Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
Karlach would have been fine if they hadn't dropped so many hints that her engine was gonna be fixable. If you're a good-aligned character then by the end you're most likely best friends with the Gondians, who engineered technology based on the heart and probably understand it well, plus another, different group of super engineers in the Ironhands.

You're told that Karlach is closely related to the Steel Watchers and then you pick up a special piece of infernal iron from the Watchers but you can't do anything with it.

It's not like I'm saying Karlach should just go ask Elminster to Mary Sue the engine away, but the game does really indicate that after you deal with the Steel Watcher forge you're gonna be able to do something with the engine.

It doesn't feel like a proper story arc it just feels like they didn't finish the questline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I wouldn't say no to more Karlach but some theoretical definitive edition content that's like "whoops looks like we found the super infernal iron to fix your heart after all" would be a significantly less interesting outcome than the endings that are already out there, and I think everyone kind of understands this implicitly. Because it would require no actual thought from the player and would be what everyone who likes Karlach at all would choose to do, what I would choose to do, rather than being something you'd actually have to think about. I don't feel "but other characters get 100% good endings" is all that convincing to me, either, unless you believe that every companion's outcome should be equally happy or tragic. I feel that one of the reasons why Karlach is one of the best and most memorable characters in the game is that contrast between her personality and the weight of what she is grappling with.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Casey Finnigan posted:

Idk I thought the goblins acted pretty goblin-like. They were stupid and violent cause they're goblins.

I also didn't think they were extravagantly evil. They wanted to sack and raid stuff and were allying with what seemed to be the strongest group around to increase their chances of success. Other than that they just wanted to hang out and party. Pretty relatable and human, I thought.

I ended up killing off most of the goblin camp and feeling pretty bad about it once the gith and some others talked about my genocidal accomplishments.

Like I don't question that they're acting like every goblin in every videogame ever, it's just that that portrayal is utterly boring to me.

I just don't really find the choice between eating children on one hand and, well, not, to be particularly compelling.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
Idk unless I missed something I didn't think they were on the level of eating children. They raid and pillage and then party with their ill-gotten gains. They're like raiders in Fallout or pirates or something.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Karlach is particularly annoying because one of the other core characters is literally sitting around with a divine favor from her god in her back pocket.

Shadowheart, You got any opinions on the Karlach situation? Oh really, none at all? Nothing you can do? You know what, go camp out in the corner with Gale and Haslin. This is why I even like Jahiera better than you.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Eifert Posting posted:

Karlach is particularly annoying because one of the other core characters is literally sitting around with a divine favor from her god in her back pocket.

Shadowheart, You got any opinions on the Karlach situation? Oh really, none at all? Nothing you can do? You know what, go camp out in the corner with Gale and Haslin. This is why I even like Jahiera better than you.

She does if you let Karlach become a mindflayer and it's just sorta :geno:. (I assumed you didn't bother to bring her to the finale.)

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Nov 1, 2023

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

exquisite tea posted:

I feel that one of the reasons why Karlach is one of the best and most memorable characters in the game is that contrast between her personality and the weight of what she is grappling with.

I can totally understand preferring a more nuanced dilemma over "Here's The Good Ending, you can get a bad ending if you don't give a poo poo I guess", I just don't think it really lands because there are so many possible solutions in the setting that aren't explored. Even ignoring the obviously unfinished content around the enriched iron in act 3, your other characters can canonically die and get brought back without it being a big deal. Gale has his little sidequest with his scroll of true resurrection, Lae'zel has a different intro if she dies on the ship and you revive her on the beach, Astarion has his funny rant after dying in the monastery collapse, that sort of thing.

And, sure, you can come up with some lore explanation as to why being turned to ash by a solar laser is fine but having your mechanical heart burn up or get removed means you're dead for good, but you have to actually put that in the text (and preferably have it be something that makes sense on its own and isn't just a transparent post-hoc justification), otherwise it just feels arbitrary.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Honestly I would have preferred that we had a different third option for the mind flayer dilemma than karlach becoming one and just had the choice of her dying or returning to avernus.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
The thing with Karlach and her depressing endings is that they feel a bit out of place because BG3 largely isn't that kind of game thematically. For the most part other than Wyll and maybe Astarion everyone else gets to live happily ever after. I guess the PC can also have a bad ending but it feels like you're meant to make Orpheus or the Emperor be Mind Flayers anyways.

Compare that to say an Obsidian rpg where they tend to write grimmer endings. In Pillars of Eternity or KOTOR 2 or games like those your companions might get somewhat happy endings but they're usually tinged with failures or depressing circumstances. But every character tends to get treated that way.

I think players would be more accepting of Karlach's ending if most of the other companions got endings like she did, but since she's the only one getting an ending that grimdark a lot of players feel cheated.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I mean Shadowheart either ends the game as a monster or with severe PTSD and possibly cursed, Wyll without his dad, damned to the hells or fighting in avernus, gale can sacrifice himself or go completely power mad with the crown, astarion can also end up a monster or be banished to the shadows forever and Lae'zel can watch her prince be turned into the thing she hates most while she prepares to launch a guerilla war or meets her fate with the lich queen.
The origin characters have it rough.

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Nov 1, 2023

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

exquisite tea posted:

I wouldn't say no to more Karlach but some theoretical definitive edition content that's like "whoops looks like we found the super infernal iron to fix your heart after all" would be a significantly less interesting outcome than the endings that are already out there, and I think everyone kind of understands this implicitly. Because it would require no actual thought from the player and would be what everyone who likes Karlach at all would choose to do, what I would choose to do, rather than being something you'd actually have to think about. I don't feel "but other characters get 100% good endings" is all that convincing to me, either, unless you believe that every companion's outcome should be equally happy or tragic. I feel that one of the reasons why Karlach is one of the best and most memorable characters in the game is that contrast between her personality and the weight of what she is grappling with.

I don't consider the current endings to be interesting, so it's not possible for them to make a less interesting one. Making it so her only possibility is to go back to the hells, die from something that should be easily fixed, or turn into a mind flayer is just being bleak for bleakness sake since it counter to the world established in game and the greater lore of the game. You've got direct divine intervention from a god, you repeatedly die and come back to life and have a scroll of true resurrection hanging around, in the pen and paper world you've got spells that completely replace or repair a body, and in the game they specifically establish that some infernal engines work in Faerun and you meet the mechanics who make them.

It's about as 'interesting' of an ending to me as some teenager typing out a bunch of racial slurs to be edgy is as a post, it's forcing in an 'edge' that isn't really there.

Casey Finnigan posted:

I mean, I dunno, there have been plenty of groups of people historically that did all of those things and enjoyed it just fine. It really did not strike me as beyond the pale for fictional bad guys.

There are plenty of groups of people historically that would qualify as extravagantly evil and beyond the pale, so I'm not sure why pointing out their existence is relevant. I think you're using 'extravagantly evil' and 'beyond the pale' to mean something very different than I would here, neither the historical or fictional ones are people I'd consider 'relateable', certainly not people I'd be worried about killing to protect the people that aren't engaged in torturing people to death for fun from being tortured to death for fun. To clarify:

Casey Finnigan posted:

Idk unless I missed something I didn't think they were on the level of eating children. They raid and pillage and then party with their ill-gotten gains. They're like raiders in Fallout or pirates or something.

Raiders in fallout are definitely 'extravagantly evil' and 'beyond the pale', they are typically chilling right next to the mutilated bodies of people that they captured and tortured to death. I don't have a problem if someone wants to play an evil character in an RPG, but saying that stuff like capturing people, holding them as slaves, and torturing them to death doesn't count as very much evil is a rather weird take to me.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I mean yeah I don't know. I don't think raiding villages and torturing people is that severe of a crime in the DnD world where like canonically one of the countries is ruled by a necromancer that transformed most of his population into undead thralls.

Also if the raiders in Fallout are extravagantly evil then that means the player character is too, considering their unbelievably large body count and piles and piles of stolen loot. PC in Fallout is just a successful raider. Some of the raider camps in Fallout 4 have pretty interesting backstories but you just waltz in and blast everyone to bits, then steal everything they own.

e: the goblin stuff just didn't bug me at all. It makes sense why a bunch of raiders are all fine with ruining a bunch of innocent lives. It's how they make their living, and they care much more about themselves than others. Pretty human behavior

I also didn't feel good about just killing them off.

Kinda makes sense that they'd probably just go and attack the grove again if you left them alive but a) why should I have any obligation to massacre a bunch of goblins for the sake of some druids that refused to even assist the tieflings during the last attack (in my game), b) the most powerful part of their fighting force is already eliminated and c) a bunch of lovely people praise you for it

Casey Finnigan fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Nov 1, 2023

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I think the point was that you don't need to go into the weeds of D&D racial alignment discourse to justify why someone would want to kill people and take their stuff, since that is something regular humans have been motivated to do.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Lawman 0 posted:

I mean Shadowheart either ends the game as a monster or with severe PTSD and possibly cursed, Wyll without his dad, damned to the hells or fighting in avernus, gale can sacrifice himself or go completely power mad with the crown, astarion can also end up a monster or be banished to the shadows forever and Lae'zel can watch her prince be turned into the thing she hates most while she prepares to launch a guerilla war or meets her fate with the lich queen.
You can pretty trivially save Wyll's dad and end his contract.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Count me as someone who was bummed that goblins were there to just exist to be evil. There isn't even something like meeting a big group of them who were going along with things because the rest of them were meddling with a terrible force that essentially brainwashed them and didn't want to face annihilation. The grove at least had Shadow Druids infiltrating and radicalizing a leader while it had others who were torn on what to do. The goblins just exist to being a low challenge encounter that you can kill without any moral scruples. For their effort to make things "interesting" they sure dropped the ball with them.

Guess they still think races should have inherent alignment.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Lawman 0 posted:

If we look at the good endings for the characters: Shadowheart gets her family back with a dose of PTSD and a pain curse but that feels like a fairly positive ending for her. Wyll has to go hunt demons but the nature of his contract means he only has to kill demons so Mizora can probably jerk him around only so much. And Wyll hunting monsters is what he wants to do anyways. Astarion has to live in the shadows but he's free of the dude who tortured him for hundreds of years. Gale gives the crown back and gets not only Mystra's forgiveness but gets to live again. Lae'zel is a rebel who is going to try to lead crusades against Vlaakith but there seems to be a sizeable Githyanki contingent willing to work with her so that might end ok. At the least she's doing what she loves/believes in.

Karlach's the only one who gets a truly hosed ending because she's either dead or she has to live in hell forever. Wyll also has to do the hell thing but at least it's his choice and he also has a patron who is invested in keeping him alive and happy enough to keep serving.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Terrible Opinions posted:

You can pretty trivially save Wyll's dad and end his contract.

I didn't figure it out the first time around. :(
Edit: Yeah I wasn't trying to be a jerk about it or anything I was just trying to draw a comparison.
I also think that the actual burning death scene looks pretty profoundly awful on the docks and is just incredibly awkward like basically all the scenes between lae'zels farewell and your final romance scene/withers.

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Nov 1, 2023

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Jimbot posted:

Count me as someone who was bummed that goblins were there to just exist to be evil. There isn't even something like meeting a big group of them who were going along with things because the rest of them were meddling with a terrible force that essentially brainwashed them and didn't want to face annihilation. The grove at least had Shadow Druids infiltrating and radicalizing a leader while it had others who were torn on what to do. The goblins just exist to being a low challenge encounter that you can kill without any moral scruples. For their effort to make things "interesting" they sure dropped the ball with them.

Guess they still think races should have inherent alignment.

if they had a splinter group of goblins who were still all Cockney and weird but also good they'd be the most popular NPCs in the game

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Pattonesque posted:

if they had a splinter group of goblins who were still all Cockney and weird but also good they'd be the most popular NPCs in the game

There was that one goblin in the cage who refused to bow to the absolute because Maglubiyet supposedly keeps them in line (as disposable slaves).

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

cant cook creole bream posted:

There was that one goblin in the cage who refused to bow to the absolute because Maglubiyet supposedly keeps them in line (as disposable slaves).

I freed that guy after I slaughtered the goblin camp but he got immediately chased down and eaten by Minthara's spiders, oops.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Pattonesque posted:

Knowing the player base, they'd demand one as a romance option too. Maybe even have them send the player love letters like the one for Minthara you can find under the waterfall.

drat, I should've tried delivering it to her.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Durge question. When do you find out that they were apparently a necrophile.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I don't think I have a durge playthrough in me. I can deal with the random murders of people but speak with animals is genuinely a highlight of the game and I don't want to go into every conversation worried I'm going to murder them for no reason.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
There's like 5 instances across 50 hours where that's an issue to consider

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Eifert Posting posted:

I don't think I have a durge playthrough in me. I can deal with the random murders of people but speak with animals is genuinely a highlight of the game and I don't want to go into every conversation worried I'm going to murder them for no reason.

you can be the "reformed" durge. jahera digs it.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Black Noise posted:

Durge question. When do you find out that they were apparently a necrophile.

If you eat the Noblestalk (from some Underdark side quest) after meeting your butler.

I thought the Dark Urge stuff was way, way too much. The backstory stuff you hear about them is so over the top evil that even a reformed Durge should probably kill themself knowing there's no path forward of atonement. Durge seems more evil than most demons even.
I liked the high level of it, and if you ignore large parts of the backstory. I think it pairs super well with Minthara, who I think nails the general idea a bit better.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Antifa Spacemarine posted:

If you eat the Noblestalk (from some Underdark side quest) after meeting your butler.

I thought the Dark Urge stuff was way, way too much. The backstory stuff you hear about them is so over the top evil that even a reformed Durge should probably kill themself knowing there's no path forward of atonement. Durge seems more evil than most demons even.
I liked the high level of it, and if you ignore large parts of the backstory. I think it pairs super well with Minthara, who I think nails the general idea a bit better.

Durge is probably on par with Raphael and the Demons in pathfinder, there was a player in the WOTR and BG3 threads that also overlooked the fact that if you embrace chaotic evil you pretty much invite a bunch of rapists into Drezen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXRpLBuD4Yo

I found the answer to my question it was in a cut scene our durge player made private. I don't think they picked this dialogue option but Durge and their Paladin friend in our co-op run seem to have been avoiding selecting the "difficult" dialogues regarding Bhaalspawn. When you rescue Volo you can ask "What if the Bhaalspawn doesn't do the right thing?" and they (Paladin) just skipped it despite the other people voting for that choice so there is probably treachery in the works. I was really hoping the threat of oath breaking was going to keep them in check and surprisingly little reactivity with that as well.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

*rolls into the thread with a heavy load of ~discourse~*

Ok I'm gonna say it Shadowheart isn't very well written and comes off as a bit sexist.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Her dying her hair instead of it being selune/shar magic bullshit is incredibly funny to me for some reason

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Lawman 0 posted:

*rolls into the thread with a heavy load of ~discourse~*

Ok I'm gonna say it Shadowheart isn't very well written and comes off as a bit sexist.

No amount of mind wiping can get rid of her core mindset of bratty spoiled rich girl

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

trevorreznik posted:

No amount of mind wiping can get rid of her core mindset of bratty spoiled rich girl

Yup that's absolutely a vibe she gives off and it isn't helped that she suffers heavily from not getting enough actual positive character development in act 3. Instead we get a laundry list of fun facts about what she's interested in and no social scenes of her writing poetry or whatever or developing a hobby.
I'm thinking about this because by comparison Lae'zel is much more tightly written and is capable of showing emotional vulnerability without it taking away from her core characteristics as a fierce and skilled warrior. Also that she actually you know has an end sequence and is a core part of the endgame.
edit: Also I find that her being an obvious problem drinker isn't funny and pretty gross.

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Nov 18, 2023

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Perfect Potato posted:

Her dying her hair instead of it being selune/shar magic bullshit is incredibly funny to me for some reason

Lae'zel, who is otherwise super aware of even small changes in her threat zone, not being able to figure out that Shadowheart dyed her hair is hilarious

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Her changing her hairstyle after breaking up with her goddess felt a little sexist yeah. That’s like a 90s stand up bit applied to the dnd world.

She’s less of a self obsessed brat than Gale though.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

With Gale I openly became angry with him trying to fish the crown out of the water since I had literally just talked to him about not doing it LITERALLY the day before and the game was like "what if you changed your mind though" and I was incredibly pissed that it didn't respect the decisions I had already decided.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Eifert Posting posted:

If the game went to lvl 20 Gale could Wish the problem away too.

Going to Avernus to help Karlach solve her issue is a nice DLC hook too (or a sequel in BG 4).

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Yeah I think it's pretty appropriate. As much as we have bitched about the ending it does lend itself to doing whatever.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Karsite Dracolich Gale is the final boss in BG4

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Best Friends posted:

Her changing her hairstyle after breaking up with her goddess felt a little sexist yeah. That’s like a 90s stand up bit applied to the dnd world.

She’s less of a self obsessed brat than Gale though.

Nah, changing your hairstyle after a pivotal moment is just an anime trope. It's also something people do in real life as well, but Shart is obviously an anime.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Changing your hair after a big life moment isn pretty stock standard visual story telling. The specifics are gendered, you're rarely gonna have a woman shave their head like a man will in fiction, but it isn't inherently a sexist bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Terrible Opinions posted:

Changing your hair after a big life moment isn pretty stock standard visual story telling. The specifics are gendered, you're rarely gonna have a woman shave their head like a man will in fiction, but it isn't inherently a sexist bit.
Yeah it's fine honestly and an improvement to her appearance.
I mean really what I'm trying to lead up to here is that I can't shake the feeling that she really just a princess in need of rescue by a big strong hero/heroine and we could you know probably do a bit better than that in TYOL 2023?