Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJlOS6ZeIcA
From Graham Yost (Justified) comes an adaptation of Hugh Howey's Silo trilogy (Wool, Shift and Dust) about the remnants of mankind some indeterminate amount of time in the future after a complete environmental collapse has driven them into a large underground shelter. The characters themselves don't know their history because there was a concerted effort in a previous generation to erase the knowledge of what happened. The series focuses on Juliette (Rebecca Ferguson) an engineer from the lower levels of the silo who starts to investigate what exactly is going on in the world outside the structure. It will be a ten episode season with the first two airing May 5th. The show is already filming the second season so Apple seems pretty bullish on it, which makes sense as it has a fairly stacked cast.

Rashida Jones as Allison
David Oyelowo as Holston
Common as Sims
Tim Robbins as Bernard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

Looking forward to this. Read the books years ago, which I enjoyed with the grimy post apocalypse and dread about it. Also remember thinking it would be a good show and I think Ridley Scott was involved at some point in making something out of the material. I do like the actors involved in the show so hopefully it will be good. I wonder how much they will play with the mystery of it all.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

I just finished a re-read of the series in anticipation of the show so I'm looking forward to it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
We're gonna need two threads for this one, one for spoiler free discussion.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It doesn't matter. If there is a book for a show, book readers can't help but post unmarked spoilers in the show thread.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

It doesn't matter. If there is a book for a show, book readers can't help but post unmarked spoilers in the show thread.

Edit: gently caress it, I'll make one tonight.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Apr 28, 2023

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
I haven't read the books, so I don't know the source material.

I've watched the first two episodes. It's Snowpiercer in a bunker and without the class warfare.

I'll continue watching.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

First episode was great. They really did an incredible job capturing the feel of the setting from the books. Interesting choice with how they started right off the bat with the central mystery but I understand why they did so and they did it well. I am hyped for this show.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.
I remember the books getting less enjoyable as they went on, and the clear lack of an editor drove me away from touching self-published stuff for years and years. So, hopefully they do their own thing more so than following the frankly dumb plotting of the latter books.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I know nothing about the books but the pilot was cool.

I was kinda hoping/expecting to see Genghis Clarke or some Grounders peeking in from the outside :v:

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Hold on to your hats. There is quite a few layers of this onion, if they stay mostly true to the books anyways.

Kind of disappointed the stairs are not metal, but I think it actually looks a lot better than I pictured the silo in my head.

Been hoping this show would actually get made for years.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

They really captured the feel of the silo from the books. I hope this gets the recognition it deserves, assuming it stays as good as the first two episodes. Really seems like a show that if it was on HBO would be an immediate hit but Apple TV just doesn't have the cultural cachet that HBO does. I've been surprised at the quality they have put out though. Amazon should take notes.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

terrible, humourless dialogue is a sin

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Really enjoying the first two episodes. The look and feel is spot on.

Hate forced expository dialogue. It always happens when two characters are walking and someone has to say something stupid just so the other character can say "oh you know [insert thing that they'd never say here b/c they have decades of knowledge of what's going on but we have to have the audience hear it as if it were natural but it never comes off that way.]"

Feel like that happens way too often.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Likewise, very happy with the first two episodes that’s far. It looks, and feels like what I imagined reading the books. Not at all minding the story tweaks this far, as I think, it’s done a good job of setting up the stage and grabbing one’s attention.

IceG
Feb 7, 2006

Bigger than Hitler - Better than Christ

I enjoyed the first episode but couldn't help but be frustrated that noone else thought it strange that there were extra birth control rods that were exactly the same in the wife of the sheriff?
Also, no one thought of using sign language with the cleaners?

Anyway, I am enjoying the snowpiercer underground vibes and haven't read the books, so interested to see where it goes.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

IceG posted:

I enjoyed the first episode but couldn't help but be frustrated that noone else thought it strange that there were extra birth control rods that were exactly the same in the wife of the sheriff?

Huh? Of course they thought it was odd. It was a whole plot point! The sheriff mentioned bringing it up with the doctor but his wife knew exactly how that would go ("lemme guess.. it was there to hold a space... or prevent infection.").
They both knew then that it was all a lie but if everyone is in on it...and you're the sheriff. Who do you go to?

quote:

Also, no one thought of using sign language with the cleaners?

I don't think "is what we're seeing outside real?" was a real concern until now. As mentioned in the episode, they try to only let complacent nonquestionable people "breed." And most people that got sent out were just being punished for capital offenses. They weren't trying to solve a mystery so they didn't even know there was one.

And when they do, Sheriff and his wife, she definitely mentions a "code." ("If I clean the sensor, that means it's green and beautiful... if it's really gray and bleak, I'll just wave goodbye because I made the biggest mistake of my life.")

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Sigh… would have loved to go into this having not read the books, the overal plot is the kind of sci fi I love. Also, while the idea is great, Howley is an ok writer at best and I think the story being told by experienced storytellers will only be better.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm just wondering what's fake and what's real. They haven't actually shown us what the outside even looks like. At first I thought the videos were fake. That it showed a fake video of someone going out and cleaning. Then I thought maybe it really was green but they just pumped poison gas into the helmets to kill anyone within a couple minutes of leaving. But then his pov looked really fake, so now I'm wondering if they somehow fake the helmet view to trick people into cleaning thinking they can make everyone see what they see. Because his wife wasn't even on that hill from his perspective.

Though I guess it could be some sort of sleep gas that knocks people out so it looks like they died. Then add their sleeping body to the fake video of the outside, then just play that until the person wakes up and walks off.

I'm hoping they just tell us what's going on outside soon. The intrigue of who is really running things is much more interesting.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Cojawfee posted:

I'm just wondering what's fake and what's real. They haven't actually shown us what the outside even looks like. At first I thought the videos were fake. That it showed a fake video of someone going out and cleaning. Then I thought maybe it really was green but they just pumped poison gas into the helmets to kill anyone within a couple minutes of leaving. But then his pov looked really fake, so now I'm wondering if they somehow fake the helmet view to trick people into cleaning thinking they can make everyone see what they see. Because his wife wasn't even on that hill from his perspective.

Though I guess it could be some sort of sleep gas that knocks people out so it looks like they died. Then add their sleeping body to the fake video of the outside, then just play that until the person wakes up and walks off.

I'm hoping they just tell us what's going on outside soon. The intrigue of who is really running things is much more interesting.

Both of those will be answered and around the same time, the only question being how far into the book / books the first season will go.

I think one of the things I'm going to enjoy most is reading the posts and reactions from people who haven't read the books.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

BonoMan posted:

And when they do, Sheriff and his wife, she definitely mentions a "code." ("If I clean the sensor, that means it's green and beautiful... if it's really gray and bleak, I'll just wave goodbye because I made the biggest mistake of my life.")
I have not read the books, but this immediately struck me as a terrible "code". She just thought to ask, "why does everyone clean?" as in, it's worth questioning to her. Something's up with it. She even cites a guy who was sent out who swore he'd never do it, but he does it anyway.

She then, very weakly, concludes that they're trying to show the people inside how nice it actually is outside. Which already makes no sense- why would the "gently caress you all, I'm out" guy care? Why would they think it would make a difference when they've all seen people clean, resulting in the lovely outside just being more clear to those inside?

Basically, if there's some action that everyone mysteriously takes... don't make that your code. Say, "I'll give you a thumbs up if it's nice out" or something. Have your code be something where both positive and negative messages are novel actions.

I know what I'm doing here is dangerous- speculating about a show in a thread that is currently probably mostly book readers, but it really struck me as nonsensical.

... actually, wait, while typing all that up something did occur to me.

She watched that cleaning video on the ancient hard drive. It looked very similar to the scene projected onto the Sheriff's helmet the next episode. What if that video brainwashes you to want to go out to clean. It's an utterly bizarre mindset for the Sheriff's Wife to speculate... unless she already felt it because she'd already been brainwashed. It felt very convenient and contrived that she just went crazy and started incoherently ranting when she learned the truth, when she'd been presented as mostly level headed about her curiosity up until that point. So maybe she already had a dose of the cleaners' craziness.

That might also help explain my biggest issue with the premise- complete historical discontinuity in a relatively large human society. The people who lived through the failed revolution must have known, vaguely, what it was about. Even if most of them wanted to forget, and there were authoritarian incentives to encourage everyone to forget... a lot of people would remember! The idea that none of them let slip what it was all about, maybe in their old age decades later, is kind of implausible to me. In the real world history is rewritten by twisting things and quietly removing things from common education, not by having the authorities loudly proclaiming they have no idea what's going on. That's just going to get people asking questions. Questions that should have had accessible answers in human memory for at least half a century after the Rebellion.

Unless we're dealing with a setting that has subtle mind altering videos. Then anything can be real.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 16:33 on May 8, 2023

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The title sequence felt very prestige HBO. And the score.

In the books, i don’t remember Judicial being much of a thing compared to IT.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Cojawfee posted:

This was the part that confused me. Everyone inside saw him crawl to his wife, but the view from inside his helmet was just a grassy hill, no sign of her. Maybe the fake helmet video plays until they clean the camera, then as they start dying from whatever, the reality is shown. Once he started dying, the perspective shifted to show only his face and we don’t see through his visor again. At first I thought they were dying cuz they had no oxygen tanks and were just using up what air was in their suits but then he took off his helmet and that kind of went out the window.

The hints of the revolution also make me want to guess on bigger plot points, but I’m afraid I’ll be right (and get blamed as a secret book reader).

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

latinotwink1997 posted:

This was the part that confused me. Everyone inside saw him crawl to his wife, but the view from inside his helmet was just a grassy hill, no sign of her. Maybe the fake helmet video plays until they clean the camera, then as they start dying from whatever, the reality is shown. Once he started dying, the perspective shifted to show only his face and we don’t see through his visor again. At first I thought they were dying cuz they had no oxygen tanks and were just using up what air was in their suits but then he took off his helmet and that kind of went out the window.

The hints of the revolution also make me want to guess on bigger plot points, but I’m afraid I’ll be right (and get blamed as a secret book reader).
Well, with regards to his wife, he knew generally where she should have been and eventually used the last of his energy to take the helmet off. I assumed that was to actually see where she was.

I think it is most strongly implied to the viewer that it is deadly outside, much like the screens show, and the green and blue world is an illusion for some reason. But it's very suspiciously not confirmed, leading to a lot of possibilities.

I suppose it's most likely that both the green world and the gray world are illusions, since we've been shown both only through certain perspectives, but the reasons for two different illusions seem pretty obscure at this point.

Neat show so far. Fun to speculate about.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Whatever it is, people aren't allowed to see what's really happening. Either because it's actually nice out, and that means people would want to leave the silo and then the secret people wouldn't be in charge anymore. Or it just looks habitable, but it's still poison, and some trees and birds managed to adapt to the new environment. And the people in charge knew that if people saw what it looked like, they wouldn't believe that it's still poisonous.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

All the talk about the history having been forgotten makes me think of "Onkalo" the Finnish location for depositing nuclear waste and how to communicate to possible far-off people who might not read the same language to avoid opening it. https://medium.com/envisioning-io/this-place-is-a-message-5e2354804ead

I almost instantly wondered if the entire silo is not inside some gigantic mountain, and the exit is actually way down below at the end of a tunnel, and the screen is a complete fakeout with several levels of deception, maybe including poison administered by the suit or the fake outside.

Or the entire silo is the majority of the future population of a interstellar ship looking for a new home, with external people managing the ship and controlling the people with a skeleton crew compared to the rest/hibernating in turns in order to see the destination and retain knowledge.

I dunno, some stupid speculation trying to make sense of it all, not being a book reader.

I need more of this show now!

Dessel fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 9, 2023

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
It's definitely fun to see the speculation. I love it!

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Yeah the speculation is great. What we've seen so far of the mystery comes later on in the books but I think it was a great decision to do it this way for the show.

Highly recommend you read the books if you enjoy the show. Very curious how they handle the later story if they get more seasons.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
There seems to be a ton of visual clues in the show, like the cracks/damage on the walls and probably a lot of other subtle things. The production design is fantastic.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
half way through episode 1: gently caress this dumb rear end sherif, your wife cuts herself open to show you proof, and you respond with "stop acting crazy"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

D-Pad posted:

Yeah the speculation is great. What we've seen so far of the mystery comes later on in the books but I think it was a great decision to do it this way for the show.

Highly recommend you read the books if you enjoy the show. Very curious how they handle the later story if they get more seasons.

The fact that they're already doing some nonlinear storytelling makes me assume that once it becomes relevant they'll just cut between the plot of Shift with the ongoing story of Juliette.

IceG
Feb 7, 2006

Bigger than Hitler - Better than Christ

Fozzy The Bear posted:

half way through episode 1: gently caress this dumb rear end sherif, your wife cuts herself open to show you proof, and you respond with "stop acting crazy"

YES! This was exactly my reaction, I know a guy above said he believed her but everyone is in on it but that really wasn't my take. Obviously the doctor must be, but everyone else seems oblivious so far.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Actually, I kind of agreed with him there. She was uncovering a conspiracy, true. Cutting herself open was a pretty extreme way to prove it, but effective. All good still. But at that point you need to sit down and really think about your next steps and talk it out. Emotions are probably running high, so that'll be hard, but she's been learning about this pretty gradually so this shouldn't be a total shock. She immediately goes full crazy mode though. Honestly, it's almost suspicious how she just completely lost the ability to rationally deal with the world at that point.

I do think he might have believed her but he didn't have anything productive to do with that information, and was not very supportive, which didn't help her mental state, but she kind of went right off the deep end right away, so there wasn't much for him to do. He basically had time to go "What the gently caress" "I need to get you medical attention" and by the time he returned she was already ranting and raving in public- a course of action that was dangerous and crazy even if you believe every word she's saying. Especially if you believe what she's saying.

I honestly think his reaction made more sense than hers in a lot of ways. Even if what she's saying is true, what are you going to actually do about it?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I interpreted the lush outside world as being a simulation provided by a sort of VR experience in the helmets, with the reality seen through the Silo screens being accurate. I don't think the show has really given clues for the motive could be for doing that yet. If it actually turns out to be a way to ensure everyone cleans the cameras... that will be really dumb, as it doesn't really reflect real human psychology. Given how much people seem to like the books, I'll assume there's a far more satisfying answer waiting.

But, as the other poster said, the fact that a lot of the plot and mystery in the first episode hinges on some implausibly stupid choices for coded communication was irritating. My biggest complaint so far.

I liked episode 2 a lot more. Partly because that massive underground drill area looks cool as hell, but mostly because Rebecca Furgeson is really compelling as the grizzled engineer. Her performance and the visual presentation of the lower levels' culture were really cool. Love their tattoos. It reminds me a bit of the belter culture in The Expanse. Really, the whole show is beautiful to look at, but the lower levels stuff especially so.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Bugblatter posted:

I interpreted the lush outside world as being a simulation provided by a sort of VR experience in the helmets, with the reality seen through the Silo screens being accurate. I don't think the show has really given clues for the motive could be for doing that yet. If it actually turns out to be a way to ensure everyone cleans the cameras... that will be really dumb, as it doesn't really reflect real human psychology. Given how much people seem to like the books, I'll assume there's a far more satisfying answer waiting.

I bet the suits they wear to go outside are filled with poison gas that takes a few minutes to kill you. That is why he was trying to take his helmet off, but he was too late, he already breathed it.

The suits didn't prevent anyone before from dieing, why would the leaders continue giving them. They know its the way to kill people who see the truth.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Eh, too much of the cinematography implies the image on the visor is computer generated. We only see the green world in POV shots within the helmet, it looks computer generated, when he takes the helmet off all the out-of-focus background elements are brown and grey without any green or blue, and he can't see his wife's corpse until the helmet is off. I don't think they're seeing any truth. Maaaybe there's also poison, but I kinda thought he was just running out of air. There are no tanks on those things.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Maybe they’re actually on the moon or something

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Bugblatter posted:

he can't see his wife's corpse until the helmet is off.

I missed that part, yeah

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Why does everyone talk like it's 2023? 140 years ago, Mark Twain was the hot poo poo author and they're (supposedly) 140+x years from the end of the world. I guess Apple might be feeling a little gun shy after how goofy the dialog in See was, but man there's not much to sink your teeth into.

As someone said upthread, there's a lot of expository dialog. They definitely could be telling the story through more subtle cues. Like there's a literal upper class and it takes a whole day to travel to where they are, but there are no other real indicators of a stratified society other than house size and costume dirtiness? There's a lot of wasted potential so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Also, is the non-linear storytelling in the book? Episode two had half a dozen time jumps and I feel that really detracted from Holston's dramatic arc. Like as the top cop, he should really be ideologically bought in to the whole society, but he has more than a few moments of "yeah, I'm just gonna do this now, even though I never do"