Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Make the dang first pick already! :argh:

lol nice avi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
Genuine Q: are we going to do anything special for Dalvin Cook? You could imagine a situation where he signs with the Jets or Dolphins at a point when there is only garbage and Dalvin Cook left on the Board. Depending when he signs relative to our draft, he could be a pretty big competitive advantage for the team that happens to be picking when he makes a decision. (But, on the other side of the coin, if he signs, like, tomorrow, it won't matter.)

Edit: I guess this could apply to Kareem Hunt and others too, I'm just mentioning Cook because it seems all but certain he'll sign in the AFCE.

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Aug 10, 2023

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Allow it but if they don't end up signing in division they count for 0 points?

I've never used Sleeper so I dunno if this is possible/obnoxious with their commish tools. Can you edit a roster and drop him?

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Docjowles posted:

I've never used Sleeper so I dunno if this is possible/obnoxious with their commish tools. Can you edit a roster and drop him?

My point was more: say it's the 10th round of the draft, and the board solely consists of extremely marginal contributors that *may* offer 1 or 2 fantasy points a game, and then Dalvin Cook signs with the Jets. For whoever happens to be picking, the pick is obviously Dalvin Cook, because he is going to outperform any of the other possible picks fivefold, maybe more. So one person gets extremely lucky and can pick Cook, who has huge marginal value because of the players on the rest of the board late in the draft, but the rest of the league has to pick from the scraps. He could be a pretty big gamechanger depending on when he signs compared to our draft.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Yeah I was actually thinking about Cook earlier and wasn't entirely sure what to do. My take was going to be to just let whatever person happened to be on the clock when Cook signed get a potentially large advantage via dumb luck, but I guess that could theoretically discourage people from making their picks quickly (ahem, Bjork).

Docjowles posted:

I kind of like this idea; you could draft Cook (or other FAs) whenever but if he ends up signing somewhere non-AFCE, you blew the pick. Kind of like betting on an injured player or holdout era Le'Veon Bell.

But that said, I want the spirit of the draft to be drafting your Jamison Crowder's, not taking flyers on a bunch of Zeke Elliot's and Carson Wentz's.

Any other ideas? I'll come down one way or the other before Cook becomes a tempting selection.

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006
yes that's very hot and i'll deal with it in the morning

I'm not going to overthink it - with the first pick in the draft, Bjork Bjowlob selects the future Jets Superbowl MVP Aaron Rodgers - QB - NYJ.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Professor Funk posted:

My point was more: say it's the 10th round of the draft, and the board solely consists of extremely marginal contributors that *may* offer 1 or 2 fantasy points a game, and then Dalvin Cook signs with the Jets. For whoever happens to be picking, the pick is obviously Dalvin Cook, because he is going to outperform any of the other possible picks fivefold, maybe more. So one person gets extremely lucky and can pick Cook, who has huge marginal value because of the players on the rest of the board late in the draft, but the rest of the league has to pick from the scraps. He could be a pretty big gamechanger depending on when he signs compared to our draft.

Yeah I get what you meant. I was thinking this would sort itself out because someone will decide the risk/reward is worth it way earlier in the draft than round 10. When they're still foregoing a (marginally) useful player and not like, Matthew Slater.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Docjowles posted:

Yeah I get what you meant. I was thinking this would sort itself out because someone will decide the risk/reward is worth it way earlier in the draft than round 10. When they're still foregoing a (marginally) useful player and not like, Matthew Slater.

Ah. I see where we talked past each other. I was thinking you couldn't draft him *at all* until he actually signed with an AFCE team, because at this point he's been on the Vikings his whole career, so the risk/reward strategy wouldn't even be on the table.

Bjork Bjowlob posted:

I'm not going to overthink it - with the first pick in the draft, Bjork Bjowlob selects the future Jets Superbowl MVP Aaron Rodgers - QB - NYJ.

Outstanding first pick.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Bjork Bjowlob posted:

YOU BLEW IT.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

t a s t e is up and about to get the steal of the draft. I'm counting 12:00am – 8:00pm as sleeping hours, so they have until 11:30am tomorrow to pick Josh Allen.

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006
yes that's very hot and i'll deal with it in the morning

I'll probably end up with a Taco-level roster, but I'm all in on the Jets this year baby

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Bills fans in their feelings rn

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Bjork is immunized against your criticisms

Nov 6, 2002

mcmagic posted:

lol nice avi

You'd think a bunch of UFO truthers wouldn't be so thinned skinned.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

You'd think a bunch of UFO truthers wouldn't be so thinned skinned.

i'm just happy i'm not the only one with red text

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

It’s Josh obviously

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

kalensc you got until 12:00pm tomorrow.

Nov 6, 2002

Very bold choice to take Josh McCown but I bet he can still throw.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I just cobbled together some draft rankings and folks it is DIRE out there

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Thanks for the PM heads-up fsif.

I'll try to make my pick before dinner, busy at the moment.

Nov 6, 2002

Needs to be called AFCE Incest League.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Not an easy call here, jeez...

Guess I have to go Tua Tagovailoa, QB, Mia.

There's a bunch of players with higher ceilings in terms of fantasy points, but IF Tua can stay healthy then I could come out ahead with some of the mid-tier (relatively speaking) skill position players.

If he's hurt or inconsistent then I'm already in big trouble lol.

Nov 6, 2002

Haha, now the real test begins.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I'm pleased that we have a Pats fan choosing at this juncture.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

The Pats fan boldly selects… Geno Smith. Who will finish the season with not only more MVP votes than Russell Wilson but more MVP awards :smugdog:

Nov 6, 2002

Smart.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

*remaining 8 owners stare into the abyss*

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Professor Funk posted:

*remaining 8 owners stare into the abyss*

DIRE, I tells ya.

DIRE.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Bailey Zappe will save someone's season.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I think TheBizzness lives somewhere not in the US? Anyway, they have until 12:00pm tomorrow to make their pick.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

If TheBizzness doesn't make their pick by noon, mcmagic is free to make theirs.

TheBizzness can make their pick then whenever they get around to it, but if the pick isn't made by the end of the first round, I'll make the pick for them.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Getting ready to run up to the podium.......

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

mcmagic posted:

Getting ready to run up to the podium.......

Mac Jones here we come

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Oh, and Dalvin Cook ruling. Hoping this isn't too convoluted, but here's where I landed…

You can draft Dalvin Cook, but if he doesn't end up signing with an AFC East team by September 7 at 9:00 AM, he will fetch you 0 points for the entire season. Other free agents that have had at least one reported meeting with an AFC East team are also eligible to be drafted with the same qualifiers.

---

Wordy rationale: I like the idea of a high risk pick with a chance of a high (or this league anyway) payout and Cook could likely be a big player in the AFC East this year. Would be weird if he ends up being a major contributor that no one would have him. It also makes sense to extend this courtesy to other FAs; if, for example, we find out Hunt or Elliott is close to signing with one of our teams over the next week, we'd probably want them in the league.

But, as I mentioned before, I don't want later rounds to just become a series of lotto tickets on players that have nothing to do with the division. So, I want to see at least one demonstrated connection to an AFC East team before allowing them to be drafted. (So, yes, Ezekiel Elliott is eligible to be drafted, if and when you want to go there.)

The September 7 cutoff is for my own sanity. I don't want to manually change scores every single week of a cadre of players that will almost certainly never be eligible for points. If you pick Cook and he ends up signing with the Cowboys instead, I'm not going to put Cook on your roster; I'll just assign you a player substitute that will almost assuredly be a 0 every week. So, I know there exists a chance that an Elliott could sign in Week Two or Three on an AFC East team, but you still will never get that credit because he hadn't signed by September 7.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Von Miller has guaranteed that I can draft OBJ

Nov 6, 2002

Do the needful mcmagic.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I will take Ryan Tannehill QB Tennessee Titans

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

mcmagic's dash to the podium too slow to steal, but you're up with your regularly scheduled pick.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

TheBizzness posted:

Sorry I won’t do that again. Pick made.

All good man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I will take noted great guy and excellent father Tyreek Hill