Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

is smugworth's gimmick that all his posts are written by chatgpt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

The radio play was very good.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

TIP posted:

is smugworth's gimmick that all his posts are written by chatgpt?

No I definitely spent time writing all those thoughtful responses

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
yeah that book sucks dick!!!!

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

20 Blunts posted:

yeah that book sucks dick!!!!

I’d give it two stars if it did

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

guide to the fallacy more like it since i guess he is full of poo poo!

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Toxic Mental posted:

Yeah it's pretty bad, most of that SOOOOO quirky!!! brit writing like Adams and Terry Pratchett etc, is a cringe black hole

*Me, reading a joke in a book*

Ugh. Ugh, this text is being very unserious. How could anyone be so unserious, and in a book of all things? I feel so embarrassed for the author and for myself. If my internet friends knew I was reading something so silly, I would just die.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Torquemada posted:

Books are good now, were absolutely stellar forty years ago.

Yeah the series is old as balls, the first book came out 44 years ago and the author died 22 years ago. I was actually in a HHGttG fanclub way back in the early 90s when I was going to uni, they all got back together when the new movie came out and were snapping up all the collectables like the H2G2 branded towels

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

Slugworth posted:

Books or show? Books or show!?

Every time someone posts an excerpt from the books to argue how much better they were than the show, it is baffling how poorly written they are. And I'm not some book snob, I'm barely literate.

Truth.

Mediocre fantasy series that’s never going to be finished, beloved by barely literate public.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
Hitchhikers was originally a radio show. It was one of my favourite things when I was a kid and I listened to it an immeasurable amount of times growing up. The first two "phases" (series) are legit and still hold up fairly well forty-five years later.

The first novels were adaptations of the radio show and lost all of the charm. The story ended up being completed in book form and they didn't resume the radio show until 2004, which is a shame really for many reasons. It's a shame that it took so long to complete but it's a bigger shame that it was an adaption of the books instead of being written primarily for it's original format.

The TV series was a great adaptation and it helped having some of the actors from the radio show reprising their roles.

The film was absolute dog poo poo.

But yes, quoting from this series out of context is annoying but I can say that about any other series.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Radio show is basically a podcast and that's always berrrry bad

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

Hey millenials, I'm here to tell you the things you enjoyed during your developmental stage were actually bad!

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
i would advise all people who "have" tea and no tea at the same time to be careful because that likely means you have a predisposition to a mental illness. peace.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

CheeseThief posted:

Hey millenials, I'm here to tell you the things you enjoyed during your developmental stage were actually bad!

This is a healthy thing to admit and come to terms with! Admitting things you liked might have been bad or just tainted with nostalgia is the first step towards liking better things!

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
It's fine, OP. There's better and worse stuff.

In high school, we had to write a report about our favorite author. As the class listed off who we were going to write about, I remarked that mine, Adams, was the only author being written about who was still alive. When I got home that day, I found out that Douglas Adams had died; specifically at the time I was in that English class. As a writer of convoluted coincidences, I think he'd have appreciated that fact (barring the dropping dead).

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
You should try reading books you like instead.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay house
Hitchhiker's guide is the monty python and the holy grail of books. Quoted endlessly by the m'lady people

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

CheeseThief posted:

they mostly were though

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I loved the books as a 12 year old nerd, but have never gone back to them because I kind of worry they wouldn’t hold up. The fact that Douglas Adams was BFFs with Richard Dawkins is kind of a red flag IMO.

That being said I do like the TV miniseries and think that holds up pretty well. He wrote some good Doctor Who episodes too.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I read the first one and liked it but the sequels ran out of steam, too many jokes about telephone sanitizers, jogging, and customer service that were probably fun in the 80s but got dull. Like sniglets.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I remember Dirk Gently mentioning robots that watch TV for you, and that's pretty much what DVR is.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Last Chance to See is the better Douglas Adams book

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I read the first one and liked it but the sequels ran out of steam, too many jokes about telephone sanitizers, jogging, and customer service that were probably fun in the 80s but got dull. Like sniglets.

I remember a few bits from the sequels but for the life of me couldn't tell you the general plot of them.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

space uncle posted:

Book - good
Sequels - mostly mediocre
Movie - bad
This thread - bad
Anyone who quotes the book - bad

Hope this cheat sheet helps I have it tattood on my forearm for reference.

Had a surreal moment last week where I went to the doctor and was concerned about testicular cancer. The doc told me he knew the secret to life the universe and everything. I played the straight man role and asked him what it was. He said 42. I replied “oh Douglas Adams.” He was happy I got the reference. I remained concerned about my ball. At least he tried to inject some levity,

@space uncle was your ball ok

the heebie-gbs
Apr 23, 2007

♫ twerrrmmmmm ♫
       /
:sax:

space uncle posted:

Book - good
Sequels - mostly mediocre
Movie - bad
This thread - bad
Anyone who quotes the book - bad

a quote so empty that, being full of emptiness, its paradoxical superposition of both fullness and emptiness was studied at length by the paradox priests of bramblarcus IX, who described it as, and i quote: "exhaustingly masturbatory."

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
I walked out of the movie after like 15 minutes (it was a second-run dollar theater to be fair).

the heebie-gbs
Apr 23, 2007

♫ twerrrmmmmm ♫
       /
:sax:

Pneub posted:

I walked out of the movie after like 15 minutes (it was a second-run dollar theater to be fair).

if only the studio had the balls to let zooey deschanel sing "santa claus is coming to town" at the end, we'd be having a different conversation right now.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

At the time I was annoyed but in retrospect I admire the film makers for having the last joke of the film being

"Uh.. isn't the restaurant at the end of the universe the other way?"
referring to space rather than time, and thus annoying all the True fans in the audience. like 14 year old me raising their fists to the ceiling.

also bbc series owns, see my avatar for details

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Chairman Capone posted:

I loved the books as a 12 year old nerd, but have never gone back to them because I kind of worry they wouldn’t hold up. The fact that Douglas Adams was BFFs with Richard Dawkins is kind of a red flag IMO.

At the time Adams died, Dawkins hadn't yet become tiresome. Adams knew the 'scientist with a few neat books and the word 'meme' to his credit' Dawkins, not the 'omnipresent yelling about religion' guy. Adams is obviously not religious, but the books are very definitely 'poking gentle fun' not 'frothing tirades'.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
The radio play, book and tv series were pretty good. The movie was pretty bad.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I'm part of the dumb masses who just couldn't get into Hitchhiker's like other people did. I didn't hate it, but it just lacked that certain something for me that made me enjoy it like other people.

The damnedest thing though is that for humor of a similar bent, I preferred the first two Red Dwarf novels/adaptations. I maybe even prefer them in some ways to the actual TV show plotlines they're based on.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I really loved the first book as a teen, and thought parts of books 2 and 3 were good. I also really liked the radio play (although due to it being the before Internet days, the version I listened to was a Finnish version). I went back to re-read the books and listen to the English original radio play a few years ago, and the first book was still OK, but after that it just falls off a cliff or disappears up its own rear end in a top hat so loving fast.

quote:

The Outside of the Asylum is the home of Wonko the Sane. Designed to keep the outside world enclosed when he realised that it had gone mad, it was made entirely inside out, going so far as to make a visitor park on the carpet. Outside (the house, not the Asylum) are bookshelves, paintings "made to soothe," and some semi-circular three legged tables. The roof is decorated with upward hanging chandeliers. Wonko refuses to ever leave the Outside of the Asylum.

It is inside the Outside of the Asylum (if that hasn't confused you) that there is a garden area, with small trees, brick walls, and some well kept gutters.

The Outside of the Asylum is in California, looking over the Pacific Ocean.

It's just this poo poo for hours and hours. I seriously don't know if I'm just too loving stupid to get it, or if this kind of pseudointellectual tryhard amateur philosophy poo poo has just lost any shine it might have had over these past 40 years.

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:
more people would probably like the book if it was '69' or '420' instead of '42'

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

It's just this poo poo for hours and hours. I seriously don't know if I'm just too loving stupid to get it, or if this kind of pseudointellectual tryhard amateur philosophy poo poo has just lost any shine it might have had over these past 40 years.

The house is inside-out. Wonko the sane thinks the world is crazy, but actually, he's the crazy one. :thejoke:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Nah it's just pseudointellectual masturbation

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Moai Ou posted:

The house is inside-out. Wonko the sane thinks the world is crazy, but actually, he's the crazy one. :thejoke:

No yeah I got that, but not why it's meant to be the height of hilarity.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

who would want to be a hater? twisting like a stir fry? no thanks, not for this OP

'Cause hate is all the world has even seen lately

R.L. Stine posted:

Hitchhiker's guide is the monty python and the holy grail of books. Quoted endlessly by the m'lady people

Yeah, that was the vibe I got from the people I knew who liked the book, which is the main reason that I never read it

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

No yeah I got that, but not why it's meant to be the height of hilarity.

you're not meant to laugh out loud at it, you're meant to puff on your pipe and go hmm, yes... very droll

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
It's been around for 50 years for people to be obnoxious about it though, someone is gonna ruin it sooner or later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Hitchhikers guide to my balls