Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Reviews are out too! The game is averaging a 90%!

Jedi Survivor is the sequel to Jedi the Fallen Order. It's a metroidvania-like action adventure game, with some very light Souls-like gameplay mechanics. The protag, Cal, gains new Jedi abilities throughout the game and this lets him solve puzzles and open up new area's of the different planets you get to visit. Fallen Order was a really good game in my opinion! But I know opinions on it were really divided. Combat felt floaty, and there was a lot of jank. Respawn Entertainment made both games, but they also released Apex Legends at the same time as Fallen Order, so it was obvious where their resources were going to go after both games launched, but Fallen Order really needed a couple more patches for optimization and bug fixes.

Jedi Survivor is five years after the first game, and roughly 10 - 12 years after the Jedi purge, and both games are canon to the Star Wars universe. Cal in the first game overcame a ton of PTSD and trauma, killed a few of Darth Vaders sith inquisitors, and is doing his own thing to put a stop to the Galactic Empire. So this all takes place during a whole bunch of other events in the universe; Obi-Wan and Yoda are still in hiding, Luke Skywalker is a child on Tattooine and isn't aware yet of his lineage and force powers, the Rebel Alliance and galaxy wide civil war is in full swing, Darth Vader is still hunting down Jedi, and its about another 10 years until the Battle of Yavin.

The story is made with the approval and direction of Lucas Arts, and is covering what in my opinion is the most exciting story timeline that Star Wars has ever seen. Other than a massive miss with the Obi-Wan show, exploring the Jedi purge and rise of the Galactic Empire and all of the characters that helped make that happen, or tried to stop it, has been really interesting and cool. It's been some of the heaviest story beats Star Wars as had, and is a more mature take on the galaxy, and tries to avoid morally black and white characters. Empire sympathetic characters have their own goals, and not every hero is in the rebel alliance, and many of them are assassins, and terrorists, or politicians that are doing really unethical and terrible things in order to justify fighting the empire. Not all of this is taking place in these two games! But it's all story spread out over multiple TV shows and movies, and then afterwards you can go out and buy merchandise!

Jedi Survivor is releasing April 27 (tomorrow!) for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, and PC (Steam, and Origin). The game is $70, those executives gotta make more profit than the previous year somehow! But also it's on EA's premium service day 1 for $15 a month.

Other than seeing that Cal gets new force abilities, and his companion, BD-1 gets new abilities as well, along with a farming mini-game, I actually know very little about Jedi Survivor and how it's going to improve upon the story and gameplay. Like, do you start the game with all of Cal's previous Jedi abilities and then learn new ones? Or does something happen in the story where Cal starts over from scratch? In the previous game he disconnects himself from the force and forgets everything he knew because he was traumatized as gently caress from watching his master be brutally murdered (he was just a child), and then an entire galaxy suddenly wanting to hunt him down and kill him, or torture him into becoming a sith lord.

Recommended PC Specs:
Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
Processor: 4 core / 8 threads | Intel Core i5 11600K | Ryzen 5 5600X
Memory: 16 GB RAM
Graphics: 8GB VRAM | RTX2070 | RX 6700 XT
DirectX: Version 12
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Storage: 155 GB available space
Additional Notes: Internet required for non-optional patching, no online play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I'm here for the beard

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Here for the ponchos

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

George H.W. oval office posted:

I'm here for the beard

Cal can have a mullet!

Asteroid Alert posted:

Here for the ponchos

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Video Games > Star Wars Jedi Survivor: Uncompressed audio in over 6 million forms of communication

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

As before if anyone wants to know anything specific about this ask away.

Short summary from the PS5 ver: game is good but performance sucks, maybe wait a few weeks for patches that address glitches, jank and juddery frame-rate.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ninjahedgehog posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Video Games > Star Wars Jedi Survivor: Uncompressed audio in over 6 million forms of communication

MODS PLEASE CHANGE TO THIS

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Necrothatcher posted:

As before if anyone wants to know anything specific about this ask away.

Short summary from the PS5 ver: game is good but performance sucks, maybe wait a few weeks for patches that address glitches, jank and juddery frame-rate.

There is supposedly a performance patch tomorrow! I hope that is true. Sad to hear about the PS5 version, that is why I went with that version because I was expecting performance to be good. The PC version is apparently really bad. Also the audio desync issues are back from the previous game, but that is suppose to be fixed tomorrow too.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

looking forward to this. Enjoyed the last game well enough and it seems like the gameplay has received a nice update

hope they can get the performance issues ironed out by launch tho

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I said come in! posted:

There is supposedly a performance patch tomorrow! I hope that is true. Sad to hear about the PS5 version, that is why I went with that version because I was expecting performance to be good. The PC version is apparently really bad. Also the audio desync issues are back from the previous game, but that is suppose to be fixed tomorrow too.

There was a Day 0 patch yesterday that doesn't seem to have affected performance much. Given just how bad this runs sometimes (Performance mode straight out admits it only "targets" 60) I think it's going to be a while before this game is what it should be.

And that's a shame because it's really fun and it turning into a weird-looking slideshow at times really tarnishes things.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Necrothatcher posted:

There was a Day 0 patch yesterday that doesn't seem to have affected performance much. Given just how bad this runs sometimes (Performance mode straight out admits it only "targets" 60) I think it's going to be a while before this game is what it should be.

And that's a shame because it's really fun and it turning into a weird-looking slideshow at times really tarnishes things.

At least I know to temper my expectations :( that is very confusing about the performance problems in my opinion. The whole point of these new consoles is that they are suppose to be able to hit a smooth 60fps with a performance mode option. But my other alternative is the PC version, which my PC cannot play this. I have a new PC coming soon though!

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Also Cal's hair kept doing this:

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
From PCGamer's review:

:swoon: Ginger Jedi Jesus

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The dynamic res also gets stupidly low on PS5 - this is about the worst the game looked:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Necrothatcher posted:

Also Cal's hair kept doing this:

ooh poo poo, Cal turned into a early 2000s alt-rock band.

AmmoniumAcetate
Sep 23, 2003
Don't mess with Earth

Asteroid Alert posted:

Here for the ponchos

Potentially bad news for you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjoZTyrdrNQ

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

150gb? gently caress that

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

But that's how you know it's audio content rich

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Wasn’t this delayed too? Lol come on did it REALLY need to be released right before May 4th?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Something to remember about any significant technical issues is that the majority of the game was made under the tyranny of Covid for 2 years. I don't know about anyone else but that made my job a hell of a lot trickier than it already was. Honestly I'm surprised anything got done.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Something to remember about any significant technical issues is that the majority of the game was made under the tyranny of Covid for 2 years. I don't know about anyone else but that made my job a hell of a lot trickier than it already was. Honestly I'm surprised anything got done.

Fair point! But also Fallen Order had these issues too, and that launched as an Xbox One/PS4 game. I played it on Series X, and it still had a lot of performance issues. I was really hoping Respawn would be able to fix that stuff this time, but many of the same problems have returned it looks like. I'm hopeful after hearing that a few updates are already in the pipeline to improve the technical problems, but this is really disappointing to read about on the eve of the games launch.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Mullets and ponchos, what more does Star Wars need

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Vinylshadow posted:

Mullets and ponchos, what more does Star Wars need

handlebar mustaches

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Stairmaster posted:

150gb? gently caress that

jesus, how many new poncho options did they add?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Is this the first big UE5 game or am I missing something else?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

ninjahedgehog posted:

Why you stuck up, half-witted, scruffy-looking, nerf herder! Give me credit for this, you slut! :blastu:

Mordja posted:

Is this the first big UE5 game or am I missing something else?

UE 4 which is disappointing but I'm sure it still looks great.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Huh. For some reason I was convinced it was the new engine.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mordja posted:

Huh. For some reason I was convinced it was the new engine.

A lot of game studios are slowly transitioning to UE5, they are putting some features of UE5 into UE4. We won't see full on UE5 games until like next year, maybe late this year.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

I said come in! posted:

A lot of game studios are slowly transitioning to UE5, they are putting some features of UE5 into UE4. We won't see full on UE5 games until like next year, maybe late this year.

The Day Before claims to be is UE5 :laugh:

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Why you stuck up, half-witted, scruffy-looking, nerf herder! Give me credit for this, you slut! :blastu:

lmao poo poo was that in the old thread? Classic case of seeing something, forgetting I saw it, and then thinking I made it up later

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

ninjahedgehog posted:

lmao poo poo was that in the old thread? Classic case of seeing something, forgetting I saw it, and then thinking I made it up later

This reminds me, Return of the Jedi is in theaters for a 40th anniversary thing. Starts this weekend.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jose Oquendo posted:

The Day Before claims to be is UE5 :laugh:

ooh yeah the day before is a straight up scam lol. its not coming out ever. I remember seeing evidence on Youtube to suggest that the gameplay shown was fabricated.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Are the PC performance issues spec related at all, or is it typical modern big release UE4 jank

(the latest patch finally made Returnal run like, flawlessly, as opposed to pretty ok, several months after release)

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I pre-ordered and all this talk of performance issues is making me nervous

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

McCloud posted:

Just try to relax, maybe think about baseball

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

McCloud posted:

What platform are you on son?

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

McCloud posted:

cancel your preorder and just buy it if it's fine

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Dogen posted:

Are the PC performance issues spec related at all, or is it typical modern big release UE4 jank

(the latest patch finally made Returnal run like, flawlessly, as opposed to pretty ok, several months after release)

It sounds like it's jank across the board. Even beefy systems are getting dragged down along with general audio and video issues.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Ah well hopefully I’ll still have fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

WattsvilleBlues posted:

What platform are you on son?

On PC, at least on par with the recommended specs