Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

| Website | Twitter | Discord |

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDWn9VlAeaI

What is Hawken?

Hawken is(/was) a free to play, indie developed Mech FPS that released in open beta in late 2012. It spent a very long time in beta, raised a ton of money, teased a movie, released a comic compilation, and fell apart. Then, it was bought by 505 Games, who attempted to revive Hawken - now subtitled Ascension, which then fell apart until the PC servers were taken down in 2017. The PS4 still has it running though, I believe! Hawken is like a lumbering, mech-interpreted version of Quake, but being a mech game, it has some game play changes in the service of the feel.

What is Hawken Reborn?

After Hawken died a slow death, 505 began working on a reboot, which is what we have here. Hawken Reborn is still free to play, but it's now a PvE looter shooter. There is no PvP yet, but the developers say that may come down the road once PvE is in a good place.

When will it be done?

Hard to say - in interviews and on the website, they indicate that their current plans extend approximately 18 months out from early access release on Steam, but whether that will mean "1.0", or if ongoing feedback changes those plans dramatically is hard to say.

How is it?

At time of release - not great. Tons of AI art everywhere, floaty movement and combat in a 'series' whose primary selling point heavily featured "weighty, grounded gameplay", weak combat feedback, and worse graphics than the original 10 year old game. In short, they released way too early. At least being this early means there's a lot of room to iterate on feedback, but as a starting point: not great.

Tell me more!

More will appear here once we all know more for sure! All I can say for now though is it's semi-story based, a looter shooter (think Borderlands), but it's free to play. They claim there'll be a story, featuring the cast of corporations and such that you may or may not remember from the game and comics (Prosk, Sentium, maybe even Crion?), and some of the same mechs as last time, and some new ones. Most of the information that is currently available out there can be found in an article on PCGamer.

Luigi Fusco posted:

It's a bit of a pivot, too. While the original Hawken was a multiplayer, PvP affair that saw you pilot your 20-foot steel contraptions across a variety of game modes, Hawken Reborn will be a purely single-player experience when it releases, with a co-op multiplayer mode "planned for a later date".

"By going PvE, it lowers the barrier to entry a little bit with people who might see a PvP game and get discouraged, just because they think they don't have the skill set needed to come in," said senior producer Brian Decker when I asked about the shift to single player, so 505 is "focusing on the PvE, the narrative, the world," at least for now.

But at launch, Hawken Reborn will have nine weapons, six missions, five mechs, and one player, with more of each to come as the game progresses along its early access development path, which Decker estimates will last "12 to 18 months". There's also a freeplay Patrol Mode that unlocks after a certain amount of missions, letting you gather resources and test loadouts outside of the main story.

The mechs—which function almost as character classes, each filling their own niche—can be tweaked and customised on a pretty granular level. Your mech chassis, as well as its weapons and thrusters, can be upgraded from level one through five, and modded according to a "tech skill tree" that will let you nudge them in a direction of your choosing.

Is there a roadmap?

There is!

Is there any reason to be worried this'll suck?

Yes.

Saturnine Aberrance fucked around with this message at 16:10 on May 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I thought the original hawken was neat but it didn’t really feel like you were in a big mech.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Neat, wishlisted on Steam.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
I wonder what the monetization structure will look like?

Hawken was long ago, was it cosmetic? I remember bobbleheads on the dashboard (which was a good idea lol)

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

I loved Hawken in its original form. I wouldn't ever play tons of it, but a couple of matches here and there were great for breaks from other larger games. I'm even more interested in PvE as I'm garbage in competitive forms these days. Bonus points if it plays great on a Steam Deck.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I would probably enjoy a PvE weighty mech shooter but it being a number-go-up game instead of something tighter is disappointing.

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

Revitalized posted:

I wonder what the monetization structure will look like?

Hawken was long ago, was it cosmetic? I remember bobbleheads on the dashboard (which was a good idea lol)

Hawken was mostly about cosmetics, yeah, and you could also use the currency to unlock mechs and upgrades (though iirc that shifted back and forth a lot due to the competing draws of more money and making players happy enough).

Here's what the PCGamer article said on it

PC Gamer - Joshua Wolens posted:

It's in the crafting and upgrade system that Hawken Reborn makes its money. Your new mechs, weapons, and other enhancements have to be crafted from schematics, a process that requires materials you'll gain during combat or—if you're so inclined—by purchasing them with real money.

505 is emphatic that Hawken Reborn will have "absolutely no paid loot boxes" and Fusco told me that "The foundational philosophy" of the game's monetisation system "was based on the premise of anything that a player can purchase using real money they must be able to play towards". So nothing—at least right now—is under lock and key behind a paywall. Instead, it's at "the very end of the funnel," meaning you can purchase the crafting materials you can't be bothered to grind for, letting you get your hands on your new toy a little more quickly.

That might end up being a bit different for cosmetics, or it might not. When I asked if the new game would adopt a different approach to monetising purely cosmetic upgrades—perhaps paywalling them—Fusco said that the design of that hadn't been "worked out yet". Although cosmetics were in the original Hawken and will, someday, be in Hawken Reborn, they aren't in this early version. "We've been focusing so much on just trying to get the core gameplay loop in there," explained Fusco.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I very much love Destiny and Warframe so another one of those would be cool, especially if it features stompy bots and gets coop.

Very limited content on beta launch is a little worrying I guess?

But we'll see. Since there's no buy-in I might as well try it out on Wednesday.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I liked Hawken but a big part of it was its visual stylings which this seems to have very little of. All the maps in the screenshots are generic brown landscapes as opposed to the also-brown megastructures you were fighting through. Also the HUD isn't as diegetically clunky and obstrusive, which is a big downgrade imo.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Hawken was fun when I played, it curious to see how this evolves.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

PvP Hawken is technically still availablw if you have a playstation.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

This is going to die even faster the second time around lol

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Why did the game fail the first time? I always hear nothing but positive things.

Orv
May 4, 2011

I said come in! posted:

Why did the game fail the first time? I always hear nothing but positive things.

The number of people who fondly remember arena shooters and the number of people who actually play arena shooters when someone makes a new attempt are very different. Hawken suffered similarly, just never enough people or money coming in.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

I said come in! posted:

Just never gained traction since there wasn't a huge market for what it offered, combined with slow updates, lovely borderline-P2W monetization, expensive ugly cosmetics, and long grinds

Hawken was a great core game and a terrible product, what they're turning it into looks like an asset flip cash grab

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Also keep in mind market saturation. There are literally more free to play or cheap games out there than there are people alive on earth (or possibly who have ever lived on earth combined) and so if you can't get your name to be a household one either by quality or marketing, you're toast. There are a lot of battle royale titles in the last 5 years that have been of allegedly amazing quality, but they just never attract the base to get enough whales to keep them afloat.

As good as I heard Hawken was every single time it came up, it was from the same couple of people and no one else, and I rarely ever saw it mentioned anywhere else.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

It's kinda rough this is arriving in a a similar time frame to Armored Core VI, the established mech franchise from a developer that's currently the games industry's sweetheart. These guys couldn't foresee that but... yikes.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Also keep in mind market saturation. There are literally more free to play or cheap games out there than there are people alive on earth (or possibly who have ever lived on earth combined) and so if you can't get your name to be a household one either by quality or marketing, you're toast. There are a lot of battle royale titles in the last 5 years that have been of allegedly amazing quality, but they just never attract the base to get enough whales to keep them afloat.
Yeah, also this. Hawken was released (back in 2012) in a market that has changed a lot over the last decade. CoD: Warzone, Fortnite, Genshin Impact, Warframe, Rocket League, Destiny 2... none of them existed back then and they've all risen to dominance alongside others in this market. Mech shooters are still niche, with maybe Gundam: Evolution and MechWarrior Online being the main competition on PC.

This is still a F2P product, it's just that they've done a 180° on what sort of players they're targeting. It's now all about solo PvE (with co-op coming once it leaves Early Access, supposedly within 12-18 months).

Updates will include new missions and mechs, so I don't know what they'll charge money for other than the obvious cosmetics.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I want an extraction shooter with mechs.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Honestly the lore of battletech kind of works for that even though the mechanics don't....

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Hawken probably suffered by looking like a stompy mech game but playing more like Unreal Tourney, I loved it to bits and have zero faith 505 isnt going to spike this baby into the ground super hard. Like at least wait until you have some pvp poo poo guys, what the hell.

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

Updated the OP with the roadmap they just posted:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
What a useless roadmap.

I hope this game is good, I didn't play Hawken very much but I did enjoy it. I think the shift to a PVE focused game is a good one, there is already a million F2P PVP games that it would be hard to compete with.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
My biggest concern with this, based off that roadmap and the info so far, is that this is going to launch with a pretty massive dearth of content and unless they've either got a wealth of it mostly completed in the pipe or have figured out how to make content much faster than any other developer these days this is going to be dead before coop even launches.

That said, Warframe launched in a fairly similar state and look at it now, one of the best F2P games out there of all time.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Game's out, yo.

Edit: There are infantry but you can't step on them. 0/10 dead game.

raverrn fucked around with this message at 10:17 on May 17, 2023

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Game is very self-aware, it even has a lore reason for why the protagonist is silent.
Story/Cutscenes are comic-book slideshows, the way they did it reminded me of Everspace 2 in a way.
Performance is good, it's UE4 after all.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Trip report: Hit an infinite load screen in the fourth or so mission? Killed the process and relaunched, and now it launches into a tutorial I already completed and softlocks immediately.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Apparently the cheapest MTX pack gives 1100 currency but the cheapest mech is 1179. Just really making the nickle and diming obvious.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Reviews I saw said that it had equipment and in mission revives available to purchase with real cash. In a single player game.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Charging real money for stuff in a prerelease state is pretty lol. Give people virtual currency per diems if you want to gauge the cash flow.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I'm not surprised in the least. Hopefully the game itself is good I guess. Saw some of reviews stating they burned through most of the content in like an hour? Hopefully those are exaggerations.

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

To be devil's advocate, it's also literally day 1 of an early access game.

To advocate less for the devil - they'd've been better served referring to it as the alpha that it is, and let it cook for at least a few more months before putting it on Early Access - but it's not like this is intended to be final content.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if they felt like they had to move the timetable up because of Armored Core 6, but I can't imagine waiting till, like, AC6 had been out for half a year wouldn't have been just as good or better.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I have not played AC but I did watch a 2 hour retrospective on the series and beyond stompy bots I honestly don't see them competing in the same market if you're familiar with them.

But I could totally see that.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Saturnine Aberrance posted:

To be devil's advocate, it's also literally day 1 of an early access game.

To advocate less for the devil - they'd've been better served referring to it as the alpha that it is, and let it cook for at least a few more months before putting it on Early Access - but it's not like this is intended to be final content.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if they felt like they had to move the timetable up because of Armored Core 6, but I can't imagine waiting till, like, AC6 had been out for half a year wouldn't have been just as good or better.

It’s day one of an early access game from a studio that, I don’t think, has done anything else since the previous version of this game collapsed years ago. If this isn’t just one or two people with the rights trying to shovel out a quick buck they have massively wasted their time not releasing with more than a couple hours content.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

this is actually worse than i expected, and i only installed it to see how bad it could be

it legitimately feels like a fuckin mobile game lmao

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Phrosphor posted:

Reviews I saw said that it had equipment and in mission revives available to purchase with real cash. In a single player game.

yeah never mind i'm not even going to give this game a chance.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

the menus don't even work but you can already spend real money for revives and equipment

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Mobile Mechstiny 2

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

only the finest quality AI generated art for our game

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Wheeee posted:

only the finest quality AI generated art for our game

Gross, could you have scripted a worse EA launch than this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
It looked kind of bland so I was gonna pass but now I kinda wanna give it a try to see how bad it is.