Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/matttomic/status/1394498097254965249

https://twitter.com/TalkinBaseball_/status/1651596433261309954

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Anyone got a link to the MLB.tv sharing thread? I always forget which sub forum it's in.

MEET THE TEAMS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4027936

https://i.imgur.com/OkliaV6.mp4

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 19:29 on May 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The Twins put up a cool video on their youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1i868z2XsY

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hail baseball!

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
we got swept by the Marlins but didn't cede any ground to the Cardinals? silver linings

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Devers has 10 homers already? Goddamn.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

orioles are good

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1653031946996334594

Also the reason the Pads and Giants were hitting so many bombs:
https://twitter.com/susanslusser/status/1652503234907348992

https://twitter.com/_JoeSeppi/status/1652765842583736320

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Forrest on Fire posted:

Well when you have a veteran on staff like Hicks who can play* those multiple positions, you feel like you don't need to worry about things like positional fix.

*play meaning occupy physical space not be good lmao

I know you're joking but they could've also taken any minor league filler in that role and gotten the same production they have from Hicks. The yankees' FO richly deserves what they are getting here. The pitching you can blame the injuries for but this lineup is loving disgraceful and it would've been without any injuries. They SO BADLY needed to remake the offense after the way the last few seasons have gone and they literally did NOTHING to change up anything in the lineup. Selfishly I should also point out that after having an MVP level first week of the season my boy Gleyber Torres has been complete dogshit.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 15:01 on May 1, 2023

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
No way Arraez can bat 400 the whole season, right?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

camoseven posted:

his BABIP is .452

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

mcmagic posted:

I know you're joking but they could've also taken any minor league filler in that role and gotten the same production they have from Hicks. The yankees' FO richly deserves what they are getting here. The pitching you can blame the injuries for but this lineup is loving disgraceful and it would've been without any injuries. They SO BADLY needed to remake the offense after the way the last few seasons have gone and they literally did NOTHING to change up anything in the lineup. Selfishly I should also point out that after having an MVP level first week of the season my boy Gleyber Torres has been complete dogshit.

They refuse to acknowledge a sunk cost and just get rid of Hicks and Donaldson. IKF is playing CF for fucks sake. The rotation is kind of a mess but that happens when you rely on Luis Severino AGAIN, as if the previous five years haven't told you he can't handle a starters workload

The fact that they called around and no one bit should either tell you that no one even wanted them for free OR they had the gall to ask for something useful or to take on money. Either way that should give you a hint that the only one who thinks Hicks can do ANYTHING is Cashman

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

camoseven posted:

Well the last guy to do it was Ted Williams

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

His most similar comps according to B-R are almost exclusively guys that played or came up in the deadball era (from both MLB and Negro Leages)... and Tony Gwynn.

He's got a shot. Ichiro's highest in the MLB was .372, for context.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Poque posted:

we got swept by the Marlins but didn't cede any ground to the Cardinals? silver linings
you’re welcome

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Cubs have the same run differential as the Braves :unsmith:

and four fewer wins :smith:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

N: https://twitter.com/jonweisman/status/1652535660807589888

V: Still the best pitcher on this team, just daring me to dream about one more elite, healthy season.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Julio Cruz posted:

his BABIP is .452

yes that's generally what happens with guys that have a high average

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

yes that's generally what happens with guys that have a high average

literally one player has finished a season with that high a BABIP ever (in 1871)

so no, it's not "generally what happens"

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

What a weird first month in baseball. Can’t wait to see what happens in May. As a pirates fan, I’m looking forward to a challenging month and a chance to prove everyone this isn’t a lucky start. Rays, Blue Jays, Rockies, Orioles, Tigers, Diamondbacks, Rangers, Mariners, Giants. Lots of killers in that lineup.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

My prediction for the season: regression to the mean.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Julio Cruz posted:

literally one player has finished a season with that high a BABIP ever (in 1871)

so no, it's not "generally what happens"

I mean yes not literally that high but people always act like BABIP will normalize to .300 or whatever but that's rarely true. Context matters, and quality of contact is a big difference maker. Williams had a .378 BABIP in '41 and a career BABIP of .328 (.333 if you remove his age 40+ seasons). Arraez had a career BABIP of .336 going into this season. It's not a stretch to wonder if he can put together a cool baseball thing.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

I mean yes not literally that high but people always act like BABIP will normalize to .300 or whatever but that's rarely true. Context matters, and quality of contact is a big difference maker. Williams had a .378 BABIP in '41 and a career BABIP of .328 (.333 if you remove his age 40+ seasons). Arraez had a career BABIP of .336 going into this season. It's not a stretch to wonder if he can put together a cool baseball thing.

no I think people generally act like BABIP will normalise to a player's career numbers and when it does for Arraez he's not even gonna sniff .400

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Tony Gwynn's BABIP in 94 when he hit .394 was .389 and his career BABIP was .341.

It is entirely possible, even likely, Arreaz could get around .400, even with regression.

FootballFreak2
Jan 8, 2023

Mariners had a fluke season and a lot of fans forgot they were the mariners, and the team is back to normal now

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Julio Cruz posted:

no I think people generally act like BABIP will normalise to a player's career numbers and when it does for Arraez he's not even gonna sniff .400

you should read an entire post before responding to it imho

FootballFreak2
Jan 8, 2023

FootballFreak2 posted:

Mariners had a fluke season and a lot of fans forgot they were the mariners, and the team is back to normal now

And don't let this series vs Oakland fool you

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Poque posted:

The Cubs are playing 4 games under their pythag, which makes them the single unluckiest team in baseball. The Marlins are playing 5 games over their pythag, which makes them the single luckiest team in baseball.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

FootballFreak2 posted:

28 games is probably too early for things like this.

12-16 after a pretty rough schedule in April with a lot of slumping between Julio/Ty/Teo/Cal. Wong looks like he might slowly be remembering how to play baseball.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them 3 or 4 games over .500 heading into June with the way May is shaping up.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Nodoze posted:

They refuse to acknowledge a sunk cost and just get rid of Hicks and Donaldson. IKF is playing CF for fucks sake. The rotation is kind of a mess but that happens when you rely on Luis Severino AGAIN, as if the previous five years haven't told you he can't handle a starters workload

The fact that they called around and no one bit should either tell you that no one even wanted them for free OR they had the gall to ask for something useful or to take on money. Either way that should give you a hint that the only one who thinks Hicks can do ANYTHING is Cashman

They refuse to eat any money to dump useless players. I think they really thought that Donaldson would have a bounceback season lol. They clearly have no faith in Hicks.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I don't know what BABIP is and I refuse to learn

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

mdemone posted:

Big At-bats + balks/innings pitched

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Inexplicably the Rangers are still first in their division

Wild rear end season, already way above expectations

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

mdemone posted:

Bonus Attack Bats Inside Plate

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Shinjobi posted:

Inexplicably the Rangers are still first in their division

Wild rear end season, already way above expectations

It's funny cause the Rangers have been on a spending spree signing big FA's but everyone just assumed they would still be awful. Maybe they actually are legitimately good?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Popete posted:

It's funny cause the Rangers have been on a spending spree signing big FA's but everyone just assumed they would still be awful. Maybe they actually are legitimately good?

This goes beyond baseball but I think people in Dallas are just used to big FA signings blowing up in their faces

deGrom at least we went into knowing full well how his seasons tend to go

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
https://twitter.com/KickliySPORTS/status/1653063985757839361

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

mdemone posted:

Busting rear end on Balls in Play

What you really want is high BABIP with low TOOTBLAN. You tend to see a lot of overlap with GRIT.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I ran out of room on my shelf, so I reorganized my bobbleheads to only include 2016 and 2023 Cubs.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

mdemone posted:

A vengeful god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Shinjobi posted:

This goes beyond baseball but I think people in Dallas are just used to big FA signings blowing up in their faces

deGrom at least we went into knowing full well how his seasons tend to go

Oh god I just remembered Chan Ho Park