Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Incitatus posted:

hes a nerd

Neil Gaiman has some good work and anyone who travels across the globe during a pandemic to escape Amanda Palmer is alright with me, but he also has the vibe of someone who cosplays being an author in addition to actually being one. Like, I bet he uses a typewriter and has multiples of the same leather jacket so he's never caught without it.

Also, biiiiig poly, superwholock, PostModern Jukebox vibes from that guy.

EDIT: LMAO, of course:

"Bradlee struggled for years as a jazz musician in New York City before one of his videos ("a medley of '80s songs done ragtime style")[5] became popular in 2009. He received a message on Twitter from author Neil Gaiman.[4] "

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

The character Sutter Cane in "In the Mouth of Madness" is obviously a Steven King stand-in, but when he finally appears in the film my reaction was "oh it's Neil Gaiman"

naem
May 29, 2011

Incitatus posted:

hes a nerd

most intelligent, talented, hardworking nice people are and they make the world a better place to live

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

naem posted:

most intelligent, talented, hardworking nice people are and they make the world a better place to live

Glad to have you on the forums, Neil.

I have to disagree though, and think the "nerds are nice" thing is an absolute fallacy and that the unspoken collerary to what you posted is often "people like ME make the world a better place to live."

Loads of nerds range from just unpleasant to be around as they screech Firefly quotes and Tenacious D to each other with poor personal hygiene, or irritating, sarcastic, superior pedants to genuinely dangerous people like Elon Musk or "b...b...ut I'm a nerd!" predators like Joss Whedon or Warren Ellis.

Passion is cool. Knowledge is cool. Craft is cool. But you don't have to be a social maladept to have these things.

naem
May 29, 2011

I just think some of the stuff Neil writes is fun and good and it makes me happy and I’m glad of it

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

naem posted:

I just think some of the stuff Neil writes is fun and good and it makes me happy and I’m glad of it

I agree and im happy for you. I'd go as far as saying he helped shape the direction of my life as he was a big influence on me becoming a "literate" teenager and subsequently a near unemployable University graduate, but he's still a nerd.

naem
May 29, 2011

Disco Pope posted:

I agree and im happy for you. I'd go as far as saying he helped shape the direction of my life as he was a big influence on me becoming a "literate" teenager and subsequently a near unemployable University graduate, but he's still a nerd.

I am at least 87% sure that you and I right now are also nerds fyi

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

naem posted:

I am at least 87% sure that you and I right now are also nerds fyi

Yeah, but I'm ablaze with self-loathing.

naem
May 29, 2011

Disco Pope posted:

same and who isn’t? at least a little

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Disco Pope posted:

Lmao, just lol

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
In Sim City 2000, if you click on the details of a library, then click "ruminate" you get this meditation on cities written by Neil Gaiman:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Ok i take it all back this nail guy needs a swirlie

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I think Neil tends to agree he needs a swirlie.

Gaiman is really good at narrating dreams which works best in short or contributor type formats like Sandman or Good Omens or The Ocean At the End of the Lane. Novelist Gaiman is exhausting; I don't understand how people make it through half of American Gods and don't say "I want to wake up now."

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:

Extra Large Marge posted:

In Sim City 2000, if you click on the details of a library, then click "ruminate" you get this meditation on cities written by Neil Gaiman:

For now cities sleep.

Like everyone reading Neil's books XD

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Tomorrow is spelled wrong in that :mad:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

tom morrow would be really upset to learn that neil fudged his name :(

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Disco Pope posted:

Neil Gaiman has some good work and anyone who travels across the globe during a pandemic to escape Amanda Palmer is alright with me, but he also has the vibe of someone who cosplays being an author in addition to actually being one. Like, I bet he uses a typewriter and has multiples of the same leather jacket so he's never caught without it.

EDIT: LMAO, of course:

"Bradlee struggled for years as a jazz musician in New York City before one of his videos ("a medley of '80s songs done ragtime style")[5] became popular in 2009. He received a message on Twitter from author Neil Gaiman.[4] "

He has a tumblr that is very lame and self-important

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
That's all of Tumbler tho

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

If you're a ""creative"" and not huffing your own farts 24/7 what are you even doing with your life?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

feelix posted:

Lolrandom British garbage for nerds to quote forever until it becomes even less funny than it already is

I am sorry that you have a bad opinion, these things happen

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I am sorry that you have a bad opinion, these things happen

You're a real hoopy frood mumps

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Smugworth posted:

don't make me read you Vogon poetry, Smugworth. I'll do it. I got nothing to lose

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Smugworth posted:

Look I already explained this
Jesus christ its like some of you are shitposting or something

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Look I already explained this
Jesus christ its like some of you are shitposting or something

yes. of course. where do you think you are?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

This is the serious about English scifi humorists thread

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Philomena Crunk is real and my spirit animal

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Oh man I just discovered her last week, really life changing stuff

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

When she says the Greeks created theater for stupid people, also known as sports I cackled a lot

naem
May 29, 2011

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Philomena Crunk is real and my spirit animal

https://youtube.com/shorts/sBlRc6ZlhDg?feature=share

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

*nose completely out of joint* well I guess humor isn’t for everyone.... :o:

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Semi-unrelated, but "Why I Left Harry's All-Night Hamburgers" feels like a spiritual counterpoint to HHG, and I'm surprised that it's taking years and years for them to still get a movie made of it. At this point, I would have figured some serialized show like Outer Limits or Twilight Zone over the years would have gotten the rights to adapt it.

Kid works at an all-night diner in the middle of nowhere, discovers the location is a landing spot for multiversal travellers who are constantly on the move, and he debates leaving his boring life to join them. It's an absurd premise, but the story itself is not really a comedy.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Disco Pope posted:

Neil Gaiman can reasonably be credited with helping invent a good chunk of that I'm p sure

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I'm on to the Restaurant At the End of the Universe now and a thought occurred to me. The Total Perspective vortex sounds an awful like a psychedelic experience. Maybe something like salvia or dmt. Maybe just mushrooms or acid. Anyhow, the idea of being shown the whole of the universe compared to yourself, in just a few seconds time, and dealing with that for a lifetime after kind of is the same concept as the time dilation and dissociation from a pretty deep trip.

I bet douglas adams did some psychedelics from time to time. Do you think he would have gone on Joe Rogan if he was still alive?

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
IMHO someone who did drugs would have wrote a better book :shrug:

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy was actually very good op

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Neil Gaiman can reasonably be credited with helping invent a good chunk of that I'm p sure

I don't know. Do doughy 43 year-olds with "normal people scare me" t-shirts, wireframe glasses and dogs named "Captain" come first or does Neil Gaiman come first. I feel like that archtype will always exist and a Gaiman or a Moffat or a Whedon just kind of hovers into their orbit.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

I'm on to the Restaurant At the End of the Universe now and a thought occurred to me. The Total Perspective vortex sounds an awful like a psychedelic experience. Maybe something like salvia or dmt. Maybe just mushrooms or acid. Anyhow, the idea of being shown the whole of the universe compared to yourself, in just a few seconds time, and dealing with that for a lifetime after kind of is the same concept as the time dilation and dissociation from a pretty deep trip.

I bet douglas adams did some psychedelics from time to time. Do you think he would have gone on Joe Rogan if he was still alive?

the concept of a travel guide to the galaxy came to Adams while he was wasted and lying in a field in Innsbruck looking at the stars so you're on the right track here

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
The first two books were fun then they got increasingly worse. This is because Adams grew to hate Hitchhiker's but people kept sending him very large checks to write more, and hey, booze ain't gonna pay for itself.

His best stuff is his other stuff. Like this:

Douglas Adams posted:

I was in England at the time. I could tell I was in England because I was sitting in the rain under a wet blanket in a muddy field listening to some loving orchestra in a kind of red tent playing hits from American movie soundtracks. Is there anywhere else in the world where people would do such a thing? Anywhere? Would they do it in Italy? Would they do it in Tierra del Fuego? Would they do it on Baffin Island? No. Even in Japan where national pastimes include ripping out your own intestines with a knife, I think they would draw the line.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Howard Beale posted:

the concept of a travel guide to the galaxy came to Adams while he was wasted and lying in a field in Innsbruck looking at the stars so you're on the right track here

I thought the story is that he was just drunk, but now that I think about it maybe that's just his :decorum: version of the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Here's a funny line: "Ford Prefect's consciousness snapped back like elastic, making his brain smart."