Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

AndrewP posted:

Orioles @ Rangers wildcard game in 2012 aged me a year but it was also great

I can’t wait for playoff baseball

I believe this was the game where I almost threw a beer at the tv, on principle, when Josh Hamilton decided it was a good idea to attempt a sacrifice bunt late in the game, while down several runs, with a runner on first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

tadashi posted:

I believe this was the game where I almost threw a beer at the tv, on principle, when Josh Hamilton decided it was a good idea to attempt a sacrifice bunt late in the game, while down several runs, with a runner on first.

lol

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
My favorite old-timey baseball name is Johnny Dickshot. His nickname was "Ugly".

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I think if the Cubs continue to score 20 runs a game we will probably make the playoffs

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I just looked up the career stats of Austin Hedges, whom the Rangers acquired yesterday, and Jesus Christ. Jonah Heim can’t get healthy soon enough.

How the hell do you stick around in the majors for 9 years with a negative career WAR?

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

he's the replacement in wins above replacement

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

In the long run, going for it this season like this is probably futile and not selling Cody at the height of his value might have been an enormous mistake, but man actually trying to compete after the trade deadline instead of completely gutting the team owns so much. The players are jacked and juiced. Vibes at Wrigley seem incredible. Feels great to watch the Cubs right now.

Only problem for me is that tickets won't be $7 on the secondary market once school starts like they were the last couple of years but then again I won't be going to see World Series guys in pinstripes for the last time.

Other complaint is that The Candy Man is wearing number 9!

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Aug 2, 2023

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I just looked up the career stats of Austin Hedges, whom the Rangers acquired yesterday, and Jesus Christ. Jonah Heim can’t get healthy soon enough.

How the hell do you stick around in the majors for 9 years with a negative career WAR?

Drew Butera played for 2 more years, had a four times worse bWAR, and got a World Series ring.

Backup catcher is a hell of a gig if you can get it.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

He can frame

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Poque posted:

I think if the Cubs continue to score 20 runs a game we will probably make the playoffs

Hell, the Cubs are 30-0 this season when they score 7 runs.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

My favorite old-timey baseball name is Johnny Dickshot. His nickname was "Ugly".

Thank you for this

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I hate when they do Pirates/Orioles/Rangers/Royals in Immaculate Grid because I just don’t know a lot of those guys

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

tadashi posted:

I still can't believe Kyle Schwarber tried to bunt with two strikes and two outs in the 8th inning of a World Series game.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Speaking of backup catchers, I just saw a review of this book. https://www.twelvebooks.com/titles/tim-brown/the-tao-of-the-backup-catcher/9781668619537/ It's called Backup Catcher by sportswriter Tim Brown with journeyman catcher Erik Kratz about being a backup catcher and life on the fringes if the majors and seems to be more about just being a backup catcher than a standard As Told To book, with interviews of other backup catchers. I have no idea if it's any good but it seems more interesting than the normal baseball book involving a player, and I'm requesting it at the library.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Poque posted:

It's basic sabermetrics.

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.
I think we've seriously underestimated game calling as well. Coaches, catcher and pitcher make the plan going into the game, but deviating from it is also important. If the catcher can read swings, and make good calls on the fly, the pitcher doesn't have to think about as much. There's also something to be said about just knowing the plan backwards and forward, which might not be a strength of every pitcher necessarily. Ultimately, good catchers allow pitchers to focus on execution (or work well in tandem). With the pitch clock, this has probably been magnified.

None of that can ever really be effectively baked into WAR. I presume these soft skills are why Hedges, Butera, Leon all have had long careers.

Milovan Drecun fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Aug 2, 2023

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Milovan Drecun posted:

I think we've seriously estimated game calling as well. Coaches, catcher and pitcher make the plan going into the game, but deviating from it is also important. If the catcher can read swings, and make good calls on the fly, the pitcher doesn't have to think about as much. There's also something to be said about just knowing the plan backwards and forward, which might not be a strength of every pitcher necessarily. Ultimately, good catchers allow pitchers to focus on execution (or work well in tandem). With the pitch clock, this has probably been magnified.

None of that can ever really be effectively baked into WAR. I presume these soft skills are why Hedges, Butera, Leon all have had long careers.

Calling a game seems difficult to quantify, but I wonder how many pitchers are now calling their own games with pitchcom now. I know cease does it, Hendricks does it, and I'm sure a bunch of veteran pitchers are doing it now as well.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

R.D. Mangles posted:

In the long run, going for it this season like this is probably futile and not selling Cody at the height of his value might have been an enormous mistake, but man actually trying to compete after the trade deadline instead of completely gutting the team owns so much. The players are jacked and juiced. Vibes at Wrigley seem incredible. Feels great to watch the Cubs right now.

Only problem for me is that tickets won't be $7 on the secondary market once school starts like they were the last couple of years but then again I won't be going to see World Series guys in pinstripes for the last time.

Other complaint is that The Candy Man is wearing number 9!

I legitimately think it's worth it for the Cubs to go for it this year like gently caress it show other players in free agency and reward your team that grinded within striking distance of both the division and the WC, with actual investment.

Selling so many years in a row is real loving depressing. Especially for the team in the 3rd largest market in the country.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Also while it was the correct choice IMO to hold the thread through the trade deadline, we should probably have a new one now that it's past

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Dexo posted:

I legitimately think it's worth it for the Cubs to go for it this year like gently caress it show other players in free agency and reward your team that grinded within striking distance of both the division and the WC, with actual investment.

Selling so many years in a row is real loving depressing. Especially for the team in the 3rd largest market in the country.

Give the young guys meaningful September stretch experience too. Season's long and there are a lot of guys on the roster who haven't sniffed a full season yet, especially when you're the most tired during the most important games.

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

R.D. Mangles posted:

Calling a game seems difficult to quantify, but I wonder how many pitchers are now calling their own games with pitchcom now. I know cease does it, Hendricks does it, and I'm sure a bunch of veteran pitchers are doing it now as well.

I think Sonny Gray does too, iirc

Edit: Giolito gave an interview during a Twins/White Sox game recently and talked about using The Show to practice his gameplan. His point wasn't that the game effectively simmed how batters reacted to him. Rather, he used it to commit the gameplan to memory and practice how he would approach different situations. It was an engaging way to do the more intellectual work of pitching.

Milovan Drecun fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Aug 2, 2023

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Milovan Drecun posted:

I think we've seriously underestimated game calling as well. Coaches, catcher and pitcher make the plan going into the game, but deviating from it is also important. If the catcher can read swings, and make good calls on the fly, the pitcher doesn't have to think about as much. There's also something to be said about just knowing the plan backwards and forward, which might not be a strength of every pitcher necessarily. Ultimately, good catchers allow pitchers to focus on execution (or work well in tandem). With the pitch clock, this has probably been magnified.

https://twitter.com/TalkinBaseball_/status/1686569608826814464

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

The stupid loving X on embedded tweets looks like a close button to me, I hate it

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:

1st ballot hofer right there

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat

Ironic that this happens on the day Mancini was DFA as his nickname on the Orioles was “Boom Boom”

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Go Braves!

And Ohtani

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Hell, the Cubs are 30-0 this season when they score 7 runs.

lol we're 5-14 when scoring exactly 5 or 6. No problems with the bullpen here!

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Go Braves!

And Ohtani

How's that cookie

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Meant to post in the week thread. I’m eating prime rib!

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
Do they give you a comically small plate to put your prime rib on like that cookie?

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

duomo posted:

Ironic that this happens on the day Mancini was DFA as his nickname on the Orioles was “Boom Boom”

https://youtu.be/YmPcVsAmrxo

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/shegone03/status/1686742836866105344

Stay till the end of a list of Yankee' scouting triumphs.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Good Dog posted:

Do they give you a comically small plate to put your prime rib on like that cookie?

Unlimited prime rib and alcohol baby!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Milovan Drecun posted:

Edit: Giolito gave an interview during a Twins/White Sox game recently and talked about using The Show to practice his gameplan. His point wasn't that the game effectively simmed how batters reacted to him. Rather, he used it to commit the gameplan to memory and practice how he would approach different situations. It was an engaging way to do the more intellectual work of pitching.

I'm glad Giolito was able to find a use for his gaming skills honed through years of Rocket League laddering to help with his pitching.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Unlimited prime rib and alcohol baby!

sheeeesh holla if you need a seatmate someday!

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Good Dog posted:

Rob Manfred in front of 30 owners at a whiteboard underlining "TINY PLATES!!!"

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Man.. how much prime rib can one eat? I’m envious.

NY sports radio is hilarious in that trading Alonso after the season was a talking point today.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I ate the steak nachos mostly, but I definitely got more than I should!

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/shegone03/status/1686742836866105344

Stay till the end of a list of Yankee' scouting triumphs.

I speak for most of the AL when I say the Yankees should listen to more people like this guy. It’s unfair the NL has the Rockies and we don’t

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Astros continue to lower their league-leading "games per no-hitter" metric down to 610 games per no-hitter, or around 3.77 seasons per no-hitter.

The rest of the top 5:

2. Marlins (799 games per no-no)
3. Dodgers (824 games per no-no)
4. Angels (827 games per no-no)
5. White Sox (955 games per no-no)

Everyone else is >1000 games per no-hitter.