into the poor waifs arms. No muss, no fuss, no pain. The female beings of all species' in the realm love this new method.

I'm making fistfuls of gold, but more importantly, I'm making a difference.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

The Butcher posted:

Ever since The Realm of Magic banned abortions, I've found it for more profitable (and ethical!) to provide back ally abortions "Wizard Style".

Cast Locate Object to find the fetus, but you need to have either seen it before or something really similar, but they all look the same, so be sure to keep one on hand.

Once located, cast Teleport Object and magic that sucker right out and into the poor waifs arms. No muss, no fuss, no pain. The female beings of all species' in the realm love this new method.

I'm making fistfuls of gold, but more importantly, I'm making a difference.

Suspicious post/username combo.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

A wizard beat my rear end until I farted so he could farm fumes for Cloudkill

naem
May 29, 2011

is this the new evil wizard thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015