Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:
free rally runner

Incitatus fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Aug 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Fredbird is still a free bird, fake news!!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

noooooooo

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I dont understand how German is still on the team after all this, he isn't even a good pitcher so you certainly can't justify it off that

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
https://twitter.com/ROOTSPORTS_NW/status/1686869192115716098

Julio stole home :allears:

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

Nodoze posted:

I dont understand how German is still on the team after all this, he isn't even a good pitcher so you certainly can't justify it off that

they'd get raked over coals if they got rid of a guy seeking drug rehab. probably be waived quietly in the offseason after treatment.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Cashman said there was an "incident" with German.

If German did something illegal, they need to say so after using the word "incident."

If German is just an addict who had a relapse, Cashman needs to have a little loving discretion in how he phrases things. "Incident" makes it sound like he did something awful, like he did a few years ago.

I cannot stand German, but addiction is a hell I wouldn't wish on anyone.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Incitatus posted:

they'd get raked over coals if they got rid of a guy seeking drug rehab. probably be waived quietly in the offseason after treatment.

They clearly didn't care about being raked over the coals for keeping him around after beating his wife

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Mike_V posted:

Fredbird is still a free bird, fake news!!

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/JesseRogersESPN/status/1686948204061831168?s=20

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Nodoze posted:

They clearly didn't care about being raked over the coals for keeping him around after beating his wife

Putting aside however you may feel about suspensions or forgiveness or second chances or whatever you can’t keep German around for years after the domestic abuse incident and then cut him when he goes into rehab. That’s bad bad mojo. Cutting him now would be punishing him for what’s new, not making up for your response to what’s old. Unless there was some violent incident or whatever but that’s making a big assumption. Yeah they say there was an “incident” but that could be anything.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Aug 3, 2023

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

Nodoze posted:

It wasn't the first time people overlooked German aggression.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/status/1425038544557559811
https://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/status/1686878938948321280

lol

zoux fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Aug 3, 2023

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Incitatus posted:

It wasn't the first time people overlooked German aggression.

:golfclap:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

https://twitter.com/JayCuda/status/1686941287793008641

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You'd think the Cubs of all teams would be aware of the dangers of tempting the gods.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Luke Maile has made 4 pitching appearances for the Reds this season. 4.1 IP, 12 H, 8 ER, 16.62 ERA, 2.769 WHIP, 8.3 HR/9.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

zoux posted:

You'd think the Cubs of all teams would be aware of the dangers of tempting the gods.

Cubsposters recognize the situation well and we're just enjoying the ride.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Seriously the key to being a Chicago sports fan is to over enjoy the good times so when it all comes crashing down, at least you enjoyed some of it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Yankee "insider" media is something else.......

https://twitter.com/WFAN660/status/1687101098367291392

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

mcmagic posted:

Yankee "insider" media is something else.......

https://twitter.com/WFAN660/status/1687101098367291392

It’s like Fox News and the Ministry of Truth had an underperforming baby

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/MLBMetrics/status/1686924363637899265

Absolutely bonkers outcome

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

This is probably very old man yells at cloud but I see these kinds of "stealing home" plays all the time and I hate that it's called that because I'm always disappointed when I open a highlight and it's not a guy stealing home off a pitch

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
started a new job in April so I’ve not really been able to keep up with MLB this season

which is probably a good thing looking at how the Mets are doing

are any of the guys they’ve gotten in their fire sale worth having at least?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Julio Cruz posted:

started a new job in April so I’ve not really been able to keep up with MLB this season

which is probably a good thing looking at how the Mets are doing

are any of the guys they’ve gotten in their fire sale worth having at least?
Luisangel Acuna and Drew Gilbert are good

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Didn't realize Liam Hendriks needed Tommy John surgery. Awful.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/matttomic/status/1687111795448930304?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

IcePhoenix posted:

This is probably very old man yells at cloud but I see these kinds of "stealing home" plays all the time and I hate that it's called that because I'm always disappointed when I open a highlight and it's not a guy stealing home off a pitch

I'm with you on this take. It's a designed play but not really a direct steal of home.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

And what is the designed play called?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

I don't know if there is a specific name for it but the runner from 1st is intentionally trying to get in a run down to allow the runner from 3rd to break for home. It's a cool play and you don't see it all the time in MLB because it requires good timing and generally at that level guys have seen that play enough they know how to execute to prevent it but I personally don't think of it as the same thing as stealing home.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's called a double steal.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

It's a delayed steal

The Dodgers used to try it all the time and it almost never worked because teams would just surrender 2B rather than risk the run.

The Red Sox are dumb for throwing to second there, particularly with two outs already in the inning.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Hmmm see I don't think I would call it either of those things either, it's like it's own unique play. Double steal to me implies intent for both runners to take a base, where as in that play the runner from 1st is intentionally trying to get caught and doesn't mind getting tagged out (so long as the run scores first). A delayed steal is trying to take advantage of defenders not paying attention to you or taking off on a lob throw back to the pitcher but in this case the fielders all know what the Mariners are trying to do Julio just beats their throws.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Admit that it's a steal! Admit it!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It's a very cool play I'm not trying to denegrate it, I just don't think of it as a steal of home like IcePhoenix said! In my mind that's the classic Jackie Robinson stealing home on the pitch in the World Series.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Dexo posted:

Seriously the key to being a Chicago sports fan is to over enjoy the good times so when it all comes crashing down, at least you enjoyed some of it.

100% accurate. I wish my dad could take this approach.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

bawfuls posted:

It's a delayed steal

The Dodgers used to try it all the time and it almost never worked because teams would just surrender 2B rather than risk the run.

The Red Sox are dumb for throwing to second there, particularly with two outs already in the inning.

Yeah, this. The guy on third is delaying stealing until the defense commits to dealing with the guy going from first to second.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Candelario already has more runs scored as a Cub this season than Tucker Barnhart.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Max Fried confirmed for his comeback start Friday against the hottest offense in the sport, welcome back Max we have missed you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

zoux posted:

The Aristocrats!