Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

McNally posted:

Stop being a passive aggressive little baby and actually talk poo poo out with TheWeedNumber.

This red text poo poo is cowardly. You got beef? Come out with it.

gently caress, you assholes aren't children so don't act like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

facialimpediment posted:

Set the interest rates at 0%, make tons of indefinite-postponement options for borrowers, etc.

I'm actually curious if there is any legal reason they can't set the interest rate to -100% and mark the loans paid off in a year.

Setting the interest rate to 0% or 0.001% or whatever is a good start. Maybe they can wrangle enough house/senate changes in November to pass a law to relieve the debt instead of doing it administratively. Campaigning on that would work great. Although I suspect that they'll drop it from the platform the moment the election is over.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

McNally posted:

Stop being a passive aggressive little baby and actually talk poo poo out with TheWeedNumber.

Don't they post in FYAD?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Well the admins know who bought it, be they a FYAD or CSPAM or GiP poster.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

They were the ones who were dumb enough to lend money to children. gently caress 'em.

Too bad we can't get everyone on board with not paying at all- they can't do gently caress all about it. Too many people to let it go, too many to act harshly. They couldn't realistically do anything about credit scores, because they are still on the hook, and that would bomb the entire economy, having that many credit scores drop at once.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Grip it and rip it posted:

Don't they post in FYAD?

no one in FYAD would be this horrible

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

TheWeedNumber posted:

no one in FYAD would be this horrible

I got bad news for you about FYAD

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

bulletsponge13 posted:

They were the ones who were dumb enough to lend money to children. gently caress 'em.

Too bad we can't get everyone on board with not paying at all- they can't do gently caress all about it. Too many people to let it go, too many to act harshly. They couldn't realistically do anything about credit scores, because they are still on the hook, and that would bomb the entire economy, having that many credit scores drop at once.

Yeah, one of the (many) worst parts was when they had I think a forgiveness program for teachers & even when applicants carefully followed every step the success rate was like 1%, with people thinking they were all set and made loan payments for a decade expecting the balance to be forgiven, then told lol nah: https://www.npr.org/2019/07/11/739860400/broken-promises-teachers-sue-u-s-over-student-loans-that-werent-forgiven

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

McNally posted:

I got bad news for you about FYAD

im not at their desired level of posting standards yet and they might say poo poo you can't say anywhere else but I don't think they hate autistic people, just unfunny people. the one who is responsible for the redtext clearly has something against the neurodivergent if they are comparing us to sociopathy. That is unequivocally disgusting and I hope that individual gets some help.

now back to the news

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

McNally posted:

the gently caress did I miss again

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

bulletsponge13 posted:

Are we still talking about Biden’s EO? You realize it only applied to federal loans held by Dept of Ed, right, mostly Pell grants by dollar amount. That program was created in 1965. So it’s been 60+ years of a well functioning program to make education more accessible. I guess the entire country has been dumb for 60 years of higher ed.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

pmchem posted:

Are we still talking about Biden’s EO? You realize it only applied to federal loans held by Dept of Ed, right, mostly Pell grants by dollar amount. That program was created in 1965. So it’s been 60+ years of a well functioning program to make education more accessible. I guess the entire country has been dumb for 60 years of higher ed.

I'm ignorant to the finer details- I'm just angry that it costs so much.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

bulletsponge13 posted:

I'm ignorant to the finer details- I'm just angry that it costs so much.

so you're getting angry at the people with the temerity to pursue their interests in higher education instead of correctly attributing blame? big fox news commenter energy imo

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

pmchem posted:

Pell Grants never need to be repaid. Its a grant. Its not even taxable income. Pell Grants have always worked great and have nothing to do with the statement.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

There’s groups of cretins that buy harassing avatars, LGBT hate avatars, etc. that only get outed when they do something funny like try to save $5 when buying themselves avatars as a false flag (because self purchases get tracked)

You’re never going to get them to engage directly by yelling about it

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Tiny Timbs posted:

There’s groups of cretins that buy harassing avatars, LGBT hate avatars, etc. that only get outed when they do something funny like try to save $5 when buying themselves avatars as a false flag (because self purchases get tracked)

You’re never going to get them to engage directly by yelling about it

true but then they get to hang out on the same tier as famed poster smoke crack

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Yeah, one of the (many) worst parts was when they had I think a forgiveness program for teachers & even when applicants carefully followed every step the success rate was like 1%, with people thinking they were all set and made loan payments for a decade expecting the balance to be forgiven, then told lol nah: https://www.npr.org/2019/07/11/739860400/broken-promises-teachers-sue-u-s-over-student-loans-that-werent-forgiven

wow, guess i better have a plan to pay for my loans because apparently "blow it all on gucci belts and work for the government forever" is not longer viable for me. to be clear, not saying thats what they did at all. just talking about myself. p hosed up tbqh and i hope they get redress because they deserve a fair shake. Teacher's don't get paid enough any drat way and they are crucial to our society.

it wasn't gucci belts

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

M_Gargantua posted:

Pell Grants never need to be repaid. Its a grant. Its not even taxable income. Pell Grants have always worked great and have nothing to do with the statement.

Yeah sorry for the phrasing, the EO was for people with loans held by dept of Ed, and part of the forgiveness limits were set based on whether people also received Pell grants. So Pell was a filtering criteria for exact forgiveness. Since money is fungible I just lumped it all together.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Hyrax Attack! posted:

That weird poo poo is why I was pushing everyone here so hard in the Public Service Loan Forgiveness thing. From what I remember - my own loans were set up to be paid off in 20 years. So theoretically, 10 years of payments as a fed would probably be enough, right? (lol)

From what I remember, the only way my student loans would qualify for the pre-PSLF repayment was if I changed to the "correct" type of repayment plan. That would've increased my loan payments to the level where I'd pay it off in... 10 years anyways. That's why I went so nuts about the pandemic PSLF - Biden's folks took a look at the rules, went "wtf is this poo poo", and allowed all payments to qualify.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Yeah but did any of you think to pay for houses and fishing trips and gifts for a supreme court justice?

Yeah didn't think so smart guys

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Wasabi the J posted:

Yeah but did any of you think to pay for houses and fishing trips and gifts for a supreme court justice?

i thought they just wanted their dick sucked, whoops, careless me.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Prop Wash posted:

so you're getting angry at the people with the temerity to pursue their interests in higher education instead of correctly attributing blame? big fox news commenter energy imo

You are misreading what I'm saying.

I'm angry that schools cost enough that children have to go into a lifetime of debt to learn what they want. I'm angry the Government subsidizes the Higher Education system driving the cost up. I'm not angry that people want to learn or want to improve society.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Wasabi the J posted:

Is this where we discuss the benefits or disadvantages of mean testing excluding billionaires with personal Supreme Court Justices from loan forgiveness?

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

bulletsponge13 posted:

I'm angry that schools cost enough that children have to go into a lifetime of debt to learn what they want. I'm angry the Government subsidizes the Higher Education system driving the cost up. I'm not angry that people want to learn or want to improve society.

*puts on the daddy warbucks suit*

well if they wanted college they shuolda joined the army. aint no free lunch here in america. paying for kids college, smdh thats some communist poo poo. unless they get straight 4.0s and are captain o the track team they dont need no friggen scholarship. and they better write a hell of an essay sucking off the committee so we know they're probably appreciative of the opportunity to go to school.

and they better know what they wanted to be since fingerpainting class too. otherwise they can get FCUKED!

what about the troops
GOD BLESS THE TROOPS. GOD BLESS AMERICA AND NO ONE ELSE....wait...wait..wait a loving minute. You wanna be rehabilitated by VR&E? Maybe get a bachelor's or a master's? Get the gently caress outta here, you can work with your blown off legs and your severe PTSD and TBI. go flip some burgers homie, you already got college credits on your ACE transcript. you're employable

smdh, who hosed up in the sandbox and forgot to kill you. can't keep paying to fix all you broke dick motherfuckers.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Wasabi the J posted:

You see, in Warbucks v. Rockefeller (1969) , if a Supreme Court Justice wants a nice thing, they are entitled to the nice thing. And if you want a nice thing, Carnegie v. Vanderbilt (1971) says you are entitled to go gently caress yourself.

https://twitter.com/Ugarles/status/1674812758309601280

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

bulletsponge13 posted:

Ohhhh, I understand now - you're parroting Cato Institute talking points about higher education gorging itself on state and federal dollars https://www.cato.org/sites/cato.org/files/pubs/pdf/pa-810.pdf instead of the actual information that appropriations per student has plummeted since 2007 https://dukespace.lib.duke.edu/dspace/bitstream/handle/10161/22918/Hodges-Copple.Sally.FinalMP.pdf
e: north carolina-specific since that's the school system i'm familiar with but we tend to follow national trends on this

Prop Wash fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jun 30, 2023

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

pmchem posted:

Yeah sorry for the phrasing, the EO was for people with loans held by dept of Ed, and part of the forgiveness limits were set based on whether people also received Pell grants. So Pell was a filtering criteria for exact forgiveness. Since money is fungible I just lumped it all together.

Pell grants got an extra $10k in forgiveness.

The repayment pause was very good. Biden should extend and force Republicans to put legislation into law forcing repayment, then find some other way to gently caress around with it to do it again.

Prop Wash posted:

Ohhhh, I understand now - you're parroting Cato Institute talking points about higher education gorging itself on state and federal dollars https://www.cato.org/sites/cato.org/files/pubs/pdf/pa-810.pdf instead of the actual information that appropriations per student has plummeted since 2007 https://dukespace.lib.duke.edu/dspace/bitstream/handle/10161/22918/Hodges-Copple.Sally.FinalMP.pdf

Didn't the housing crisis nuke government support for colleges? I'm not clicking through I just remember that being the case.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
While student loan payments are a discussion, the NYT decided to help out with a "Six Alternatives For Borrowers" kind of article.

Their sixth suggestion was a variant of murder you're famil

https://twitter.com/transscribe/status/1674805334357975040

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/30/...riant=undefined

quote:

If you’re a young adult wondering about the federal PLUS loans your relatives took out to pay for your education, you may be wondering whether the debt dies with the person or people who take it on.

It does. The federal government will not make a claim on their estate, and you will not inherit the balance.

edit: https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1674817952519012354

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kes2P4IC2bQ

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jun 30, 2023

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

bulletsponge13 posted:

I was a freshman at Penn State in 2001. I returned in 2012. In that time span tuition loving tripled.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Prop Wash posted:

e: north carolina-specific since that's the school system i'm familiar with but we tend to follow national trends on this

K.

The cost of schooling has skyrocketed over the years needlessly, and is used as a form of gatekeeping and indentured servitude that the government got into and helped transform higher education into a business. American higher education costs across the board to align with the economy, or world contemporaries.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

bulletsponge13 posted:

having a hard time following... the problem is that the government used to subsidize the cost of higher ed keeping it low, now that has almost entirely disappeared which makes loans mandatory for most people and then the government gets to profit off of interest on those loans instead of subsidies directly to higher ed (usually done at the state Dept of Ed level).

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

dating myself, but man I am having so much fun listening to this. Thanks

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

US Berder Patrol posted:

MY CITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

US Berder Patrol posted:

Look, it's now official NPR policy that you must back that azz up.

It originally caught my/the internet's attention because the cello/violin player very clearly will be chasing that high the rest of their lives. Then digging deeper into that (and the repeat encore) it's just so obvious that everyone involved is having a loving blast. I'm kind of wondering how Jon Batiste even got any notes out of the melodica because he was smiling so hard the whole time.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I did an exchange-semester of highschool in Auburn '99 when Cash Money/Hot Boyz/lil Wayne was blowing up and my pasty German rear end had to grab all the albums to be cool with it / learn that singing ALL the lyrics of rap songs was not appropriate.

This is bringing me back so goddamn hard and I just set up my brand new Sony HT-40R in the bedroom, so Juvie is coming at me from ALL THE DIRECTIONS

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

God, I hope he does Welcome to tha nolia

/Holy poo poo, it's Trombone Shorty

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Duzzy Funlop posted:

learn that singing ALL the lyrics of rap songs was not appropriate.

lmao I was in college in Louisiana when Mystikal, Juvenile, Master P et al were all blowing up and yeah we had some korean and indian exchange students that got politely called out on the above as well.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

TheWeedNumber posted:

i thought they just wanted their dick sucked, whoops, careless me.

now thats a colorful mental image

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

That Works posted:

lmao I was in college in Louisiana when Mystikal, Juvenile, Master P et al were all blowing up and yeah we had some korean and indian exchange students that got politely called out on the above as well.

Myself and two other students from Germany were the first exchange students Auburn High had seen in 8 years and the memories of our peers trying to teach us the ropes are hilarious in retrospect.

Jamaal, one of the guys on the football team kinda took me under his wing during our shared lunch period, and I honest-to-god came close to breaking his brain because, while he had experience in explaining to inbred whiteboys from the sticks why they couldn't sing along to the entirety of rap, he had never had a naive-rear end teenage deutschbag like me to deal with that kept questioning his arguments like "but I'm not American and I love the music, how do I sing along with it then ?" and "if expression bad, why not make it punishable by law like we do?"

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Myself and two other students from Germany were the first exchange students Auburn High had seen in 8 years and the memories of our peers trying to teach us the ropes are hilarious in retrospect.

Jamaal, one of the guys on the football team kinda took me under his wing during our shared lunch period, and I honest-to-god came close to breaking his brain because, while he had experience in explaining to inbred whiteboys from the sticks why they couldn't sing along to the entirety of rap, he had never had a naive-rear end teenage deutschbag like me to deal with that kept questioning his arguments like "but I'm not American and I love the music, how do I sing along with it then ?" and "if expression bad, why not make it punishable by law like we do?"

:lol: that's hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe
man i lost this argument long before it even started but i find the idea of making art of any kind and then gatekeeping who is allowed to fully enjoy and participate in it loving abhorrent

this isnt even close to wishing i had full access to the english language just so i could tell grandpappys favorite racist joke and do my part to keep systemic oppression rolling while demonstrating a lack of anything remotely resembling a sense of humor

this is being pissed off about having to worry about which loving song lyrics gently caress it never mind it doesnt matter what my cracker rear end thinks

the high water mark of race relations in the us was white people and black people laughing at blazing saddles together in the same theater and its all been downhill since then