Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't
Search engines don't work anymore, because they don't use keywords anymore. This is probably because SEO was moving dollars around incorrectly and needed to be stopped, and also an insistence among tech bros that AI can predict exactly what you want. Things that were useful but don't work anymore include:

*Using parenthesis to search for an exact phrase.
*Using a plus sign to insist that results must include that exact word.
*Typing more than a single word and expecting all of those words to be included in the results.
*Using a parody term that appears to be a misspelling, for example "shart week".

If I type in "shart week", don't assume I misspelled anything, just give me those results. But that doesn't work anymore for at least two of the above reasons.

I'm not sure when exactly the change occurred but it feels like sometime within the last five years. It just sucks because pretty much any obscured content is impossible to find if you don't already have it bookmarked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
"shart week" +truckstop

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

you use quotes to search for an exact phrase DUMBASS

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
this is a trick for shart week t-shirt sales and you almost got me youson of a bitch

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Looks fine to me OP.:shrug:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I hate the OP and this thread but they are correct that search engines are extremely bad now.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Looks fine to me OP.:shrug:

He was probably putting it in parentheses

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I hate the OP and this thread but they are correct that search engines are extremely bad now.

Lol I will never understand why you get given so much loving leeway to post like this

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
I'll concur that Google seems to be doing scummy and annoying things that they never would've done in years past, like on mobile the results page will extend beyond your actual results and will start displaying "results" for things you didn't actually search for and hoping you won't notice.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

MrQwerty posted:

Lol I will never understand why you get given so much loving leeway to post like this
He reports anyone thinking of reporting him. The mods are too busy to read both reports, so the quickest draw survives.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!
the entire internet got sketchy in the last decade. Get over it.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
my job is putting ads on Google and it's funny that everything I learned when I started re: keywords is wrong now

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

"keyword," as if that isn't an old person term

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
yeah it's a real mess and a bunch of tech bros are probably going to get murdered by schizophrenic lunatics and they will have bought it upon themselves lol

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
"Big boobies" still works, right?

Right???

E: AOL Keyword: BALLS was not what I thought it would be :mad:

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Actually Infoseek still works well op

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

OP, you and your Boolean demands put you in the less than one percent club—as in, less than one percent of users ever knew how to do that. Congratulations on your elite status!

Sadly, you are so elite that you are vastly outnumbered by users who are confused and enraged when they copy/paste something in the Google box and it comes back all weird—and, guess what? Those users refuse to learn any better. They will always be confused and enraged each and every time.

So you take away the feature that barely anyone knows exists and solve a UX problem for a significant portion of your other users and you get a raise because your number goes up.

This is considered an amazing UX practice. That’s why everyone does it now. Because it’s the best.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Today I tried searching on Google for something and it refused to give me any actual listings of website URLs -- just images.

The internet is completely unusable garbage these days.

Passive Aggreeable
May 23, 2009

"Either way, it's going to hurt like crazy."
im on youtube watching shorts and just a little mousewheel action takes me to the next vid and I cant get back because it bugs out and I cant get my playback spot back

but yeh search engines, I sometimes get self conscious sending out those rapid fire searches that happen when you start typing now

Manky Tungeon
Jun 11, 2018
it's time to go back to webrings

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

There Bias Two posted:

Today I tried searching on Google for something and it refused to give me any actual listings of website URLs -- just images.

The internet is completely unusable garbage these days.

Click the button that says "all" near the top of your screen

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

MrQwerty posted:

Oh, I've got it coming, it's fine.

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

He was probably putting it in parentheses

Leaving it as a monument to my idiocy.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
I see a little Duncan in there?

LadyAmbien
Oct 22, 2015
Keyword: Shitbox

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Lol at all the grandparents that can't figure out how this confounded "Google" thing works it's too hard if you ask me!!

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Nooner posted:

Lol at all the grandparents that can't figure out how this confounded "Google" thing works it's too hard if you ask me!!

can you help me?

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
AOL Keyword: gape

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Machai posted:

Click the button that says "all" near the top of your screen

same thing happened to me a week or two ago. there was no all button anymore.

Manky Tungeon posted:

it's time to go back to webrings

been saying this. there's so few websites that aren't ai generated garbage that it's needed

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

kntfkr posted:

AOL Keyword: gape

I am fairly sure I did that back in 1998

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
My friend was telling me about the MAID program and I mentioned Sharlotte Hydorn. Went to find an article on her and Google ignored all my keywords to give me nothing but articles about MAID and to suggest I call the suicide hotline.

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

sesh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwDDIexyNw8

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Toxic Mental posted:

you use quotes to search for an exact phrase DUMBASS

:yeah:

Also: Works with Google search but not many other search engines afaik. Doesn't work in DuckDuckGo.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Hey Google, show me the goatse guy's rear end in a top hat

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Das Boo posted:

My friend was telling me about the MAID program and I mentioned Sharlotte Hydorn. Went to find an article on her and Google ignored all my keywords to give me nothing but articles about MAID and to suggest I call the suicide hotline.

I would have told her about the MAD program and the best keyword ever
Alfred E Newman

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I would have told her about the MAD program and the best keyword ever
Alfred E Newman

Neuman

dipshit

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

erosion posted:

Neuman
dipshit

Neuman.
I gently caress everything up

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Neuman.
I gently caress everything up

It's ok, you're doing a good job

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I am fairly sure I did that back in 1998

That explains a lot

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

erosion posted:

It's ok, you're doing a good job

at least you know I'm trying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I'm unable to extract the EXIF data from my favorite youtube videos, my 1st amendment rights are being violated