Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Incitatus posted:

I could kick these dudes' asses

One's dead, the other's a warlock, and the third is one of the nicest people around. Don't give Alan Moore one more person to hex, he refuses to die until his list is complete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp

space uncle posted:

The book just doesn’t translate well to a movie because most of the jokes are as expository lines from the author. Yes the dialogue has some jokes but so much of the novel is written “this is Douglas Adams being silly directly at you.” If you try to put that on screen with a narrator doing exposition or Family Guy style cutaways it is jarring and not very funny. If you try to work those jokes in as new dialogue it’s also generally not done well.

Yeah. That was part of what made the movie awful. Like the introduction of the vogon ship. They had the jeweled scuttling crabs and the delicate deer, but what makes those jokes is the paragraphs of exposition. Just showing it on the screen isn't even an attempt at a joke.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Smugworth posted:

MUDs ruled

:agreed: I definitely spent more time on ZombieMUD and Lensmoor than anything academic

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
The movie was the first time I've been let down by something I thought I would love. Very formative for my ten year old self.

The Hello Machine
Jul 19, 2021

I'm not a real machine, but I am a real Hello-sayer.
There's a picture of a rude green planet. What's his loving problem??

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Mulaney Power Move posted:

It's because nerds could finally get together online and form their own communities, write the fanfiction, act it out in the MUDs, all without the shame they deserved

Even prior to this, though, like in the 80s and early 90s, I remember there being a lot of interest in HItchhikers, especially with the middle school through college age crowds.

I've been trying to figure out if there's some sort of academic pathway to the popularity of the book in the US. HHGTTG and/or A Wrinkle In Time were the only books I always seemed to remember being the lone 'nerd genre' titles that were acceptable and encouraged through middle and high school. Nothing else really had the push I recall those two having, not even LOTR or Bradbury material.

Keep wondering if there was some early 80s academic reading list it got put on or something.

Edit: As a goof I was trying to dig up some scan of Scholastic book fair catalogs from the 80s to see if some version of it showed up, but I'm not having any luck so far. You could get storybook adaptation of Dune, though.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 04:05 on May 8, 2023

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
One of the things about HHGG is that it is very well written. Just the actual prose. It's rare that you find comedic writing of that caliber. Oftentimes, writing that good is pretty dry but Adams humor was able to make it something more.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think also because especially at the time, there's very little else like it, especially something good; sci-fi comedy that commits to the premise and isn't just a clear parody of something specific.

Though now I suddenly realise the basic premise at least of an everyman whisked away from a familiar society and landing on various strange and silly worlds with overtones of social satire is pretty much Gulliver's Travels.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Actually heard it and figured it kinda works that Futurama is probably the closest thing to a good American version of Hitchhiker's Guide.

Currently rewatching Futurama after quite a few years. Holding up fine, only part way through season 2 but enjoyable and I forgot John Goodman was Robot Santa. Especially like how nice the animation looks.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I decided to read the hitchhiker trilogy, all five books because of this thread. I used to do it every year, probably ready it all 15 times now.

Anyhow, here's a new inconsistency I spotted. In chapter 1, the guide is described as having a screen about 4 inches square, so I assume 2" x 2". But in chapter 4, it says the screen is 3" x 4". That's 12 square inches, not 4!

In chapter 6, as Arthur and Ford are being dragged to the airlock, Arthur says "I woke up this morning and thought I'd have a nice relaxed day, do a bit of reading, brush the dog..." This is the first (and only, I think, even when he comes back to earth in book 3 or 4 there's no dog) mention of Arthur having a dog. Was the dog in the house when it got destroyed by the construction crew? Why hasn't Arthur expressed any concern about his dog?? Why did he just run off to the pub with Ford and leave his dog in the house when it was being threatened with destruction??? What kind of monster is Arthur?

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 05:51 on May 10, 2023

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Anyhow, here's a new inconsistency I spotted. In chapter 1, the guide is described as having a screen about 4 inches square, so I assume 2" x 2". But in chapter 4, it says the screen is 3" x 4". That's 12 square inches, not 4!

Boy, I really hope somebody got fired for that blunder!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Woke up this morning and I'm still mad about the dog.

naem
May 29, 2011

Incitatus posted:

I could kick these dudes' asses

Neil Gaiman is real, and strong, and my friend

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

I decided to read the hitchhiker trilogy, all five books because of this thread. I used to do it every year, probably ready it all 15 times now.

In chapter 6, as Arthur and Ford are being dragged to the airlock, Arthur says "I woke up this morning and thought I'd have a nice relaxed day, do a bit of reading, brush the dog..." This is the first (and only, I think, even when he comes back to earth in book 3 or 4 there's no dog) mention of Arthur having a dog. Was the dog in the house when it got destroyed by the construction crew? Why hasn't Arthur expressed any concern about his dog?? Why did he just run off to the pub with Ford and leave his dog in the house when it was being threatened with destruction??? What kind of monster is Arthur?

the dog could be a neighbor's one, or maybe even a friendly local stray. i think there's enough room for interpretation that we can both assume the best and the worst about the author.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
otoh, the screen thing is complete bullshit, gently caress douglas adams

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I'm a lovely person because when someone asks me about the film I say "yeah, it's Willow in the robot suit"

I'm sorry Warwick Davis you were great in the Leprechaun movies

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
"Brush the dog" is rhyming slang for "crank your hog."

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
talmudic discussion got nothin on this thread

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp

zedprime posted:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

zedprime posted:

OOOOoohhhh

Ok then

Nosfereefer posted:

otoh, the screen thing is complete bullshit, gently caress douglas adams

no gently caress you dad

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Big red letters saying "Dont nitpick"

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I don't think "4 inches square" means the same thing as "4 square inches"

"inches square" isn't really a thing so I'm just gonna assume he meant "a 4 inch square" or "4 inches squared", which is pretty close to a 3"x4" square

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I loved my irl HHGG back when the kindle had free cell service, it was a magical time

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

zedprime posted:

I always assumed it was a real English slang for jerking off

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I read all the books but me gently caress me if I can remember a quote

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Treecko posted:

I read all the books but me gently caress me if I can remember a quote

Do you know how much damage it would cause this steamroller if I let it roll right over you

None

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Probably something to do with a towel

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
The Guide says there is an art to flying", said Ford, "or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.

One of my favourites.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Wasn't there a dog down at the tavern people would yell 'commies' at or something? You have to give it a sandwich in the game or you suddenly lose near the end of the game.

naem
May 29, 2011

you sound like a real hoopy frood

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
My brain only holds onto information that is completely useless.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Same. I'm dumb as hell

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I remember roughly 30% of the lines in Futurama and approximately 5% of the degree I paid uncountable dollars for

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

naem posted:

you sound like a real hoopy frood

Hoopy is a noun, not an adjective. Means "really together guy."

"You sass that hoopy Ford Prefect? Theres a frood who really knows where his towel is" is therefore "You [know/be aware of/meet/have sex with] that [really together guy] Ford Prefect? Theres a [really amazingly together guy] who really knows where his towel is."

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 04:52 on May 11, 2023

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Here in chapter 19, Zaphod calls Marvin the Paranoid Android, and I'm reminded that Radiohead named a song after it. Man I remember how pretentious kids used to be about being into Radiohead in high school. Probably still are but even more so now that Radiohead is more than 20 years old so basically classic rock.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp

Beachcomber posted:

Wasn't there a dog down at the tavern people would yell 'commies' at or something? You have to give it a sandwich in the game or you suddenly lose near the end of the game.

Know nothing bozo the non-wonder dog. I dunno if it was in hitchikers or dirk gently

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Confusedslight posted:

The Guide says there is an art to flying", said Ford, "or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.

One of my favourites.

I remember Kerbal Space Program tutorials telling me this is actually a pretty good description of maintaining a steady orbit.

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:

naem posted:

Neil Gaiman is real, and strong, and my friend

hes a nerd

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

PokeJoe posted:

I remember roughly 30% of the lines in Futurama and approximately 5% of the degree I paid uncountable dollars for

If you put the hat on the head, the degree will be more obvious.

Here in chapter 19, Zaphod calls Marvin the Paranoid Android, and I'm reminded that Radiohead named a song after it. Man I remember how pretentious kids used to be about being into Radiohead in high school. Probably still are but even more so now that Radiohead is more than 20 years old so basically classic rock.

1) I didn't know Paranoid Android was ever a non-Radiohead thing
2) Radiohead is more dadrock than classic rock, imho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Classic rock is anything over 20 years old with guitars in it. Marlyin manson is classic rock.