Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
A useful list of magick and technicks found in chests.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

AFAIK the only "missable" skills at the point you're at in the game are Sleep and Infuse in the Dreadnought Leviathan, and if you miss them there they spawn in the Sandsea instead, so it just delays you getting them.

Techs
Shades of Black: Tomb of Raithwall - Cloister of Flame
Numerology: Lhusu Mines - Transitway 1
Infuse: Ogir-Yensa Sandsea - Platform 1 - East Tanks
Sight Unseeing: The Zertinan Caverns - Canopy of Clay - It's a passage that links Nam-Yensa to the Ogir Yensa.
Expose: Lhusu Mines - Site 9
Achilles: Garamscythe Waterway (Revisit) - No. 4 Cloaca Spur - Southeast segment and you need to have the water drained for it.
Bonecrusher: Henne Mines - Phase 1 Dig
Shear: Barheim Passage - The Zeviah Span
Stamp: Mosphoran Highwaste - Trail of Sky-Flung Stone & Rays of Ashen Light - Head to the far eastern side and find a weathered rock that should open up a path to the Rays area that holds the chest.
Charm: The Salikawood - Quietened Trace
Telekinesis: Cerobi Steppe - Old Elanise Road
Gil Toss: Draklor Laboratory - Room 7002 East (Floor 70)
1000 Needles: Sochen Cave Palace - Falls of Time
Revive: Paramina Rift - Spine of the Iceworm
Addle: Henne Mines - Special Charter Shaft - It's got a 10% chance for the chest to spawn. South side of the shaft and it's in the second passageway from the east side of the map. The passage isn't marked on the map.
Wither: Pharos Subterra - Abyssal - 10% chance to spawn hidden room on the north spot on the map.

Wither and Addle are good but don't go outta your way for em.

White Magic
Dispel: Tomb of Raitnwall - Royal Passage
Regen: Giza Plains (Rain) - Nomad Village
Renew: Henne Mines - Special Charter Shaft
Cleanse: Cerobi Steppe - The Terraced Bank - 20% chance to spawn chest. In the center of the room.
Dispelga: The Feywood - White Magick's Embrace
Protectga: Necrohol of Nabudis - Cloister of Distant Song
Bravery: Necrohol of Nabudis - Cloister of the Highborn
Faith: Necrohol of Nabudis - Hall of the Ivory Covenant
Shellga: Great Crystal - It is somewhere in there...
Holy: Pharos at Ridorana - Wellspring Ravel - 3rd Flight

Black Magic
Blind: Giza Plains (Dry) - Toam Hills
Poison: Dalmasca Estersands - Sand-swept Naze
Silence: Lhusu Mines - Shaft Entry
Sleep: Ogir-Yensa Sandsea - Platform 1 - East Tanks
Scathe: Lhusu Mines - Staging Area
Toxify: Barheim Passage — East-West Bypass
Blindga: Tchita Uplands — Fields of Eternity
Silencega: Nechrol of Nabudis - Cloister of the Highborn
Sleepga: Ancient City of Giruvegan — The Trimahla Water-Steps
Flare: Pharos at Ridorana — Spire Ravel - 1st Flight

Time Magic
Vanish: The Tomb of Raithwall — Royal Passage
Reflect: Ogir-Yensa Sandsea — Primary Tank Complex
Balance: Nam-Yensa Sandsea - Demesne of the Sandqueen
Haste: Eruyt Village - Fane of the Path
Countdown: Stilshrine of Miriam - Ward of Velitation
Reflectga: The Feywood — The Edge of Reason
Warp: Nabreus Deadlands — Lifeless Strand
Float: Tchita Uplands - Oliphzak Rise
Hastega: The Great Crystal - Somewhere

Green Magic
Clan Provisioner, nothing really found in chests

Arcane Magic
Death: Paramina Rift — Karydine Glacier
Ardor: Pharos at Ridorana — Spire Ravel - 2nd Flight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

I actually did a side-fiesta for once! And it led to me beating FF12 for the first time!

Good times.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Mega64 posted:

A useful list of magick and technicks found in chests.

The chest in 12 are so hilariously sink or swim.

Spoilers, maybe?

https://clips.twitch.tv/RenownedBrainyPastaThisIsSparta

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt
I’m not gonna have time to finish it before the deadline, I’ve just got to the treaty blade, but it’s been fun going back to 12 - it’s still a fairly middle of the pack entry in the FF games for me but I do like a lot of the characters and the hunts in particular, I just wish the dungeons weren’t so dull

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Was FF12 long? I didn't have time this month to even start it (which if you know me is a rarity for events), though I did write down my jobs before the page disappears so I could do it some other time (March maybe).

In better news, I've been eagerly waiting for this one:
https://twitter.com/FF5ForFutures/status/1762360093142888833

After this the only one I'm hoping for is FFIX I believe, and I think he hates that one even more than FF12 iirc so who knows.

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt
it's easily doable in the time - I think the critical path isnt really all that long if you just power through - I just like to do all the hunts & optional espers and some of those can really bog you down, plus I just didn't have as much free time I was expecting this month

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Yeah, I was doing all the hunts - and not really anything else - but gave up near the last section of the game and just went and finished it because otherwise trying to get it done was consuming practically all my free time this month.

I think I was up to like 45-50 hours.

vv Oh they're definitely the best part of the game, they just double the playtime.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Feb 27, 2024

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
FFXII hunts were my favorite part of the game tackling them as they became available instead of grinding. Really makes you focus on good gambits and utilize buffs/debuffs

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I finished ff12 in less than two weeks, including a good chunk of optional content

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

I'll definitely see about fitting it in after I fix my computer then!

Oh, Final Fantasy Legends II is up (I got Monster, Human, Robot, Monster. No Espers for me I guess). I watched a video about the differences in the NDS remake and they seem pretty significant, I'll probably just try the GB one this time.

https://twitter.com/FF5ForFutures/status/1763217813219820003

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I've played ffl2/saga 2 ds a half dozen times since i was a child and in each and every playthrough monster was complete deadweight, until this time. I got robot, monster and two espers and it's actually the espers that have been behind; i'm twelve hours in and i feel like i just now managed to turn the two of them around

Modoh
Jul 23, 2007
I think you can opt out of the larger changes in the DS remake. You can turn down assistance from the muses, and never use the threads of fate that trigger combos. My memory is telling me that doing so also gets rid of the new bosses and harder final boss, but I can't seem to find a good source online to confirm it.

It's a good remake, though.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/FF5ForFutures/status/1767703702054531330

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Lmao, dang some FFs I've never even heard of

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

Outstanding

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Took me longer than I care to admit to figure it out.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The first one was a king's tale, that should have set off alarm bells

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Mar 13, 2024

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Our good friend is back! :awesomelon:

Tips for Haniwa hunting:
Secret monster encounter on the very last floor (with Arsenal), rather low drop of a unique sword called Seven. If you have a LVL5 Monster (or better yet two from each available special Meat, at least glitchless) I recommended using a monster calculator to get SlimeGod. Even if you have to leave to get easier meat (LVL5 never goes lower), you can actually save on the escalators. Other monsters' Flare is good if you're doing enough overall damage with the rest of the characters but P-Blast is almost as good (Mana x9 vs x10), isn't limited to 5 (it's 15) and on top of that you have Dissolve (also 15) which, while it can miss, often does good damage and then heals if you want to, say, try and heal after a Haniwa Flare if you have no other choice. On top of that SlimeGod has Surprise so you have a chance to get a free turn at the beginning (funny enough this works on bosses. A sidenote, I've never seen an Ambush with Haniwa). Lich is good too, the other Flare monster types might be more interesting (Titania for Cures?) but be aware since they have less max HP that they have a higher chance of being one-shot by Flare (everyone will get one shot by default by Seven unless it misses). Maybe Treant for Life x3 if you don't mind the Monster being useless besides? Isis has Flare 5 near the bottom of her list which is slightly better than the Masmune, use it after one Aegis cast (if you need it for Quake) and then the Heart as needed (usually after a Flare, I saw her naturally heal up to full I think once maybe so you probably don't want to sit on it). If you have a fast whip user you can also use Blitz Whip if you want (interrupt actually works on, like, everything, with a 60% chance if you beat the monster's turn and it doesn't miss), but Haniwa has 90 Agility so good luck. Oh, there is the self-only Speed Up item from Port Town which is actually pretty decent (I tested it, it can boost it over 99, just be careful of overflows), and you can even lower Haniwa's stats with some moves (I used Sand on it repeatedly to bring it's Agl down to 2 and then Blitzed it with a rather poor team once after I did the Seven thing)... but it seems kinda ridiculous to bother with!

Oh! If you're totally sick of everything but you have a Monster, you can also just use Kusanagi's Critical and if you get a Mighty Blow (not even that rare) it'll instanty kill it. A little surprised that one worked but it actually does just give everything that's not actually a boss a weakness-like attack which may insta-kill them (I think, you can only get it at the end of the game really and it doesn't work on Arsenal during any point... I read Venus in the non-remake does have a weakness though so who knows, maybe it works on more if you glitch it or whatever) and at Str x8 besides. Here's a video I made:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8fAtZD-KPg

Doom Goon fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Mar 22, 2024

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Dragon Quest IV is up!

https://twitter.com/FF5ForFutures/status/1774550150175994199

This one I've actually beaten 100% or close enough on the DS (same with V), so I'm unsure how much I'll put into it. Except for some difficulty and localization stuff people like the DS/mobile version for all it adds and fixes, and there's apparently even a patch for the DS version (a couple actually) that you can find that adds the Japanese-exclusive Party Chat which was bizarrely removed in localization.

Doom Goon fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Apr 1, 2024

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

I tried the patch btw, the later one worked flawlessly. For this one a lot came rushing back to me (some bad!) but I actually overestimated how long it would take to do everything. Perhaps I was getting this one and DQV mixed up (no T'n'T board for instance)? Fast forward certainly helped, didn't have that luxury before. I enjoyed it although maybe not more than III? Maybe I'll regret saying that if I ever replay that one!

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Oops I forgot to play DQ4. Oh well maybe it'll come back around again sometime!

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

zzMisc posted:

Oops I forgot to play DQ4. Oh well maybe it'll come back around again sometime!
i beat it in like 20 hours fwiw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

It's odd that there are no remasters of the early Dragon Quest games available on PC. That seems like a real missed opportunity.