Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

I’m asking here because the quest is still bugged but has anyone ascended as Origin Astarion? I can see that there is a camp event after the Black Mass via script extender commands but I think that is triggered by him as an NPC. I didn’t get the other bite scenes either but I can see them in the list of night events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Lawman 0 posted:

Yeah it's fine honestly and an improvement to her appearance.
I mean really what I'm trying to lead up to here is that I can't shake the feeling that she really just a princess in need of rescue by a big strong hero/heroine and we could you know probably do a bit better than that in TYOL 2023?

No, she isn't? She's no more a "princess in need of rescue" than Astarion, the dude you literally do need to rescue in his questline. She's a companion who has a flawed outlook and tragic backstorytm that you help her overcome in the game, which true for almost all companion quests in CRPG's.

In fact, she's the only companion who saves you in the game so she's ahead of everyone else if you think about it.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
She does? When does she save you?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Collapsing Farts posted:

Goblin camp if you don't pick her up on the beach/grove.
I don't think that really counts because realistically at least 50% of players are gonna rescue her on the ship.
Edit: Also let's be real astarion is 100% a dude in distress by virtue of his tragic backstory. He gives you the same puppy dog eyes treatment that Shadowheart gives you on the beach when he asks to bite you.
Larian 100% knew what they were doing with both of these thirst traps and honestly I respect them for playing so openly to players egos.

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Nov 19, 2023

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Collapsing Farts posted:

Lawman 0 posted:

Goblin camp if you don't pick her up on the beach/grove.
I don't think that really counts because realistically at least 50% of players are gonna rescue her on the ship.
Edit: Also let's be real astarion is 100% a dude in distress by virtue of his tragic backstory. He gives you the same puppy dog eyes treatment that Shadowheart gives you on the beach when he asks to bite you.

She also whips out the Prism to save everyone if you do pick her up, but maybe only if she's in your party? And only if she still has it in her inventory? IDK she was a permanent member for me and I didn't take the Prism until the game made me.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Shadowheart feels like the least interesting companion to me but I don't see the princess in need of rescue thing at all.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

1: Posh accent
2: Wears something crownlike for a headpiece.
3: Starts the game as an obvious damsel in distress.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Gale and Lae'zel are just as much of damsels in distress in their recruitment :shrug:

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

All of the companions are pretty emotionally helpless without the player, but that's kind of the nature of a lot of crpgs. Gale is really the only exception, and it's because it's a manipulative bad boyfriend fantasy instead.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Lizzy rules Asty and Karlach rule. Gale kinda sucks but is useful. The rest, eh.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Terrible Opinions posted:

All of the companions are pretty emotionally helpless without the player, but that's kind of the nature of a lot of crpgs. Gale is really the only exception, and it's because it's a manipulative bad boyfriend fantasy instead.

True, true since in a good run withers post credit speeches subtext is that he gathered the 6 most powerfully stupid assholes and some guy/the durge on the sword coast to dunk on the dead three.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Minthara straight up gives puppy eyes when she's sentenced to death and you have to save her. And yet, her chapter is the least in distress of everyone once she's out of danger.

She played us like a fiddle!

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Anyways to return to shadowheart her questline and character would have been much improved if she was you know actually a street peas. [Taken in by sharrans] and kept that as a background. You could have just sent her off to reconnect with her relatives at the end of the game, easy peasy.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Nephthys posted:

She also whips out the Prism to save everyone if you do pick her up, but maybe only if she's in your party? And only if she still has it in her inventory? IDK she was a permanent member for me and I didn't take the Prism until the game made me.

Yeah, the second you dismiss her for a bit, that cursed prism is bound to your MC.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

cant cook creole bream posted:

Yeah, the second you dismiss her for a bit, that cursed prism is bound to your MC.

Huh, it's cool that they made a whole different version of that scene for if you never dismissed her from the party. I looked it up and it's actually pretty different from the scene I got, it got quite tense because Lae'zel was also in the party and naturally got very pissed off at Shart revealing she has the artifact.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I would have killed for another bit of tension about it in act 2 since it would have given lae'zel some characterization in that act.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
She's mad, op.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
It does suck that Lae'zel has basically nothing for her character storyline in act 2 besides the initial cutscene with Voss and maybe the gith ambush further in the map but then Act 2 is kind of a story wasteland for most of the party except Shadowheart. (I assume moreso on the for companions you don't take with you in the main party - like, Gale has his whole 'blow up the Absolute' bit but I literally never used him so basically nothing happened with him in the entirety of A2; same with Wyll and rescuing Mizora.)

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

After using party limit remover I really can't imagine going back, it really filled in a bunch of gaps for me on the second run.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

I like the guy complaining in the party limit begone comments about the game being too easy. Like he’s almost got it. He’s so close.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Is there a way to have Karlach romance Minthara? Minthara speaks highly of Karlach so the idea is interesting, but I don't know of a way (that doesn't require some goofy sticking people in chests or whatever) to get both Minthara and Dammon into act 2.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Shaman chant changes preventing Shadow Shaman Lann and Ember from giving me perpetual double protective luck. :argh:

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

NeurosisHead posted:

Is there a way to have Karlach romance Minthara? Minthara speaks highly of Karlach so the idea is interesting, but I don't know of a way (that doesn't require some goofy sticking people in chests or whatever) to get both Minthara and Dammon into act 2.

Someone's managed it with the Karlach origin, I think, because I've seen cutscene clips of their endgame interaction. How they managed it, no actual idea unless they used the mod that lets you have her at the tiefling party to kick off her romance.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Yeah I can't think of a legit way. There's no transition that I'm aware of that involves Dammon being alive for the second upgrade in act 2. Unless maybe agreeing to attack with Minthara, then betraying her to support the tieflings and using non-lethal to disable her would work. Maybe a sense of indebtedness for freeing her from prison in act 2 would override her indignation at betraying and opposing her so she'll actually join up?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
there is a very convoluted way to recruit minthara and rescue the dammon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NA-fOwXQlo

Countzer
May 27, 2022
Shadowheart is a rather stereotypical goth-y vibe'd character, in that she's angsty, 'cultured', kind of snobish, and pretty sexually kinky. Her story is about loss, she worships the goddess that idealizes loss, her personal quest is about overcoming her crisis of faith and accepting loving herself instead of fetishizing her trauma. She's fine for what she is, and I cannot say that there's something about her character that doesn't make sense.

While I don't have an issue with Karlach personality-wise, I find her personality and her backstory to be pretty dissonant. I cannot picture a person that grew up in a shithole like Baldur's Gate, who lived as a merc then got sold off to Hell, fought for an Archdevil, to be the golden retriever of the party. Besides her initial outburst at the mercs out to get her, she doesn't really have any trauma to deal with and it boggles my mind. She is a character that got betrayed by the guy she trusted, then spent a decade in hell, in a court full of sycophants & backstabbers. Where's the damage? In a game that delights giving its characters tragic backstories and having those characters be damaged by them, Karlach stands out as the one that doesn't really have any real internal issues.

Her entire character conflict is external. It's all about the infernal engine. Sure, we can chalk it up to her being underwritten in general, but this extends beyond her quest. She doesn't really show much distrust or paranoia and besides a penchant for violence (which everyone has, this is D&D sociopathy) she seems to have come out of things largely unscathed. Despite, arguably, having it the worst alongside Shadowheart & Astareon.

I don't mind her character as such, I just don't feel like it fits the backstory at all. A decade in Hell should break people. And that's besides growing up in the lower city of Baldur's Gate, a shithole where murder is just about banal.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

It's not like Catholic hell, she was basically forcibly conscripted into an army which people manage to do without being mentally broken.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The Blood War is supposed to be far worse than any real life war, and most people who are in continuous combat zones for 10 years in real life do have significant mental issues. Not like Baator lets people have leave.

Though it's a bit weird that this game has a significant hell plot but almost all its residents are animals, cambions, and imps. I think the only real Baatezu in the whole game are Yurgir and his retinue.

Countzer
May 27, 2022
I never said it is catholic hell. She served in the court of an Archdevil. Devils are duplicitous self-serving bastards that backstab everyone to get ahead (as long as it's done *legally* or *as the contract permits*), that don't tolerate failure and will abuse their position on a whim. They also absolutely abhor irrerevent and generally chaotic individuals (which is what Karlach is) and will make their lives poo poo if they are in a position to do so.

Setting that aside, the war she fought in is the Blood War. A war fought between the two most evil cosmic forces in the setting, on the realms quite literally shaped by metaphysical evil and whose energies influence and change the mortals that end up in them. Karlach has been there a decade.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Karlach worked pretty well for me - she's absolutely ecstatic to have 'escaped' and is able to stuff her trauma away fairly effectively. Her big scene is after killing Gortash, where she absolutely breaks down and needs time away from the party to handle everything.

Then you just recruit her back like 2 seconds later. I understand why - she's a character a lot of people use, and Gortash is usually the penultimate step people take in beating the game, so you don't want to have them have to do a bunch of long rests for no reason.

In a way, it would have worked better to have it so you couldn't do Orin without resolving Gortash first.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I think the real issue is that they totally cocked up Gortash by denying us the opportunity to actually be actually lawful evil with him and rule together.
Also that they cut him from the upper city and put him in a glorified guard tower.
I'm gonna be frank and just say that I was extremely disappointed that like 60% of the dark urge stuff was cringe chaotic evil (the objectively worst and most stupid alignment) dialogue options tailor made for edgy zoomer twitch streamers to have their audience vote on.
It's only partially redeemed by the somewhat compelling resist the urge path with the "don't kill your lover" scene being the most emotional I got with a video game for a while and the initial reveals during act 2 and 3 that fill in alot of the plot. Of course though it's then let down by the lack of appropriate companion commentary/reactivity during certain critical moments land of contrasts, etc.
Anyways my kingdom for an actual lawful/neutral evil path in CRPG's but every dev seems addicted to the "kicks puppies" kinda evil.
Like I have a Sharran Shadowheart origin run planned out for whenever I return to the game and honestly in my head it's pretty compelling thematic to her and the Shar's neutral evil Ethos.
I'm gonna seduce Gale to keep him onside and then have him sacrifice himself at the end of the game, embrace loss btich.

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Nov 22, 2023

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Those of y'all who have gotten the epilogue to work how did you like it?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Eifert Posting posted:

Those of y'all who have gotten the epilogue to work how did you like it?

As I said in the main thread it's pretty alright and gives closure for our companions and adventure even if it's overstuffed with memey fanservice and DLC/sequel hooks (which is fine) go for it Larian.
Mostly it seems to give Shadowheart (I noticed she has new, better lines at the docks as well), Halsin, and Astarion actual detail to their non romanced endings and they mostly succeed in undoing how done dirty they were in a regular ending. Gale also has a quite nice change and Wyll gets alot of much needed detail. Looks like Lae'zel and Karlach are the obvious sequel/DLC hooks and honestly I would totally be hyped to go to the astral plane. Neil kills it as Astarion as usual and he gets some nice further character development (I got the spawn ending) to show his shift in alignment. Jaheria and Minsc get some nice details and you get to bullshit with Volo and "Daddy" Halsin; didn't recruit Minthara so I have no opinion of her.
I'm pretty content overall with it, doesn't fix how dumb the ending/finale overall but it puts a big band-aid over it since alot of us probably were just wondering about the fate of our companions and what we did with our romance partner which it fills out a bit. So it works I guess. :shrug:
Gonna put this out here and suggest that Shadowheart is likely to suffer the fate that a redeemed and romanced Viconia had in BG2, since she specifically mentions that she [or she and you] fought off Sharran assassins during your travels. [Parents killed, curse lifted ending]

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
From the patch notes:

quote:

Minthara will still appear at Moonrise Towers if she was knocked out in Act I.

Does this mean you can knock out Minthara and recruit her later without killing the Tieflings?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

AngryBooch posted:

From the patch notes:

Does this mean you can knock out Minthara and recruit her later without killing the Tieflings?

Apparently. You’ll still have to choose between her and Halsin at the end of Act 2 though

EDIT: Also you might not be able to romance her this way

RatHat fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Dec 1, 2023

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The new epilogue news is reminding me how annoying the "but thou must" pick between Orpheus you and Karlach is, when Gale literally has an option to do it himself and get put back to normal by mystra in the post game If he's your origin character.

These writers really had it loving out for Karlach.

"NO! YOU ARE THE TRAGIC CHARACTER! STOP SUGGESTING EXTREMELY PLAUSIBLE WORKAROUNDS!"

This is probably :tinfoil: but I assume they knew, between all of the brainworm origin characters, If they gave you the option to pick any of them you would definitely have one you don't give a poo poo about that you would pick by default.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Eifert Posting posted:

The new epilogue news is reminding me how annoying the "but thou must" pick between Orpheus you and Karlach is, when Gale literally has an option to do it himself and get put back to normal by mystra in the post game If he's your origin character.

These writers really had it loving out for Karlach.

"NO! YOU ARE THE TRAGIC CHARACTER! STOP SUGGESTING EXTREMELY PLAUSIBLE WORKAROUNDS!"

This is probably :tinfoil: but I assume they knew, between all of the brainworm origin characters, If they gave you the option to pick any of them you would definitely have one you don't give a poo poo about that you would pick by default.

Agreed it's genuinely one of the dumbest, most forced dilemmas I've ever seen in a video game. That said it seems like Voss and Lae'zel are totally fine with launching the Githyanki civil war without Orpheus so he's just gonna be the designated squid/get his brain ate from now on.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Lawman 0 posted:

Agreed it's genuinely one of the dumbest, most forced dilemmas I've ever seen in a video game. That said it seems like Voss and Lae'zel are totally fine with launching the Githyanki civil war without Orpheus so he's just gonna be the designated squid/get his brain ate from now on.

yeah sorry Orpheus you seemed cool but them's the breaks

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Also one other thing I have to say is that I saw that Vlaakith loyaltist lae'zel gets an utterly brutal epilogue, so props to larian for showing us consequences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Lawman 0 posted:

Also one other thing I have to say is that I saw that Vlaakith loyaltist lae'zel gets an utterly brutal epilogue, so props to larian for showing us consequences.

Can you compile all of these?