Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhobX4fYk6c&t=66s

(The crowd is yelling “Bloooo” because they’re the Bluecoats.)

It’s June, and you can hear snare warmups on the wind. That means Drum Corps is back!

LAST YEAR:

Last year saw the biggest shakeup in Finals since 2008, with Colts and Troopers making both finals for the first time in over a decade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8WPyIRKdyo&t=557s

Colts firmly claimed 11th place all season, so everyone focused on the duel between Crossmen and Blue Knights for the last spot on Saturday… neither of them made it in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpUkedQyMzY&t=40s

No one had Troopers in Finals where the season started. The show concept was strong, the performances were good, but they were seeded 18th after 2019t. While it took a bit for the scores to manifest, the corps kept pushing and by the mid-season reshuffle they were in 14th. It was clear that this show was special, but could they make the jump? They never beat Xmen or BK head-to-head, until Prelims they finally leapt to 12th and stayed there through Saturday. (This Troopers Alumni lost his drat mind. >"<)

On the other side of Saturday, there was a three-way race for the championship:
• Blue Devils with some kind of Blue time-themed show that was impeccably performed
• Bluecoats presenting a conversation with a one’s subconscious manifesting as a road trip metaphor, and
• Boston Crusaders retelling Paradise Lost with a guard so good I was swearing at them in disbelief.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVp98spqUpI

Blue Devils won, of course, and rightfully so. Amazingly, Bluecoats and BAC tied for 2nd at both Semis and Finals. It’s pretty much the best outcome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED9ahPFqLzo&t=661s

NEW FOR 2023:

The biggest news from the off season was the announcement that the Santa Clara Vanguard had to withdraw from the 2023 season due to financial difficulties. Running a drum corps continues to get more expensive due to external and internal factors, and while we all knew something like this was coming at some point, I never expected that SCV was going to the first “big” one to do it. Going into 2023 without the only corps that has been a finalist each year of DCI is going to hurt, but I have no doubt that they’ll be back in 2024.

Despite that, World Class will have an increase in members compared to last year. Spirit of Atlanta returns from their year off, and Seattle Cascades returns for the first time since 2019. (Cascades have only missed a single competitive season! What is even time!)

As for who will be making Finals this year: I have no freaking idea. There’s already one open spot with SCV’s absence, and both Colts and Troopers have the difficult task of trying to maintain a spot on Saturday for the second year in a row. As Troopers showed last year, there’s room for surprises in Finals week.

NEW FOR 2024 – DCA Joins Finals Week

https://www.dci.org/news/dca-dci-announce-partnership-agreement-for-organizations-2024-and-2025-competitive-seasons

quote:

Drum Corps Associates (DCA) and Drum Corps International (DCI) will partner for the 2024 and 2025 competitive seasons to produce, promote and expand the “DCI All-Age Class.”

Under the agreement, DCA corps will perform under their own competitive rules while adhering to the operating policies of DCI; with the goal of creating mutual success through the wide-reaching support and promotion of the unique opportunities provided through participation in All-Age drum corps and attendance at their events .

We’re still waiting on more details, but it appears that DCA’s policies aren’t going to change but the DCA Championships will be moving from Labor Day Weekend to Indianapolis the same weekend as DCI. More on this as it develops.

LOOKS GREAT! HOW CAN I WATCH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7wI3gt5dZk&t=690s

FloMarching is the official streaming company for DCI (and WGI). They broadcast selected shows live, and NEW FOR 2023 the shows will be rebroadcast 24 hours after the original airing (not the following morning like the last two years). There are little to no VOD options, so make sure you catch it when it’s happening. I did discover that if you were watching on the web you could rewind the current stream while it was active, so that’s something.

(Most performances are ripped to YouTube within hours of broadcast. Mods, I’ll take this out if necessary.)

FloMarching has a monthly subscription option, from what I recall, but I sign up for the full year because I’m hooked. Take this with a grain of salt and verify, but I believe if you were to sign up any time after July 13-14 you would be get all the major weekend shows from Drums Along the Rockies on the 15th through Finals on Aug 12th.

PREMIERE DATES (Subject to change due to weather, streaming premiere dates included if different from live)
code:
June 28 – Troopers, Colts, Cavaliers, Phantom Regiment, Blue Stars
June 30 – Carolina Crown
July 1 – Bluecoats (FloMarching reveal), Academy, Mandarins, Blue Devils, Pacific Crest, Cadets, Boston Crusaders, Madison Scouts
July 2 (streaming premieres) – Cadets, Boston Crusaders, Madison Scouts
July 5 – Music City, Bluecoats (streaming – first competitive show)
July 7 – Blue Knights, Genesis, Crossmen
July 8 – Sprit of Atlanta
July 12 – Seattle Cascades
July 15 – Drums Along the Rockies
July 19 – Jersey Surf
July 22 – DCI Southwestern Championship – The only time almost all World Class Corps perform at a single show until Prelims
July 28-30 – Southeastern shows, including DCI Atlanta.  Corps split across multiple shows/nights
July 30 – Jersey Surf (streaming premiere)
Aug 4-5 – Allentown, all corps over two nights
Aug 7-8 – Open Class Championships
Aug 10-12 – DCI Championships
Sept 2-3 – DCA Championships
DCA Championships (and Bands of America) is broadcast by Box5 Media, more to come on that.

SCORING/JUDGING

The scores don’t matter. Yes, there’s a limited number of Semis and Finals spots but a corps’ score is no reflection on how much you will enjoy the show. Watch drum corps, it rules! Love the shows you love, who cares if they’re 1st, 8th, or 23rd. Now that I’ve said that, here’s the high-level overview:

There are a number of judges who focus on various facets of the performance: brass, percussion, music, visual, guard, and the nebulous “General Effect”. Each judge provides two scores: Repertoire/Content and Performance/Achievement. It’s like Gymnastics or Figure Skating, you’re judged on what you do and how well you do it. The judges also use these scores to “rank and rate” the corps. This lets them say, for example, that Corps X is better than Corp Y in Percussion and by how much.

It’s very subjective, and while DCI continues to improve the process the scores exist set performance orders throughout the season and determine who performs on Friday and Saturday of Finals Week. In the end, 25 corps make Semis on Friday and the top 12 of those make Finals on Saturday. And then Blue Devils win because of course they do. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lNyQKqsTYc&t=559s

The opening night is less that an a week away! :woop:

Pinwiz11 fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jun 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Reserved for more info, hopefully including Open Class and DCA.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Opening Weekend Streaming Schedule:

Midwest Premiere
June 28 | Rockford, MI

Start Time: 8:00pm ET
8:10pm - Troopers
8:28pm - Colts
8:46pm - The Cavaliers
9:04pm - Phantom Regiment
9:22pm - Blue Stars
9:47pm - Scores Announced

DCI Central Indiana
June 30 | Muncie, IN

Start Time: 8:00pm ET
8:10pm - Colts
8:28pm - Troopers
8:46pm - Blue Stars
9:04pm - The Cavaliers
9:22pm - Phantom Regiment
9:40pm - Carolina Crown
9:58pm - Encore - Carolina Crown
10:05pm - Scores Announced

Corps at the Crest - San Diego
July 1 | Vista, CA

Start Time: 6:30pm PT
6:40pm - Blue Devils C
6:55pm - Vessel
7:10pm - Impulse
7:25pm - Golden Empire
7:40pm - Blue Devils B
7:55pm - Gold
8:10pm - Intermission
8:40pm - The Academy
8:58pm - Mandarins
9:16pm - Blue Devils
9:34pm - Pacific Crest
9:59pm - Scores Announced

Bluecoats Opening Night Community Celebration
July 1 | Alliance, OH

Start Time: 6:15pm ET
6:20pm - Rogues Hollow Regiment
6:35pm - Columbus Saints
6:50pm - Cincinnati Tradition
7:05pm - En-Rich-Ment Drumline
7:15pm - Bluecoats Alumni Ensemble Legacy Arc
7:30pm - Rhythm IN BLUE
7:50pm - WORLD DEBUT of the Bluecoats
8:10pm - Summer Arts Camp Performance w/ the Bluecoats
8:20pm - Bluecoats Encore
STREAM LIVE HERE

Cavalcade of Brass
July 2 | Lisle, IL

Start Time: 7:30pm CT
7:40pm - TBD SoundSport Team
7:50pm - Green Beret Marching Band
8:00pm - Sound of Sun Prairie
8:12pm - Colt Cadets
8:24pm - Intermission
8:51pm - Madison Scouts
9:08pm - Colts
9:25pm - Phantom Regiment
9:42pm - Carolina Crown
9:59pm - The Cavaliers
10:16pm - Encore - The Cavaliers & The Cavaliers Alumni
10:24pm - Scores Announced

DCI East Coast Showcase - Quincy
July 2 | Quincy, MA

Start Time: 7:00pm ET
7:10pm - Crusaders Senior
7:28pm - 7th Regiment
7:46pm - Spartans
8:04pm - Intermission
8:24pm - The Cadets
8:42pm - Boston Crusaders
9:00pm - U.S. Marine Drum & Bugle Corps
9:18pm - Encore - Boston Crusaders
9:25pm - Scores Announced

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Just bought tickets for Crownbeat. I'm here for thick brassy power chords and word is that's Crown's whole show.

I know there are former or current DCI goons on here so fuckin show up, guys

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

I need to rewatch Crown, it's a very different vibe this year.

I'm excited for tonight: Bluecoats and BD premiere, and we get to see where Academy, PC, and Scouts fall in the Finals fight. I'm assuming Mandarins are a lock.

e: BLUE DEVILS ARE PLAYING MUSIC FROM JOJO AS PART OF THEIR SHOW WHAT SZXDLFLKGJSD;PFOKGJAS;ELRDKFGJTA;LDKFHJGB

Pinwiz11 fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jul 2, 2023

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing
DCI was at my school in san bernardino this past weekend; didn't get to go because i had a shitload of homework to do, but my friends who went said it was great!

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Week Two!

And now things start to get interesting. After this week all World Class corps will be competing except for Cascades and Surf, so we can start getting a picture of who are contenders for the championship/finals/the theater broadcast/etc. Blue Devils, Crown, and Boston have all been in their separate circuits but that changes on Wednesday when Crown, BAC, and the premiering Bluecoats go head-to-head-to-head. (BD's first match vs any of these is at DATR against Boston.) Who will take the lead at this point of the season?

On the other side of Saturday, the rest of the Finals picture will start to come into focus after BK and Xmen have their first shows. Right now there are three spots open for Finals, will both of them get into that Finals mix with Troopers and Colts to make it a match? And will Spirit surprise everyone to make it more interesting?

What strides have Music City and Genesis made in the past year?

We'll know more after this weekend.

Debuting corps:

July 5 – Music City, Bluecoats
July 7 – Blue Knights, Genesis, Crossmen
July 8 – Sprit of Atlanta

:siren::siren::siren:Summer Music Games in Cincinnati:siren::siren::siren:
July 5 | Mason, OH
Start Time: 7:00pm ET

7:15pm - Eclipse
7:27pm - Columbus Saints
7:44pm - Cincinnati Tradition
8:01pm - Music City
8:18pm - Intermission
8:38pm - Troopers
8:55pm - Carolina Crown
9:12pm - Boston Crusaders
9:29pm - Bluecoats

Midwest Classic
July 7 | DeKalb, IL
Start Time: 7:00pm CT

7:17pm - Genesis
7:34pm - Madison Scouts
7:51pm - Crossmen
8:08pm - Troopers
8:25pm - Colts
8:42pm - Intermission
9:12pm - The Cavaliers
9:29pm - Blue Stars
9:46pm - Boston Crusaders
10:03pm - Phantom Regiment

MidCal Champions Showcase
July 7 | Fresno, CA
Start Time: 7:50pm PT

8:00pm - Spirit of Sunnyvale
8:15pm - Golden Empire
8:30pm - Gold
8:45pm - Blue Devils B
9:00pm - Intermission
9:20pm - Pacific Crest
9:37pm - Mandarins
9:54pm - Blue Knights
10:11pm - Blue Devils

CrownBEAT
July 8 | Lexington, SC
Start Time: 7:30pm ET

7:40pm - IMPACT DRum & Bugle Corps
7:52pm - Heat Wave
8:09pm - Spartans
8:26pm - Spirit of Atlanta
8:43pm - Intermission
9:00pm - Music City
9:17pm - The Cadets
9:34pm - Bluecoats
9:51pm - Carolina Crown

DCI West
July 9 | Stanford, CA
Start Time: 6:00pm PT

6:10pm - Alisal Community Arts Network Marching Band
6:20pm - Alisal Union School District All-Star Academy
6:30pm - Spirit of Sunnvale
6:45pm - Impulse
7:00pm - Freelancers Alumni Corps
7:15pm - Vessel
7:30pm - Golden Empire
7:45pm - Gold
8:00pm - Blue Devils B
8:15pm - Blue Devils C
8:30pm - Intermission
8:50pm - Pacific Crest
9:07pm - The Academy
9:24pm - Blue Knights
9:41pm - Mandarins
9:58pm - Blue Devils

River City Rhapsody - La Crosse
July 9 | La Crosse, WI

7:17pm - Genesis
7:34pm - Crossmen
7:51pm - Madison Scouts
8:25pm - Intermission
8:45pm - Colts
9:02pm - Phantom Regiment
9:19pm - Boston Crusaders
9:36pm - Blue Stars

Pinwiz11 fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jul 4, 2023

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

A little bummed that Crusaders aren't playing at Crownbeat this time, cause I loved Cones of Dunshire last year and this year's show looks like it fuckin slaps too.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

1 - Carolina Crown - 80.150
2 - Bluecoats - 79.850
3 - Boston Crusaders - 79.750
4 - Troopers - 72.050
5 - Music City - 66.250

:drat:

That close when all of the shows have so much to add? And we may not get another full head-to-head until after DATR.

In other news, Troopers are blowing away their scores from last year. Friday night marks the equivalent of their first score from 2022, and they're around seven points up already. I can't wait for Xmen and BK to get their first scores in to determine how anxious I need to be.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Crownbeat was great.

Spirit has a ton of talent on the field and they're every bit as good as the other four World Class corps that followed them. I hope they stay competitive.

I missed the first part of Music City because the concession lines were so long but they sounded great and I'm happy they're a contender.

Cadets were neat but I don't have a ton of strong feelings about them.

My biggest takeaway was how let down I felt by the Bluecoats. I'm not trying to be a snooty old head or anything, because I know electronics are here to stay and I like the use of them to boost bass or whatever, but huge chunks of the Coats was literally just pre-recorded music. Which sucks because their brass line is fire and the big musical and battery hits were great. I just didn't like all the voiceover and recordings. Maybe they'll modify it before finals? I guess overall I was expecting a lot more because they're one of my favorite corps.

Crown's show is absolutely phenomenal. Concept, music, guard, drums all execute beautifully. I feel like they're going to be underrated again, but I can't wait to see them go up against the Cavs and the west coast groups.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Last night all currently competing World Class corps performed, so we can at least see how they line up:

code:
Blue Devils 84.10 (3)
Boston Crusaders 82.55 (2)
Carolina Crown 81.70 (1)
Bluecoats 81.25 (1)
Phantom Regiment 80.00 (2)
Mandarins 78.05 (3)
The Cavaliers 77.65 (2)
Blue Stars 77.05 (2)
The Cadets 76.45 (1)
Troopers 75.95 (2)
Colts 75.10 (2)
Blue Knights 72.45 (3)
-----
Madison Scouts 71.85 (2)
The Academy 71.10 (3)
Pacific Crest 71.10 (3)
Crossmen 70.95 (2)
Spirit of Atlanta 70.50 (1)
Music City 68.00 (1)
Genesis 66.45 (2)

(1) - East Coast
(2) - Midwest
(3) - West Coast
Obviously we can't use this as a true comparison because corps need to go head-to-head, but that's not going to start until BD v Boston and Troop v BK next Saturday. Still, if BK's score is real then we have a real fight for 12th brewing that could involve multiple corps. I expect that things will start to get more clear in the next week weeks to make it less of a horse race.

At the top, it seems like all of the contenders are lacking something in their show design... things that I expect will be added before the end of the season. Boston needs to work on the ending of the show to better tell the story, Bluecoats are hinting at some darker element with the poem that drives the show and I keep waiting for the payoff, Crown just needs more and why isn't there a crown drill set for a Camelot show, BD needs to be more BD at the end. I expect that will come.

I went to Whitewater last night and Phantom, Troop, and Colts are great shows. Cavies could have something special but it still needs a lot of work, I actually like Blue Stars for once, and Boston looks like they started the adjustments I mentioned above. I had to skip out on Madison to go deliver my care package to the current Trooper that I'm paired with as Alumni before the corps left, but I like what they are doing and would not be mad if they were in the 12th place fight at the end.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

WEEK THREE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBKfaZ3Vjyc
:getin:

It's a relatively calm week with some important implications at the end. The East/West/Central tours continue with some slight movements, primarily Boston and Troopers heading to Colorado for DATR and Seattle Cascades entering the competitive tour. The results of Friday and Saturday nights will determine the seeding for San Antonio, so every point is important as dropping into the next pod of three could theoretically cost five spots in the SA performance order.

In addition, there aren't that many streams so get your rest while you can. This weekend marks point where you can sub for a month an watch through Finals.

Corps Encore
Wed, July 12 | Salt Lake City, UT
Start Time: 7:00pm MT

7:07pm - Gems
7:22pm - The Battalion
7:39p - Seattle Cascades
7:56pm - The Academy
8:13pm - Pacific Crest
8:30pm - Intermission
8:50pm - Mandarins
9:07pm - Blue Devils
9:24pm - Blue Knights

Music on the March
Fri, July 14 | Dubuque, IA

7:10pm - Colts Alumni Corps
7:20pm - Conquest Drum & Bugle Corps
7:32pm - Colt Cadets
7:49pm - River City Rhythm
8:06pm - Genesis
8:23pm - Intermssion
8:43pm - Crossmen
9:00pm - Madison Scouts
9:17pm - Blue Stars
9:34pm - Phantom Regiment
9:51pm - Colts

Drums Along the Rockies
Sat, July 15 | Fort Collins, CO
Start Time: 7:00pm MT

6:30pm - BKXperience
6:45pm - Welcome & National Anthem
7:00pm - The Battalion
7:17pm - Seattle Cascades
7:34pm - Pacific Crest
7:51pm - The Academy
8:25pm - Intermission
8:45pm - Mandarins
9:02pm - Blue Devils
9:19pm - Boston Crusaders
9:36pm - Blue Knights

So Cal Classic
Sun, July 16 | Duarte, San Gabriel Valley, CA
Start Time: 6:00pm PT

6:10pm - Freelancers Alumni Corps
TBA - Impulse
TBA - Gold
TBA - Golden Empire
TBA - Blue Devils C
TBA - Vessel
TBA - Blue Devils B

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

WEEK 4 – San Antonio

And now the tour starts getting real.

First, we have Tuesday’s show in Broken Arrow, OK, where the Top 7 of last year all compete at once. This will be the first chance to see Bluecoats and Crown get judged opposite Blue Devils. It’s a must-watch show.

Then this Saturday, all the World Class corps (except for Jersey Surf) will be performing in San Antonio. This is the only time that everyone is at the same show before Prelims, and it serves three purposes:
• It sets the performance order for the rest of the season at normal shows,
• It’s the first of three scores used to determine the Prelims lineup, and
• It sets the performance order for next weekend’s regionals, which is the second score for Prelims

The San Antonio lineup was based on the results from Saturday night (https://www.dci.org/events/2023-dci-southwestern-championship), and there were some interesting outcomes:
• Crown is in 4th, placing them in a random pod with Mandarins and Phantom but still ended up seeded 4th
• Yes, Mandarins. Mandarins were in 5th place after DATR. They’re going on in 6th
• Troopers tied Blue Stars at 9th, which propelled them up to the next pod. Troop goes on in 8th, after Cadets and Blue Stars (HLD WOOOOOOOOOO)
• Pacific Crest jumped to 12th place, and is firmly in control of the last spot of Finals for now

That’s how things stand now, but all the various tours will finally combine, and who knows what will happen?

There are tons of streams this weekend, so it’s a good time to hop into a month of Flo!

e: Check schedules on the day of, these shows may be delayed due to the heat.

West Texas Drums
Mon, July 17 - Canyon, TX - 7:30pm CT

:siren::siren::siren:DCI Broken Arrow:siren::siren::siren:
Tues, July 18 - Broken Arrow, OK - 8:00pm CT – Top 7

DCI Austin
Thurs, July 20 - Austin, TX - 8:00pm CT

DCI Denton
Thurs, July 20 - Denton, TX - 8:00pm CT – Boston/Bluecoats/Crown

DCI Houston
Fri, July 21 - Houston, TX - 8:00pm CT – Crown/BD/Bluecoats

:siren::siren::siren:DCI Southwestern Championship:siren::siren::siren:
Sat, July 22 - San Antonio, TX - 1:30pm CT - EVERYONE

Pinwiz11 fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jul 18, 2023

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

WEEK 5 - Atlanta and Nigthbeat

(I don't care if it's just me, I'm still posting the highlights.)

San Antonio happened and the results gave a big shrug emoji to a lot of the pending questions. Among the numbers:
- Crown, Bluecoats, and Boston are basically within a point of each other... and Boston is exactly a point behind BD
- Phantom and Mandarins TIED, while Cadets are close behind them
- Colts and Troopers are within .0125 of each other
- PC and BK are .3 apart in the Finals fight
- Madison and Academy are .3 apart in the fight for the theater broadcast

And then the show updates started to happen. Among them:
- Troopers unveiled their new ending and finally Lassoed that Sun
- Mandarins... just go look it up. OMG
- Boston added a flyover to the final movement to better sell the whale attack, much needed
- Crown added some color to help better identify the Arthur, Guinevere, and Lancelot characters
- And more that I'm sure I missed

Also, Jersey Surf debuted, and chances are good that they make it into Semis.

Now all the corps head east for the weekend's big shows: The annual "Masters of the Summer Music Games" in TN, the Atlanta regional, and Nightbeat in NC. What new things will be unveiled next weekend? Who will take the lead?

DCI Mesquite - Monday - 8 pm CDT
Blue Knights, Blue Stars, Boston Crusaders, Carolina Crown, The Cavaliers, Colts, Crossmen, Genesis, Madison Scouts, Pacific Crest, Seattle Cascades, Spirit of Atlanta

DCI Southern Mississippi - Wednesday - 7:30 pm CDT
Blue Devils, Blue Stars, Boston Crusaders, The Cavaliers, Madison Scouts, Phantom Regiment

The Masters of the Summer Music Games - Friday - 7:30 pm CDT
Blue Devils, Blue Stars, Bluecoats, Boston Crusaders, The Cadets, Carolina Crown, Music City, Phantom Regiment

DCI Southeastern Championship - Saturday - 4 pm CDT
Atlanta CV, Blue Devils, Blue Knights, Bluecoats, Boston Crusaders, The Cadets, Carolina Crown, The Cavaliers, Heat Wave, Madison Scouts, Music City, Pacific Crest, Phantom Regiment, Spirit of Atlanta, Troopers

Nighbeat - Sunday - 4 pm CDT
The Academy, Blue Devils, Blue Stars, Bluecoats, The Cadets, Carolina Crown, Colts, Crossmen, Genesis, Jersey Surf, Mandarins, Seattle Cascades

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Pinwiz11 posted:

WEEK 5 - Atlanta and Nigthbeat

(I don't care if it's just me, I'm still posting the highlights.)

It's much appreciated :sax:

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
I don’t mind if you keep posting. I’ll lurk this thread eagerly.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Aw, thanks! I wasn't trying to solicit anything, but I figured I should lampshade the consecutive posts. :)

A few clips of changes from Saturday:

Boston:
https://twitter.com/DCI/status/1683160293713809408

Mandarins:
https://twitter.com/DCI/status/1682918019733811200
(Now to find that video of Les Étoiles in the 90s with their acrobatic prop...)

Troopers (side view):
https://twitter.com/DCI/status/1682911535927025664

Pinwiz11 fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jul 24, 2023

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

:derp::derp::derp::derp::derp::derp:

CROWN BEAT BOSTON
XMEN BEAT BOTH PC AND BK
WHAT

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Murphysboro whatever; we had 10th-14th all at the same show tonight and

:munch:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

:catstare: why did none of you assholes tell me the goddamnfucking Blue Devils were playing Jojo anime music in their show this year?

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I. M. Gei posted:

:catstare: why did none of you assholes tell me the goddamnfucking Blue Devils were playing Jojo anime music in their show this year?

Nobody tell this guy they played Tank! last year

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

I want to know who in BD's design team is the anime fan. Granted, none of these are deep cuts but what if they continue this trend?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Pinwiz11 posted:

I want to know who in BD's design team is the anime fan. Granted, none of these are deep cuts but what if they continue this trend?

They probably will. Anime and video games have become increasingly mainstream over the last decade, so it would make sense to see it show up in things more often.

Hazo posted:

Nobody tell this guy they played Tank! last year

I didn't know that either.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

I. M. Gei posted:

I didn't know that either.

It's in the second half of Dci's clip for last year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVp98spqUpI

I'm not as big of a Cowboy Bebop fan so I just thought it was cool, vs :supaburn: this summer.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Pinwiz11 can you hook me up with a good Youtube link for that Blue Devils show with the Jojo in it? Preferably the full show.

Someone who's not familiar with DCI was asking me about it off-site and I'd like to show it to them, but I haven't followed DCI in ages and I'm betting you could find a better video of it than me.

You can PM me the link if you don't want to post it here.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

I. M. Gei posted:

Pinwiz11 can you hook me up with a good Youtube link for that Blue Devils show with the Jojo in it? Preferably the full show.

Someone who's not familiar with DCI was asking me about it off-site and I'd like to show it to them, but I haven't followed DCI in ages and I'm betting you could find a better video of it than me.

You can PM me the link if you don't want to post it here.

This is from Flomarching a couple of days ago, so at least it has the Flo audio if not the best video (JoJo starts around 2:25):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmB2C708aOc

Flo's been way more aggressive with pulling videos down this year, to the point where I'm making my own copies of all of Troopers' performances for my own mid-season reference. I'd recommend downloading it from YT.

Meanwhile, BD's show has lept up to a 2 point lead, with Bluecoats falling to fourth after a 0.4 point penalty.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

WEEK SIX - WHAT DO YOU MEAN IT'S ALMOST OVER WE JUST STARTED ;SLDFKJG;LKERJRT;LAKSDJFH;BVV

Two Regionals down and except for Blue Devils things are tight in terms of Prelims. Here's the my calculated standings after two weeks:

1 Blue Devils 93.450
2 Boston Crusaders 91.825
3 Bluecoats 91.706
4 Carolina Crown 91.594
5 Phantom Regiment 88.475
6 Mandarins 88.469
7 The Cadets 88.331
8 The Cavaliers 86.807
9 Blue Stars 85.275
10 Colts 84.338
11 Troopers 84.332
12 Blue Knights 81.269
==============================
13 Pacific Crest 80.975
14 Crossmen 79.900
15 Madison Scouts 78.488
==============================
16 The Academy 78.469
17 Spirit of Atlanta 78.075
18 Music City 77.325
19 Genesis 73.875
20 Jersey Surf 70.963
21 Seattle Cascades 69.225

A couple of interesting tidbits:
- Bluecoats are lucky they got a second run at NightBeat, that kept them in third place
- Boston was 4th this weekend, which means they could potentially go on before Crown, Cadets, and Phantom next Saturday.
- Cadets knocked Mandarins back to the 7-9 pad for Allentown
- Troopers and Colts TIED AGAIN (at different shows); they're approx 0.005 points apart from each other for Prelims
- BK has taken the 12th place spot from Xmen, who took it from Pacific Crest earlier this week, who took it from BK a couple of weeks ago
- Madison and Academy are soooo close on the fight for the theater broadcast, but it was Spirit that took 15th this weekend
- First viewing of Jersey Surf, it's a very fun show!
- :munch:

THIS WEEK:

Not many streams, but World Class is moving to Pennsylvania for the final Allentown regional while Open Class converges in the midwest before their championships. The shows this week will set the Prelims order for both groups.

Wed, Aug 2 - Soaring Sounds - 7 pm Eastern
The Academy, The Cavaliers, Cincinnati Tradition, Colts, Crossmen, Music City, Pacific Crest, Spartans

I'm probably tuning in for Spartans at a minimum, since they're probably winning Open Class.

Fri, Aug 4 - DCI Eastern Classic Night One - 7 pm Eastern
Bluecoats, Pacific Crest, Blue Devils, The Cavaliers, Troopers, Blue Knights, Seattle Cascades, Genesis, Bushwackers, The Academy, Blue Stars, Fusion Core

Sat, Aug 5 - DCI Eastern Classic Night Two - 7 pm Eastern
Phantom Regiment, Madison Scouts, Jersey Surf, Carolina Crown, Mandarins, The Cadets, Music City, Hawthorne Caballeros, Reading Buccaneers, Boston Crusaders, Sonos Brass Theater, Crossmen, Colts, Spirit of Atlanta

Besides being the final regional, this is often where final changes debut. For example, Allentown was where we saw the real ending to Spartacus:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYOItklWuWA

I hope the members all have great shows and get their fill of funnel cake.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Allentown Night 1 Preview/Notes:

The split between Night 1 and 2 is set during the off-season, so you never know how the two nights are going to play out when actual scores come into play. Based on the scores, Night 2 is way more interesting but there are things to look towards on Friday:

The obvious one is that BD and Bluecoats both compete, with Bluecoats going on last. Their last scores were effectively tied but at different shows. I expect BD to win tomorrow, but can Bluecoats make it close?

Blue Knights and Pacific Crest are fighting for the 12th place spot at Prelims. It's not impossible for PC to take the lead by enough to leap ahead of BK. And can both of them make it harder for Xmen to move out of 14th on Saturday? Xmen is currently the leader for the last Finals spot but it's changed so many times that Prelims order may make an impact.

Finally, Academy is neck-and neck-and-neck with Madison and Spirit for the first spot on the Big Loud and Live theater show. Can they make it difficult for the Saturday corps?

And selfishly, can Troopers set a DCI score record? They were 0.5 behind that on Tuesday night.

Night 2 update to come once we have scores for Night 1.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

My wild take is that Blue Knights will make the top 12 and Crown will sneak into the top 3.

Devils are probably going to win and that makes a lot of oldhead nerds angry, but their show is undeniably tight. The concept is such a weird show but the Joni Mitchell ballad is beautiful

Hazo fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Aug 4, 2023

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

This is definitely a year where I really like BD's show. There were years when we first settled into Indy where their shows were just painful to sit through, but I've loved the current direction. I'm still pulling for an upset, but like the last few years I can't argue with them winning.

They also released a 30-minute dissection of the show today and what is behind the various sections, it's great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjNxsq2G-rc

So much is up in the air at this point all the way down World Class:

BD
Boston/Bluecoats/Crown
PR/Mandarins/Cadets
Cavies
BStars/Colts/Troopers
BK/PC/Xmen
Madison/Spirit/Academy

It's wonderful.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

ALLENTOWN - DAY 2 PREVIEW

Two big score surprises from Night 1:
- Bluecoats scores just over 0.5 behind Blue Devils, and
- Troopers bested Blue Stars for the first time this season by almost a point. (And set a record high score :woop: >"< :woop:)

Now that we have the first night, we can benchmark what each corps needs to score to maintain/improve their Prelims seed:

[BD is locked into 1st place, barring anyone scoring a 99.5 tomorrow :laffo:]
Boston needs over a 95.013 to take 2nd
Crown needs over a 95.475 to take 2nd
Phantom is currently in 5th
Mandarins need to beat Phantom by more than 0.012 to take 5th
Cadets need to beat Mandarins by more than 0.275, and beat Phantom by more than 0.287
Colts need to score higher than 88.513 to stay in 10th
Xmen need to beat 85.975 to move ahead of PC, 87.426 to move into 12th ahead of BK
Madison needs to beat 81.988 to claim 15th and a spot on the Prelims theater broadcast
Spirit needs too beat 82.813 to have a chance at 15th, and also beat Madison by 0.825
Music City needs to beat 84.313 to jump to 15th, but there's also a lot of permutations with the corps in that 15-18 range
Surf should be a lock for 20th.

Let's goooooooo! And by "Let's go" I mean I'm going to watch the Senior Corps and Surf and then wait until Prelims :supaburn:

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

ALLENTOWN AFTERMATH

The usual disclaimer: these are across two nights (with the same judges)...

1 - Blue Devils - 95.775
2 - Boston Crusaders - 95.475
3 - Carolina Crown - 95.438
4 - Bluecoats - 95.250

Everyone is within 0.525 of each other! Please let the scores stay this close next week.

5 - The Cadets - 92.125
6 - Mandarins - 91.988
7 - Phantom Regiment - 91.975
8 - The Cavaliers - 91.050

Cadets, Mandarins, and PR are within 0.150!!! Cavies are lurking, ready to pounce!

9 - Troopers - 88.525
10 - Colts - 88.163
11 - Blue Stars - 87.550

Troop, Colts, and Blue Stars are within a point!

12 - Crossmen - 85.388
13 - Blue Knights - 84.688
14 - Spirit of Atlanta - 83.938
15 - Pacific Crest - 83.825

If PC is a potential Finalist candidate, and Spirit outscored PC, then via the transitive property...

16 - The Academy - 82.025
17 - Madison Scouts - 81.913
18 - Music City - 80.250
19 - Genesis - 78.275
20 - Jersey Surf - 74.975
21 - Seattle Cascades - 74.625

And that gives us the Prelims lineup, assuming that I typed everything correctly:

1 - Blue Devils - 94.225
2 - Boston Crusaders - 93.042
3 - Bluecoats - 92.888
4 - Carolina Crown - 92.875
5 - Mandarins - 89.642
T - Phantom Regiment - 89.642

7 - The Cadets - 89.596
8 - The Cavaliers - 88.221
9 - Blue Stars - 86.033
10 - Troopers - 85.729
11 - Colts - 85.613
12 - Blue Knights - 82.409
---------------------------------------------
13 - Pacific Crest - 81.925
14 - Crossmen - 81.729
15 - Spirit of Atlanta - 80.029
---------------------------------------------
16 - The Academy - 79.654
17 - Madison Scouts - 79.629
18 - Music City - 78.300
19 - Genesis - 75.342
20 - Jersey Surf - 72.300
21 - Seattle Cascades - 71.025

Spirit steals the theater broadcast spot! Mandarins and Phantom are tied! :derp:

Full details tomorrow once they finalize schedules.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I played snare with Mandarins back in the day and holy poo poo I can’t believe they’re actually good. Like, beating Cavies, Cadets, and Phantom good. They have a shot at making top 5? What the gently caress???

Still haven’t seen any shows this year but maybe I’ll stream finals.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

FINALS WEEK

https://www.dci.org/news/day-by-day-guide-to-the-2023-dci-world-championships

It. Is. Time. All of the corps converge on Indianapolis for the final week of the season, and we'll have two champions by next Saturday.

Before we go down the lineup, World Class shows are still ongoing through Tuesday. None of them are streamed, but there are a couple of interesting matchups:

Sunday, Aug 6 - DCI Pittsburgh - Crown v BD
Monday, Aug 7 - Innovations in Brass (Canton, OH) - Boston v Bluecoats

All of the major shows from Finals are being streamed on Flo, so except for the Top 15 of Prelims you can watch the entire competition at home. I'm not listing all the supplemental events, check Flomarching for the full schedule, but here's the key shows this week:

Open Class Prelims - Marion, IN - Monday, Aug 7 (All times Eastern)

6:15 PM Eclipse - Indianapolis, IN
6:27 PM Les Stentors - Sherbrooke, QC
6:44 PM Colt Cadets - Dubuque, IA
7:01 PM Raiders - Princeton, NJ
7:18 PM 7th Regiment - New London, CT
7:35 PM River City Rhythm - Anoka, MN
7:52 PM Intermission
8:09 PM Guardians - Houston, TX
8:26 PM The Battalion - Salt Lake City, UT
8:43 PM Columbians - Tri-Cities, WA
9:00 PM Southwind - Mobile, AL
9:17 PM Gold - San Diego, CA
9:34 PM Spartans - Nashua, NH

Open Class Finals - Marion, IN - Tuesday, Aug 8, 6 pm Eastern

World Class Prelims - Indianapolis - Thursday, Aug 10 - 11:30am Eastern

UPDATE: Maybe they're showing the entire Prelims as well? Double-check and verify. If it's similar to past years, Flo will stream through Academy. If you want to watch the Top 15, you need to go to the Big, Loud, and Live broadcasts: https://www.fathomevents.com/events/DCI-2023-Big-Loud--Live?date=2023-08-10

Prelims is my favorite day of the year. :woop:

World Class Semis - Indianapolis - Friday, Aug 11 - Noon Eastern

The Top 25 from Thursday perform again. Included at the end is a performance by the Troopers Legacy Corps (I will not be performing with them because I waited too long to sign up) and the Age-Out ceremony.

World Class Finals - Indianapolis - Saturday, Aug 12 - 5:30 pm Eastern

The Top 12 perform for the last time, and a winner is crowned. Who will perform? Will the audience be able to get into the stadium in time this year???

Pinwiz11 fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Aug 7, 2023

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Eyyyy Drum Corps thread. I worked with Crown in '15 '16 doing media. Standing on the field right in front of them at the Mercedes dome in Atl in '16 was a hell of an experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMWMqvMsoUc

Crown's (final?) changes to the show own. This year really came together. The brass writing is different but still has the power and intensity, maybe even more than usual for them. Absolutely love the call-backs sprinkled throughout too. Could definitely see them sneaking in a 2nd place with some caption wins.

BD is clean as ever and I like this show more than last years'. I don't like the new era of psychedelic Bloo, much preferred Tilt/Kinetic/Downside style for them. SCV is sorely missed this year, hope they can get things straight.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Aug 9, 2023

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

It's taking all my willpower not to watch the new endings before tomorrow... :)

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Looks like if scores hold where they are Mandarins are just barely going to get edged out of the 5 spot by Cadets. Still though, hell of a season for them. Never thought I’d see them make top 12 let alone top 6.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Crown takes 2nd tonight. Devils are a lock in, but I don't see the 2pt gap for them when the captions are what they are.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Notes from the stadium the last two days:

Favorites from the non-finalists: Columbians, Gold, Genesis, and Spirit. Especially Columbians for their first Finals trip.

Cavies's drums are that good, it rules.

Crown definitely leveled up for Finals week. I'm not sure who takes second tonight, but winning overall Music last night was correct.

Troopers Legacy Corps made me cry, especially when the A Corps went out on the field with them.

The update to Troopers' ending last night made me burst into flame, it was so perfect.

If I had a choice, I'd put Mandarins in 5th but no shame wherever they end up because things are so close.

And now it's almost over. :smith:

To wrap things up, the joke from Genesis's pre-show at Semis:

"Hey ChatPhoenix, tell us a joke!"
"Here's a good one! What's the difference between a Top 12 drum corps and a Bottom 12 drum corps? Who cares, Blue Devils will probably win anyway!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Is this the year of the most dangerous props? Between the vomit comets from the Mandarins to the shaky rear end risers Troopers are using I'm amazed no one has been seriously injured.

I'm cool with BD winning, this is their most fun show in a while and they're killing it. Probably their best since 2017.