Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Judgy Fucker posted:

Hi fantasy football thread, I do not follow the NFL at all (college guy) but I’m tired of being the only person in my social circle who doesn’t play fantasy football so I’m diving in this year. I see a bunch of resources in the OP, I will take a look at those but wanted to ask:

What is one (or two, or whatever) piece of advice you’d give a total neophyte for their first draft? Thanks in advance.

I started playing FF for the same reason as you, except that at the time I had never watched a football game other than a Superbowl here and there (and I was only there to hang out).
The first year I auto-drafted and basically had the internet manage my team. Second year I actually recognized some of the players and I drafted myself. From there I just started slowly learning more, watching more games, reading and so on until eventually I won a championship.

Some random advice in no particular order:
-There is a some skill involved but it all comes down to luck. You can read every article, make every "right" decision, spend hours looking at stats and still lose.
-Stay involved in the waiver wire, setting up your team, and considering trades. You can actually turn a bad season around or keep improving a winning team.
-If you will be playing again with the same people it is best to offer win-win trades or at least make offers that aren't insulting. You might fleece someone once but then they won't ever want to trade again. People value players differently and might have other needs so you can actually win on a trade.
-Pay attention to the league rules, especially if it is normal, PPR (point per reception), or Half PPR. PPR shifts the value of players towards pass catching backs and WRs with more targets as opposed to pure RBs and long stretch WRs.
-IMO it is not worth it to pay attention to BYE weeks when drafting, you can worry about that during the season.
-Try not to draft too many players from the same teams. While it could work out it could also tank your season. If for example, you had a QB, WR and RB from the same team and the QB got injured that would make the whole offence worse and you'd be down 3 players.
-TE, K and DST are mostly a crapshoot unless you have a top 3 TE, so usually it is better to just throw a dart during the season until you find a serviceable one. Only one person will have Kelce and most other will be playing the TE roulette.
-Good player IRL does not necessarily mean good FF player. Justin Fields last season was pretty bad/average passing but he had some insane runs and you could get him off the waiver wire during the first half of the season. This year he is now going as a top 5-8 QB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

IIRC Andrews started really well last year and then he fell of a cliff. I also had Hock in another league and he won me a couple of weeks with insane numbers but most other games he did nothing noteworthy.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Got pick #1 in PPR snake draft, who do I start with, JJ?

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Cool, ty.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Well, this is my draft. Let's see how it goes.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Cat Hassler posted:

Looks good! Especially if Geno is even better with new weapons

Yeah, I'm a Seattle fan so I wanted to take at least one player and I think last year wasn't a fluke. If it doesn't work out I can always find someone on the WW.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Scruffy the janitor posted:

I know it's PPR but chubb and jacobs coming all the way back is insane. How many teams?

10 teams
Went:
1- JJ
20- Chubb
21- Jacobs
40- Allen
41- Andrews

Feel like I got some great value this draft.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

It's a 10 team so you get better teams overall, but 3-4 of the the owners are bad at drafting and a few more said they didn't have time to prepare this year.
Also, they always panic when a QB is taken early by one of the bad owners so they go on a QB run which frees up value at RB and WR. This draft went my way too because Andrews was still available at the 4-5 turn so then they went on a TE run after I picked him, freeing even more value to come back to me.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Yeah, he was on my "do not draft" list as well.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

DSTs are very unpredictable during the first 3 or 4 weeks anyway.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

One one hand, I started Geno. On the other, I also started Dallas.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

My league just started using FAAB this season, any advice for it? What % would you give for Allgier?

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I got both Puka 33% and Williams 20%. Think I messed up my claims because I had Allgier first but he went for 20%.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I'm gonna puka.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Turns out my league's first year with FAAB everyone is very conservative so out of $150 I got Puka for 50 and Kyren for 30 last week, and this week Ford for 51 (after losing Chubb). So while I'm almost out of FAAB now it's looking like it will be worth it.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

As a Seahawks fan I think JSN will be great IRL but I don't see him being fantasy relevant/reliable this season unless DK or Lockett get injured. I actually avoided Seahawks receivers this year because there are too many mouths to feed.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Who would you rather have in 10 team PPR?

Herbert
or
Spears

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Yeah, lol. Realized kinda late I meant Spears. And it is K. Herbert.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

EconDad posted:

I've also done the Tajae Sharp(e) thing too with him. Brings back excellent (no) memories of Sharp. Same team too, if I recall.

Man, I don't know. I'd have to know what your team looks like and your bench and... all of that. Spears is good for the chance Henry goes down -- but has stand-alone value too (barely so far). Khalil is tough because he has stand-alone value but it's low, but could be big on just one run in any given game. If Roschon gets injured Herbert will be the main guy. I mean, there's Foreman too, but it doesn't seem like he'll be much unless both are injured.

It's close. I guess I'd like to have both. Yep, the best non-answer in town.
RB: Jacobs and Kyren
WR: JJ and Allen
Flex: Puka
Bench: Godwin, Jeudy, Ford, Herbert, Monty.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Despite losing Chubb I somehow have the highest projection I've ever seen :monocle:
Can't wait for all my team to underperform.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Obviously this is the week I go against Fields.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I think I broke my league's record. My lowest scoring non-kicker player was K. Allen.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I'd rather have AR if it is 4PATD

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Drop Jeudy for Wilson?

Also lol, just got an offer of R. Stevenson for my Kyren.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Don't know why I trusted the Washington DST instead of leaving the acowboys in.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I lost JJ, Chubb and AR. My team is still pretty solid and Im 4-1 so not all is lost yet but I have no depth now and have to go back to streaming QBs.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Got Burrow off the wire. Do we think he's back? Or should I rather stream somebody else?

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Burrow or Russ? For streaming this week and ROS.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Should I drop Jeudy? Or keep him just in case he gets traded and doesn't suck?

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I'm going against a 2-4 team and obviously he has Oloukun and Kirk to start the week so now I'm in a 44 point hole.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

He's a LB, not an OL.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Who's a better hold?
Mitchell or Henderson?

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I'm up by 16 against the Eagles DST and Kittle. Not looking good...

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

If Kittle gets literally 0.5 points I lose :shepicide:

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I had Najee last year so I learned from experience.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I'm still holding him but he's probably the first to go if I need to drop anyone.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

My team is collectively collapsing. At least it was all during the same week.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Im going to be 6-4 with most points for. I've got JJ and Kyren W. hopefully coming back soon so my team should be pretty good.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Andrews and Burrow owner checking in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Are Andrews and/or Burrows droppable now? Might be able to grab other players before the games.