Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The first iPhone was poo poo at browsing. Websites designed for a 14" 800x600 monitor displayed on a 4" screen downloaded over a 2G connection, where every interaction with the page requires a pinch zoom, waiting each time for the page to re-render, was a bad experience.

It could do it, it was a necessary first step, but it wasn't really ready yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
This is the world that's been stolen from us by the iphone dorks

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Phones were genuinely more interesting design-wise pre-iPhone. Now it’s all black slabs.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

mobby_6kl posted:

I genuinely really miss buttons.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Remember the unveiling of the $999 monitor stand? Lol this loving company

https://youtu.be/MKVYbnSYkeo

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

AR, they're driving me nuts!!

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

ProperCoochie posted:

I can't believe you'd disrespect a company like Apple in this way. Are you jealous of their success? Disgusting.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I’d be curious as to how many of the $999 monitor stands they sold. Any number over zero is too many.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

ProperCoochie posted:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

mobby_6kl posted:

I had something similar. It was my daily phone for a while. The SD cart slot let me use an sd-card WiFi adapter, and I could load NES emulators on it.

It also ran a dogshit Windows OS and would factory reset every time the battery ran out. Trying to do anything without the stylis was painful. ActiveSync was unreliable and bullshit.

Buttons were nice though.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

MuadDib Atreides posted:

Lol at iphone bashing. Iphone revolutionized the internet and technology to say nothing of cellular phones... Then andropid farted out a bunch of me too failphones. Crapple is going to vitalize the virtual reality space and make it actually viable and more than a gimmick. You can and should bet money on that OP. Ya'll sound like folks heralding the fall of crapple when they refused to let Flash work on crapple devices.... just SMH

for every iPhone there are 10 extra-high-priced, memory-holed abject failures and that's how Apple has always operated

FilthyImp posted:

I had something similar. It was my daily phone for a while. The SD cart slot let me use an sd-card WiFi adapter, and I could load NES emulators on it.

I had a Samsung Alias 2, it flipped open both ways and had an e-ink keyboard that adjusted to the position of the hinge so it was either a tenkey or a qwerty keyboard, I loved that thing.
It wasn't, like, running emulators or anything but it sure was great for txting people.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

MrQwerty posted:

for every iPhone there are 10 extra-high-priced, memory-holed abject failures and that's how Apple has always operated

name ten from the last twenty years. double dog dare ya.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Dick Fontaine posted:

name ten from the last twenty years. double dog dare ya.

G4 Cube, $50 premium U2 iPod, Firewire, Homepod, AirPort, AirPower, Ping, Butterfly switches (idk if that's memory holed though lol), iPod HiFi, and the iPhone 6 housing

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

a) I don't think this will blow up like the iphone
b) I can't say that I like or appreciate the post-iphone world where instead of being glued to immobile screens at desks, you can now be glued to a smaller screen fulltime
c) Now you can glue a screen to your face, what an innovation
d) I am not looking forward to the vr/ar world that people seem to keep wanting to will into existence
e) I don't know if this product will be a failure, but I think it's best for everyone if it is

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

MrQwerty posted:

G4 Cube, $50 premium U2 iPod, Firewire, Homepod, AirPort, AirPower, Ping, Butterfly switches (idk if that's memory holed though lol), iPod HiFi, and the iPhone 6 housing

FireWire became the industry standard for transferring large amounts of data for a while.

In any case most companies never have a single product as influential as the iPod, let alone do it multiple times across different categories.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

MrQwerty posted:

you really gottem good going right out the gate with a 23 year old variant of the mac (a notoriously failed product line that no longer exists today, no doubt!), collateral from a marketing campaign, those several accessories and features, and one of the best selling phones of all time :thumbsup:

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

a lot of the things on that list didn't really flop, they were stepping stones as a product line evolved (firewire, keyboard, iphone housing, mac and ipod variants). some of them were dead ends as other products became more successful, but other than homepod none of them really flopped. and i guess airpower, but that one never even went into production so it's hard to call it a failed product, just a failed ambition.

by the way, the butterfly switches from the ~2017 era design are my all time favorite feeling laptop keys, and i was sad to let them go when i jumped to an M1 system. it's a shame they self-destructed so easily, although mine still worked fine after 3 years of constant use when i traded it in. i'd probably be more bitter toward them if i was one of the people who had to have them repaired, although i think they did eventually setup a repair or refund system that covered an extra 3 or so years past the normal warranty which is more than you'd get from dell, etc. when they release faulty garbage.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

:riker:

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Imagine going outside without your vision pro’s. Just raw-dogging your face in the world.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Bad Purchase posted:

by the way, the butterfly switches from the ~2017 era design are my all time favorite feeling laptop keys, and i was sad to let them go when i jumped to an M1 system

this is the craziest thing i’ve ever read

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

they felt great, so stable and crisp to type on

the latest keyboard that's back to chiclet style is fine, but feels mushy and wobbly in comparison to the triumphant perfect stroke of the nimble butterfly

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

also i still think this headset is going to flop, and the best case scenario is niche industry use and maybe adoption by gamers eventually if they release a much cheaper version

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Bad Purchase posted:

the triumphant perfect stroke of the nimble butterfly

Jfc

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
please go outside and look at a real butterfly i beg you

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Hammerite posted:

please go outside and look at a real butterfly i beg you

we don't have those here anymore, something about a mass extinction in progress and the collapse of the insect biosphere

the only butterfly our children's children will know is the keyboard variety

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Butterflies are the ingredient that are a pain in the rear end to get in games.

naem
May 29, 2011

spleen merchant posted:

These would be cool if the world today was the optimistic techno future of the 90s rather than it's actual dreary dystopia.

even the 90’s version of a dystopia away better than what we got

not one single laser ninja :(

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

I can't wait for Apple's self-driving car

also holy poo poo @ this

Toxic Mental posted:

Me in a Microsoft Teams meeting

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Stubear St. Pierre posted:

I can't wait for Apple's self-driving car

also holy poo poo @ this

lol

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Apple has made some banger products and also some duds. It's a weird sort of anthropomorphisation of a corporation to envision it as like, a singular person with a singular mind and mentality.

Anyway, I don't want VR anything, poo poo is trash, gimme AR HUD glasses already.

naem
May 29, 2011

call me when it’s a pair of raybans

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

naem posted:

I dont know 90s rave fashion is making a resurgence you might be able to pull off ski goggles.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Stubear St. Pierre posted:

also holy poo poo @ this

Lmao how did I miss this before

egg_dog
Nov 12, 2005

nͬ͒̂̓̂ͪoͨ́
Fun Shoe

Poohs Packin posted:

I dont know 90s rave fashion is making a resurgence you might be able to pull off ski goggles.

We will also need Big Rave AR Trackie bottoms

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

naem posted:

here you go buddy. you’ll be looking real sharp in these. all checking your facebook and whatnot

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

MuadDib Atreides posted:

It honestly absolutely baffles my mind that someone could own an ipad, realize how great it is, and not realize that they are missing out on the epic scalability and beauty of the remainder of the apple ecosystem.

I like being able to fix the machine I make my living off of while simultaneously knowing an ipad is a great drawing tool. Hth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

Dick Fontaine posted:

here you go buddy. you’ll be looking real sharp in these. all checking your facebook and whatnot

what about the laser ninjas