Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

energy equals mass times the speed of light squared plus artificial intelligence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

it sure is

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Sagebrush posted:

no it doesn't.

by including ai in the equation, it symbolizes the increasing role of artificial intelligence in shaping and transforming our future. this equation highlights the potential for AI to unlock new forms of energy, enhance scientific discoveries, and revolutionize various fieds such as healthcare, transportation, and technology.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

artificial intelligence is the total energy of the system divided by the total mass of the system multiplied by the squared speed of light. i actually really like this definition of ai, it makes things more intuitively clear

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

President Beep posted:

natural law = artificial intelligence

that cant be right.

natural is the total energy of the system divided by the total mass of the system multiplied by the squared speed of light?

theres no way this is true stop making things up/.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

complex/imaginary numbers are just polar coordinates with different notation. youve learned polar coordinates before

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

echinopsis posted:

that’s not quite true tho, imaginary numbers make things spin

so do polar coordinates. thats the whole point of the theta coordinate!!!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

echinopsis posted:

I do not know what you speak of

z = a + bi, right?

but you can just write that as

r = sqrt(a^2 + b^2)
θ = arctan2(b/a)
z = r(cos(θ) + i*sin(θ))

which is just normal polar coordinates and then your complex multiplications become way easier, you just multiply the r and add the thetas

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

rotor posted:

no i am a thrilling and engaging public speaker and I am able to make the proof a fun thing that laypeople can understand and enjoy.

ok hit me

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

hmm we just need a web 3 einstien to discover where nfts fit in this equation

maybe they can replace mass entirely

speaking of that

just the other day i found a cool generative art thing. some guy wrote a flowfield rendering algorithm that he calls "rayhatching" to render SDFs and it has some pretty neat looking results. and afaict its a new thing, nobody else is doing it. so i checked out his linked blog post talking about it and he only released it as part of some VC back crypto nft scam company lol. to use his algorithm you have to write 512 chars or less of javascript which gets "minted" to a blockchain and everything is an nft. screw you dude, just release some software i'll pay $5 or whatever, or talk about the algorithm so i can implement it myself! why cripple it by hiding it behind 512 chars of nft javascript

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

echinopsis posted:

i don’t really get any of this

but it fascinates me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rr5qEb_kT6c

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

here u go echi, have some polar basis vectors that i made in blender last year

https://giant.gfycat.com/SparseGreedyGardensnake.mp4

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i actually think blender is a cool way to learn maths because you can do all the maths nodes and get cool instant visualizations. and then mess around with stuff and see how fits together and interacts

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Tiberius Christ posted:

last halloween i spent the entire party drunk trying to explain the difference between countable and uncountable infinities to some guy who was really into it but also insanely high

that was a mirror

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

it was made by human, its not "real"

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

President Beep posted:

just numbers! just numbers?!!! was playdoh just a philosopher? was einstein just a thinker? good lord.

rotor meant in the haskell maybe monad sense. just numbers means they’re real, as opposed to nothing of type numbers

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

git apologist posted:

in which dimension do numbers exist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6ruHbUGImQ

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

hes talking about october, and what they dont want you to know about it

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

rotor posted:

pills shouldnt work. I mean come on - i swallow a tictac and now i dont have an infection? grow up.

why is a mod trolling a serious thread? answer that

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

echinopsis posted:

I always understood that the proof of the complex plane isn’t in trying to believe that imaginary numbers actually exist but that it gets answers hence it’s legit

that’s all math ever was. math is a tool we use to construct models of the world. if it works it’s math

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

distortion park posted:

the two bits of maths which really blew my mind when i first learnt them were cantor's diagonal proof (it's so simple but it just feels like it must be wrong, the new sequence must already be in the set! you can't have bigger infinities!!!) and euler's identity

mine was learning that vectors are derivatives and basis vectors (basically the axes of the coordinate system) are partial derivatives

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

if you like your number system, uh, you can keep it

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

it's both math and computer science, and it's not a fundamental thing, but i remember going "woah" when i learned how you can solve for all the zeros of any polynomial iteratively without dealing with poo poo like getting stuck in minima or missing some of the zeros. since there's already iterative algos to get the eigenvalues of a matrix, and eigenvalues are the solutions to the characteristic polynomial of that matrix, you just build a matrix that has the polynomial you want as characteristic polynomial and you find the eigenvalues of that. it feels kind of obvious once you learn about it, but when you first learn about this in linear algebra you pretty much always start with a matrix, then build the polynomial, then solve for that, so you never really think of going in the other direction

this sounds kinda like how when u graph functions like z = y^2 * x or whatever you always do it that way. but if you flip it around and subtract z from the right side and set the equation equal to 0 then you basically have a field that approximates the distance from the n-dimensional surface you just graphed. you can make it more exact by dividing that by the derivative of the function, which is essentially the vector field that defines the gradient of the distance from the surface. the direction of the derivative vector field at the surface itself is the same as the direction of the surface normal, which defines the angle at which light will bounce off it. you can then use all that garbage for computer graphics

it’s basically just plotting a function but sorta flipped around a bit

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

signed distance fields you mean? yeah they're pretty neat. i was a graphics programmer for a number of years in another life so i've dealt with them before. you can use them for collision detection, fluid dynamics constraints, and a whole bunch of other stuff. really nice when you want to compute stuff in parallel, eg on a gpu, since a lot of times you can update each discrete sample of your field independently. they're a case of a "dirichlet problem" where you have a partial differential equation, and you want to solve it in a way that the values on a boundary (the surface in this case) are equal to some condition you set (being the surface normal in this case). it shows up over and over in physics; everything from heat transfer to electromagnetic fields to quantum mechanics

yah i just used them to make this donut last week

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Hed posted:

basically the same people that want to use tebibytes or whatever

hi

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

well we all get old

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

if i actually give enough of a gently caress about the difference between 2^40 and 10^13 bytes of storage, then i'm probably doing something important and large-scale enough that i should just check the exact number of bytes anyways

thats a lot of linux isos

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

now this is some fine math:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burgers%27_equation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA