Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

bawfuls posted:

"some" sequencing luck, the Rangers team OPS is 200 points higher with RISP than with bases empty

Compare this to the team with the next highest runs scored, the Rays:

But hey, maybe the 2023 Rangers are just the most clutch team in baseball history by an insane margin and this will hold up all summer.

thanks ben clemens

how about that clayton kershaw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Ben Joyce has one pitch and it's really good. Angels still finding the dumbest ways to lose though.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Intruder posted:

Why are they putting up with Bass's antics he's already a fringe guy to begin with

I'd be surprised if he's on the team by the 9th.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Gorman Thomas posted:

Ben Joyce has one pitch and it's really good. Angels still finding the dumbest ways to lose though.

Hey now. He has two or three other pitches at pretty high relative speeds.

There's just no point to using them.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
https://twitter.com/RobBiertempfel/status/1664670694683156483?s=20

Well, ok.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I mean, you walk by a ballpark and you see 50 guys who look just like me fighting over very complicated shirts, you go in. Yes, you do. You go in.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Redeye Flight posted:

Don't want this important fact missed. Also as a question, does anyone remember or have a link to the "DENARD SPAN TOOK A WALK" video?

I don't but what I can give you is a compilation of every dinger the Twins hit in May

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2RUU_OhbM0

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

Don't trade with the Rays. This guy will now be a lights out late inning reliever.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
It's nice to see the entire city of Toronto come together to tell Anthony Bass to gently caress off.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Lol that guy is going to have like a 2.19 ERA with the rays, stop trading mediocre relievers to them, they can't keep getting away with this.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Popete posted:

It's nice to see the entire city of Toronto come together to tell Anthony Bass to gently caress off.

Can't wait to see Bass get traded to the Dodgers after Treinen & Kershaw lobby for him.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Bob Nightengale wrote an article about the last of black players in baseball

quote:

Milwaukee Brewers All-Star closer Devin Williams said that none of his close friends even played baseball while growing up in St. Louis.

“I didn’t even think Black people played baseball until I got out of St. Louis and went down South,’’ Williams said. “Those kids all played baseball and football. In St. Louis, it was all basketball and football. The select leagues I was in, I never saw any Black kids.

“I just think the inner-city kids today are being priced out of the game period, and there’s not that many playing to begin with.

“We need to do a better job to make this be a cooler sport, to appeal to the youth, and not be stuck in like old-time mindset.’’

I think this is a big part of the problem. Baseball is expensive as hell to play these days, the price of metals bats is $100-$500. You can spend that amount even on youth bats and many wealthier parents do. Sure you can find bargain bin metal bats for like $50 but they are pretty junky. If you're serious about baseball as a youth there are summer travel leagues but this costs thousands of dollars and is a big time commitment every weekend. Baseball doesn't need to be this expensive to play but the prices on equipment keeps going up.

Wood bat prices sky rocketed during the pandemic amid the wider wood shortage and they have not gone back down. A premium pro-level bat pre-pandemic would run you $80-$150 now you're looking at $200+ for a stock Victus bat.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

I just imagine the Rays unprompted emailing clubs like "Hey you know that 30 year old relief pitcher throwing 5+ ERA in the minors and you're maybe gonna give him 20 IP in the Majors this year? We'll give you a 24 year old #1 draft pick short stop for him." Which on paper sounds like a steal but because it's the Rays the FO is frantically trying to figure out what they are missing about their pitcher that will turn him into a Cy Young candidate as soon as he goes to the Rays.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Popete posted:

I just imagine the Rays unprompted emailing clubs like "Hey you know that 30 year old relief pitcher throwing 5+ ERA in the minors and you're maybe gonna give him 20 IP in the Majors this year? We'll give you a 24 year old #1 draft pick short stop for him." Which on paper sounds like a steal but because it's the Rays the FO is frantically trying to figure out what they are missing about their pitcher that will turn him into a Cy Young candidate as soon as he goes to the Rays.

I think a lot of the "The Rays Are Literal Wizards Never Trade Them Anybody" is mostly selective memory at play, but this one is so silly I can't help but laugh.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Popete posted:

I think this is a big part of the problem. Baseball is expensive as hell to play these days, the price of metals bats is $100-$500. You can spend that amount even on youth bats and many wealthier parents do. Sure you can find bargain bin metal bats for like $50 but they are pretty junky. If you're serious about baseball as a youth there are summer travel leagues but this costs thousands of dollars and is a big time commitment every weekend. Baseball doesn't need to be this expensive to play but the prices on equipment keeps going up.

Wood bat prices sky rocketed during the pandemic amid the wider wood shortage and they have not gone back down. A premium pro-level bat pre-pandemic would run you $80-$150 now you're looking at $200+ for a stock Victus bat.
Its too expensive and the pay out at the pro level is also too far away. If you get drafted in the NFL or NBA you get life changing money immediately. In MLB it could be a decade before you can cash in.

The more financially precarious you and your family are, the more rational it is to pursue the quicker pay out, even if the ceiling is higher in baseball.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
But even from a "I want to play this sport cause it's fun/cool" perspective not necessarily what will get them paid if they go pro, it's just very expensive to get your kids into baseball. Same problem with hockey.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/JRODshow44/status/1664412348445016064

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Popete posted:

Travel baseball is too big of a part of youth baseball now and that automatically prices out a lot of poorer kids, on top of the fact that it also just takes a lot more to maintain a baseball diamond as opposed to a football field or a basketball court

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
https://twitter.com/MLBONFOX/status/1664642454472065031

time to get mad and sad again

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
https://twitter.com/RyanDivish/status/1664737941107687424?s=20

Mariners appear to be making moves like their next top pitching prospect is moving up.

e. Debuts against Texas tomorrow, Marco Gonzales hurt/maybe hurt and getting tests in Seattle.

If you like hard throwing rookies with really good fastballs he's worth a watch.

Penisaurus Sex fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jun 2, 2023

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

wow, umps, never stop never stopping

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame

Except for the blown call, I really liked the way Gallaraga and Joyce handled it. Post game, Joyce owned the hell out of his bad call, and Gallaraga maintained composure in a way that I'm not sure I could have done, and I'm certain that I wouldn't have done.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

maffew buildings posted:

wow, umps, never stop never stopping

To be fair to Jim Joyce he absolutely admitted he hosed it up after the game

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

bawfuls posted:

Its too expensive and the pay out at the pro level is also too far away. If you get drafted in the NFL or NBA you get life changing money immediately. In MLB it could be a decade before you can cash in.

The more financially precarious you and your family are, the more rational it is to pursue the quicker pay out, even if the ceiling is higher in baseball.

With the NBA it's not even that it's immediate, you get paid way more than in baseball even if you're just a middle of the pack type of player. Aaron Gordon makes over $20 million a year which astonished me when I looked that up last night

Of course, basketball has a much bigger physical barrier than baseball

Imasalmon posted:

Except for the blown call, I really liked the way Gallaraga and Joyce handled it. Post game, Joyce owned the hell out of his bad call, and Gallaraga maintained composure in a way that I'm not sure I could have done, and I'm certain that I wouldn't have done.

I would have at very least tried to parlay it into getting favorable calls for the rest of my career :v:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Penisaurus Sex posted:

If you like hard throwing rookies with really good fastballs he's worth a watch.

The M's definitely have A Type.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Inspector_666 posted:

The M's definitely have A Type.

I think his fastball actually sits around where Miller's does. Woo has more developed secondaries though.

Downside is he's probably under a strict innings limit this year.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Don't know who this is.

https://twitter.com/Taylor_McGregor/status/1664742003198902273

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Cash has floated around the league forever.

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat

Is there a more NY name than Vinny N Italy?

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

duomo posted:

Is there a more NY name than Vinny N Italy?

Ayyyyy, I'm pitchin' heah!

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe

bawfuls posted:

"some" sequencing luck, the Rangers team OPS is 200 points higher with RISP than with bases empty

Compare this to the team with the next highest runs scored, the Rays:

But hey, maybe the 2023 Rangers are just the most clutch team in baseball history by an insane margin and this will hold up all summer.

i think you'll find that the rangers discovered the power of the peagle and will never come back down to earth on such lofty wings

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I swear this guy is cursed or something

https://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors/status/1664798343296319488?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

Popete posted:

Cash has floated around the league forever.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Stanton, Donaldson, Rizzo, and Kahnle all back for the LA series.

Cabrera sent down. Little surprised he went over Allen or Calhoun. He obviously struggled but Yankees clearly like him and his versatility. I guess IKF producing makes that redundant, Allen provides a real OFer/PRer, and Calhoun has been hitting a bit. Still I don’t get where Calhoun fits in this team with a healthy lineup. But probably an options thing or something. And who knows how long the lineup is healthy?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

ugh

it's always true that prospects will break your heart. seems like 100 years ago now he was the top pitching prospect in all of baseball

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

If he misses that much time it’s essentially another wasted season

He’s also not getting any younger so I wonder if they just cut bait on him

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

If he misses that much time it’s essentially another wasted season

He’s also not getting any younger so I wonder if they just cut bait on him

He's thrown 110 innings in 4 years and has been largely ineffective in them. Partly because they're such small sample sizes because he barely pitches before getting hurt again (or popped for PEDs). Turns 26 this year. He might have a future in relief but it's hard to see him as a starter long term

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

He walks way too many people to be an effective reliever. His K rate has been good this year but his walks are out of control

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

whitley was a house of cards but hunter brown came out of nowhere so that's nice. also christian javier. take your wins and take your losses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

I think if you're talking about youth baseball, you can follow the money in other ways too. Within a city, which schools are getting public money for athletics, how much are they getting, and is there a disparity between schools? Are certain schools having to divert money away from athletics because other areas are underfunded? Are schools in certain areas getting favorable selection for grants over others? City parks the same, which parks have at least a backstop and bases, if not a full fence and dugouts, are secure and maintained? What neighborhoods are the parks that don't have those?