Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Problem description: I have a large desktop monitor that I plug my laptop into at a desk (closing the laptop, using the monitor as the single/primary display). The monitor had previously worked for all uses. Recently--I believe after installing/using "GeForce Experience"--it works for standard use, most apps, most internet, and gaming, but not for streaming video from any website I've tried (Netflix, Paramount Plus, HBOMax) except for YouTube. When I try to stream video from those subscription sites, the screen goes completely black (though sound still plays) and no input (even force quit) seems to work to escape the black screen while laptop remains closed (although I can e.g. mute and unmute the sounds from keyboard). If I open the laptop, response is very sluggish until I unplug the monitor. Googling has a bunch of discussion of "monitor goes black when streaming Netflix," but the solutions have not worked, and I am not finding specific useful discussion related to GeForce Experience. The problem may be slightly different, too, in that my monitor can't keep Netflix open in a window, minimize to escape the problem, etc, but seems to become completely unresponsive immediately upon loading the site/video.

Attempted fixes: Googled, of course. Restarted computer, unplugged/replugged monitor cable, turned off hardware acceleration in browser, made sure browser was updated, tried downloading Paramount Plus and Netflix app rather than using a browser, tried to find useful settings in GeForce Experience.
edit: Netflix, Hulu, and HBO Apps seem to work. Paramount Plus App does not work, but perhaps because the app really just opens a browser window (per discussion online). The problem seems to be with streaming video from a browser, then?--and is much less important, now, though I'd still like to figure it out if possible. It is a problem from both Edge and Chrome browsers, though.

Recent changes: Installed and used GeForce Experience to allow me to play the Diablo IV "server slam" beta (initially received an error when trying to play)

--

Operating system: Windows 11 64-bit

System specs: Lenovo Legion 5 15ACH6
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800H with Radeon Graphics 3.20 GHz
Installed RAM 16.0 GB (13.9 GB usable)
AMD Radeon Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 Ti Laptop GPU

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Please let me know if I can provide any additional info. Thank you in advance!

onefish fucked around with this message at 21:34 on May 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Make sure W11 is fully updated.

You could also run DDU: https://www.wagnardsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4518 and the reinstall the latest GPU drivers.

Edge/Chrome are similar browsers so you could also try something like Firefox and see if that acts any differently.