Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Pattonesque posted:

Just finished the Iron Throne underwater jailbreak and I know folks were frustrated with it but I had a blast. Longstrider and greater invisibility on the whole crew, Boo and Scratch jumping on individual sahaugin that made it to the hatch, making a mad dash through the prison to get everybody -- lots of fun. I even managed to save Omeluum and heal Duke Ravengaard enough so Mizora's ambush didn't kill him.

My Minsc was simply TOO HEROIC and died when the place exploded, but we got everyone out. His body washed up on the shore so we went and resurrected him and he was fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Grand Fromage posted:

And gods never fully die anyway, they still exist as corpses on the Astral Plane and can grant power to clerics and stuff.

Yeah in nwn2 you run into myrkuls corpse there and kill him forever.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

worm girl posted:

My Minsc was simply TOO HEROIC and died when the place exploded, but we got everyone out. His body washed up on the shore so we went and resurrected him and he was fine.

Did his body really wash up on the shore? THat's awesome that it did and you could rez him there.

I just watched the Gale WR run and I didnt even realize you could jump down to the mind flayer lair under Moonrise towers, which is funny because I thought I explored the prison but I guess not. If you normally go down there when you first get to the towers do you just skip the Nightsong stuff?

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

PneumonicBook posted:

Did his body really wash up on the shore? THat's awesome that it did and you could rez him there.

I just watched the Gale WR run and I didnt even realize you could jump down to the mind flayer lair under Moonrise towers, which is funny because I thought I explored the prison but I guess not. If you normally go down there when you first get to the towers do you just skip the Nightsong stuff?

Yeah I thought he was gone, but then I clicked on his portrait and he was just lying face down in the sand near the harbor like a big lovely starfish.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

worm girl posted:

Yeah I thought he was gone, but then I clicked on his portrait and he was just lying face down in the sand near the harbor like a big lovely starfish.

Thats a really cool interaction, especially because Gortash warns you that there will be bodies floating up on the beaches.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

worm girl posted:

That's actually very in character for Minsc. That's a real Minsc move.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
What's the deal with minscs statline? 17 dex and no barbarian rage?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

PneumonicBook posted:

Honestly the worst part of the last sequence of battles is how youve gathered all your allies and can bring them in except it takes an action from your characters and to be honest at that point in the game I can obliterate half the map with one character so why would I want to warp in some loving Harpers or whatever?

Would have been way cooler if they were bonus actions.

ALSO the follower fights are the courtyard, the run up the tower, and the last fight and I didnt even use any of them in the courtyard because I assumed at some point there would be a huge fight that Id actually need them for, which is probably what the courtyard fight is designed for, but Ive got a 200 health mind flayer that can fly all over and mind blast poo poo and eat brains so...

Kind of anti climactic tbh.

See I'm the opposite - I liked filling the entire arena with like 30 allies. It felt like how Dragon Age Origins ending made me feel.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Jarvisi posted:

What was his class in the original? I'm pretty sure it was Ranger. I think they just gave him the base stats for Ranger that you start with. I just respecced him into a Barbarian with max strength and lowest intelligence and wisdom

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

I think the Guardian ultimately was a pretty unsuccessful rewrite. He feels like a character they needed to exist because they'd written themselves into a corner with their original design not working, not a character that makes sense in their own right.

once i saw the guardian didn't have any statblocks to it i just picked one at random and im glad i didnt waste any time on it, since i figured it wasn't important enough to spend time on

Shard posted:

What was his class in the original? I'm pretty sure it was Ranger. I think they just gave him the base stats for Ranger that you start with. I just respecced him into a Barbarian with max strength and lowest intelligence and wisdom

he was a ranger with 18/93 strength, 15 dex/con, 8 int and 6 wis, really it was just jarring to see Big Strong Guy minsc who had borderline perfect strength having a whopping 12. he had the unique feature of access to berserk

Grand Fromage posted:

And gods never fully die anyway, they still exist as corpses on the Astral Plane and can grant power to clerics and stuff.

one of the goldbox games, i think it was pools of radiance? let you wander on moander's floating corpse. it was really irritating because of just how many gibbering mouthers and shambling mounds you fought there tho

Sloober fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Aug 22, 2023

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Beat the game last night. For some reason, Wyll was in his underwear during the entire finale.

I thought the story and character arcs were mostly satisfying and bittersweet, I definitely teared up at losing my girl Karlach. Everyone's VA did amazing with the companion stuff, it all worked for me.

That said, I was surprised there wasn't more acknowledgment about almost anything I did over the 100 hours I spent on it. The finale revolves around the Big Choices you make once you start the final sequence (Emperor v Prince, Who Mindflayin') and I guess the faction summons rely on you finishing faction quests, but I kind of expected to get a Fallout/DOS2/Dragon Age style powerpoint presentation about all the lives I touched. "The druids circle prospered for years but because you let Kagha live, she sowed dissent. You never found out who was putting bombs in children's toys leading to an event known as Bloody Christmas." That kinda thing.

I guess I'm not surprised what with all the cut content but one of the reasons I dipped into this was the hype about 17,000 distinct endings. I can't see how you'd have any more variations than like:

- Gale Bomb in Act 2 or Act 3 or not at all
- Astarion freedom or Vampire Lord
- Blonde or Black-haired Shadowheart
- Lae'zel rides with Orpheus or not
- You're the mindflayer or you aren't

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

That Dang Dad posted:

Beat the game last night. For some reason, Wyll was in his underwear during the entire finale.

I thought the story and character arcs were mostly satisfying and bittersweet, I definitely teared up at losing my girl Karlach. Everyone's VA did amazing with the companion stuff, it all worked for me.

That said, I was surprised there wasn't more acknowledgment about almost anything I did over the 100 hours I spent on it. The finale revolves around the Big Choices you make once you start the final sequence (Emperor v Prince, Who Mindflayin') and I guess the faction summons rely on you finishing faction quests, but I kind of expected to get a Fallout/DOS2/Dragon Age style powerpoint presentation about all the lives I touched. "The druids circle prospered for years but because you let Kagha live, she sowed dissent. You never found out who was putting bombs in children's toys leading to an event known as Bloody Christmas." That kinda thing.

I guess I'm not surprised what with all the cut content but one of the reasons I dipped into this was the hype about 17,000 distinct endings. I can't see how you'd have any more variations than like:

- Gale Bomb in Act 2 or Act 3 or not at all
- Astarion freedom or Vampire Lord
- Blonde or Black-haired Shadowheart
- Lae'zel rides with Orpheus or not
- You're the mindflayer or you aren't

There's recorded dialogue for Withers going over all that epilogue stuff in the game that they didn't link to anything and doesn't play, probably because the last month was a nightmare of cutting out the entire Upper City area and reconfiguring Act 3.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Todd Howard hosed us over with the Starfield release date.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/Keks1861/status/1693558892293230738

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Game peaked at the end of act 2 and took a nosedive in act 3, bad performance, buggy quests and triggers, ending didn't really make sense. Combat is pretty weak but that's just 5e being 5e.
The game's ok overall and I mostly enjoyed my time with it when I wasn't slowly walking back and forth or waiting 30 seconds for Absolute Cultist 18 to dash action and do nothing. I wouldn't recommend it without at least a few substantial patches though.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Eraflure posted:

I wouldn't recommend it without at least a few substantial patches though.

An evergreen post.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Yeah I know it's just gaming.txt at this point but I think it's worth mentioning when everyone's gushing over the game.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Admiral Ray posted:

There's recorded dialogue for Withers going over all that epilogue stuff in the game that they didn't link to anything and doesn't play, probably because the last month was a nightmare of cutting out the entire Upper City area and reconfiguring Act 3.

I did hear on reddit in the leadup to release Swen said on a polish podcast that they were dealing with a "serious issue" and the whole team was heads down on it - maybe it was this?

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

PneumonicBook posted:

Honestly the worst part of the last sequence of battles is how youve gathered all your allies and can bring them in except it takes an action from your characters and to be honest at that point in the game I can obliterate half the map with one character so why would I want to warp in some loving Harpers or whatever?

Would have been way cooler if they were bonus actions.

Yeah. Bonus action would have been great.

I literally popped haste potions on everyone at the final fight to pump up allies and they went down like a wet farts.
The Group of Harpers literally didn't get a single turn before melting in dragonflame.
Owlbear hit once and died to something. Didn't even notice.
The Devil with invisibility was useless, but didn't die thanks to invisibility. He was same in the Raphael fight too.

Only useful ones:
The Aasimar from Ch2
Her waifus AoE heals.
The Red Dragon breath does decent damage.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
I did side with Orpheus and turned him to Illithid and saw the basic 3 endings:
Gale Blows / Good guys win the fight / Become the big bad guy.

If you side with The Emperor, does he have different endings?

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

the ox being a secret cyricist was very funny. also if you choose to help him get into baldurs gate you can huck his apple form and get into a fight with him

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Jarvisi posted:

they gave everyone the standard array of D&D stats which is 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, and 8, plus whatever you decide to use +2 and +1 on. Then they gave each character what appears to be the basic distribution for their class. So it leads to weird situations like Minsc having 12 STR and Halsin having 10 STR even though both of them are brick shithouses

BG2 notably did not do this, so you had characters with wildly different statlines -- like Minsc having 18/93 STR, 15 DEX, and 15 CON but 8 INT, 6 WIS, and 9 CHA. Compare to Keldorn who has an 18, two 17s, a 16, a 12, and a 9.

Pattonesque fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Aug 22, 2023

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Issaries posted:

I did side with Orpheus and turned him to Illithid and saw the basic 3 endings:
Gale Blows / Good guys win the fight / Become the big bad guy.

If you side with The Emperor, does he have different endings?

No, not at all. You can stab him to death at the last minute and become the Absolute, similar to the other non-player character Illithid endings. He (or another party member turned mindflayer) eats Orpheus, tho.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Eraflure posted:

Game peaked at the end of act 2 and took a nosedive in act 3, bad performance, buggy quests and triggers, ending didn't really make sense. Combat is pretty weak but that's just 5e being 5e.
The game's ok overall and I mostly enjoyed my time with it when I wasn't slowly walking back and forth or waiting 30 seconds for Absolute Cultist 18 to dash action and do nothing. I wouldn't recommend it without at least a few substantial patches though.

see this is when i feel like im taking crazy pills. i know taste is subjective but its weird to see such a disconnect between me and others who like games like this. This is easily my favorite crpg of all time, ive seen others say top 5 or top 10 and others not even in their top 10 and then there is this - wouldn't even recommend it as is. That's nuts to me.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Admiral Ray posted:

No, not at all. You can stab him to death at the last minute and become the Absolute, similar to the other non-player character Illithid endings. He (or another party member turned mindflayer) eats Orpheus, tho.

There's no Emperor takes over style of ending?

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Cranium Rat in sewer. :ohdear: There's going to be a boss battle with them, aren't there?
Also the fifty Cranium rats near the boat suicide on Shadowhearts AoE. :lmao:

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Issaries posted:

There's no Emperor takes over style of ending?

There is. You can convince him to do it and you'll be by his side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izWCJlarOFA

Gale's origin (PC) has its own special endings as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMlDjDKHqgM

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Wrt minsc, if you inspect him during his fight with you he has the proper stats. Going to assume someone just forgot to set his stats to those when he joins you.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Shard posted:

see this is when i feel like im taking crazy pills. i know taste is subjective but its weird to see such a disconnect between me and others who like games like this. This is easily my favorite crpg of all time, ive seen others say top 5 or top 10 and others not even in their top 10 and then there is this - wouldn't even recommend it as is. That's nuts to me.

Act 1 was very nice and I made good use of verticality, hazards and whatever else the arena left at my disposal since I was low level enough for those things to matter. Act 2 is when combat got very easy and boring, but I was still invested in the game and the climax at Moonrise hyped me up for Act 3.
5 important NPCs were marked as both dead and alive in my quest logs (and in some dialogue) by the end of Act 3. Stuttering in the streets of baldur's gate, freezes when I opened my inventory during act 3, long loading times, several game-breaking bugs and a crash - and that shouldn't happen with my specs. Gortash activated when I was on the floor below him, ran out of his little death trap and died in one turn. Orin bugged out and did literally nothing during her boss fight. The rest of Act 3 was just me right clicking everything with my vastly overpowered equipment and alt-tabbing while the AI randomly froze for 20 seconds during an enemy's turn. :shrug:

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I think a huge problem for me with the game is encounter design generally.

You're outnumbered in almost every encounter and a massive number of fights involve you watching mook #7 of 20 walk around waiting for your turn.

A huge amount of this seems to be Larian feeling like the game needs to be difficult and needing to tilt action economy in favour of your opponents.

I'm not sure why a) That difficulty is actually needed or what it adds given that they failed to avoid the xcom difficulty curve.

b) If you want to tilt action economy you don't let bosses just have legendary actions rather than a billion mooks.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Aug 22, 2023

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

Admiral Ray posted:

This is just nuts to me, especially since they decided to release the game early

I loved the game and it's in my top 3 crpgs for sure - but I thought the ending was just SUPER weak, both in terms of the fights you have to do and the narrative just screeching to a sudden halt. They made a big fuss about you taking a stance in several quests and plotlines and you never see any sort of resolution to them or you do see a resolution and it sucks.

I really hope they release an enhanced edition where the end of the game finally becomes good - then I might replay the game again. Not before that though, it's not really a very replayable game tbh. Act 1 made it seem like it would be, but act 2 and 3 seem pretty on rails

Collapsing Farts fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Aug 22, 2023

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Astarian's voice actor kills it in this game. These are some specific comments he makes under certain circumstances from reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/BaldursGat...1&utm_content=1

https://www.reddit.com/r/BaldursGate3/comments/15xt3as/one_of_the_more_realistic_reactions_to_something/

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
gently caress lmao those are good. I like the weirdos one

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Astarion's VA and lines in general are just top tier.

Ending also felt super flat and I'm hoping the patches restore the epilogue stuff. Otherwise, I guess we'll have something to look forward to in the re-release.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
Astarion's VA is honestly top tier.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Eminent Domain posted:

Astarion's VA and lines in general are just top tier.

Ending also felt super flat and I'm hoping the patches restore the epilogue stuff. Otherwise, I guess we'll have something to look forward to in the re-release.

The ending definitely needs work because it felt extraordinarily abrupt, like great job pals off to the next adventure! And then rolling the credits on a half hour monster of the week TV show

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I enjoyed literally every moment of the game but I will admit the ending was abrupt. It didnt bother me though because I just started playing again lol. So it never actually felt like it ended.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I still can't believe there weren't any consequences, besides cosmetically, for shoving your brain full of tadpoles.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
At least Larian have a pretty solid history of doing right by their games and polishing stuff up for an enhanced edition a year or two out. Really hope they add some Upper City stuff, I thought I was gonna get to go there and was a little disappointed when I realized it wasn't gonna happen. Having a little bit more of Avernus would be cool too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Shard posted:

I enjoyed literally every moment of the game but I will admit the ending was abrupt. It didnt bother me though because I just started playing again lol. So it never actually felt like it ended.

Yeah I still slammed in run number 2 and just hit act 3 again, game is good and this time I'm shoving tadpoles in since it doesn't seem to impact anything.

That said stomping the astral tadpole is loving satisfying as is the emperor's reaction. After this run I might to a durge run and then wait on evil until they sort out minthara and all that.