Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/matttomic/status/1394498097254965249

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Anyone got a link to the MLB.tv sharing thread? I always forget which sub forum it's in.

MEET THE TEAMS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4027936

https://i.imgur.com/5GipB5U.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Go Pirates

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
My team may be in 3rd in our division, but the AL central should all be ashamed of themselves.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Inspector_666 posted:

My team may be in 3rd in our division, but the AL central should all be ashamed of themselves.

I'm perfectly happy with the Twins being 10th in run differential (and both the teams directly ahead of them have played more games) and am looking forward to nature healing as they play one of the easiest second half schedules in the league.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
The Reds/Brewers leading the NL Central are 1.5 games back of a Wild Card spot lol

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Huh - turns out Cristopher Morel is the best player in the MLB after all.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Alek Manoah threw 5 innings in AA with 10 strikeouts and 1 earned run so maybe he's fixed? Apparently he got more comfortable as the game went on and was back to pitching like himself by the end of his outing.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

What’s bad about the “Tungsten-arm” tweet is that Trout will never in a full season hit within 300 points of .580

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Next you'll tell me Tungsten Arm O'Doyle nor the Akron Groomsmen ever existed!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

MrMojok posted:

What’s bad about the “Tungsten-arm” tweet is that Trout will never in a full season hit within 300 points of .580

Mike trout has hit within 300 points of .580 in literally every year of his career outside the first one where he didn't even play enough to not count as a rookie the next season.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Angels trying very hard to stay out of the wild card, that's four lost or split series in a row.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Popete posted:

The Reds/Brewers leading the NL Central are 1.5 games back of a Wild Card spot lol

the reds are fun as hell love this team love da reds

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Whit Merrifield is an all star lmao

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Well I'm glad I at least contributed something.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm perfectly happy with the Twins being 10th in run differential (and both the teams directly ahead of them have played more games) and am looking forward to nature healing as they play one of the easiest second half schedules in the league.

I'm really not a fan of how much the bats have been struggling, but it's been extremely refreshing to have so many reliable pitchers and an actual honest-to-God closer. If you're right and we managed to get out of the harder half of our schedule with a .500 record, then maybe things will be looking up!

Or maybe this goddamn heat will just melt the city into vapor and we'll all drift away on the wind. I wouldn't rule it out, I think we've had more days over 85 this summer so far than not.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

folks, i don't think this is the mariners' year

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Im gonna be at the game in Milwaukee today to see the Cubs lose.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
They should split the league geographically down the middle cause I fuckin hate west coast trips. I wont be able to watch my beloved battlin Buccos again til Saturday!

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band
Jays are actually really bad and I don't like them

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I can't wait to see Morel/Ohtani/Gomes in a lineup.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Mustached Demon posted:

I can't wait to see Morel/Ohtani/Gomes in a lineup.

The only way youll see this is if you play Franchise Mode on The Show

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Redeye Flight posted:

I'm really not a fan of how much the bats have been struggling, but it's been extremely refreshing to have so many reliable pitchers and an actual honest-to-God closer. If you're right and we managed to get out of the harder half of our schedule with a .500 record, then maybe things will be looking up!

Or maybe this goddamn heat will just melt the city into vapor and we'll all drift away on the wind. I wouldn't rule it out, I think we've had more days over 85 this summer so far than not.

You mean you don't like winning a 8-1 blowout and a 1-0 game of squandered chances, and then losing 2-1 with our actual closer blowing the save?

That's outscoring em 10-3!

:negative:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Mustached Demon posted:

I can't wait to see Crow-Armstrong/Ohtani/Mervis in a lineup.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

It's adorable you Cubs fans almost forgot you have one of the worst managers leading your team.

These are all pipe dreams.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

More news/signs that point to Brantley being done. Another great offseason signing!

From Rotoworld (https://www.nbcsports.com/fantasy/baseball/player-news?playerNewsId=00000189-1caa-df10-afd9-fcbf4c690000):

Astros manager Dusty Baker told reporters Monday that Michael Brantley (shoulder) has “plateaued” in his rehabilitation process.

It’s an ominous-sounding description, but it merely sounds like the Astros don’t believe Brantley is ready to return to the majors, and they want to take it slow moving forward. There is no timetable for his potential return from last year’s shoulder surgery, and it’s starting to feel like there’s a chance he never makes it back to Houston. It certainly feels like his days as a relevant mixed-league fantasy contributor are over.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Some positive stuff to show regarding the A's which I thought was very cool.

Video of Brent Rooker being told he made the All-Star team:
https://twitter.com/Jared_Carrabis/status/1675669786972377089?s=20

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
coming in second to Ohtani should be graded on a curve. hell yeah Rook :)

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Kirios posted:

It's adorable you Cubs fans almost forgot you have one of the worst managers leading your team.

These are all pipe dreams.

It's hard to tell since he never shuts up but he's actually an occasional booth guy not manager.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Ross is fine, you can squabble about lineup choices but at the end of the day the Cubs offense is very lacking and that's not gonna change without acquiring some actual power bats.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Popete posted:

Ross is fine, you can squabble about lineup choices but at the end of the day the Cubs offense is very lacking and that's not gonna change without acquiring some actual power bats.

Nah he's consistently had weird hangups about letting the young guys eat and attaches himself to crusty vets like a security blanket. The Hosmer situation was hilariously mismanaged by Ross trying to treat him as an everyday player. Ortega took up a stupid amount of starts last year. Velasquez came up and hit a grand slam in his first game back this year and then Ross inexplicably benched him for a week until he could be sent back down. The Rios and Torrens situations were just bizarre while also being eerily identical to how Ross treated younger bench guys prior with Hermosillo, Robel, Frazier, etc. And yeah, none of these guys are exactly superstars but any potential ability they may have had/have to impact the MLB team is unknown because Ross won't give you any runway unless you're being paid a bunch or over 30.

He's also slavishly dedicated to matchups to the point I'm surprised opposing managers don't gently caress with him more over it. Like he will happily come out and pull a guy having a 3-4, BB, HR day for a PH with a 60 wRC+ because it gives him the handedness matchup.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

rickiep00h posted:

You mean you don't like winning a 8-1 blowout and a 1-0 game of squandered chances, and then losing 2-1 with our actual closer blowing the save?

I'm gonna be honest, I don't really care how we do it if we win a series. It's losing a series outscoring the other team 10-3 that would drive me insane.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm gonna be honest, I don't really care how we do it if we win a series. It's losing a series outscoring the other team 10-3 that would drive me insane.

I call this road trip "1960 World Series"

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1675936222122848256

Chris Flexen and Trevor Gott for Zach Muckenhirn. Both the Mets and Mariners are instantly fixed.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Sydin posted:

Nah he's consistently had weird hangups about letting the young guys eat and attaches himself to crusty vets like a security blanket. The Hosmer situation was hilariously mismanaged by Ross trying to treat him as an everyday player. Ortega took up a stupid amount of starts last year. Velasquez came up and hit a grand slam in his first game back this year and then Ross inexplicably benched him for a week until he could be sent back down. The Rios and Torrens situations were just bizarre while also being eerily identical to how Ross treated younger bench guys prior with Hermosillo, Robel, Frazier, etc. And yeah, none of these guys are exactly superstars but any potential ability they may have had/have to impact the MLB team is unknown because Ross won't give you any runway unless you're being paid a bunch or over 30.

He's also slavishly dedicated to matchups to the point I'm surprised opposing managers don't gently caress with him more over it. Like he will happily come out and pull a guy having a 3-4, BB, HR day for a PH with a 60 wRC+ because it gives him the handedness matchup.

They gave Hosmer a chance and then did dump him only to replace him with a guy who actually managed to hit worse. If their were clear obvious better choices to make I'd be more upset about lineups but there just isn't. Everything is a trade off. Morel should be in the lineup every day other than that it's all whatever. This team doesn't have the offensive output to seriously contend and they need to sign some big bats (just get Ohtani and I don't care if we lose 100 games).

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.

rickiep00h posted:

Padres.txt

Baseball is stupid

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Popete posted:

They gave Hosmer a chance and then did dump him only to replace him with a guy who actually managed to hit worse. If their were clear obvious better choices to make I'd be more upset about lineups but there just isn't. Everything is a trade off. Morel should be in the lineup every day other than that it's all whatever. This team doesn't have the offensive output to seriously contend and they need to sign some big bats (just get Ohtani and I don't care if we lose 100 games).

The clear and obvious better choice was to just roll with Mervis and give him runway to figure it out. If there are no good options anyway then why not let the rookie try to find his footing instead of squandering AB's on a busted veteran who doesn't factor at all into the future? That was true of Hosmer when he was gobbling up starts at 1B/DH and it's just as true now of Mancini.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

It's the allure of crusty vets getting hot and flipped at the deadline. For more prospects that you let rot of course.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Buddy of mine posed an interesting hypothetical/thought exercise earlier. Say there’s a guy who’s a terrible hitter/defender (let’s say OPS ~.500), but no matter what, gets high pitch count ABs. How many pitches per AB would he have to average to be 1. an everyday player 2. an all-star 3. an MVP

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

illcendiary posted:

Buddy of mine posed an interesting hypothetical/thought exercise earlier. Say there’s a guy who’s a terrible hitter/defender (let’s say OPS ~.500), but no matter what, gets high pitch count ABs. How many pitches per AB would he have to average to be 1. an everyday player 2. an all-star 3. an MVP

Like 20 but only as a catcher or something. 2 and 3 are out though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

illcendiary posted:

This is a perfect Effectively Wild question and is a little reminiscent of Takuya Nakashima, who has one weird trick and can foul off like a million pitches.

Ben Lindbergh actually wrote about him in 2017 when people were just starting to talk about that Weird Two Way Guy In Japan and we had not settled on a romanization of his name yet
https://www.theringer.com/2017/2/3/16042314/baseball-mlb-npb-ham-fighters-shohei-otani-takuya-nakashima-6a0e7d22d39f