Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin
Share the insane deals for fast food you can remember in your lifetime:

-McDonald’s had $0.29 hamburgers and $0.39 cheeseburgers on tax day around like 2004. They had it for a few years too. Great stuff

- Taco Bell had $0.88 Crunchwrap supremes to counter the narrative that their ground beef wasn’t actually beef. The $0.88 price signified that their beef was in fact 88% real ground beef. I got a bunch of these but I don’t know if they were skimping on the toppings bc they seemed like 50% tortilla. Turned me off of crunchwraps tbh

Any others?

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

5 for $5 Arby’s

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
The buck double at Burger King. McDonald’s was offering double cheeseburgers (I forget if this was pre or post the introduction of the McDouble) for I want to say $1.25 at this time, so the buck double was both cheaper and substantially larger.

Also, when I was a kid, the local surf and turf place at the mall food court offered a $5 combo where they filled a styrofoam takeout container with fries, chicken tenders, and mozzarella sticks. God tier deal.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

99 cent wjopper

Oh Don Piano
Nov 4, 2009

Chief McHeath posted:

99 cent wjopper

:jackbud:

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
$1 junior bacon cheeseburgers from Wendy's in the 90s. That was the regular price for a while.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Jenny Agutter posted:

5 for $5 Arby’s beef n cheddar

loving 2 for 7 now bastards

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

Anonymous Robot posted:

The buck double at Burger King. McDonald’s was offering double cheeseburgers (I forget if this was pre or post the introduction of the McDouble) for I want to say $1.25 at this time, so the buck double was both cheaper and substantially larger.

Also, when I was a kid, the local surf and turf place at the mall food court offered a $5 combo where they filled a styrofoam takeout container with fries, chicken tenders, and mozzarella sticks. God tier deal.

Yes, I ate so many of those loving things in college lol. They were delicious and fairly big too. The franchisees loving hated it though since it was a big loss leader.

Chief McHeath posted:

99 cent wjopper

Jeet Christ :rubshands:

----------------

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

Share the insane deals for fast food you can remember in your lifetime:

-McDonald’s had $0.29 hamburgers and $0.39 cheeseburgers on tax day around like 2004. They had it for a few years too. Great stuff

In my early 20's I think both McD's and BK had those deals here every once in a while, cheeseburgers for like 39 cents. There was a place where we had a house party at every friday and saturday night for years, and showing up late at night with a dozen or more cheeseburgers and tossing them around to your drunk friends right when you walk in was a great way to look like a party god for only a few bucks.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Wacky Wednesday at Hungry Howies when you got a large pepperoni pizza for five bucks. And it wasn’t like a Hot N Ready it was an actual edible pizza.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

In the 90s and early 00s McDonald's here used to do a promo every winter where you could get a big mac or qpc for whatever the temperature it was at noon the day prior (so 20F would be 20 cents, etc) and if it was below zero it was free.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.
19 cent hamburgers, 29 cent cheeseburgers at McDonald's.

I got a JBC for $1.39 at a Wendy's in rural Tennessee in 2012, I thought that was pretty cheap still.

Maxwell Street cheeseburger and fries for like 2-3$. So good.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Schweinhund posted:

$1 junior bacon cheeseburgers from Wendy's in the 90s. That was the regular price for a while.

yeah

and i remember the meximelt from taco bell being like 99c for a while. that and the soft shell chicken taco was the standard for a long time

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Early 2000s was the reign of the $1.29 Wendy’s double stack and the $1.49 JITB big Texas cheeseburger round here which were my preferred cheap college calories.

There was also a local drive thru sushi place that would completely fill a standard styrofoam to go box with non-specialty rolls for like eight bucks.

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

Casu Marzu posted:

In the 90s and early 00s McDonald's here used to do a promo every winter where you could get a big mac or qpc for whatever the temperature it was at noon the day prior (so 20F would be 20 cents, etc) and if it was below zero it was free.

Incredible.

Thinking about this some more, the $0.88 Crunchwrap deal from 2011 is the last time i can remember fast food doing some insane must-have deal. Fast food just isnt what it used to be

----------------

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

still remember the shitstorm this caused

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

halokiller posted:

still remember the shitstorm this caused

Someone probably thought they were being sensitive by not including a slice of watermelon.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.
2.99 wendy's superbar

Bring it back, you motherfuckers

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Like 20 years ago Checkers would sometimes do $1 Spicy Chicken Sandwiches. We used to just buy sacks of them.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The $0.69 large soda Carls Jr had at the end of the 00s meant you could get a cheeseburger and a spicy chicken and a large drink for under $4 which was great in college.

:sss: :tbear: Oel ngati kameie Los Ingobernables de Onsite BYOB
Seared tuna steak, served with ponzu sauce and wasabi.

FrankeeFrankFrank on 07:55 May 03, 2015 posted:

sometimes i rub Fabreeze on my hands and now my hands are very dry.

FrankeeFrankFrank on 04:55 Apr 10, 2017 posted:

It was nice knowing you all. Sometimes.

I still believe in Second Winter. Put this in your sig if you also believe in that and that it is real and not fake like the others say.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
For its 75th anniversary c. 2006, Salisbury House did 75 cent Tuesdays- a burger that would normally be $5.99 (Canadian) by itself was 75 cents. Fries? 75 cents. Drink? 75 cents. Wafer pie? Oh you better believe that was 75 cents.

----------------

Tite Barnacle
Jun 4, 2014

Meowdy Purrdner

Grimey Drawer
Big Macs 2 for $2.22 in 1992

----------------

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
there was a mafia style pizza parlor near my high school that gave u 2 slices and a drink for $2

inasne deal.

honestly i think the 4 for $4 a few years ago Wendys was a very good deal. nothing like the 29 and 39c ham/cheeseburgers of yore but nothing that good could ever happen again.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Smythe posted:

there was a mafia style pizza parlor near my high school that gave u 2 slices and a drink for $2

does this mean they were laundering money or some sort of front for something else or just some shady Italian guys or what?

or does the mafia have their own style of pizza, like New York style, Chicago style, and mafia style? can you get bullets as a topping? do they deliver pizza and horse heads?

I don't know, this amuses me more than it should I guess :)

that is a good deal though!

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
It’s a “family” business... understand?

----------------

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Smythe posted:

There was a place doing that for $3 here for a giant slice and a drink ears ago, it only had the title "brooklyn pizza" with a different name inside that I forgot. At that point someone else bought them and they are ____'s (I don't remember) Brooklyn Pizza now and it's like $9 for the same exact bad pizza.

I still believe in Second Winter. Put this in your sig if you also believe in that and that it is real and not fake like the others say.

sisterSyzygy
Sep 5, 2013

The funk soul brother at the back of her head has gone dark. Forever.
some mornings when i worked overnights i would walk to the burger king that was just a block down the road from where i lived. burger king like 5 years ago started doing the "burgers for breakfast" and they would still let you do this "king's meal deal" where you got two of their basic burgers (i got chicken jrs) a small fry and a drink.

i would sit in basically alone until the old dudes came in to get their breakfast and coffee. total cost was like $3.20. got on a great rapport with the workers there and they knew i didn't mind waiting so they can fix up other orders.

great way to watch the sun come up for some reason. peaceful.

UKJeff
May 17, 2023

by vyelkin

sisterSyzygy posted:

some mornings when i worked overnights i would walk to the burger king that was just a block down the road from where i lived. burger king like 5 years ago started doing the "burgers for breakfast" and they would still let you do this "king's meal deal" where you got two of their basic burgers (i got chicken jrs) a small fry and a drink.

i would sit in basically alone until the old dudes came in to get their breakfast and coffee. total cost was like $3.20. got on a great rapport with the workers there and they knew i didn't mind waiting so they can fix up other orders.

I’m imagining this right now and feeling serene

----------------

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I'm not sure it was real, maybe I imagined it, but five cent cheeseburger day once per month at a small town McDonald's.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Animal-Mother posted:

I'm not sure it was real, maybe I imagined it, but five cent cheeseburger day once per month at a small town McDonald's.

This definitely happened for 25 cents in mid 90s where I grew up. 5 cents seems like some poo poo you’d see in a first McDonalds photo from the 1950s

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

This definitely happened for 25 cents in mid 90s where I grew up. 5 cents seems like some poo poo you’d see in a first McDonalds photo from the 1950s

That's what I was thinking, though I think it happened in the 2000's here for 29 cent hamburgers and 39 cent cheeseburgers here like I said a while ago in the thread. I remember showing up to parties with bags full of burgers for cheap being a huge hit. I can't remember any 5 cent deals, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen somewhere sometime but it does sound like a 1950s "grand opening" sort of thing :shrug:

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.
My grandmother said she used to be able to get a sack of chili dogs for a nickel when she was a kid, but she's 91. Not sure how many are in a sack, I'll ask her.

UKJeff
May 17, 2023

by vyelkin
Yeah I think the $0.19 hamburger/$0.29 cheeseburger deal was on or around tax day.

I remember going with my mom and trying to order like 10 of them and she looked at me like I was insane. Clearly, she didn’t “get” fast food

----------------

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
There was a drive thru only McDonald's (with 2 drive thrus, no less) in Saginaw Michigan that did $0.29 hamburgers and $0.39 cheeseburgers on a fairly regular basis back around 93 or 94.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

sisterSyzygy posted:

I used to get whoppers at breakfast times here and there (the one near me only does whoppers in the AM) but for a while they were practically giving the sausage croissants away and that pulled me into their breakfast food.