Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I would love to one day get to play or even just take BP on a major league field and I feel like if you showed up to an A's game early in the next few years they might just let a random fan hit BP pre-game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

maffew buildings posted:

The cost of two front row seats at O.co is whatever two bleacher seats is and you can bring whatever you want AND run the bases. Talk about fan friendly experience!

:hmmyes:

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Red posted:

What would you say is the average overall amount you'd drop for 2 seats at a ballgame? Include concessions and parking.

I mean, I flew to Detroit from the UK last time I went to see the Tigers so I'd already shelled out a fair amount, but I set an absolute upper limit of $50 for a ticket and spread them round the ballpark as best I could

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Popete posted:

I would love to one day get to play or even just take BP on a major league field and I feel like if you showed up to an A's game early in the next few years they might just let a random fan be the starting pitcher.

Llyr
Mar 24, 2010

Music is the best
Is there a deep dive anywhere (text or video) on how the A's came to be in their current situation?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Can hardly be worse than Kaprielian

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Popete posted:

I would love to one day get to play or even just take BP on a major league field and I feel like if you showed up to an A's game early in the next few years they might just let a random fan hit BP pre-game.

I've actually been on the field at the Coliseum (because it was fireworks night and they just let you)

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Tayter Swift posted:

Honestly why even play the game. Have the As forfeit and make every game day a Fan Day with the visiting team instead. Go down to the field, meet the players, maybe watch them have a little Home Run Derby, let the kids run the basepaths and play catch with the stars. I'm sure it would have better attendance, give traveling teams a respite between road series and be a lot more fun for everyone.

But then we'd miss the chance to see them beat the Braves.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

more falafel please posted:

I've actually been on the field at the Coliseum (because it was fireworks night and they just let you)

That sounds cool, I'm surprised they let people on the field at all. The closest I've come is playing on a spring training field in Arizona. I hit a double down the 1st base line at Goodyear Ballpark, that was pretty neat and I think of it whenever I watch Guardians/Reds spring training games.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Llyr posted:

Is there a deep dive anywhere (text or video) on how the A's came to be in their current situation?

I would like to see it too but I think people are waiting for the patient to expire before doing the autopsy.

**like you listen to people that have been following this team religiously on twitter and they talk about behind the scenes deal making / breaking and decisions that were made back in 2010.. this has been more than a decade in developing into the absolute tire fire that it has become now. Some of them blame the giants for loving the A's up on their previous stadium attempts in the bay area and secretly plotting to force the A's out of their territory but that may just be fan rivalry level bullshit.

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 31, 2023

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

I did this at a Dodgers game. Pretty cool!

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Llyr posted:

You mean like why the team is so bad, or why they are trying to move out of Oakland?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Starsfan posted:

I would like to see it too but I think people are waiting for the patient to expire before doing the autopsy.

**like you listen to people that have been following this team religiously on twitter and they talk about behind the scenes deal making / breaking and decisions that were made back in 2010.. this has been more than a decade in developing into the absolute tire fire that it has become now. Some of them blame the giants for loving the A's up on their previous stadium attempts in the bay area and secretly plotting to force the A's out of their territory but that may just be fan rivalry level bullshit.
I mean the Giants absolutely ARE loving the A's by enforcing their absurd territorial claims to San Jose (a claim that only exists because the previous owner of the A's gave it to the previous owner of the Giants in order to keep the Giants from moving to Florida), but that's not the primary source of issues. A competent owner could have reached a deal a decade ago to build a new modern park at the existing O.Co site. If he were smart he probably could have negotiated a deal to get the land cheap, then do a bunch of lucrative private development around the stadium since it's well located for transit.

Llyr posted:

Some day Marc Carig will probably write a book about it.

cliff notes from a non-A's fan:

In 1995 the city of Oakland agreed to build Mt Davis to expand football capacity at the O.Co in order to lure the Raiders back to Oakland. This hosed up the stadium for baseball significantly.

Through essentially dumb luck, the current billionaire fail-son owner of the A's (heir to the Gap fortune, John Fisher) inherited Billy Beane as GM when he bought the team in 2005. This put the A's at the leading edge of baseball front office innovation for a good decade, but not as a result of deliberate choices by ownership. So Fisher was able to get away with a bare-bones budget for a long time while maintaining a competitive team that drew fans despite no investment in stadium upkeep nor team payroll.

Being a billionaire failson, Fisher expected the usual perks: gently caress you pay me. He expected the city of Oakland to cough up cash to build him a fancy new stadium, and assumed he could use the threat of relocation to extract this. This is the standard MLB playbook since the Selig era of course, but this failson wasn't all that adept at executing it. So more than a decade into this slow-motion failure, he's trying to get emergency sessions of the Nevada state legislature to approve last-minute slapped together plans for a stadium in Vegas.

There have surely been failures on the part of local Oakland political leadership, but I kinda don't care about those and think the billionaire failson should be expected to build his own loving stadium anyway.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 19:22 on May 31, 2023

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

My sister and her family visited over the CANADIAN MAY 2-4 weekend this year and on Sunday's its JR JAYS SUNDAYS and her kids got to run the bases after the game. I got to go down on the field and it was rad, but I could not run the bases (my brother in law did cause his youngest needed "help").

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

maffew buildings posted:

The cost of two front row seats at O.co is whatever two bleacher seats is and you can bring whatever you want AND fight Anthony Rendon. Talk about fan friendly experience!

You don't even need seats above the dugout to heckle players, you can do it from the nosebleeds!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Is there any good food in Dodger Stadium? Going to Yankees/Dodgers sunday.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

camoseven posted:

I did this at a Dodgers game. Pretty cool!

I almost got to at a Dodgers game, but it was a sellout (4th of July actually), and we were way up in the Loge, so by the time we got down to field level they had cut it off.

The A's game I went to last September did not have that problem.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

oh man, between Bobby Miller starting Sunday and mcmagic in the house I kinda wish I was going to that game now

There is adequate food in Dodger stadium but it's not standout, it's all very generic. Instead you should plan your day to take advantage of some much better food in the area outside the stadium. You can bring outside food to the game as long as it's in a transparent bag. Or just fill up pre-game.

What is your gameday transit plan?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

bawfuls posted:

oh man, between Bobby Miller starting Sunday and mcmagic in the house I kinda wish I was going to that game now

There is adequate food in Dodger stadium but it's not standout, it's all very generic. Instead you should plan your day to take advantage of some much better food in the area outside the stadium. You can bring outside food to the game as long as it's in a transparent bag. Or just fill up pre-game.

What is your gameday transit plan?

This is what I thought. I'll just eat before.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Get a Dodger Dog

(I don't actually know what a Dodger Dog is or what makes it different than any other hot dog it's just the only thing I know specific to Dodger Stadium)

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

it's just a hot dog

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Popete posted:

Get a Dodger Dog

(I don't actually know what a Dodger Dog is or what makes it different than any other hot dog it's just the only thing I know specific to Dodger Stadium)

I've had one before. It's just a regular hot dog lol

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

one of my friends got to chill on the field at fenway during bp because he helped mookie with a bunch of bowling stuff during the offseason.

they do a tour every hour but the expensive one only lets you stand on the warning track. doesn't count. i think you get to go inside the monster though. should do that some day.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Popete posted:

Get a Dodger Dog

bawfuls posted:

it's just a hot dog

Yeah I got one because I'm a sucker for doing The Thing. It's a pretty generic hot dog, skinnier and longer than regular hot dogs but not particularly Good.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Anyone get any of the fancy new food at Wrigley? If I eat at the park I usually just get a grill dog before concession lines get too long but I'd try the chicken bao or quesabirria taco.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I want to go to Camden or Oracle because I think they both do lobster/crab stuff. I'm pescatarian which means there is almost never anything interesting to eat at ballparks that isn't just french fries or some incredibly bland veggie dog.

Although I love a giant soft pretzel.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

mcmagic posted:

This is what I thought. I'll just eat before.
go to Guisados on Sunset if you can

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Popete posted:

I want to go to Camden or Oracle because I think they both do lobster/crab stuff. I'm pescatarian which means there is almost never anything interesting to eat at ballparks that isn't just french fries or some incredibly bland veggie dog.

Although I love a giant soft pretzel.

I was disappointed, to say the least, that the "crab fries (#ShowUsYourCrabFries)" in Philly are just fries with Old Bay on them and a cheese dipping sauce. Like they're decent fries, but I wanted some crab poutine or something.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

bawfuls posted:

I did this too!! It was good!!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

I was disappointed, to say the least, that the "crab fries (#ShowUsYourCrabFries)" in Philly are just fries with Old Bay on them and a cheese dipping sauce. Like they're decent fries, but I wanted some crab poutine or something.

That's some BS, that's up there with the local sushi place that advertised crab in their roll and it was fake crab (although supposedly they also mixed in real crab but I kinda don't believe the fake crab would overpower any real crab you add).

False crab advertising is a crime.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

bawfuls posted:

Being a billionaire failson, Fisher expected the usual perks: gently caress you pay me. He expected the city of Oakland to cough up cash to build him a fancy new stadium, and assumed he could use the threat of relocation to extract this. This is the standard MLB playbook since the Selig era of course, but this failson wasn't all that adept at executing it. So more than a decade into this slow-motion failure, he's trying to get emergency sessions of the Nevada state legislature to approve last-minute slapped together plans for a stadium in Vegas.

Yeah this is the most bizarre aspect of this, some people are talking like "Fisher never wanted to stay in Oakland, he was just going through the motions with Oakland to see if they would give him a stadium for free while secretly wanting to move to Vegas for years now"... but his team had done literally 0 groundwork in Vegas before March.. like they didn't have any of the studies done, they didn't even have a site picked out (and still may flip flop on the one they claim to be moving forward on now)...

Both parties to the negotiations seem to agree that the team and the City of Oakland were only 80 million apart on a deal to develop a new ballpark.. it was between the City putting in 400 million and the A's were asking for 480 million.. then all of a sudden he called off negotiations and made what appears to be a snap decision to go full hog on the Vegas angle which had previously just been a abstract threat to leverage more money out of Oakland.. and now he's taking a worse deal in Vegas than what was offered to him in Oakland.. he must have had one of those billionaire moments where one of the insects that was negotiating for the City made the mistake of going against him so he threw a tantrum and is now on a mindset of anywhere but Oakland.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

bawfuls posted:

thanks for the rec. I'll try it if I can.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Starsfan posted:

Yeah this is the most bizarre aspect of this, some people are talking like "Fisher never wanted to stay in Oakland, he was just going through the motions with Oakland to see if they would give him a stadium for free while secretly wanting to move to Vegas for years now"... but his team had done literally 0 groundwork in Vegas before March.. like they didn't have any of the studies done, they didn't even have a site picked out (and still may flip flop on the one they claim to be moving forward on now)...

Both parties to the negotiations seem to agree that the team and the City of Oakland were only 80 million apart on a deal to develop a new ballpark.. it was between the City putting in 400 million and the A's were asking for 480 million.. then all of a sudden he called off negotiations and made what appears to be a snap decision to go full hog on the Vegas angle which had previously just been a abstract threat to leverage more money out of Oakland.. and now he's taking a worse deal in Vegas than what was offered to him in Oakland.. he must have had one of those billionaire moments where one of the insects that was negotiating for the City made the mistake of going against him so he threw a tantrum and is now on a mindset of anywhere but Oakland.
I also think that they are going to really regret being in Las Vegas by the time that they actually get to open a new stadium there in 2027 or whatever

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

That's what crab fries always are, sorry!! You want fries with crab dip which is a different thing. Source: lived in Baltimore for a while.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
https://twitter.com/TSwaggerty_21/status/1663757525471166464?s=20

anyway this is fuckin insane and I hope she gets better!!!

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Can you buy a passport book at any MLB park?

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

R.D. Mangles posted:

Anyone get any of the fancy new food at Wrigley? If I eat at the park I usually just get a grill dog before concession lines get too long but I'd try the chicken bao or quesabirria taco.

The bleachers have all the best food now. One of the few places in the city you can still get Hot Doug's.

In the main concourse, I look for a flat-top grill and usually get a polish sausage with onions and peppers.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
Lance Lynn doesn't have his best stuff anymore so he's mostly had to rely on location. He didn't have good location today either.

https://twitter.com/would_it_dong/status/1663972434167603203
https://twitter.com/would_it_dong/status/1663987545619963906?s=20

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Just want to say it's really cool that after Morel broke homerun records upon his callup, he is now relegated to being behind Miles Mastrobuoni on the depth chart. This is a smart organization and David Ross knows what he's doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
40 wins bay bay