Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
Am I the only person who saved Karlach? I didn't romance her, finished her and Wyll's questlines, getting Wyll out of his contract and turning down the Ducal appointment in the process. He begged her to go to Avernus with him and now the two of them are heroes who hunt devils down there. She deserves to retire and enjoy city life, sure, but it feels a lot less bleak than everyone was saying her ending was.

My gripes with the ending are: Gortash's fight was very lame compared to Orin's, The Emperor was annoying and while the reveal that he was Balduran was interesting, it didn't really mean anything to the story. Freeing Orpheus and getting told I have to choose whether to become a mind flayer or let Orpheus become one felt like false urgency for the sake of forcing a dramatic choice, and the Emperor/Dream Guardian could have been entirely left out of the story. Also there was nothing in the ending with Astarion, who I romanced and turned into an all powerful vampire and also he turned me into a vampire (spawn) but there's no mention of this. We just agree to go drinking with the boys.

However those are minor gripes and only stand out because they are different from the tidal wave of goodwill I still have for the devs for making me feel like a kid again. I am not vulnerable to cheap nostalgia bait and that isn't what this was. Running into Sarevok, Jaheira, and Minsc felt like coming home again, and realizing that Withers is Jergal felt like something right out of one of the old paperbacks. So thank you Larian, that was wonderful.

worm girl fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Aug 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

worm girl posted:

Am I the only person who saved Karlach? I didn't romance her, finished her and Wyll's questlines, getting Wyll out of his contract and turning down the Ducal appointment in the process. He begged her to go to Avernus with him and now the two of them are heroes who hunt devils down there. She deserves to retire and enjoy city life, sure, but it feels a lot less bleak than everyone was saying her ending was.

My gripes with the ending are: Gortash's fight was very lame compared to Orin's, The Emperor was annoying and while the reveal that he was Balduran was interesting, it didn't really mean anything to the story. Freeing Orpheus and getting told I have to choose whether to become a mind flayer or let Orpheus become one felt like false urgency for the sake of forcing a dramatic choice, and the Emperor/Dream Guardian could have been entirely left out of the story. Also there was nothing in the ending with Astarion, who I romanced and turned into an all powerful vampire and also he turned me into a vampire (spawn) but there's no mention of this. We just agree to go drinking with the boys.

Realistically there is no way Karlach lives on Avernus and doesn’t get swiped by Zariel eventually. Zariel may not be a god, but in Avernus she’s close, and Karlach is the apple of her eye.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
also karlach spends the whole game saying she'd rather die than go back

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Horizon Burning posted:

also karlach spends the whole game saying she'd rather die than go back

I didn't have to convince her, I told her to do what she wanted. That's what she chose.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
idk you made it sound like she got guilt-tripped by wyll the most boring guy to sell his soul to a devil in all the forgotten realms :shrug:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I also got that ending and the implication is that while she talked a big talk about dying rather than going back to hell, when actually faced with death (and the accompanying pain) she chose to live. Wyll just gave her one final out.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
Dying when you're like 30 is not very good. I guess going to hell while you're still alive is also bad.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
She just needs to level up a bit more in hell then she can just beat Zariels rear end

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

worm girl posted:

now the two of them are heroes who hunt devils down there

They exit stage left and you never hear from either again so it could be that, or they got captured and enslaved immediately, who the gently caress knows. Game really needed some ending slides. :argh:

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
That part was fine I thought, in my playthrough. They basically continue adventuring together and you even got to talk to Karhlac a bit. It wasn't perfect but I preferred it over turning her into a mindflayer or letting her combust, especially in an adventure setting like this.

It was the only decent ending I got, apart from my romance Laezel who I told to go back to her home planet and fight with the frogfolk. Though they should totally have invited me :colbert:

Meanwhile:

- Astarion starts burning alive and goes "whoops" and literally runs offscreen. Oh, OK?
- Shadowheart does literally nothing. I think she got one line where she basically said "yay we're saved"
- Halsin cheers (does nothing)
- Jaheeira cheers (does nothing)
- Minsc cheers (does nothing)
- I had peer pressured Gale into taking the crown the entire game and by the end he just goes "I'll take the crown, sure. It's at the bottom of the sea but i'm sure itll work out" but you don't get to see any of it.

Poor stuff

Collapsing Farts fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Aug 23, 2023

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
The experience rewards are incredibly badly balanced. Kill a level 17 undead dragon? 400xp. A puny kobold that dies in one hit? 125xp. "Find" the literal entrance to a city? 500xp. Stumble on a centuries forgotten mystical dungeon? Uhh... 90xp, yeah, that sounds good.

This is just stupid.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Speaking of the big undead dragon fight, at one point it flew to the middle and did a huge AoE that one-shot my team. It said to take cover and I took cover behind the crystals in the room, but I still got oneshot. What were you supposed to do in that fight?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Darkest Auer posted:

"Find" the literal entrance to a city?

I would describe that as "enter Baldur's Gate, the literal title of the game and the place your quest has been vaguely pointing towards for dozens of hours."

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Darkest Auer posted:

The experience rewards are incredibly badly balanced. Kill a level 17 undead dragon? 400xp. A puny kobold that dies in one hit? 125xp. "Find" the literal entrance to a city? 500xp. Stumble on a centuries forgotten mystical dungeon? Uhh... 90xp, yeah, that sounds good.

This is just stupid.

This is how I gave experience when I ran D&D games, but I have attention deficit disorder.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Collapsing Farts posted:

Speaking of the big undead dragon fight, at one point it flew to the middle and did a huge AoE that one-shot my team. It said to take cover and I took cover behind the crystals in the room, but I still got oneshot. What were you supposed to do in that fight?

Elixir of Lightning Resistance and Warding Bond saved everyone except Shadowheart.

Clarste posted:

I would describe that as "enter Baldur's Gate, the literal title of the game and the place your quest has been vaguely pointing towards for dozens of hours."

Fair enough I guess, but I still say that it cheapens finding those optional dungeons.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
the funniest bug is probably the one where gale kills himself to stop the netherbrain in act 3, then he shows up at the end of the game fine and healthy

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Collapsing Farts posted:

I decided to break out the invulnerable sphere for that after falling into the crystal trap.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I just dodged it with my monk and survived it with my barbarian and they finished off the dragon themselves. It is kind if dumb that the game's advice does almost nothing.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

Horizon Burning posted:

the funniest bug is probably the one where gale kills himself to stop the netherbrain in act 3, then he shows up at the end of the game fine and healthy

shapeshifter :stare:

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Oh jeez there's an undead dragon too? First I never found Raphael and now this

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

Jarvisi posted:

Oh jeez there's an undead dragon too? First I never found Raphael and now this

You missed some good content brother

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
And I thought I was slouching by not finding all the clown parts.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

https://www.reddit.com/r/BaldursGate3/comments/15yhw60/all_of_astarions_reactions_re_death_by_solar_lance/

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Collapsing Farts posted:

Breaking those crystals causes them to emit an AoE buff that halves elemental damage taken and lasts for a turn or two. So rather than hiding behind them to block the big move, you're supposed to run up around one, smash it, then only take half damage from the big move. Or elixirs, or protection from elements, or globe of invuln, or so many different things!

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
ah

I ended up just bursting him down before he could burst me down

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

yeah i should've used far more astarion than i did lmao

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

worm girl posted:

Also there was nothing in the ending with Astarion, who I romanced and turned into an all powerful vampire and also he turned me into a vampire (spawn) but there's no mention of this. We just agree to go drinking with the boys.

Collapsing Farts posted:

That part was fine I thought, in my playthrough. They basically continue adventuring together and you even got to talk to Karhlac a bit. It wasn't perfect but I preferred it over turning her into a mindflayer or letting her combust, especially in an adventure setting like this.

It was the only decent ending I got, apart from my romance Laezel who I told to go back to her home planet and fight with the frogfolk. Though they should totally have invited me :colbert:

So there have been some posts on Reddit alleging that this is a bug, that Karlach's ending will displace others under certain circumstances:

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

worm girl posted:

However those are minor gripes and only stand out because they are different from the tidal wave of goodwill I still have for the devs for making me feel like a kid again. I am not vulnerable to cheap nostalgia bait and that isn't what this was. Running into Sarevok, Jaheira, and Minsc felt like coming home again, and realizing that Withers is Jergal felt like something right out of one of the old paperbacks. So thank you Larian, that was wonderful.

I don't really consider sending her back to avernus saving her, Even though that's what I did, especially given how she talks about it throughout the entire game. As far as gortash goes my guy should.not have setup in a room that launches throwable force grenades at you, he was dead on round two when his shield dropped.

I do definitely think the ending is the absolute weakest part of this game

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Collapsing Farts posted:

She just needs to level up a bit more in hell then she can just beat Zariels rear end

Zariel is pretty tough but comparing her stat block to the noise you can get put up against by the end of the game... as long as Karlach and Wyll had a source of radiant damage between them they could probably finagle it.

I have no idea how Karlach turned out because the game had somebody said she was about to pass after everyone pulled themselves out of the river but she wasn't there and it didn't cut to a scene with her, but everyone's outro was about that anemic so not a surprise I guess.

Caidin fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Aug 23, 2023

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Well on my blind run got some questionable companion endings.

Sided with Orpheus because the Emperor asking for the wombo stones seemed very sus. Did not manage to break Lae'zel out of Vlaakith worship so we ended up backstabbing her to save Orpheus. Naturally no one cared.

Also if you gently caress up and let Shadowheart go full Sharran she dumps you at the end of the game, which I found hilarious.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Not expecting Sven to comment on Act 3 stuff until a few months after all the console releases have happened but I'm hoping he says "Yeah we're going to make a definitive edition rather than DLC expansion and add all that back in".

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Thom12255 posted:

Not expecting Sven to comment on Act 3 stuff until a few months after all the console releases have happened but I'm hoping he says "Yeah we're going to make a definitive edition rather than DLC expansion and add all that back in".

It seems like the most obvious way to do a enhanced edition. I love the game. Like every moment up to the actual ending scenes are my favorite. The ending just is so I don't really think about it.

But if they added the upper level and added epilogue it would go from my favorite rpg to my favorite rpg with a power gap

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

worm girl posted:

If you consider that "saving" her, then letting her sacrifice herself to turn into a mindflayer is still a better option.

There's no happy ending for her and I am okay with that.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Collapsing Farts posted:

Exact same thing happened to me. I'm almost positive this was something they wanted to include but had to cut and forgot to cut the "take cover" line

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Collapsing Farts posted:

I threw a backpack full of smokepowder bombs at him then detonated it. One hit kill.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Grand Fromage posted:

I threw a backpack full of smokepowder bombs at him then detonated it. One hit kill.

Lmao to help keep my inventory clear I keep all of the throwables in a bag. I had never considered throwing the bag and then firebolting it

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

holy poo poo that's genius.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Those heads/brains you could talk to on the mindflayer machine-thing were hosed up

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
So is it the emperor in the cinematic? The guy who stuffs our brain full o´ bugs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Nah that's just standard illithid getup. Not a lot of places you can shop for clothes when you're a giant space squid man.