Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Intruder posted:

I don't agree that the Texans hosed up at 3

We won't know until after the season. If the Cards get a pick higher than... let's say 14, then the Texans hosed up

But that'll mean they hosed up with the Stroud pick not the Anderson pick

e: wait what the gently caress? The Athletic says it was the Browns pick from next year not the Texans pick

e2: ok one story from TA says they traded the Browns pick and the other says they traded their own pick. I'm more likely to believe the Cards demanded the Texans pick not the Browns pick so I'll assume that

If they gave up the Browns pick that's probably a healthy bit better. Just the risk if it's their own pick and the odds of that being a top 5 or 10 pick is so high that....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I know it’s a joke but I could see Irsay drafting Richardson because he’s the literal opposite of a experienced vet

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
I wanted a large line lad and I got a large line lad. I am content.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

CharlestheHammer posted:

I know it’s a joke but I could see Irsay drafting Richardson because he’s the literal opposite of a experienced vet

Ballard said they were in on Richardson for a while. Their main scout saw him last year and they were watching him since then. Then Steichen said he could do a lot of things with him and for the past few months he's been their target.

I'm excited because even if he never really develops, at least he's a QB for the modern game and the team will be fun to watch.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I was hoping the Pats would take JSN because “highly technical slot only guy” is kind of their thing. Or barring that an OT. But hell I can’t be mad at all about a trade back that still lands them Christian Gonzalez. What a refreshingly normal pick.

Also it shook the Jets and that’s always a lol

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Apr 28, 2023

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I extremely happy Baalke didnt make his patented injured-guy pick and instead took an asset to help protect the franchise.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
The Bucs drafted a sure fire hall of famer who has been compared to Aaron Donald and John Randle.

He's gonna bust hard.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Hella excited at the Pats getting Gonzales there + even an extra 4th.

Now load up on OTs/TEs/WRs please, plus maybe a safety

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I’m reading some post-draft commentary and for picks 20-22 this one guy's summary is "this is an alright pick but I think they should have gone with Jordan Addison" then his hit for pick 23 is like "Addison is my favorite WR in the draft, good job Vikings"

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Kalli posted:

If they gave up the Browns pick that's probably a healthy bit better. Just the risk if it's their own pick and the odds of that being a top 5 or 10 pick is so high that....

ESPN posted:

The Texans still own the Cleveland Browns' 2024 first-round pick from last year's Deshaun Watson trade.

The Cardinals, with a Patriot Way GM, still maybe won a trade

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Is the guy the cowboys drafted any good
I'm extremely glad he isn't in the NFC North. Beyond being my favorite DT in the draft he may be my favorite DLineman in the draft.

Feldman, before last season (so not marred by stupid combine prep):

quote:

His former teammate, Aidan Hutchinson, almost was our top guy in 2021, but this year a Wolverine is the No. 1 Freak in college football. The 6-foot-3, 337-pound senior has rare power and agility. So rare, in fact, it’s hard to find the right superlative to begin with. But let’s start with this: Smith does 22 reps on the bench press, but that’s with 325 (not 225). He close-grip benched 550 pounds. He vertical-jumps 33 inches. He broad-jumped 9-4 1/2. Smith, who had 37 tackles last season, has clocked a 4.41 shuttle time, which would’ve tied the best by any defensive tackle at this year’s NFL Scouting Combine, and it would’ve been better than any defensive tackle weighing 310 pounds or more in the past decade. His 6.95 3-cone time would’ve been by far the fastest among defensive tackles in Indianapolis. The fastest was 7.33. Smith’s 60-yard shuttle time is 11.90.

The Wolverines do a reactive plyo stairs test, which is a series of seven 26-inch high stairs that players attempt to jump up as fast as possible. The team record is 2.21 seconds. Smith did it in 2.82. To better gauge just how impressive that is, Hutchinson, some 60 pounds lighter than Smith, did it in 2.57.

Even more remarkable: The Wolverines also do a workout on their combo-twist machine, which is designed to show a player’s ability to rotate an opponent but also their ability to resist being rotated in the trenches. Smith had the machine completely tapped out. There was only enough room for 300 pounds on each side of the machine for a 600-pound max.

“For Mazi, it wasn’t even challenging,” says one of the Wolverine strength coaches. A staffer called the manufacturer to see if there was a way to extend it, then ultimately contacted a private company to build custom extenders for the combo-twist, which made it capable of loading up to 800 pounds to accommodate Smith.

“Mazi’s rotational strength is ridiculous,” said longtime Michigan strength coach Ben Herbert, who said Smith is the strongest defensive lineman he’s seen in 25 years in the business. “He is an incredible combination of rare traits packaged into one player. He is just ridiculously strong and powerful.”

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I like that the bears got a big beefy tackleman. I wish it was the guy from my favorite team who has been SLANDERED by arm-lengthmongers but I'm glad they are trying to make fields slightly less dead. Now please get an entire defensive line.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Mazi smith is a measurables freak and a good dude but he was pretty anonymous against top tier competition.

I like Gonzalez but I’m very much not convinced he got that dawg in him. Two of his four picks were against a dire Colorado team. I do think he’s pretty high floor at least.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Paracaidas posted:

I'm extremely glad he isn't in the NFC North. Beyond being my favorite DT in the draft he may be my favorite DLineman in the draft.

Feldman, before last season (so not marred by stupid combine prep):

This is very cool but also reads like the guy might just tear himself right apart

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

R.D. Mangles posted:

Now please get an entire defensive line.
Extremely displeased that the Bears could easily end up with, say, Adebawore, Tuipulotu, and Dexter with their next three picks and that the backup options of settling for Foskey, Pickens, and Ika would still be a great line.

Great year to pick a bunch in the 2nd and early 3rd.

Freaquency posted:

This is very cool but also reads like the guy might just tear himself right apart
Tbh that's my ideal vibe in a DT

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Paracaidas posted:

Extremely displeased that the Bears could easily end up with, say, Adebawore, Tuipulotu, and Dexter with their next three picks and that the backup options of settling for Foskey, Pickens, and Ika would still be a great line.

Great year to pick a bunch in the 2nd and early 3rd.

Tbh that's my ideal vibe in a DT

Adebawore won't be there and I'm super bummed.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

R.D. Mangles posted:

Adebawore won't be there and I'm super bummed.

Yeah he's a future seahawk

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I didn't think it was possible but Washington did something kinda cool.

https://twitter.com/Commanders/status/1651934539432833024?s=20

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Asproigerosis posted:

I can't imagine being excited about a first round running back in 2023. Even if it was the second coming of Barry sanders it'd still be a reach unless the team was absolutely loaded and in win now mode. Falcons are a waste, just like they wasted Kyle Pitts. Shameful.

I'm not really with this. If you told me a RB was going to be the next Barry Sanders. I'd take him in a heart beat any where in the draft.

I think we've devalued the RB position too much.

Holmes pre-draft presser saying people's mock drafts are bad and he doesnt' care about getting bad grades the day after his picks was good foreshadowing.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yes, if he's one of the greatest players ever at his position, it'll be a good draft pick, and if he's one of these guys?

https://twitter.com/billbarnwell/status/1651765102691975168

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kalli posted:

Yes, if he's one of the greatest players ever at his position, it'll be a good draft pick, and if he's one of these guys?

https://twitter.com/billbarnwell/status/1651765102691975168

This regime didn't draft any of them? (save Gibbs) and the Lions have been extremely bad to this point?

i don't even remember Reuben Droughns... lol

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Brad Holmes on Gibbs:

quote:

As for whether these players could have been had later in the draft, Holmes quickly dismissed that idea. The Lions general manager said they thought about waiting until Pick 18 to grab Gibbs, but they didn’t feel good about their chances. When they decided to take Gibbs at 12, that’s when the texts from other teams came in, confirming to Holmes that he wouldn’t have made it six picks later.

“When we were able to select him at 12, that’s when all the texts started coming in of, ‘Oh,(he) would’ve been gone by 15,’” Holmes said. “Just a lot of picks, a lot of people saying they wanted to trade up, they wanted to get him.”

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Danny LaFever posted:

This regime didn't draft any of them? (save Gibbs) and the Lions have been extremely bad to this point?

i don't even remember Reuben Droughns... lol

I think he managed a Mike Shanahan 1000 yard season at some point in his career. Jones is the one guy who did it for the Lions.

A couple of those guys were walking injuries.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Kerryon was awesome and Patricia loving broke him. :(

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I was maybe a day away from pulling the trigger on a Jahvid Best avatar before he got concussed six ways to Sunday. Poor guy.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Docjowles posted:

I was hoping the Pats would take JSN because “highly technical slot only guy” is kind of their thing. Or barring that an OT. But hell I can’t be mad at all about a trade back that still lands them Christian Gonzalez. What a refreshingly normal pick.

Also it shook the Jets and that’s always a lol

I didn't see it myself, but people reported that ESPN cut to the Jets draft room after the Steeler's pick was announced and there was total confusion.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

MJeff posted:

Brad Holmes on Gibbs:

I have no reason to think Holmes is lying but this has huge Trump energy lol. “And I got so many texts, texts you wouldn’t believe, calling it the perfect draft pick. Big strong men were texting me with tears in their eyes, saying I had gotten their guy, but they were proud of me, not mad. Big Joe Douglas wept openly and called me sir.”

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah I’m not going to believe a GM got a ton of texts telling him how great his move was from apparently other GMs and not hangers on

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

wandler20 posted:

The Bucs drafted a sure fire hall of famer who has been compared to Aaron Donald and John Randle.

He's gonna bust hard.

Never heard of the guy before last night but the biggest knock on him I’ve seen is that he can disappear with double teams. But nobody is going to be double teaming him with Vea right there, so I’m hopeful he’ll be good.

I was so ready for them to draft Levis right there I was ecstatic they didn’t.

Gimmie Hooker in 2nd round

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

MJeff posted:

Brad Holmes on Gibbs:

Prove it - release the texts, Brad.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Holmes mentioned Gibbs at 15 so some enterprising reporter needs to do some digging.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Docjowles posted:

I have no reason to think Holmes is lying but this has huge Trump energy lol. “And I got so many texts, texts you wouldn’t believe, calling it the perfect draft pick. Big strong men were texting me with tears in their eyes, saying I had gotten their guy, but they were proud of me, not mad. Big Joe Douglas wept openly and called me sir.”

We've got the best running backs. We've got the best linebackers. Everybody tells me, Brad, you guys, you have the best running backs. All the time.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah I’m not going to believe a GM got a ton of texts telling him how great his move was from apparently other GMs and not hangers on

This premise doesn't make sense to Charles because his GM has never made a move that other GMs would compliment.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Apr 28, 2023

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Dejan Bimble posted:

The loving second best running back and a mike linebacker, just shoot me in the rear end in a top hat with a machine gun

Could have had jalen carter but no, we have to earn a 4th or 5th round pick in trade chart value. What a loving waste. gently caress the lions

Do you know how annoying it is that you got the one player in the draft that I coveted above all others and you're saying gently caress your team

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Athletic Dane mocks 2 and 3

quote:

32. Pittsburgh Steelers (via CHI): Brian Branch, DB, Alabama
33. Arizona Cardinals (via HOU): Joey Porter Jr., CB, Penn State
34. Detroit Lions (via ARI): Michael Mayer, TE, Notre Dame
35. Indianapolis Colts: Matthew Bergeron, OT/G, Syracuse
36. Los Angeles Rams: Hendon Hooker, QB, Tennessee [poster's note: Rams having the Coen connection and still passing Levis for another QB would be brutal]
37. Seattle Seahawks (via DEN): Adetomiwa Adebawore, DT, Northwestern
38. Las Vegas Raiders: Trenton Simpson, LB, Clemson
39. Carolina Panthers: BJ Ojulari, Edge, LSU
40. New Orleans Saints: Jalin Hyatt, WR, Tennessee
41. Tennessee Titans: Will Levis, QB, Kentucky
42. Green Bay Packers (via NYJ): Steve Avila, G/C, TCU
43. New York Jets: Cody Mauch, OL, North Dakota State
44. Atlanta Falcons: Keion White, Edge, Georgia Tech
45. Green Bay Packers: Luke Musgrave, TE, Oregon State
46. New England Patriots: Drew Sanders, LB, Arkansas
47. Washington Commanders: Darnell Washington, TE, Georgia
48. Detroit Lions: Kelee Ringo, CB, Georgia
49. Pittsburgh Steelers: Keeanu Benton, DT, Wisconsin
50. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: DJ Turner, CB, Michigan
51. Miami Dolphins: Devon Achane, RB, Texas A&M
52. Seattle Seahawks: O’Cyrus Torrence, G, Florida
53. Chicago Bears (via BAL): Joe Tippmann, G/C, Wisconsin
54. Los Angeles Chargers: Cam Smith, CB, South Carolina
55. Detroit Lions (via MIN): Derick Hall, Edge, Auburn
56. Jacksonville Jaguars: Tucker Kraft, TE, South Dakota State
57. New York Giants: John Michael Schmitz, C, Minnesota
58. Dallas Cowboys: Sam LaPorta, TE, Iowa
59. Buffalo Bills: Dawand Jones, OT, Ohio State
60. Cincinnati Bengals: Zach Charbonnet, RB, UCLA
61. Chicago Bears (via CAR): Julius Brents, CB, Kansas State
62. Philadelphia Eagles: Tyrique Stevenson, CB, Miami
63. Kansas City Chiefs: Josh Downs, WR, North Carolina
64. Chicago Bears: Isaiah Foskey, Edge, Notre Dame
65. Houston Texans: Zacch Pickens, DT, South Carolina
66. Philadelphia Eagles (from ARI): Daiyan Henley, LB, Washington State
67. Denver Broncos (via IND): YaYa Diaby, Edge, Louisville
68. Denver Broncos: Clark Phillips III, CB, Utah
69. Los Angeles Rams: Zach Harrison, Edge, Ohio State
70. Las Vegas Raiders: Quan Martin, DB, Illinois
71. New Orleans Saints: Tuli Tuipulotu, Edge, USC
72. Tennessee Titans: Cedric Tillman, WR, Tennessee
73. Houston Texans (via CLE): Tyler Scott, WR, Cincinnati
74. Cleveland Browns (via NYJ): Gervon Dexter Sr., DT, Florida
75. Atlanta Falcons: Marvin Mims Jr., WR, Oklahoma
76. New England Patriots (via CAR): Tyler Steen, OT, Alabama
77. Los Angeles Rams (via MIA): Tyjae Spears, RB, Tulane
78. Green Bay Packers: Antonio Johnson, S, Texas A&M
79. Indianapolis Colts (via WAS): Darius Rush, CB, South Carolina
80. Pittsburgh Steelers: Jonathan Mingo, WR, Ole Miss
81. Arizona Cardinals (via DET): Colby Wooden, DT, Auburn
82. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Roschon Johnson, RB, Texas
83. Seattle Seahawks: Byron Young, Edge, Tennessee
84. Miami Dolphins: Brenton Strange, TE, Penn State
85. Los Angeles Chargers: Siaki Ika, DT, Baylor
86. Baltimore Ravens: Chandler Zavala, G, NC State
87. Minnesota Vikings: Cory Trice, CB, Purdue
88. Jacksonville Jaguars: Cameron Mitchell, CB, Northwestern
89. New York Giants: Rashee Rice, WR, SMU
90. Dallas Cowboys: Kendre Miller, RB, TCU
91. Buffalo Bills: Dorian Williams, LB, Tulane
92. Cincinnati Bengals: Nick Saldiveri, OT/G, Old Dominion
Reed, WR, Michigan State
94. Arizona Cardinals (via PHI): Tank Dell, WR, Houston
95. Kansas City Chiefs: Jaelyn Duncan, OT, Maryland
96. Arizona Cardinals*: Anthony Bradford, G, LSU
97. Washington Commanders*: Nick Hampton, Edge, Appalachian State
98. Cleveland Browns*: Isaiah McGuire, Edge, Missouri
99. San Francisco 49ers*: Marte Mapu, LB/S, Sacramento State
100. Las Vegas Raiders (via NYG)*: Ricky Stromberg, G/C, Arkansas
101. San Francisco 49ers*: Jakorian Bennett, CB, Maryland
102. San Francisco 49ers*: Luke Schoonmaker, TE, Michigan

Paracaidas fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Apr 28, 2023

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Schmitz certainly has a fall from grace in that mock

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Didn't realize cam Mitchell was a potential Day 2 guy, that would be nuts. 1-11 team lmao.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Schmitz certainly has a fall from grace in that mock
I've seen a lot more early 3rd for him than I have late first, so I'd consider it within the range. Tippman or Avila over him is not too controversial either. Tuli in the 70s and Ika in the 80s are probably my two favorite picks of the mock, and Mapu's probably going to take the 'so underrated he's overrated' crown.

ETA: My hottest draft take is that Tuli's going to be a markedly better pro than Kancey.

Paracaidas fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Apr 28, 2023

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

MJeff posted:

Brad Holmes on Gibbs:

I can't tell if Holmes is lying or a credulous idiot. " Wow Mr. Holmes, great draft pick! Ten teams were going to take that RB right after you. Could I get your date of birth and Mother's maiden name to research the genealogy of a man as great as yourself?"

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Give me an offensive lineman please. In no particular order one of these.

Steve Avila, move him back to center
John Michael Schmitz
Joe Tippmann
Matt Bergeron
Dawand Jones

Also,
https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1651969512319639554

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I can't tell if Holmes is lying or a credulous idiot. " Wow Mr. Holmes, great draft pick! Ten teams were going to take that RB right after you. Could I get your date of birth and Mother's maiden name to research the genealogy of a man as great as yourself?"
"Wow, this guy is going to be roasted for this pick. I should text him about how smart he was so that he'll remember me next time he's hiring an assistant GM"
--a dozen directors of football operations, entirely independently