Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
Problem description: This started last week where my Windows 10 PC started crashing with BSODs suddenly, usually when watching streams online but also overnight when sitting doing nothing. The GPU driver was last updated in the first week of May, so was pretty sure it wasn't that since the first half of the month everything was fine. After running various checks and fixes, I narrowed it down today to it occurring when all four sticks of RAM are installed.
It threw various bugcheck errors at first, 0x0000007e, 0x0000003b, 0x0000001a, 0x00000139, 0x0000001e. Today with the fourth RAM stick in, it threw the 0x0000001a error - I uploaded the WinDbg analyze file here.

Attempted fixes: Ran chkdsk with nothing found, and a memory scan on reboot also with no errors found. Ran memtest86, CPU stress test, and GPU superposition test with all passing. Fully updated Windows and drivers. Updated motherboard BIOS. Reseated all components including cleaning and reapplying thermal paste to CPU area. Tried reinstalling Windows, but it wouldn't reinstall, so I went back to hardware checking. Removed all but one stick of RAM and rotated through the four individually in the first slot with no crashes, then went up to two sticks (no crashes), then three sticks (no crashes).

Recent changes: None other than what was done for troubleshooting attempts

--

Operating system: Windows 10 64-bit

System specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i RGB PLATINUM 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18
Video Card: MSI VENTUS OC GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB
Power Supply: Corsair RM850
Storage: Intel 660p M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME SSD 512GB , Samsung SSD 870 QVO 2TB, Samsung SSD 870 EVO 4TB, Kingston SV300S37A 240GB, Seagate Barracuda Green ST2000DL003 HDD 2TB
Extra: Magewell Pro Capture HDMI

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Since all the RAM sticks are fine, is this potentially a motherboard issue, or something else? I can provide minidmp files from the crashes if wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

KariOhki posted:

Since all the RAM sticks are fine, is this potentially a motherboard issue, or something else? I can provide minidmp files from the crashes if wanted.

Yes, it could be a bad RAM slot. Also, passing memtest isn't a 100% guarantee that the RAM is okay.

Although it's odd you can't reinstall W10. You have a lot of drives so it wouldn't hurt to run https://www.hdsentinel.com/download.php and check drive health.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

Zogo posted:

Yes, it could be a bad RAM slot. Also, passing memtest isn't a 100% guarantee that the RAM is okay..

With the computer running ~8 hours at a time with just one stick of RAM in at a time and 0 crashes, I figured each stick would be fine based on that.
Would a test of three RAM sticks in either a 2-3-4 or 1-2-4 configuration be fine to see if that fourth slot is causing the issue?

Zogo posted:

Although it's odd you can't reinstall W10. You have a lot of drives so it wouldn't hurt to run https://www.hdsentinel.com/download.php and check drive health.

This was the error that Windows gave me when trying to reinstall from USB - both on the "keep apps and data" and "keep only data" settings. Wasn't fully ready to do the full clean wipe so didn't attempt that after the two failures:

And the HD Sentinel run screen:

Which makes sense, that HDD is a hand-me-down of unknown age that's there for spare storage. Totally replaceable or removeable.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

KariOhki posted:

With the computer running ~8 hours at a time with just one stick of RAM in at a time and 0 crashes, I figured each stick would be fine based on that.
Would a test of three RAM sticks in either a 2-3-4 or 1-2-4 configuration be fine to see if that fourth slot is causing the issue?

I'd usually base the amount of time with zero crashes on how often the BSODs normally appear. But sporadic hardware errors can be very annoying in that a computer can have BSODs a few days in a row and then go weeks between another BSOD.

Yeah, you could try that and see what happens.

KariOhki posted:

This was the error that Windows gave me when trying to reinstall from USB - both on the "keep apps and data" and "keep only data" settings. Wasn't fully ready to do the full clean wipe so didn't attempt that after the two failures:

That has many causes. Bad RAM being one of them. Did you get the error using only one stick?

KariOhki posted:

And the HD Sentinel run screen:

Which makes sense, that HDD is a hand-me-down of unknown age that's there for spare storage. Totally replaceable or removeable.

Yeah, backup anything important on that one. I'd disconnect that one temporarily and see if you can get BSODs to show up with it disconnected.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

Zogo posted:

I'd usually base the amount of time with zero crashes on how often the BSODs normally appear. But sporadic hardware errors can be very annoying in that a computer can have BSODs a few days in a row and then go weeks between another BSOD.

They weren't super consistent, but at least three a day when they were happening. Sometimes could go 8 hours without one, other times I'd get two in 2 hours.

Zogo posted:

That has many causes. Bad RAM being one of them. Did you get the error using only one stick?

Never tried the Windows reinstall with less RAM plugged in as once I was testing that, I stopped getting BSODs.

Zogo posted:

Yeah, backup anything important on that one. I'd disconnect that one temporarily and see if you can get BSODs to show up with it disconnected.

But trying this now. Luckily wasn't a heavily used drive, and it's all backed up already and will get replaced with another drive eventually.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
Back with updates from trying everything in the last post.

1. Running the computer with all four RAM sticks after removing the old HDD still had it crash with a bugcheck error of 0x00000d1.

2. Removed one stick of RAM, but this time ran the computer in a 1-3-4 slot setup. No crashes in 24 hours.

3. Just to try it, did the Windows 10 reinstall keeping apps/data. It worked this time.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

KariOhki posted:

2. Removed one stick of RAM, but this time ran the computer in a 1-3-4 slot setup. No crashes in 24 hours.

I'd leave the RAM in that configuration for a few more days to make sure things remain stable. If they do then I'd take out all the RAM and just use the one currently unused RAM stick and see if you can get that to show a BSOD or verify that it will run for days without crashes as well. It'd be the best way to be confident all four sticks are okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
Sounds like a plan - I'll keep it like this until I need to shut the rig off while I'm on vacation for 12 days and pick the testing back up once I'm back. Thanks for all the help so far, I've gotten farther with you than other places I've asked!