Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Fiesta season is almost upon us. I now have a job where I commute on the train 1h40 each way twice a week. Ergo, that should be one run a week half done just on the train.

Being able to toggle random encounters on/off is a real godsend in areas that just have a poo poo encounter table. FFV is almost a boss rush anyway.

Sad they nerfed bard strats on NED. The action tables being gone in the super bosses and NED is a real kick in the teeth though. Has anyone found out why they did that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

KataraniSword posted:

Time Mage is just White Mage without healing or protect (for the purposes of that fight).

Time Mage can punch the Ricard Mages for fire rods to snap if you're desperate.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

So the new Options sure are different. Has anyone figured out what the equivalent to #CHAOS is? It used to be, "Any Job From Any Crystal, With Duplicates, But No Mime Or Freelancer". Now, you have to choose Regular Run, Typhoon Run, Volcano Run, or Meteor Run, and those are:

Regular Run: Jobs Limited To Only What A Crystal Would Have
Typhoon Run: Any Job From Any Crystal; Wind And Water Jobs Will Be More Common
Volcano Run: Jobs Limited To What A Crystal Would Have, Plus Future Crystal Jobs. No Jobs From Previous Crystals. Fire And Earth Jobs Will Be More Common.
Meteor Run: Any Job From Any Crystal; Mime And Freelancer Available

Regular and Meteor don't have weighted chances for elemental jobs, but Regular is boring, and Meteor adds Mime.

Playing around with it on the free fiesta page, I think Typhoon is probably as close as it gets, but it's still not nearly as good, since it's weighted.

Bah! Stupid change! :corsair:

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Kyrosiris posted:

Time Mage can punch the Ricard Mages for fire rods to snap if you're desperate.

Or you can just grab the Ice Rod in Carwen.

Thief is the worst job to deal with Garula in a traditional run. If you're hacking in all classes Bards are weaker, more fragile, and slower, and they don't have access to any of their world-beating powers yet. On the other hand, at least you have the comfort of knowing you've got a Bard.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Ace Transmuter posted:

Or you can just grab the Ice Rod in Carwen.

I figure outside odds that was used to deal with Magissa, but yeah.

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

:hellyeah:

I'll probably do one normal run and then start a second one that I don't finish like every year. It's a great tradition, though - I'm very excited.

Hope I don't get Thief again.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Kheldarn posted:

So the new Options sure are different. Has anyone figured out what the equivalent to #CHAOS is? It used to be, "Any Job From Any Crystal, With Duplicates, But No Mime Or Freelancer". Now, you have to choose Regular Run, Typhoon Run, Volcano Run, or Meteor Run, and those are:

Regular Run: Jobs Limited To Only What A Crystal Would Have
Typhoon Run: Any Job From Any Crystal; Wind And Water Jobs Will Be More Common
Volcano Run: Jobs Limited To What A Crystal Would Have, Plus Future Crystal Jobs. No Jobs From Previous Crystals. Fire And Earth Jobs Will Be More Common.
Meteor Run: Any Job From Any Crystal; Mime And Freelancer Available

Regular and Meteor don't have weighted chances for elemental jobs, but Regular is boring, and Meteor adds Mime.

Playing around with it on the free fiesta page, I think Typhoon is probably as close as it gets, but it's still not nearly as good, since it's weighted.

Bah! Stupid change! :corsair:

I don't think Typhoon and Volcano are actually weighted per se, it's just that since there are six jobs on Wind and Water crystals and only five on Fire, four on Earth, picking randomly (for Typhoon) means every pick has a higher chance to be from the first two crystals. The weighting's automatic in that sense. Likewise, for Volcano, since you can't get jobs from previous crystals, the odds are stacked towards the jobs from the last two crystals.

I could be wrong, but that's what makes intuitive sense to me. Typhoon with dupes on is equivalent to a Chaos run, in that case.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Android Blues posted:

I don't think Typhoon and Volcano are actually weighted per se, it's just that since there are six jobs on Wind and Water crystals and only five on Fire, four on Earth, picking randomly (for Typhoon) means every pick has a higher chance to be from the first two crystals. The weighting's automatic in that sense. Likewise, for Volcano, since you can't get jobs from previous crystals, the odds are stacked towards the jobs from the last two crystals.

I could be wrong, but that's what makes intuitive sense to me. Typhoon with dupes on is equivalent to a Chaos run, in that case.

typhoon is the old random. you get 4 chances to roll a wind job, 3 chances to roll a water job, 2 chances to roll a fire job and 1 shot at an earth job.
volcano is the reverse: earth jobs can be rolled from all 4 crystals, fire from 3, water from 2, wind from 1.

The closest thing to chaos is meteor with dupes but it's not quite the same since freelancer and mime are thrown in the mix.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Android Blues posted:

dis astranagant posted:

typhoon is the old random. you get 4 chances to roll a wind job, 3 chances to roll a water job, 2 chances to roll a fire job and 1 shot at an earth job.
volcano is the reverse: earth jobs can be rolled from all 4 crystals, fire from 3, water from 2, wind from 1.

The closest thing to chaos is meteor with dupes but it's not quite the same since freelancer and mime are thrown in the mix.

Thank you both! Looks like I'm going to try Typhoon BERSERKER!

CourtlyHades296
May 17, 2021
My first official run of 2023 will be a Typhoon run on the Fiesta Patch. My second run after that will be on real SNES hardware.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
RK has a new help file to describe how to register:

https://www.fourjobfiesta.com/NewHelp.html

Has anyone figured out linking your old Twitter handle/run history to the new Google sign-on?

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
I might do Meteor + Upgrade since I’ve not tried that before.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

This will be my first Fiesta and my second time playing FF5 (first time was in February) so I'm just gonna do a regular run.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I will try out both of the new run types, starting with a BERSERKERRISK Typhoon run.

CourtlyHades296
May 17, 2021
Onion is also a new run type that's worth trying out.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Any good Fiesta-related (or not) mods for Pixel Remaster yet?

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

CourtlyHades296 posted:

Onion is also a new run type that's worth trying out.

What is left out of the set? Not a ton, right?

Blue Mage
Time Mage
Mystic Knight
Berserker (unless they count Viking)
Beastmaster
Samurai
Dancer
Chemist

So... all the best jobs, basically. Except Bard, anyway.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

All of the gba jobs, and mime too

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Here's my Sword of Mana run, didn't finish it before the new thread. I thought it was... actually pretty okay?, certainly not the worst Brownie Brown game. There's some stiltedness and bugs and whatnot but it was fine. Really the only issue was that it was far too easy, and all the added remake quest stuff just increases the backtracking and crafting. I didn't even craft any armor and weapons and still only had the slightest difficulty in a couple parts. I'll probably do the original GameBoy version if this one pops up on a mini-Fiesta so I can compare! Oh, I also used the mGBA multiplayer thing so I even got the trade-only Quest and cards, making it mostly a 100% run.

Oh, weirdly I remembered stopping this one at the Heroine's Airship the last time I played it thinking it got really difficult (it doesn't). I'm wondering if the weapon/magic defense system caught me up the first time.

CourtlyHades296
May 17, 2021
Natural Fifth Job is something that exists now. If you select it, Krile will be her own job separate from Galuf's job.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

If.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Also if I'm reading it correctly, Fifth Job in general now lets you pick which job gets replaced, and Advance Jobs has been changed to work similarly rather than having its own unique per-crystal job pool.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Time for my annual exploration of "If you had to make 5 teams using each core crystal job once, how would you go about it."

In the years I've refined my thinking a bit. Synergy is the name of the game; mitigating the worst jobs by pairing them with the right jobs. Monk loves Chemist, Berserker loves Bard, Red Mage loves anything that can cast, etc. So certain groupings are pretty much set in stone:

Blue Mage & Beastmaster - This is the classic sweet pairing. !Control makes Learning even the hardest Blue Magic fairly trivial.

Chemist & Monk - Monk is pretty terrible mid-to-late game... unless you have an easy way to boost their level. It's more than covering for Monk's weakness... it's turning her into a powerhouse.

Berserker & Bard - I will contend to my grave that Equip Harps is the best thing to give to a Zerk. They're slow and their crappy magic makes it hard to take advantage of their best weapons. Equip Harps is the only way to increase both Agility and Magic.

Red Mage & Summoner - I think Summoner is the best pair for a Red Mage; worst case you're getting three summons per round from just half the party with the highest possible Magic stat. Hard to lose when you've got that.

These can form the platform for four out of the five jobs. The rest is playing with synergies elsewhere.

Team 1) Blue Mage, Beastmaster, Dragoon, Mystic Knight
Blue Mage can rock !Spellblade for even greater offensive versatility, and everyone else can rock !Blue. Honestly, !Blue is probably the best skillset to give a Dragoon; Heavy Armor and !Jumping over danger makes them an ideal White Wind healer if nothing else. Swap in !Capture/!Release when it's time to unleash the Pokemon cannons. Someone can also !Jump with the Chicken Knife, if you're looking to dodge the flee chance.

Team 2) Chemist, Monk, Dancer, Black Mage
Drunken Monk is a well-explored subject and just a murder machine. Black Mage is there to fill in the gaps offensively during the middle game, and Dancer is here as the obligatory Chicken Knife wielder (you can just use !Focus if !Dance isn't playing nicely either).

Team 3) Berserker, Bard, White Mage, Ninja
A Berserker is a slow if moderately powerful weapon. A Berserker with Equip Harps is a much faster earthquake generating monster. Ninja can Equip Axe, !White, !Sing, depending on whether you need them to have stronger physical attacks (the Str boost from Equip Axe is worth it alone), !Throw scrolls with extra magic damage, or just be a backup Bard, which is never a bad thing to have. White Mages with !Throw are solid early-mid game damager dealers as well.

Team 4) Red Mage, Summoner, Geomancer, Knight
Basically, a Summoner, a Summoner, a Double-Summoner, and a babysitter. !Gaia is there for the dungeons it's great for to keep your MP consumption down. No one can really make great use of the Chicken Knife, if you decide you want to go for the Brave Blade for some god-forsaken reason. Go nuts! You've got four boosted Syldras a round. It's not like you need the help.

Team 5) Samurai, Thief, Time Mage, Ranger
This is the castoff party, which isn't really saying much as it's got two of the best jobs in the game. Samurai gets a friend to help them round out their Genji gear collection. Thief and Ranger get to fight over who gets !Rapid Fire the Chicken Knife (it's Thief, by the way, it's always Thief, Ranger at least gets some decent bows). Time Mage is here because... look, none of the other teams needed a Time Mage either. Maybe swap mages with Team 3? I dunno, she had to go somewhere, and here she is.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I did all twenty jobs in five runs back in 2018 and ran a toxx for a couple years after that to get people to try it out. I'm not doing that any more but I definitely encourage everyone to give it a try.

My team compositions:
  1. Thief/Summoner/Beastmaster/Dragoon: A surprisingly effective team. Thief can get gear and items that you wouldn't normally have until later, Summoner nukes everything that doesn't require shenanigans, Beastmaster does shenanigans, and Dragoon is durable.
  2. Black Mage/Berserker/Geomancer/Chemist: A level 255 Berserker with Black 6 and the rune axe is an engine of destruction. Gaia is a useful secondary if you don't want to Mix all the time.
  3. Knight/White Mage/Red Mage/Ninja: Knight + White Mage is a winning team obviously, but Dualcast and Throw just make it even more winning.
  4. Monk/Mystic Knight/Ranger/Samurai: I had to grind levels a little bit early on but later having access to Spellblade and Rapid Fire trivialized a lot of fights.
  5. Blue Mage/Time Mage/Bard/Dancer: This is a great team for breaking the game over your knee. Nothing ever stood a chance.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

What would be the stupidest, riskiest possible option to start with... well one that isn't Natural, at any rate...

Probably an Upgrade with BerserkerRisk, but on which setting?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Cattail Prophet posted:

Also if I'm reading it correctly, Fifth Job in general now lets you pick which job gets replaced, and Advance Jobs has been changed to work similarly rather than having its own unique per-crystal job pool.
still holding out hope for Pure Chaos Advance: Literally Just Put Them In The Pool Same As Every Other Job, but it seems it's never to be :(

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

StrangeAeon posted:

What would be the stupidest, riskiest possible option to start with... well one that isn't Natural, at any rate...

Probably an Upgrade with BerserkerRisk, but on which setting?

No750 + Upgrade + BerserkerRisk probably.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

ultrafilter posted:

No750 + Upgrade + BerserkerRisk probably.

Add typhoon and dupes to that, since aside from mystic knight and to a lesser degree knight the best no750 jobs are fire or earth.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

DACK FAYDEN posted:

still holding out hope for Pure Chaos Advance: Literally Just Put Them In The Pool Same As Every Other Job, but it seems it's never to be :(

He's said as much multiple times. Because the advance jobs are not part of every version, there's not going to be a main state option that has them involved.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Since we have :black101:, I went and made a :blue101:, because math is at least as deadly as a battleaxe here.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Pre-Registration is live!

:siren: BERSKER RISK HAS BEEN CHANGED! :siren:
Berserker Risk is different this year.
Berserker Risk is now available during the entire event.
Berserker Risk is based on the donation total when you register. For every $1000, there is a 5% chance of getting a Berserker.
(This caps out at $20,000 where Berserker Risk becomes 99%.)

Kheldarn fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jun 1, 2023

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

I've also gone ahead and updated the OP with the new run type information.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Kheldarn posted:

For every $1000, there is a 5% chance of getting a Berserker.

So no multiples?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Kyrosiris posted:

He's said as much multiple times. Because the advance jobs are not part of every version, there's not going to be a main state option that has them involved.
but it doesn't have to be a main state! make it an optional flag that's distinct frrom the way he currently handles them! waaaah etc.

(preregistered, always a good time to fiesta)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

DACK FAYDEN posted:

but it doesn't have to be a main state! make it an optional flag that's distinct frrom the way he currently handles them! waaaah etc.

(preregistered, always a good time to fiesta)

Well in fairness the current Extra Job settings are as close as you're gonna get then. :v: Since you get to pick which job gets dropped for Oracle/Glad/Cannoneer it's way less dumb than "you just don't get an earth job today", IMO.

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind

ultrafilter posted:

So no multiples?

% chance per job, I'm pretty sure.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I think the extra job modifier is a good compromise. Also Mime should probably be in extra jobs as well

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Raitzeno posted:

Since we have :black101:, I went and made a :blue101:, because math is at least as deadly as a battleaxe here.

:white101: that's a flail missing.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Jobs for The Run are out:

Knight
Berserker
Geomancer
Dragoon

That's... a list all right.

Adbot