Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

seems unlikely.

that’s what she said

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
complex numbers fascinate me

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
one of the people that works otc on sunday is studying mechanical engineering and I like talking to her about things she has a formal education in whereas i’ve just watched youtube :grin: and I asked her if she knows about mandelbrot fractals and she had not so I showed her and it was like woah that’s just inherent in the math??

more evidence that math is a way of summoning a demon

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

rotor posted:

they're just numbers

i’m
allowed to
be fascinated by numbers

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
things can appear amazing and unreal when you don’t understand them

please don’t take that away from me

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
and especially because numbers are just a set of rules, rather than anything real like fascinating rocks or hamburgers or gigantic puddles like the ocean

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I meant what I said

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
numbers are like when someone sells an empty xbox box on ebay. someone was expecting something but all they got was the vibe of the xbox

numbers a a vibe man

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
is a hamburger real? it satisfies both yes and no

on one hand yes, it’s made of real bits

on the other hand no, it’s just a bunch of bits, the culmination of those bits into a hamburger is just an idea inside our mind and doesn’t exist in the real world

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
before humans existed did numbers exist too

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
if you can’t locate something in spacetime then maybe it ain’t real

rock solid definition imo

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

complex/imaginary numbers are just polar coordinates with different notation. youve learned polar coordinates before

that’s not quite true tho, imaginary numbers make things spin

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://youtu.be/v0YEaeIClKY

this only works because pushing something by a certain amount of i spins it around

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

so do polar coordinates. thats the whole point of the theta coordinate!!!

I do not know what you speak of

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
theta? more like shieeeeta

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

z = a + bi, right?

but you can just write that as

r = sqrt(a^2 + b^2)
θ = arctan2(b/a)
z = r(cos(θ) + i*sin(θ))

which is just normal polar coordinates and then your complex multiplications become way easier, you just multiply the r and add the thetas

i don’t really get any of this

but it fascinates me

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

polyester concept posted:

I used to get really high and watch numberphile videos, it was fun

numberphile videos are what get me high

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it’ll be a few days before I am back a computer I can use to look at them but I look forward to it

about a decade ago I spent a bit of time with a pirates copy of mathematica fiddling with graphs and other graphical representations of maths so might be a wee treat to do so in blendizzle

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

that was a mirror

ahahahaha

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
where are numbers

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

infernal machines posted:

inside your head, echi

fucken bullshit mate you know as well as I do there’s not a god drat thing inside this head

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
pro tip : they don't

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
bullshit

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
imagine believing such garbage

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

this dude explains octagons??? I already know what octagons are . i ain’t clicking on no video that explains what an octagon is

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
october? the eighth month? what else could there be to know?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

AnimeIsTrash posted:

theyre not real just like gravity

gravity is the snowflake force

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

distortion park posted:

I certainly feel like I'm paying a massive bill whenever I have to stand up

lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the complex plane shouldn’t work and yet it does what in the gently caress

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

why shouldn't it work

coz it’s hosed up

I presume it’s used in equations where there is a periodic factor like AC electricity??

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
but isn’t part of the point of it that multipling values of the imaginary part will cycle back and forward??

like it’s not just a drop in replacement for x,y coords right? it’s used in engineering equations for particular use cases? what are those use cases??

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
like I said it’s hosed up

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

pretty much the moment you have anything periodic it's just easier to represent with complex numbers

this is pretty much what I was hoping to hear and confirms at least my pop sci level understanding of them is at least in the right direction

I always understood that the proof of the complex plane isn’t in trying to believe that imaginary numbers actually exist but that it gets answers hence it’s legit

SporkOfTruth posted:

This is, charitably, everything that makes the internet work from power to the ethernet cable to wifi.

sick

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

distortion park posted:

I think "proof" is a bit too strong of a word - proof of what? it's consistent with the rest of maths (you start from i^2 + 1 = 0 and go from there, no need to look inside i) and is very useful for physics so like the rest of maths it's tempting to think that it's saying something fundamental but who knows, maybe there are other radically different ways of modelling things that work even better that our senses, scale or minds make us completely unable to access. or maybe it's impossible to go beyond "it's useful" for any maths!

I certainly didn’t mean proof in a proper sense, I just meant in a more colloquial way, I would guess that to most people the complex plane is not intuitive in any way, and if you were to make the argument to a layman that it’s legit, it would boil down to “it’s legit because it works”.

but i don’t really know enough about maths to make statements that don’t immediately bring up my misunderstandings lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
indeed

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
once saw a video about the mandelbrot set but this one followed some of the recursive functions around and showed how some kinda jumped around in a box backwards and forwards and how
some would be stable and more or less fall into a loop while others would spin out to infinity and I’ve had concept in my head before but this was the first time I really got what the mandelbrot set was doing

stillll fuckin hate fractals but the complex plane is the mf poo poo

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the veritasium video where he shows the bifurcation diagram and then turned it on the z axis and you saw the mandlebrot set wan like woah

wanna make a clicker game that somehow includes gravity 🤔🤔🤔

thinking out loud - you have a space field and you have some icons that have (manipulatable?) gravity and from one direction (maybe) you have a particulate resource coming from side and the gravity from each icon sucks in the resource but you might have to fine tune the gravity so the early icons don’t suck in too mind compared to the later icons which might be more powerful or have higher multipliers. and the resource might take some interesting to watch trajectory as it passes some gravity icon and moves around

OR you’re some passive space debris harvesting machine floating thru space picking up stuff and you have to manage the ships meagre resources to keep the different harvesting parts of the ship efficient.

but idle games. love me an idle game

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

rotor posted:

deeply offended by echis mathpinions itt

phi vs e which is better

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mondomole posted:

phi isn't even transcendental, what is this question even

you’re lying to yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

absolutely in cahoots with pi. you're just minding your own business flipping roughly infinity coins and you want to know how likely you are to have between a third and two thirds of them heads, and well well well not only is e there, but pi just slips in all "oh don't mind me i'm just here to normalize this probability distribution" like it's nbd. except i'm not doing anything with circles, so why are you here? you weren't invited to this, this is between me and my coins and maybe some sums or integrals depending on how fancy i'm feeling

um, coins are round dumbass