Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I made this because the Baldur's Gate 3 thread is starting to look like a CIA document. Spoilers allowed non stop in here - go nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Just finished the Iron Throne underwater jailbreak and I know folks were frustrated with it but I had a blast. Longstrider and greater invisibility on the whole crew, Boo and Scratch jumping on individual sahaugin that made it to the hatch, making a mad dash through the prison to get everybody -- lots of fun. I even managed to save Omeluum and heal Duke Ravengaard enough so Mizora's ambush didn't kill him.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

There are at least three different places that made me feel like an adventurer just trying to figure out how to navigate the place. The Gymforge, the Shar Temple and the sewers under Baldur's Gate. Like real Indiana Jones kind of stuff.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
it's going to be very funny when some YouTuber does a LARIAN LIED video in six to twelve months and does a deep dive into all the cut content, change in narrative tone, and general shift away from consequences for your choices

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Every piece of fiction has a perfect ideal form in its first draft. Cowardice leads writers to iterate, which creates a flawed and corrupted final product.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Horizon Burning posted:

it's going to be very funny when some YouTuber does a LARIAN LIED video in six to twelve months and does a deep dive into all the cut content, change in narrative tone, and general shift away from consequences for your choices

Who gives a poo poo about loving youtubers, gently caress you

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Pwnstar posted:

Every piece of fiction has a perfect ideal form in its first draft. Cowardice leads writers to iterate, which creates a flawed and corrupted final product.

Yeah it's pretty funny to me how many people simply don't understand how writing works.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

What do you guys recommend as a companion group for an evil run? Would like suggestions for the main character too for synergy

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Someone posted a list of all the cut stuff that was datamined out of the game on reddit. Super spoiler-heavy, obviously.

Some of it looks like typical development changes while the rest look like last-minute cuts to meet deadlines. I hope a lot of that ends up in the Definitive Edition because it all sounds really awesome and would address real big issues I had with the story. I especially like the one about the dark urge.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Jimbot posted:

Someone posted a list of all the cut stuff that was datamined out of the game on reddit. Super spoiler-heavy, obviously.

Some of it looks like typical development changes while the rest look like last-minute cuts to meet deadlines. I hope a lot of that ends up in the Definitive Edition because it all sounds really awesome and would address real big issues I had with the story. I especially like the one about the dark urge.

I think the stuff that makes it in the definitive edition is the karlach stuff, epilogues and at most the upper city. I think most of the cut stuff will stay out and honestly that's fine. What's in the game is great

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Kind of wild that Upper City seems to have been cut quite late into dev. It sounds like a lot of that/other A3 was mostly done.

And you can see the seams where it was excised in the launch game for sure.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's always interesting to see cut content though there's plenty of stuff that gets cut for good reason. It looks like a mix of "oh poo poo we gotta get this out before Starfield" that they might put back in and things that are leftovers from earlier versions.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I think the Guardian ultimately was a pretty unsuccessful rewrite. He feels like a character they needed to exist because they'd written themselves into a corner with their original design not working, not a character that makes sense in their own right.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Jimbot posted:

I think there's a fair chance we'll get some additions to the ending and certain character quests, particularly Karlach and maybe Minthara and Halsin for that matter, but introducing whole other areas to Act 3 or radically altering the structure of the overall narrative seems very unlikely at this point, outside of a real expansion.

That's why a list like this needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Datamining alone doesn't really tell us what was changed due to intentional shifts in creative direction or decisions to pull back on the scope versus unfinished content that was almost close to being ready. In other words, this list includes items with very different levels of completion and we would be lucky to see maybe five or six of these brought back into the game.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Oh yeah, I agree. With some of the bigger ones, people have pointed out in the comments that Sven talked about the upper city in pre-release interviews as late as two weeks before the release so I can see that getting restored. It felt like it was something cut so they could release it a month early.

But yeah, the actual Bhaalspawn stuff is probably just a pipe dream. That stuff's more interesting than being a chosen. That'd require a whole lot of effort that probably wouldn't be worth it.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Aug 22, 2023

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Jimbot posted:

While I wish we could get Raphael to take the tadpoles out of our head, that feels like it'd take extensive edits and rewrites of later quests. I'm most hopeful that the Upper City stuff gets done because frankly it's weird that we could enter Cazador's Mansion from the Lower city, that Astarion mentions he was a magistrate in Baldur's Gate and nothing came of it, and that the coronation ceremony was in Wyrm's Rock instead of the Ducal Palace.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Captain Oblivious posted:

I think the Guardian ultimately was a pretty unsuccessful rewrite. He feels like a character they needed to exist because they'd written themselves into a corner with their original design not working, not a character that makes sense in their own right.

I think Guardian works honestly. They use you for their own means - saving your life at the beginning. They then try to put their best foot forward by looking like your dream companion, in an ethereal landscape fighting some great evil to protect the universe. Which turns out to just be a flat out lie. If there was actually any real fighting it was just the emperor fighting the honor guard. But I'm thinking that it was just all a lie by the emperor. And they drop the pretense as soon as you find out. You don't see any more energy fighters floating around shooting fireballs at each other in space after that.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Jimbot posted:

Oh yeah, I agree. With some of the bigger ones, people have pointed out in the comments that Sven talked about the upper city in pre-release interviews as late as two weeks before the release so I can see that getting restored. It felt like it was something cut so they could release it a month early.

But yeah, the actual Bhaalspawn stuff is probably just a pipe dream. That stuff's more interesting than being a chosen. That'd require a whole lot of effort that probably wouldn't be worth it.

Speaking of Bhaal I thought it was hilarious that he, myrkul and bane all found a way to be alive again and are still such shits - to the point where their old boss comes out of retirement just to gently caress with them.

When Savorak pops up and Jaheria says we literally did everything we could to give you a second chance and after loving around for a few decades you went running back to your daddy's apron.

Speaking of Bhaal if Savorak is back I am of the mind that your character from the first two games just lived a normal life and then died and then bhaal came back with one of his other kids. I say this because he's clearly still making kids, Savorak is still around, the fake ox is a bhaalspawn. So the book that said it came down to charname and one other dude and that's how bhaal came back I am not thinking is the real backstory in this game.

The dead three assholes always find a way to crawl their way back. AO should really just flush those three down the drain.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

I'm fine with Karlach not having a perfect ending since that seems in line with most of the other Origin characters. I guess Wyll and Gale have ok conclusions to their stories if you pick the right choices, but everyone else ends on a generally bittersweet note if you're playing as a good person.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Saverok being evil is weird given that BG2's bhaal spawn turned down godhood. Unless I'm misremembering the game a still evil Saverok turns on you if you refuse godhood in ToB. Feels like kind of a waste to just have him hanging around the sewers.

Also isn't the ox a spawn of Cyric?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Terrible Opinions posted:

Saverok being evil is weird given that BG2's bhaal spawn turned down godhood. Unless I'm misremembering the game a still evil Saverok turns on you if you refuse godhood in ToB. Feels like kind of a waste to just have him hanging around the sewers.

Also isn't the ox a spawn of Cyric?

Is it I thought it was a bhaalspawn?

Saverok had two routes. If you helped him get better he would have an ending that was basically he was a man at war with himself - helping some and killing others. If you stayed all in on him being a poo poo he just went on being a terror.

Here's my question - how is he still alive? Why is he so long lived?

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Shard posted:

Saverok had two routes. If you helped him get better he would have an ending that was basically he was a man at war with himself - helping some and killing others. If you stayed all in on him being a poo poo he just went on being a terror.

They just go with the same reasoning as Throne of Bhaal - he refused to die so he doesn't :v:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There are so many ways to live forever in FR that it didn't seem weird, other than him being alive at all I guess. And that elephant dude just randomly being chained up in the other room.

Fuckin loser though. Lae'zel put him down in a single turn.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
It was probably right not to make using the tadpoles consequential to the story because otherwise no one would use them except for joke playthroughs since they're nowhere near necessary for anything.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Shard posted:

Was it part of the ascension mod then where he would attack you if you chose the ending that didn't match with his alignment? I could have sworn he tried to stab me for refusing to become god of murder.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I’m not sure what it is about Sarevok as a name that people get it so frequently incredibly not even close wrong.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Captain Oblivious posted:

I’m not sure what it is about Sarevok as a name that people get it so frequently incredibly not even close wrong.

Its because its a stupid fantasy name that takes the long way round to make the sounds it wants. Should have been Saravock or just Vok.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Was there ever an explanation as to why bg2 ends with you making sure bhaal is dead forever and then he's just back for no reason in 3?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
Sarevok and Orin both went down like chumps. Gortash, on the other hand, with his wall-mounted grenade launchers, was a fucker. Killed both Wyll and Shadowheart and almost killed Tav, but Karlach was sitting pretty at near-full health and just chunked him down

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Jarvisi posted:

Was there ever an explanation as to why bg2 ends with you making sure bhaal is dead forever and then he's just back for no reason in 3?

Ten years before the game the last two Bhaalspawn, the canon BG player character Abdel Adrian and some other dude fought in the streets of Baldur's Gate. One of them killed the other, and now that there was only a single Bhaalspawn he was consumed in god poo poo and turned into the newly resurrected Bhaal.

Then BG3 adds at least three more Bhaalspawn so who knows.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

Ten years before the game the last two Bhaalspawn, the canon BG player character Abdel Adrian and some other dude fought in the streets of Baldur's Gate. One of them killed the other, and now that there was only a single Bhaalspawn he was consumed in god poo poo and turned into the newly resurrected Bhaal.

Then BG3 adds at least three more Bhaalspawn so who knows.

Just assume it was god bullshit. Bane and mrykul also both died and came back. So did mystra. And there is a new god of death and the old god of death works for him and calls himself withers now. The dead 3 aren't even really gods anymore just really powerful entities

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

And gods never fully die anyway, they still exist as corpses on the Astral Plane and can grant power to clerics and stuff.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Jarvisi posted:

I was surprised coming from the last D&D I played was 3.5 to hear about some gods who are alive, when they most certainly were dead. I killed Myrkul in Mask of the Betrayer after all.

Basically in the Second Sundering, Ao was like "This poo poo isn't working" and destroyed the tablet of fates and reorganized the universe. This was the in-game justification for switching from 4E to 5E. Which had an effect that brought back a ton of dead gods. (And restored the popular gods they had killed off) The dead three aren't anywhere near the height they were at, they're quasi-gods at the moment.

The ending was Jergal basically telling them off and how much they sucked and don't deserve their godhood.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Aug 22, 2023

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

not that there was any realistic possibility of Larian bringing forth player choices from BG2 but it's super funny to compare Adrian with what I recall of my playthrough back in the day. what a fuckup! total chump!

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
The game really falls apart in the climactic ending to face the netherbrain. Huge battles that I'm in no danger of losing unless someone eats an unlucky stun near the edge while in range of a nautiloid airstrike. It's just not fun or engaging for me at all. The set pieces are cool enough, I just can't bring myself to boot the game up and spend the tedious hours necessary to finish it.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

NeurosisHead posted:

The game really falls apart in the climactic ending to face the netherbrain. Huge battles that I'm in no danger of losing unless someone eats an unlucky stun near the edge while in range of a nautiloid airstrike. It's just not fun or engaging for me at all. The set pieces are cool enough, I just can't bring myself to boot the game up and spend the tedious hours necessary to finish it.

Youre like two battles from the game being done.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

PneumonicBook posted:

Youre like two battles from the game being done.

Yeah. The end battle sequence sucks, especially the nautiloid artillery bit, but you're seriously quitting like 20 minutes before the end.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I figured that was the case, but that just makes it all the more frustrating!

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

NeurosisHead posted:

I figured that was the case, but that just makes it all the more frustrating!

Honestly the worst part of the last sequence of battles is how youve gathered all your allies and can bring them in except it takes an action from your characters and to be honest at that point in the game I can obliterate half the map with one character so why would I want to warp in some loving Harpers or whatever?

Would have been way cooler if they were bonus actions.

ALSO the follower fights are the courtyard, the run up the tower, and the last fight and I didnt even use any of them in the courtyard because I assumed at some point there would be a huge fight that Id actually need them for, which is probably what the courtyard fight is designed for, but Ive got a 200 health mind flayer that can fly all over and mind blast poo poo and eat brains so...

Kind of anti climactic tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

PneumonicBook posted:

Would have been way cooler if they were bonus actions.

My bonus actions as a monk can also kill more enemies than the summons. They should've been One-Per-Turn abilities with no action requirement at all.